Dream World CCAT (Signups for laddering!)

Welcome aboard, Double Dance Terrakion! We now have three team members, so I am going to throw out the rest of the nominations considering they are outdated. With that, we have this as our current team:

Meloetta @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice

+

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass
- Perish Song

+

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

What does our team miss? I want to see more nominations and reasoning behind them! I'm sure we can make a successful team with Meloetta, and right now we seem to have sand and sun covered. Also, we have one less threat to deal with considering the banning of Blaziken. However, something we lack is a surefire way of dealing with Choice Scarf Chandelure. While Terrakion should do decently, we may end up losing Politoed in the process. We also lack a surefire counter to Garchomp and other sand sweepers, so I propose the same set as last time:

Bronzong @ Macho Brace / Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD | 0 Spe
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice

People, go wild! I want to see some more discussion!

no. unnerve means tyranitar has shitty sp.defense.

i suggest none other than our sweeper.... keldeo!

keldeo@leftovers
4hp 252Sp.atk 252Spd
nature: timid
-calm mind
-substitute/hp ghost
-hydro pump/surf
-secret sword

or... we can use a manaphy

manaphy@leftovers
4Hp 252Sp.atk 252Spd
nature: timid
-tail glow
-surf
-ice beam
-rest

or waiittt..... sharpedo!

sharpedo@life orb
148atk 252sp.atk 108spd
nature:rash
-protect
-crunch
-ice beam
-hydro pump

Theyre all good.. couldnt pick. they all SHIT on chandelure

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Right now, we're missing hazards, which is pretty crucial for the Dream World environment, in my opinion. Since we're running Rain, why not try Ferrothorn?

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Yep, this is pretty much taken from the onsite analysis (kindly provided to us by NixHex). It's a standard and it works, in my opinion. SR is a fantastic addition to our team and supports the switching games that Meloetta is surely going to be playing. I chose Protect + Leech Seed so we can do something to the likes of Garchomp, as opposed to Thunder Wave + Spikes. With Blaziken now gone, I don't think it's as vital to use Thunder Wave; we still could consider it for Genesect, at least. I chose Gyro Ball because I hate the accuracy of Power Whip, but we could potentially consider the latter to hit up on Manaphy.

This team is lacking a defensive backbone, meaning it can't handle the offensive threats that Dream World has to offer. This is what I propose.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Here we have it, the bread and butter Skarmory set. Skarmory does a very good job at setting up much needed hazards, aswell as walling a large amount of the Dream World tier. Spikes help the other team members snatch the much needed OHKO's from Meloetta and friends. Brave Bird helps to break Balloons and Focus Sashes aswell as acting as a last ditch effort to help other team members KO. Whirlwind removes the annoying Excadrills, Garchomps and Gliscors who like to set up and can sweep teams otherwise. Roost completes the set allowing Skarmory to replenish health effectively, and outstall a lot of physically orientated teams.

Amoonguss (F) @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore / Clear Smog

Amoonguss would also be a fantastic addition to this team, being Rain and all. Amoongus can sponge the hits of Raikou, Thundurus, Keldeo and more. In an invaluable addition when facing opposing Rain teams. With 5th Generation's sleep mechanics changing, Sleep is much more effective. With the only other common user of Spore in Dream World being Breloom, Amoonguss serves a very helpful role in this team. Two or three turns of sleep allow Meloetta and Terrakion free switches whether it be to setup, or tear holes in enemy teams.

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
However, something we lack is a surefire way of dealing with Choice Scarf Chandelure.

Bronzong @ Macho Brace / Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD | 0 Spe
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice
Ran some calcs using this set and it doesn't seem like it actually counters CS Chandy very well? Fire Blast is a 2HKO even under Drizzle conditions (thanks to little SpD investment and Brave > Sassy), while even 252+ Earthquake fails to OHKO Chandelure without Stealth Rock (which we don't currently have anyone to set up at the moment). This Bronzong could get up Trick Room and do some major damage to Chandelure, but would ultimately be defeated by it and only pave the way for another Pokemon to finish it off.

I'm also confused as to why Trick Room would be run when we're using Double Dance Terrakion and Choice Scarf Politoed? This set seems entirely self-serving to me and, given that Earthquake wouldn't KO anyway, you'd be better off just striking with Earthquake on the first turn since it's likely that you wouldn't even want Trick Room up.

It is a pretty reliable Garchomp counter though, but I would postpone adding Bronzong to the team until we've got something that can get hazards up on the field, and I would also still question the use of Trick Room on the set. Supporting the Ferrothorn nom.

EDIT: On second thought, using Ferrothorn practically removes all want for Bronzong and doesn't give us a perfect Garchomp counter even with Leech Seed / Protect. In that vein, I want to nominate Forretress:

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Sp
IVs: 2 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Hidden Power Ice
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball

Just something interesting to consider. Hidden Power Ice lets Forretress actually do something to Garchomp and other assorted Dragons, Gyro Ball deals with some sand sweepers, while the Physically Bulky set was picked because the Specially Bulky set can't deal with Chandelure anyway (not that Ferrothorn can either) hence the use of Shed Shell. This also lets us get up Stealth Rock (which we were doing with Ferro) and gives us Spin support, though that may not be super necessary.

The main advantage of using Forretress over Ferrothorn would be Spin support, however, and Protect+Leech Seed will still deal with Garchomp, so Ferrothorn is still a valid teammate in its own right.

EDIT2: Using Forretress also removes all want for Bronzong. I don't see the merit of using a Trick Room standalone sweeper on a team that seems too impeded (as of what we have now) by Trick Room to be useful, especially when it doesn't beat the one thing you wanted it to beat. :\

Alright! We're now through with nominations, and it's time to vote! We'll be choosing from:

Forretress
Amoonguss
Skarmory
Ferrothorn
Sharpedo
Manaphy
Keldeo
Unnerve Tyranitar
OTR Bronzong

Get your votes (3 Pokemon!) in over the course of the week, people!

Before I put in my votes I would like to say that Bronzong is an incredibly underrated Pokemon in the Dream World environment. It is at once both bulky and fairly powerful, taking out many different Pokemon in two hits with Gyro Ball, especially stuff like Gengar, Landorus, Latios, etc. Earthquake lets you beat Chandelure 1v1 if you have Trick Room, since a) nobody runs Air Balloon in my experience and b) rain lets us absorb a Scarf Overheat. also Cherub Agent, to address your point: It is indeed meant to be a standalone Pokemon, in the same vein as TR Reuniclus in standard play; we may or may not have teammates who appreciate Trick Room along with Bronzong, but it's not that necessary at all.

Anyways,

Bronzong
Amoonguss
Keldeo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)