Resource Draft League Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Rissoux

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributor
Draft Leader
This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized. Questions pertaining to what draft leagues are, how they operate, as well about meta specific questions are all fair game. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here.

Reminders:
  • This thread is intended to share information for individuals who may not be as experienced with the format and its many complexities. Please always remain helpful even if you think the answer to the question is obvious. Always be respectful.
  • There are all kinds of Draft Leagues out there, specific answers you find here may not be useful to every situation identically. When in doubt, ask for confirmation or for further dicsussion!

Last edited:
Any chance we could get a draft format for gen 8 of Nat Dex without Legacy moves? Unless the lift is too large of course. It's a pretty common draft format in my experiences and although it's possible to self-regulate, a lot of people don't know which moves were removed and mistakes happen.

Nyx

Anyways - so then I cursed her.
is a Site Content Manageris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Any chance we could get a draft format for gen 8 of Nat Dex without Legacy moves? Unless the lift is too large of course. It's a pretty common draft format in my experiences and although it's possible to self-regulate, a lot of people don't know which moves were removed and mistakes happen.
Cut moves are legal in the NatDex formats to be in line with Showdown's NatDex tier, which allows them.

Cut moves are legal in the NatDex formats to be in line with Showdown's NatDex tier, which allows them.
Right...but this is draft. I thought maybe we could look to support the most common draft formats.

There is a not insignificant portion of the draft community that likes to run nat dex because they want to use Megas but also like having things like pursuit and hidden power removed. Sports used to split it into "Nat Dex" and "Nat Dex Legacy" for example, where Legacy had all moves.

Ultimately it may be moot since we're moving to gen 9 anyway but you may have the same thing where some people would want to use all mons but with the updated gen 9 movesets vs. all movesets from past games, ignoring the transfer restrictions. It's probably a good thing to be thinking about as a community.

This is not sports. This meant to bridge the gap between smogon and draft. Effectively Nat dex is the equivalent of Legacy on regular showdown which would mean they allow cut moves on the nat dex tier. It just doesnt make sense to add a custom tier on main showdown for the time being.
This sounds weirdly territorial.

So the smogon draft community is not interested in how the wider draft community operates?

Rissoux

Draft Leader
This sounds weirdly territorial.

So the smogon draft community is not interested in how the wider draft community operates?
There's nothing territorial about it unfortunately. Sports was able to be much more flexible with the time and individualization they offered in regards to their tiers than the main server is. While i'm sure your initial claim about the nat dex vs nat dex legacy is accurate, it just isn't something we can request of the PS devs because of their stance that they keep their formats as accurate to in game content as possible. (Cut moves are legal in natdex formats as Autumn already said)
There's ways to get around it from a league standpoint; just ban the moves. But in regards to having a tier for laddering or other validation purposes, it just isn't currently in the cards as something we can reasonably request.

Hey guys, I'm returning to mons after a long while and this draft thing is new to me. Does anyone have a guide/ tips on how this works, and how I can get involved?

Lady Writer

on the tv
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey guys, I'm returning to mons after a long while and this draft thing is new to me. Does anyone have a guide/ tips on how this works, and how I can get involved?
Yes, the best place to start is probably the draft chatroom on showdown, they have a guide to the draft league format there and you can also join the discord linked there to get more involved

So I have a question regarding the stance of WiFi Draft Leagues, are they off-limits here since they do not operate on the site (showdown) or will they be allowed to advertise and post here as well?

Spoken from an inveterate WiFi enthusiast.

Cheers,
Sven

Nyx

Anyways - so then I cursed her.
is a Site Content Manageris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
So I have a question regarding the stance of WiFi Draft Leagues, are they off-limits here since they do not operate on the site (showdown) or will they be allowed to advertise and post here as well?

Spoken from an inveterate WiFi enthusiast.

Cheers,
Sven
They'll be allowed to advertise, just like people using the Radical Red (or any other) Showdown! server, so long as they meet the requirements

template for what, sorry? a server or?
Oh, right, I should have clarified. I mean a league document. I've seen a few templates out there but none of them are up to date for SV, and the automated ones REALLY DO NOT like you just filling in your own data in my experience. Hence, was wondering if anyone just had a blank google sheets template that would be easy to modify for any given metagame.

Will there be a thread containing important/helpful though non essential resources? For example prep docs and player stat docs

Rissoux

Draft Leader
Oh, right, I should have clarified. I mean a league document. I've seen a few templates out there but none of them are up to date for SV, and the automated ones REALLY DO NOT like you just filling in your own data in my experience. Hence, was wondering if anyone just had a blank google sheets template that would be easy to modify for any given metagame.
Not really, not at this time. A lot of the documents I’ve ran across are very user friendly in regards to being automated and easy to fill out though. This is definitely something I’d like to put together in the future though.

What would you want from this hypothetical template?
I just got into doc creation and I am itching for a new project hehe

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi, my friends and I ran a draft league last year where we drafted off of bins of 6 pokemon randomly generated using pokeaims random team generator. Is there anything like this for gen 9? A list of viable or at least fringe viable pokemon that can generate a random batch for drafting?

Initially posted this in the Showdown Suggestions forum but was told it should go here:
Some drafts may choose to allow players to draft Pokémon that are in the data of Scarlet/Violet but not yet available (like Cinderace). The draft formats should allow this. The NatDex formats aren't correct here, since they also include things like moves. NatDex formats also have Hisuian Pokémon listed as illegal, though they do pass validation.
NatDex without move changes was already brought up in this thread, but this situation seems different since these Pokémon are on the cartridge.

Bella

not a furry
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi, my friends and I ran a draft league last year where we drafted off of bins of 6 pokemon randomly generated using pokeaims random team generator. Is there anything like this for gen 9? A list of viable or at least fringe viable pokemon that can generate a random batch for drafting?
I’m actually a staff member of a league kinda like what your saying called RDL. We used this site to make a list of around 150~ Pokémon and then made an 8 mon draft out of it. As far as I’m aware this is the closest thing to something like what your saying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)