SS UU Dreams [1000 posts!] - a SwSh UU RMT

(Click the sprites for the pokepaste!)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Dreams-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, here we are. Honestly, it's hard to fully grasp how big 1000 really is. You get caught up with all of these big figures and huge statistics, and hitting 1000 posts REALLY makes you think about truly how much 1000 is. It's been 3 years on Smogon, and through that time, I've made a decent amount of friends, probably a lot of enemies, and posted way too much for a showdown player who doesn't even play or have a significant role on smogon or showdown. But, honestly, I don't think any of that is truly important. I do think its kinda cool to see all my friends get into these roles, and I am happy for them, but in all reality, it's not the biggest thing in the world. The point is that we're all here to have fun in the end. That's why we like Pokemon, its entertainment, we want to have fun; And I've had a lot of fun recently building.

With April shifts, the metagame was turned on its head and shaken. Losing Zeraora, Skarmory, and Slowking was absolutely huge, and Bisharp and Kyurem were no small loss either. So when losing these and gaining some new tools to mess with, one tends to ask "what's next?". Well, I constructed this in some sort of response to that. Some interesting techs were imployed, some old favorites brought back, and some of the same old faces made a non-surprising return. A concept that I really had wanted to try from SM that seemed fun was Agility Moltres VoltTurn. I figured with the loss of Zeraora and Slowking, as well as the addition of Moltres, Moltres would be pretty scary as a wincon to offense teams not packing a Crawdaunt, Azu, or Lycanroc-Dusk.

As far as the song is concerned, it's the 2nd track off Fleetwood Mac's 1977 album Rumors, which is widely regarded as their best album, and generally viewed as the group's most successful. The song itself was written and is sung by Stevie Nicks, who I will always think as the OG Taylor Swift. Like, she dated the guitarist of Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham (who is an amazing guitarist), and then after they broke up, wrote a song about the breakup and made him PLAY ON IT. Swift has got nothing on Stevie. Anyways, the song was recorded for the album in March of 1977, and released again as the A-side of the album's third single, with Songbird as the B-side. It's probably my favorite Fleetwood Mac song, so I thought that I'd use it as the RMT track this time, with me being on a very strong Fleetwood Mac kick recently. So, let's get into the team!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Teambuilding-Process-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, to have Volt-Turn offense, you kinda need Volt-Turn. Whenever you think of VoltTurn in UU, who are probably the first two pokemon that come to mind? Scizor and Rotom-Wash. Scizor is back to dominating the tier of UU, to the dismay of many SM UU players. It's so threatening with it's ability to just chunk anything that would come in with coverage or just U-turn out of it. The only thing that comes to mind that truly discourages U-turn spamming is Moltres, which doesn't like being Knocked Off, if they risk not being burned by Flame Body. Rotom-Wash compliments Scizor almost perfectly, being able to come in on the fire types and flying types that can overwhelm Scizor, while benefitting from Scizor being able to handle the Grass types that threaten it. It can provide so much to a team, such as hazard control, a ground immunity, flying resist, Scizor answer, and so on. The two together, at least in my mind, are the UU volt-turn core.

oSadly, it isn't a Sickist team if I don't spam Scarf Krookidile on it. I cannot recount how many times I've been yelled at in the UUFPL discord for using this thing. It's just insanely splash-able, and Knock Off is invaluable in the tier at the moment, with everything running Heavy-Duty Boots. Being able to come in on Primarina's choice-locked Psychic is very beneficial too, as well as being able to revenge kill things such as Gyarados, Lycanroc-Dusk, or Raikou. Like I said, Knock Off is just so spammable this generation, so it's far less punishable then it was last generation, at least in my opinion. Krook is also a Ground type, so obviously that's kinda given for any team, even at this point at time where Zeraora doesn't exist anymore.

Again, hard to have Agility Moltres Volt-turn without a Moltres. However, Moltres does a bit more then just setup and win. Moltres, alongside Rotom-Wash, checks Scizor, and discourages other physical attackers with Flame Body. Agility Moltres specifically was a tech I first saw Avarice use in a game, though that's probably not where the set originated. Unfortunately, since Flyinium Z doesn't exist anymore, its slightly less powerful, so you definitely needs to break more before sending this in. Fortunately, Heavy-Duty Boots exist, so Stealth Rocks aren't a factor unless you get Knocked. A lot of common tier presences, such as Tangrowth or Scizor, are Moltres food, so it's still a very potent threat.

Speaking of Knock Off and Stealth Rocks, I wanted something that could give me Rocks, while also coming in on Knock Off. Spore also kinda just got clicked vs this team, which I wasn't too much of a fan of. So, I decided Kommo-o was it. Kommo-o functions as a Stealth Rocker and a breaker, being able to wear down stuff like Milotic, Primarina, Rhyperior, Nihilego, and so on. Overcoat can probably be interchanged if Chandelure becomes a common presence, but for now, I think Overcoat is better, so that's what it is. Rocks are very nice, as a surprising amount of pokemon are 2HKO'd by Hurricane after rocks chip. Kommo-o itself really appreciates Scizor and Moltres coming on fairies, and in return, can help wear down their checks.

Finally, Amoonguss rounds up the team. But this isn't just any Amoonguss, this is Assault Vest Amoonguss, which I think I either invented, or am the first to publically use it and acknowledge its existence. Anyways, AV Amoonguss helps with Raikou, Primarina, Keldeo, Scizor, and a lot of other things in general. It's just such a solid pivot into those kinda things, and REALLY helps with Keldeo, who is either the best or second best pokemon in the tier at the moment. While the lack of Spore is kinda meh, the ability to avoid being setup on by Scizor with Foul Play is very nice. Stomping Tantrum is also very nice for Chandelure or Jirachi that think they can just come in for free. Overall, AV Amoonguss is a very cool pick, and I recommend ya'll try it out at least a couple times.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-In-Depth-Look-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Bullet Punch
U-turn
Knock Off
Superpower

If there was one pokemon that consistently defined UU to the point of being the focal point of controversy, it would be Scizor. With Technician-Boosted Bullet Punch, STAB U-turn, and access to very complimentary coverage moves such as Superpower or Dual Wingbeat, Scizor is a metagame defining pokemon. Steel/Bug, while being 4x weak to fire, is only weak to fire. It is either neutral or resists every other type which gives Scizor insane defensive utility, or amazing setup opportunities depending on what set your running. This Scizor in particular is Choice Band, being able to fire off strong coverage attacks, Bullet Punches, and absolutely painfuly strong U-turns. IN particular, this Scizor is running Superpower, as the rest of the team handles Amoonguss pretty well. EVs are pretty self explanatory, hit as fast and as hard as possible. Scizor is able to break teams that lack a sufficient set of answers to it very efficently, while also being able to help keep the faster pokemon under control with it's priority Bullet Punch. Pokemon like Rhyperior, Tangrowth, or even should be checks, like the Rotoms, beware; this thing will take a chunk of your pokemon and some.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP | 40 Def | 216 Spe
Timid Nature
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Defog
Pain Split

Rotom-Wash got really good with the departure of Zeraora and Kyurem. This team appreciates its ability to function as a Ground immunity, Scizor check, Mamoswine answer, flying resist, hazard control, and pivot. It does so much, and thats what makes it so valuable. Pump and Volt are required, but the last 2 slots are kinda fought between some sort of combination between a status move, such as Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, Defog, and Pain Split. For this build, I went Defog + Pain Split, because that enables Rotom-Wash to take a more defensive approach, allowing it to better check Krookodile and co. while still being able to clear hazards. In particular, Pain Split allows Rotom-Wash to consistently stay healthy, even if it gets Knocked Off, thus thoroughly improving the Krookodile matchup. The EV spread is just the standard spread, being able to outrun Gyarados, and pumping the rest of the EVs into defense to better check the likes of Mamoswine or Scizor.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Earthquake
Knock Off
Stone Edge
Toxic

Krookodile functions as speed control for the team. While Adamant could probably be used for more power, for this team I prefer to keep it Jolly to speed tie other scarf Krook. STABS are pretty self explanatory, but it should be noted if you don't really have a good option to lock yourself into, either double or click Knock Off. Stone Edge allows Krookodile to revenge kill Gyarados, while also hitting more common ground immunities that can either punish Krook for clicking Knock Off, such as Moltres, or that just wall it completely, such as Togekiss. Toxic is the last move, allowing Krook to wear down hard stops to Krook, such as Tangrowth or Buzzwole. EVs are pretty self explanatory, again allowing Krookodile to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Intimidate is chosen over Moxie due to the utility it provides when revenge killing targets such as Lycanroc-Dusk, boosted Scizor, or any other boosted physical threat.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Hurricane
Flamethrower
Roost
Agility

Here it is, the star of the show. People tend to underestimate how strong Moltres is. For example, it has a chance to 2HKO max HP Primarina after rocks, or does roughly 70% to Salamence with Hurricane. However, it still struggles with a lot of things outrunning it. Agility Moltres was a set that, like previously mentioned, popped up around mid USUM as far as I know. While it isnt perfect, and still definitely needs chip on a lot of things to function properly, it's still a very cool wincon. STABs are a given, and Roost allows Moltres to not be absolutely useless if it happens to get Knocked Off, and so it can carry it's weight defensively in checking Scizor and co. as well. Heavy-Duty Boots were a godsend for Moltres, as it doesn't have to Roost every time it comes in anymore. Flame Body is the ability of choice, as it has a 30% chance to burn anything that makes contact, mainly punishing pokemon like Krookodile (even though Moltres hates Knock Off), or Scizor clicking, well, anything. Overall, Agility Moltres is a solid pokemon in general, and pulls its weight indefinitely on this team.

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 96 Atk | 160 SpA | 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Clanging Scales
Close Combat
Poison Jab
Stealth Rock

Like mentioned in the teambuilding process section, Kommo-o's main roles on this team are to set rocks, break Moltres' answers, and come in on Knock Off. Set is the standard smogon spread, and this one in particular utilizes Overcoat for Spore and other powder based moves, although with Chandelure becoming a more common ladder presence apparenly, Bulletproof definitely has its merits. Sylveon is also becoming popular, so Soundproof could also probably be used as well. Honestly, this pokemon is so hard to come in on. Life Orb helps Kommo-o's damage output a bunch, allowing to do serious damage to pokemon like Moltres or Buzzwole with Clanging Scales. Dragon/Fighting is also very beneficial to Moltres, as it resists everything Moltres is weak to, being rock, electric, and water. In return, Moltres can check fairy types. Scizor is also particuarly good with Kommo-o, being able to check fairies and psychics, while being able to bait in Steel and Fire types for Kommo-o to abuse.

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP | 192 Def | 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Stomping Tantrum
Foul Play

I think i'm the first person to use this set, so please direct all insults to my dms either on here or discord. Assault Vest Amoonguss rounds off the team by providing an answer to scary things like Keldeo and Primarina, as well as more backbone to the rest of the team. Spore is essentially useless now with everything spamming goggles, so I figured why not help Amoonguss be a little bit more specially bulky, while abusing some of the cooler movepool options it gets. The EV spread is enough SpDef to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Keldeo's Air Slash, with max HP and the rest of the EVs being poured into defense. STABs are normal as usual, while Foul Play is to discourage the likes of Scizor or Aegislash from coming in for free. Stomping Tantrum is for Raikou mainly, but it also notably hits Cobalion, Aegislash (again), Chandelure, and so on. Overall, it's a pretty fun set that really rounds off the rest of the team.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Threatlist-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Honestly, I will tout a little bit. There's really not too many mainstream things at the moment aside from the ones listed below that legitimately threaten this team. However, there are a couple that are very scary to fight from preview.

Clangorous Soul Kommo-o is by far my least favorite thing to see at preview or to fight. It's just so dumb and honestly I think it could potentially become problematic later down the road. For this team in particular, you can probably play around preventing it from setting up. Another alternative is allowing it to chip itself down into range of Scizor's Bullet Punch or Krookodile's Earthquake. However, if you find yourself being very weak to it, you can probably replace Foul Play on Amoonguss for Clear Smog. Overall, this is probably the #2 threat to this team, so be weary.

Hurricane | Base Power: 110 | Special | Accuracy: 0.7%

I questioned Magnum a little bit while writing this and he said that the biggest issue by far for this team is Hurricane. No matter how well the team is built, or how good you play, it seems like Hurricane always bites you in the butt. Hurricane is insanely powerful, but unfortunately, it's not powerful if you never hit it. So, not an issue that can really be remedied, but something to keep note of when making plays. Do you wanna risk the loss to Hurrimiss or is there a better way? Only you can tell.

SubCM Primarina is a BITCH. Like, even with Amoonguss, Kommo-o with Poison Jab, Rotom-Wash, and other things such as Scizor or Krookodile's Earthquake, this thing takes the inch of one free switch and turns it into a mile of pain and suffering trying to prevent it setting up behind a sub. Like, I genuinely understand Adaam's pain of constantly being 6-0d by Primawina. It's just dumb how good this pokemon is, even in a tier that should be preparing for Keldeo. Just know you're probably close to or just fucked if this thing gets a Substitute up. 100% the #1 threat, this 'mon is just STUPID.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Replays-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A very big shoutout to Codename Magnum for gathering all these replays. He went 19-6 as of writing this, and only lost a few due to Hurricane. There's only 10 or so here though because people keep freakin using /hidereplay, like come on im tryna make an RMT here. Sorry your mono-fire ash ketchup team got clowned on. It's seriously a big help, considering my lack of playing ability. While a lot of these are more inconsistent teams, the goal is to show how the team generally operates in a game, regardless of matchup.

[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]
[vs.
]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Conclusion-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks for making it through this RMT! I appreciate ya'll who took the time to sit through my nonsense. Just wanna give some quick shoutouts below, but other then that, thanks for reading this and I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week!

Luirromen Nalorium LpZ RaJ.Shoot JustFranco luisotte Thiago Nunes Amaranth KJLX Justamente Zephyri Fakee Mr.Bossaru Maple

Vocês são incríveis!

I'm sorry if I butchered your guys language. I tried. Anyways, despite me having no clue what you guys are talking about 60% of the time, hanging out in the Tangela discord is always a blast. Despite us going for lots of losses and ties, it's always fun building, cheering you all on, and even just sitting back and watch the chat explode with Portuguese. I can't wait to see where we go from here, and no matter the results, I look forward to staying to the end with you guys! Go Tangelas!!
Codename Magnum Bandkrook Monky25 Kitten Milk A Cake Wearing A Hat TPP Ophion Donphantastic TSR vivalospride Estarossa Mystras Leoxses

Thank you guys for being so cool! I honestly probably would've quit mons if not for the times I've chatted with you guys. I'm genuinely sorry if I've been a real annoyance, please just tell me cuz I'm never gonna catch a hint. I seriously wish you guys the best in whatever you choose to do, whether it be mons, or whatever else life throws at you.
To everyone else I didn't mention, it's either because I forgot or don't know what to say. Whoever you may be, thank you for all the good times, and here's to many more good times ahead! Thank you all very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)