Monotype Dragon team for fun, any advice welcome!

Looking around the boards, saw two posts by Anchor9 and The Shag Attack making stories for their teams, and not gonna lie, that looked pretty fun. So I thought, why not give it a shot myself?

Long have the dragons of yore been thought to have been vanquished. Civilizations long have forgotten the reign of the beasts of destruction. Tales of destruction brought by them have been denounced to nothing but tall tales, left to be forgotten over time. As time went on, none remained of those who knew the dark truth: that the dragons would once again return. Six tablets worn down by time were unearthed, each depicting a beast and a warning. To whoever finds this message, take heed what could be translated, for some parts had to be assumed.

Rastunaga (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flash Cannon

If sounds of clanging can be heard, hide. The Rastunaga approaches, scales clanging together in search of prey. Make not a sound, lest a beam flash by, seeking a target. Approach not, for it's ferocious fists siphon life from those it touches. Shoot not, as any bullet bounces off it's scales. Should it begin to growl, cover thy ears, for it shall soon let loose a sound from it's soul, a warcry to drive any and all prey running in fear. If life is what thou continues to seek, let not the Rastunaga know of thine presence.
(Kommo-o is a mon I enjoyed using back in gen 8. The onmi buff it gives helps with a potential sweep, combined with Drain Punch it can potentially get multiple buffs. Debating on dropping Life Orb for leftovers, but fighting/dragon/steel coverage hits what it needs to pretty hard.)

Nosfutoren (Dragapult) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Dragon Darts

If a discarded toy is seen amongst busy streets, seek safety immediately. Do not touch the toy, else Nosfutoren has already captured it's next victim. The toy serves nothing but a trick, to lure in the naive in hopes of an easy meal. Touch the toy, and burns shall be felt throughout the fool's body. By then, it is too late. Nosfutoren's powers spreads the burn through the body, using it as a means of offense to incapacitate the unfortunate soul. Should the hexes it casts not be enough, it's two partners lying in wait shall strike at sonic speeds. Those bold enough to touch this beast find themselves unable to move from what is assumed to be a curse. Warn any and all around when the green toy is found, and any who do not heed are lost.
(Originally a Specs set, Dragapult is now set to get up a Substitute and be annoying. Picked Cursed Body over Infiltrator to compliment with Will-O-Wisp, giving it a better chance to live or to force a switch if the enemy can't touch a partner. Debating switching WoW for Thunder Wave for a bit of speed control.)

Gaiaset (Goodra-Hisui) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 104 Def / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

If a hill of steel is discovered, disturb it not, for it is Gaiaset in wait. Those greedy enough to touch the metal shall awaken and anger Gaiaset. Able to shake the earth with it's weight, those nearby shall find themselves crushed under the beast's immense size. Striking or blasting the beast shall yield little to no benefit due to the armor from the shell of steel. If not left alone, the beast shall roar, summoning meteors to strike down any it cannot reach. Left alone, Gaiaset shall not cause harm on it's own accord, but warn any who try to approach.
(Meant to be a small stop in an opponent's offense in case I freeze up. Usually the target of a U-turn from Noivern, its bulk lets me take a second to think about who to pivot to. Also is the main attacker against fairy teams, being able to comfortably take hits from Enamorus and Flutter Manes while OHKOing in return. Probably going to replace Draco Meteor with another physical move, it's mostly there to just act as a one time nuke against a physical wall.)

Crystelfar (Baxcalibur) @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Icicle Spear
- Brick Break

Run from the creeping cold. Crystelfar's fury spares none. A mystic dance strengthens this beast beyond measure. Scales sharp as blades can be shed and shot from it's back, making it faster should it be given the chance. Spears of ice created from the beast's breath are launched at any who move, raining destruction to anything in it's path. Buildings of brick and steel stand no chance of resistance against it, for it's strength lets it break apart any obstructions. Fire holds no fear in it's heart, bringing more power to Crystelfar. The cold takes time to approach, do not let thineself get swept up in surprise, else it shall serve is a tomb.
(Baxcalibur is another setup sweeper. It's a typical Loaded Dice set, with Swords Dance over Dragon Dance for more instant power. Brick Break is chosen over Earthquake specifically for all the screens running around with Ice, since all but Goodra fear ice types. Goodra scares out Ninetails, then Bax comes in to break the veil.)

Panzenfol (Salamence) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Dual Wingbeat

Should the skies go quiet, go inside. Should a sight of green be spotted in the sky, thine fate is sealed. Panzenfol spares none, the ruler of the sky. The rage of Panzenfol fells all. A fallen foe only goes to make Panzenfol stronger, the bloodlust coursing through its veins. It's landing from high velocity shakes the very earth near, toppling buildings and causing those who can to take flight in futile attempt to flee. A head harder than iron smashes through walls should any try to hide after being in sight. Wings of mighty size and length slice through the very air itself, letting nothing obstruct it from the path it has chosen. Let not Panzenfol sense you, else it is too late to escape.
(What I consider to be the main wincon, Salamence is the snowball of the team. It's meant to come in on something weakened and pick it off or scare in something else to take damage. One kill sets off Moxie, and it snowballs from there. Typical Moxie stuff, I don't know what else to say about it.)

Echtaso (Noivern) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Travel not alone at night. Echtaso hears all, senses all. Never to engage for long, Echtaso's wings summon forth hurricanes to wipe all in front. The winds of this beast blow away all obstacles, so that none shall impede it's assault. Should winds prove inefficient to fell its target, a cry to the heavens will be answered by a meteor's descent, annihilating any who find themselves unlucky to be caught within. After deciding it is done, it is quick to make a final strike before disappearing into the blanket of the night, waiting silently for another to come.
(Noivern's main goal is to get rid of hazards. Experimenting with switching U-turn for Flamethrower to snipe Gholdengos switching in on a Defog. U-turn is meant to keep up momentum against something that can absorb flying/dragon moves, thus going back to the Flamethrower point. Wish Hurricane was a little more accurate. Other than that, easy to swap in and clean my side up.)

From what has been able to be gathered from the few tablets found, there has been mention of a way to slow down these beasts, if only slightly. The primal blood that runs inside their veins has them go into a fury if sensed nearby, so mayhaps another of draconic blood can finally free all of their fury. For most of them, they will never be seen nor heard when winter's chill comes through. Rumors of fairytale-like creatures being able to handle them on their own is to be investigated. There are more tablets to be found, and these six are partially worn, so to call these descriptions definite would be false. Take what is said here as a warning, and prepare. The roars of times past will sound once again.

(Sorry if it's a little silly, I just wanted to have a little fun. Thanks for skimming/reading and hope to see some spins on it!)

Last edited:

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
oh my god Anchor9 you started monotype trend: stories for every rmt!!!!!!!!
also where are the actual descrptions for the movesets and stuff that help people rate... i know their partially there but you know...

on first glance EQ seems better on Baxcalibur than brick break, as it covers "Buildings of brick and steel" better than break, but if it's for screens and stuff, yeah do that, no description so yeah.........

Last edited:
oh my god Anchor9 you started monotype trend: stories for every rmt!!!!!!!!
also where are the actual descrptions for the movesets and stuff that help people rate... i know their partially there but you know...

on first glance EQ seems better on Baxcalibur than brick break, as it covers "Buildings of brick and steel" better than break, but if it's for screens and stuff, yeah do that, no description so yeah.........
Sorry, got a little caught up with the fun little storywriting part I forgot the board I'm in lol lemme fix that real quick

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Looking around the boards, saw two posts by Anchor9 and The Shag Attack making stories for their teams, and not gonna lie, that looked pretty fun. So I thought, why not give it a shot myself?

Long have the dragons of yore been thought to have been vanquished. Civilizations long have forgotten the reign of the beasts of destruction. Tales of destruction brought by them have been denounced to nothing but tall tales, left to be forgotten over time. As time went on, none remained of those who knew the dark truth: that the dragons would once again return. Six tablets worn down by time were unearthed, each depicting a beast and a warning. To whoever finds this message, take heed what could be translated, for some parts had to be assumed.

Rastunaga (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flash Cannon

If sounds of clanging can be heard, hide. The Rastunaga approaches, scales clanging together in search of prey. Make not a sound, lest a beam flash by, seeking a target. Approach not, for it's ferocious fists siphon life from those it touches. Shoot not, as any bullet bounces off it's scales. Should it begin to growl, cover thy ears, for it shall soon let loose a sound from it's soul, a warcry to drive any and all prey running in fear. If life is what thou continues to seek, let not the Rastunaga know of thine presence.
(Kommo-o is a mon I enjoyed using back in gen 8. The onmi buff it gives helps with a potential sweep, combined with Drain Punch it can potentially get multiple buffs. Debating on dropping Life Orb for leftovers, but fighting/dragon/steel coverage hits what it needs to pretty hard.)

Ability: Cursed Body
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Dragon Darts

If a discarded toy is seen amongst busy streets, seek safety immediately. Do not touch the toy, else Nosfutoren has already captured it's next victim. The toy serves nothing but a trick, to lure in the naive in hopes of an easy meal. Touch the toy, and burns shall be felt throughout the fool's body. By then, it is too late. Nosfutoren's powers spreads the burn through the body, using it as a means of offense to incapacitate the unfortunate soul. Should the hexes it casts not be enough, it's two partners lying in wait shall strike at sonic speeds. Those bold enough to touch this beast find themselves unable to move from what is assumed to be a curse. Warn any and all around when the green toy is found, and any who do not heed are lost.
(Originally a Specs set, Dragapult is now set to get up a Substitute and be annoying. Picked Cursed Body over Infiltrator to compliment with Will-O-Wisp, giving it a better chance to live or to force a switch if the enemy can't touch a partner. Debating switching WoW for Thunder Wave for a bit of speed control.)

EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 104 Def / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

If a hill of steel is discovered, disturb it not, for it is Gaiaset in wait. Those greedy enough to touch the metal shall awaken and anger Gaiaset. Able to shake the earth with it's weight, those nearby shall find themselves crushed under the beast's immense size. Striking or blasting the beast shall yield little to no benefit due to the armor from the shell of steel. If not left alone, the beast shall roar, summoning meteors to strike down any it cannot reach. Left alone, Gaiaset shall not cause harm on it's own accord, but warn any who try to approach.
(Meant to be a small stop in an opponent's offense in case I freeze up. Usually the target of a U-turn from Noivern, its bulk lets me take a second to think about who to pivot to. Also is the main attacker against fairy teams, being able to comfortably take hits from Enamorus and Flutter Manes while OHKOing in return. Probably going to replace Draco Meteor with another physical move, it's mostly there to just act as a one time nuke against a physical wall.)

Crystelfar (Baxcalibur) @ Loaded Dice
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Icicle Spear
- Brick Break

Run from the creeping cold. Crystelfar's fury spares none. A mystic dance strengthens this beast beyond measure. Scales sharp as blades can be shed and shot from it's back, making it faster should it be given the chance. Spears of ice created from the beast's breath are launched at any who move, raining destruction to anything in it's path. Buildings of brick and steel stand no chance of resistance against it, for it's strength lets it break apart any obstructions. Fire holds no fear in it's heart, bringing more power to Crystelfar. The cold takes time to approach, do not let thineself get swept up in surprise, else it shall serve is a tomb.
(Baxcalibur is another setup sweeper. It's a typical Loaded Dice set, with Swords Dance over Dragon Dance for more instant power. Brick Break is chosen over Earthquake specifically for all the screens running around with Ice, since all but Goodra fear ice types. Goodra scares out Ninetails, then Bax comes in to break the veil.)

Panzenfol (Salamence) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Dual Wingbeat

Should the skies go quiet, go inside. Should a sight of green be spotted in the sky, thine fate is sealed. Panzenfol spares none, the ruler of the sky. The rage of Panzenfol fells all. A fallen foe only goes to make Panzenfol stronger, the bloodlust coursing through its veins. It's landing from high velocity shakes the very earth near, toppling buildings and causing those who can to take flight in futile attempt to flee. A head harder than iron smashes through walls should any try to hide after being in sight. Wings of mighty size and length slice through the very air itself, letting nothing obstruct it from the path it has chosen. Let not Panzenfol sense you, else it is too late to escape.
(What I consider to be the main wincon, Salamence is the snowball of the team. It's meant to come in on something weakened and pick it off or scare in something else to take damage. One kill sets off Moxie, and it snowballs from there. Typical Moxie stuff, I don't know what else to say about it.)

Echtaso (Noivern) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Travel not alone at night. Echtaso hears all, senses all. Never to engage for long, Echtaso's wings summon forth hurricanes to wipe all in front. The winds of this beast blow away all obstacles, so that none shall impede it's assault. Should winds prove inefficient to fell its target, a cry to the heavens will be answered by a meteor's descent, annihilating any who find themselves unlucky to be caught within. After deciding it is done, it is quick to make a final strike before disappearing into the blanket of the night, waiting silently for another to come.
(Noivern's main goal is to get rid of hazards. Experimenting with switching U-turn for Flamethrower to snipe Gholdengos switching in on a Defog. U-turn is meant to keep up momentum against something that can absorb flying/dragon moves, thus going back to the Flamethrower point. Wish Hurricane was a little more accurate. Other than that, easy to swap in and clean my side up.)

From what has been able to be gathered from the few tablets found, there has been mention of a way to slow down these beasts, if only slightly. The primal blood that runs inside their veins has them go into a fury if sensed nearby, so mayhaps another of draconic blood can finally free all of their fury. For most of them, they will never be seen nor heard when winter's chill comes through. Rumors of fairytale-like creatures being able to handle them on their own is to be investigated. There are more tablets to be found, and these six are partially worn, so to call these descriptions definite would be false. Take what is said here as a warning, and prepare. The roars of times past will sound once again.

(Sorry if it's a little silly, I just wanted to have a little fun. Thanks for skimming/reading and hope to see some spins on it!)
The tablets' translation were quite flawed, as missing blanks had been filled in by a wanderer—a guardian of old who had borne witness to the destruction these creatures had wrought. "You have been mistaken with these depictions," the guardian said with a sly smile. "The inky darkness of the night has veiled the true form of these creatures; their ear-piercing cries have driven these scribes to madness instead of discerning their true actions" . The guardian began to sing a ballad of the times long gone:

:kommo-o:
Ratsunaga (Kommo-o) @ Leftovers / Throat Spray
EVs: 24 HP / 68 Def / 212 SpA / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock / Flash Cannon
- Clangorous Soul / Flamethrower
- Vacuum Wave
- Clanging Scales
When Ratsunaga's fists seem to punch, they do not directly hit their target. Instead, they unleash a vacuum of energy capable of knocking out even the dreaded Sword of Ruin (:chien-pao:), forged by humans to bring their race to extinction, before it gets to strike. Its hide is also slightly thickened, capable of withstanding darts made from the scales of young Wyverns (:dragapult:) used to end their kind. Ratsunaga can also shed its scales to damage anything threatening its kind, though a ball of flashing light can still be effective, especially if it lets out a soul-rending clang.

(The given EV spread lets you outspeed Dragapult at +1, not dying to Scarf Dragapult's Dragon Darts, and having a very good chance of not dying against +2 Ice Shard from Chien-Pao (+2 252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Ice Shard vs. 24 HP / 68 Def Kommo-o: 258-306 (86.8 - 103%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO). Entry Hazards are always great, especially since Dragons rely on late-game sweeps where everything is battered up)

:dragapult:
Naive Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Dragon Darts
Some have attempted to use a substitute—an offering—to obtain the prized object of a Nosfutoren. They have failed, consumed by the wicked purple flames that cackle in delight at having such an easy prey. Even the legendary shield of Galar (:zamazenta:), and the Sidhe of the past (:flutter-mane:) behind its magical veil, falter and waste away. Beware. Beware.

(Infiltrator is generally better, as it allows you to bypass Dual Screens and Substitutes. Iron Defense Zamazenta, in particular, is a huge pain for Dragon teams, so anything to ease it is good.)

:goodra-hisui:
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 88 Def / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
Gaiaset's roar doesn't summon meteors; instead, it forcefully removes intruders from sight. If the intruder persists, they stand to lose much, as Gaiaset knocks off their items, rendering them unusable. Contrary to popular belief, Gaiaset's offensive capabilities are not as deadly as one might think; it is only strong enough to crush the Iron Valiant, a creation of humanity intended to conquer Gaiaset, under its massive weight.

(32 Attack lets you always OHKO Iron Valiant, the Defense lets you OHKO Chien-Pao with Body Press. If using Assault Vest, Dragon Tail and Knock Off are generally better, making better use of Ratsunaga's entry hazards/removing Leftovers from Corvknight is pretty impactful)

:goodra-hisui:
Gaiaset (Goodra-Hisui) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Body Press
- Acid Armor
- Rest
"A divergence?" you ask in disbelief. "Do you really know what transpired in the great wyvern war, dear Wanderer?" The Wanderer, immersed in their ballad, paid no mind to your incredulity and continued. The Wanderer spoke of the time where Gaiaset reformed its hide to be thicker and stronger, creating a barrier against the cold, the fey, and even other dragons. It enclosed itself, challenging those seeking a duel to break through with magic rather than brute force.

(Acid Armor Goodra would be your best bet against Ice defensively (Clang/Flash Kommo-o offensively). As though Bax does break screens it doesnt really threaten anyone in Ice so there's no reason for Alolan Ninetales to just come in and deal with it)

:baxcalibur:
Crystelfar (Baxcalibur) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Loaded Dice
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
The creeping cold not only launches spears of ice but is also capable of creating shards that strike first, eliminating the emanator of love (:enamorus:) before it can cast its icy spell. Additionally, it wears protective coverings on its talons, as clearing away dangerous rocks set by adversaries is quite challenging. To further enhance its speed, it performs a frenetic dance, as the fey discern its intent, rendering its scales harmless through their mystical power.

(HDB >> Loaded due to the impracticality of using a bad mon to defog. Dragon Dance is better to have a guaranteed way shore up Dragon's poor speed. Icicle Spear can still be used if you're adamant enough, it lets you have an easier time vs Corviknight)

:salamence: -> :roaring-moon:
Fáfnir (Roaring Moon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Outrage
The inky darkness shrouds its form. You have witnessed its blood-colored wings, heard its blood-curdling roar - one of the oldest Wyverns of ancient times. Its true name? Fáfnir. With a heavy paw, it strikes down apparitions, sending the ancient fey (:flutter-mane:) back to its realm. The iron head of its contemporary form originates here. And when faced with an adversary it can't handle, it slinks back into the night with an insect-like maneuver. Fáfnir's increased speed is notably impressive, perhaps even more critical than Panzenfol's bloodlust in this draconic war.

"Adamant it was Panzelfol?", the wanderer chuckled, "Fine, I'll catalogue it, but be aware that it really was its ancestor"

:noivern: -> :garchomp: / :cyclizar:
Azhdaha (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
Ouroboros (Cyclizar) @ Choice Scarf / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Overheat / Rapid Spin
- Shed Tail
- U-turn
You heaved a sigh. Is this wanderer really reliable? "Fret not, dear audience, for the war was not waged against six dragons alone, as every sovereign dragon tried to crush the age of man".

Azhdaha came to the aid of Gaiaset, offering up his scales to further damage the traitors that have worked with humans for their own gain. With a deafening roar, it shakes the ground as it deals with the spectral puppets (:mimikyu:), the wishmaker of the people (:jirachi:), and the culmination of human's greed (:gholdengo:) which bring trouble to dragons. This also let the Ratsunaga go all out, bringing down its foes after a thunderous clang.

Alternatively, in another tale, the Ouroboros came. In an act of self sacrifice, it gave up its tail to its comrades, letting Ratsunaga, Nosfutoren, and Crystelfar go through the motions before the exterminators can bring them down. It also spins around, securing the Dragon's footing before they came in. It was also able to smelt the Sword of Ruin, surprising it as it melts like the first winter's snow.

The wanderer then finished their tale and sat down. They took a parchment, and wrote down a synopsis of what has just been said.
:kommo-o: :dragapult: :goodra-hisui: :baxcalibur: :roaring-moon: :garchomp:
:kommo-o: :dragapult: :goodra-hisui: :baxcalibur: :roaring-moon: :cyclizar:
:kommo-o: :dragapult: :goodra-hisui: :baxcalibur: :salamence: :cyclizar:

(I hope this helped and have fun)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)