Lower Tiers DPP UU Discussion Hub

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
dpp_uu_discussion.png

thank you Seo. for the amazing art! much love

By popular demand and with Donphantastic's blessing I have taken it into my hands to open up one of these for one of the most beloved and critically acclaimed metagames of all time. Just the other day we had people ranking their favourite metagames in the UU Discord and there wasn't a single soul that dared to rank DPP UU on the lower end. Despite its inception over a decade ago, the tier is still very much alive and kicking. However, the game has taken on a new light in recent generations characterized by the introduction of team-preview. Thus, it comes to no surprise that no team-preview is often a hurdle for newer players that aren't familiar with it. In DPP dynamics tend to change a lot unexpectedly troughout the course of the battle which will come to bite you if you don't stay on your toes but at the same time keeps the match exciting. There's also a slew of mechanics that you might be unaware of. Explosion halves the targets defense, effectively doubling its power, you don't take Life Orb recoil when attacking a Substitute, and Fake Out only has priority level 1 - just to mention a few. It's because of this unfamiliarity and the fact that discussions on old gen lower tiers aren't always the most active (especially outside of tour seasons) that when starting out in DPP UU you may feel a bit lost in the beginning and would like some guidance on what you could be improving on. Fret not though, while DPP UU does arguably have a bit of a steep learning curve, it makes the reward all the more satisfying for when you pull off the prediction game correctly or manage to convincingly ride your carefully orchestrated inital progress to victory. This applies to building too, it takes some trial and error to get the hang of it but once you do you will realise that you can make almost any strategy work. The way people perceive and approach this tier tends to vary quite a bit from my experience which is a tribute to its versatility.

This thread is supposed to serve as a hub for all types of discussion around DPP UU, veterans and newcomers alike. Let us know how deep your love for Altaria truly goes, make a case for a Damp Rock suspect, join the Uxie fanclub, or really drive home that hate for Dugtrio you're harbouring. Share your favourite replay, showcase that peculiar set you think may have potential and get feedback from players that love and strive to keep the tier alive. If you need team advise because you're stuck on your build or if you're having success with a particular build: share it in RMT and link it here for more exposure and extended discussion! Don't hesitate and post away, I and others will sure as hell be delighted to swoop in and lend a helping hand and/or offer our thoughts. Depending on how this thread is received, I intend to maybe incorporate different types of workshops into this thread to spark the discussion and tingle our senses. Joint teambuilding sessions and focused discussion on particular archetypes/strategies are but a first thought. I think a "What's Their Last" type of project could be a lot of fun too. We'll see though.

Below I listed the available resources that I could find, though some of these could certainly use an overhaul. That too may be a possible project that could be coordinated through this thread. Also I think it's worth mentioning there's semi-frequent DPP UU tours in the UU room (if you see Estarossa online just ask for one and he'll probably cave) and every other Thursday and Sunday in the RoA room.

:venusaur:Available DPP UU Resources:registeel:

I'm looking forward to all of your replies. Happy posting! :psyglad:

Last edited:
Guess I’ll start this off by sharing a goated team

Clamperl Trick Room
CDD67961-2E68-447F-B94D-48244B2D4D18.png
17F50EBF-2686-46A0-A49C-E3E90AB01F71.png
927017F9-43A5-4CBD-BDD7-708DFE537E74.png
2D554FA0-539D-4928-9DF2-FF2DD74D6401.png
DA0B0E60-52B9-487F-A8C8-97A46BD2E050.png
F2A863D6-30C9-4FF2-B3D7-1718CC74A89E.png

This is a team I made quite a while ago, and it has been like the only team I have ever used in DPP UU lol. Mespirit carries Kasib Berry for Mismagius and is preferred over Uxie largely due to its better offenses. Clamperl is an incredibly powerful wall breaker, the only mons that can stop it are like Milotic, Chansey and Water Absorb stuff, and Slowking can deal well with most of these making it a generally good core to have. Rhyperior is chosen over Rampardos due to its teams relative fragility, and also Rhyperior has Swords Dance and STAB Earthquake. Porygon2 is tough to stop if it manages to obtain a Special Attack boost from Download, which can be picked up against mons like Rhyperior or Donphan. Finally, Exeggutor threatens to break a hole open in teams, can setup Trick Room with its good bulk, and has Sleep Powder to put a foe out of commission temporarily.

yep, i was informed hence why i deleted but apparently not fast enough
i dont use these strats/items lol

edit: to make this at least worth your while, i would at the very least change it to lum with enough bulk for lead spex moltres, or change it to uxie with the same stuff, that way you dont get ohkod t1 or slept

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Thank you Fusion Flare for the amazing banner!

This post serves as a way to help new players (like me lol) and more experienced ones to find the Pokémon that best suits the role your team needs. Please help me with your suggestions, as I'm pretty new to this tier and don't have much understanding of the metagame, but wanted to contribute anyways. I'll be listing the mons I deem as usable for their specific role, and if I'm mistaken, please correct me. Pokémon are listed in alphabetical order and not by viability. I will be updating this post as you guys give your suggestions.
  • Added :clefable: :torterra: :nidoking: :nidoqueen: and :dugtrio: to Stealth Rock.
  • Added :Nidoqueen: to Toxic Spikes.​
  • Added :Cacturne: to Spikes.​
  • Added :Haunter: to Spinblocker.​
  • Added :Clefable: and :Exeggutor: to Mixed Wallbreakers.
  • Added :Absol: and :Blaziken: to Band Wallbreakers.​
  • Added :Moltres:, :Venusaur: and :Altaria: to Specs Wallbreakers.​
  • Added :Moltres: and :Primeape: to Scarf Wallbreakers.​
  • Added :Tangrowth: as Swords Dance sweeper.​
  • Added :entei: as Calm Mind sweeper.​
  • Added Agility as a setup move and added :blaziken: :lanturn: and :feraligatr:

• Added Category 6: Sand Teams
    • Added :hippopotas: as a Sandstorm Setter
    • Added :cacturne: :gabite: :gligar: and :sandslash: as Sand Veil Users
  • Added Category 7: Hail Teams
    • Added :snover: as a Hail Setter
    • Added :glalie: and :walrein: as Ice Body Users
  • Added Category 8: Trick Room Teams
    • Added :claydol: :mesprit: :slowbro: :uxie: :porygon2: :slowking: :lunatone: :solrock: and :dusclops: as Trick Room Setters
    • Added :aggron: :azumarill: :clamperl: :exeggutor: :hariyama: :rhyperior::mesprit: :slowbro: :lunatone: :solrock::spiritomb: :tangrowth: :torterra: :ursaring: :cacturne: :camerupt: :kingler: :porygon2: :rampardos: :regirock: and :regice: as Trick Room Attackers
  • Added :drifblim: as a Spinblocker
  • Added Curse as a setup move and added :registeel: :rhyperior: :slowbro: :steelix: :Cradily: and :regirock:
  • Added Pursuit Users and added :absol: :ambipom: :drapion: :dugtrio: :hitmontop: :houndoom: :sceptile: :scyther: :spiritomb: :swellow: and :toxicroak:

• Added :gligar: as a Swords Dance sweeper
  • Added :lanturn: as a Specs Wallbreaker
  • Added the Other Options section on Rain Teams
    • Added :dugtrio:
  • Added the Other Options section on Sand Teams
    • Added :clefable: :rhyperior: :steelix: :registeel: :regirock: :claydol: and :dugtrio:
  • Removed :moltres: from Sunny Day Setters

• Added :arcanine: and :slowking: to Specially Defensive and Mixed Walls
  • Added :regirock: to Sunny Day Setters
  • Added the subsection Snow Cloak Users
    • Added :glaceon:
  • Added the subsection Baton Pass Users and Receivers
    • Added :ambipom: and :scyther: to Agility Passers and :aggron: :feraligatr: :leafeon: :mismagius: :rhyperior: and :torterra: to Agility Receivers
    • Added :drifblim: :espeon: and :hypno: to Calm Mind Passers and :alakazam: :blaziken: :exeggutor: :houndoom: :moltres: and :venusaur: to Calm Mind Receivers
    • Added :hypno: and :mr. mime: to Nasty Plot Passers and added the same receivers as Calm Mind
    • Added :absol: :leafeon: :mawile: and :scyther: to Swords Dance Passers and :aggron: :feraligatr: :hitmonlee: :primeape: :rhyperior: and :torterra: to Swords Dance Receivers

1. Utility and Support Roles

Entry Hazards and Hazard Control

Stealth Rock
:aggron::chansey::claydol::clefable::donphan::dugtrio::mesprit::miltank::nidoking::nidoqueen::omastar::registeel::rhyperior::steelix: :torterra::uxie:

Spikes
:cacturne::cloyster::omastar::qwilfish:

Toxic Spikes
:cloyster::drapion::nidoking: :nidoqueen::omastar::qwilfish:

Rapid Spin
:blastoise::claydol::cloyster::donphan::hitmonlee::hitmontop::kabutops:

Spinblocker
:drifblim::haunter::mismagius::rotom::spiritomb:

Clerics, Wish support and Dual Screens Setters

Wish

:chansey::clefable::kangaskhan:

Healing Wish
:chansey::clefable::mesprit:

Aromatherapy / Heal Bell
:chansey::clefable: / :altaria::chansey::clefable::lanturn::miltank::uxie:

Light Screen and Reflect
:claydol::clefable::mesprit::rotom::uxie:

2. Offensive Roles

Wallbreakers

Physical
:absol::aggron::altaria::ambipom::arcanine::azumarill::blaziken::cacturne::cloyster::drapion::dugtrio::entei::feraligatr::hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::kabutops::kangaskhan::leafeon::nidoking::primeape::qwilfish::rhyperior::scyther::spiritomb::swellow::torterra::toxicroak::ursaring:

Special
:alakazam::blastoise::blaziken::espeon::exeggutor::houndoom::ludicolo::mesprit::milotic::mismagius::moltres::nidoking::omastar::rotom::sceptile::spiritomb::slowbro::toxicroak::venusaur:

Mixed
:arcanine::blaziken::clefable::cloyster::exeggutor::houndoom::ludicolo::nidoking::sceptile::spiritomb::toxicroak::venusaur:

Choice Item Users

Choice Band

:absol::aggron::altaria::azumarill::blaziken::dugtrio::hitmonlee::kangaskhan::primeape::rhyperior::scyther::spiritomb::ursaring:

Choice Specs
:alakazam::altaria::blastoise::blaziken::exeggutor::houndoom::ludicolo::mismagius::moltres::omastar::rotom::sceptile::slowbro::venusaur::lanturn:

Choice Scarf
:absol::blastoise::blaziken::drapion::houndoom::kangaskhan::mesprit::mismagius::moltres::rotom::toxicroak::venusaur::primeape:

Setup Sweepers

Swords Dance

:absol::blaziken::drapion::feraligatr::kabutops::leafeon::qwilfish::rhyperior::sceptile::scyther::torterra::toxicroak::ursaring::venusaur::tangrowth::gligar:

Nasty Plot
:houndoom::mismagius::spiritomb::toxicroak:

Bulk Up
:blaziken::hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::primeape::toxicroak:

Calm Mind
:alakazam::clefable::entei::mesprit::mismagius::slowbro::spiritomb::uxie:

Dragon Dance
:altaria::feraligatr:

Growth
:tangrowth::venusaur:

Curse
:registeel: :rhyperior: :slowbro: :steelix: :cradily::regirock:

Belly Drum
:azumarill::clefable::hariyama::ursaring:

Rock Polish
:aggron::donphan::rhyperior::torterra:

Agility
:lanturn::feraligatr::blaziken:

Priority/Pursuit Users

Aqua Jet

:azumarill::feraligatr::kabutops::qwilfish:

Bullet Punch
:hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::toxicroak:

Extreme Speed
:arcanine::entei:

Fake Out
:ambipom::blastoise::hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::kangaskhan::ludicolo::toxicroak:

Ice Shard
:cloyster::donphan::snover:

Mach Punch
:hitmonlee::hitmontop:

Quick Attack
:leafeon::scyther::swellow:

Shadow Sneak
:spiritomb:

Sucker Punch
:absol::dugtrio::hitmonlee::hitmontop::houndoom::kangaskhan::nidoking::spiritomb::toxicroak:

Vacuum Wave
:blaziken::toxicroak:

Pursuit
:absol: :ambipom: :drapion: :dugtrio: :hitmontop: :houndoom: :sceptile: :scyther: :spiritomb: :swellow: :toxicroak:

Baton Pass users and receivers
Move​
Passers​
Receivers​
Agility​
:ambipom: :scyther:
:aggron: :feraligatr: :leafeon: :mismagius: :rhyperior: :torterra:
Calm Mind​
:drifblim: :espeon: :hypno:
:alakazam: :blaziken: :exeggutor: :houndoom: :moltres: :venusaur:
Nasty Plot​
:hypno: :mr. mime:
Same as Calm Mind​
Swords Dance​
:absol: :leafeon: :mawile: :scyther:
:aggron: :feraligatr: :hitmonlee: :primeape: :rhyperior: :torterra:

3. Defensive Roles

Walls

Physically Defensive

:altaria::arcanine::blastoise::claydol::clefable::donphan::mesprit::milotic::miltank::moltres::registeel::rhyperior::slowbro::spiritomb::steelix::tangrowth::uxie::weezing:

Specially Defensive
:altaria::arcanine::blastoise::chansey::claydol::clefable::lanturn::mesprit::milotic::mismagius::registeel::slowking::spiritomb::uxie:

Mixed
:altaria::arcanine::chansey::claydol::clefable::mesprit::milotic::registeel::slowking::spiritomb::uxie:

Pivots

Offensive

:ambipom::blastoise::donphan::drapion::leafeon::mesprit::milotic::mismagius::moltres::primeape::scyther::slowbro::swellow::tangrowth::venusaur:

Defensive
:altaria::arcanine::chansey::clefable::hitmontop::mesprit::moltres::uxie:

4. Rain Teams

Rain Dance Setters

:kabutops::ludicolo::mesprit::omastar::qwilfish::uxie:

Swift Swim Sweepers / Rain Abusers
:floatzel::gorebyss::huntail::kabutops::ludicolo::omastar::qwilfish::Blastoise:

Rain Dish / Dry Skin Users
:ludicolo:/:toxicroak:

Other Options
:dugtrio:

5. Sun Teams

Sunny Day Setters
:arcanine::exeggutor::mesprit::shiftry::tangrowth::victreebel::uxie::regirock:

Chlorophyll Sweepers
:tangrowth::exeggutor::shiftry::victreebel:

Sun Abusers
:blaziken::houndoom::moltres::entei::charizard::rapidash::typhlosion:

6. Sand Teams

Sandstorm Setter

:hippopotas:

Sand Veil Users
:cacturne: :gabite: :gligar: :sandslash:

Other Options
:clefable: :rhyperior: :steelix: :registeel: :regirock: :claydol: :dugtrio:

7. Hail Teams

Hail Setter

:snover:

Ice Body/Snow Cloak Users
:glalie: :walrein:/ :glaceon:

8. Trick Room Teams

Trick Room Setters
:claydol: :mesprit: :slowbro: :uxie: :porygon2: :slowking: :lunatone: :solrock: :dusclops:

Trick Room Attackers
:aggron: :azumarill: :clamperl: :exeggutor: :hariyama: :rhyperior: :mesprit: :lunatone: :solrock::slowbro: :spiritomb: :tangrowth: :torterra: :ursaring: :cacturne: :camerupt: :kingler: :porygon2: :rampardos: :regirock: :regice:

Last edited:

esche

:dp/drapion:

:dugtrio: The Dugtrio Dilemma Chronicles #1: Drapion :dugtrio:

obligatory Killintime tag x)

Dugtrio's signature ability Arena Trap has earned it an infamous reputation on the Smogon competitive scene. In the the three latest generations, Arena Trap has consistently received the boot and more recently the DPP OU and BW OU communities decided on retroactive bans on it. It appears that the majority of players deem trapping abilities uncompetitive by today's standards. ADV OU aside, DPP UU is the the only tier in which Arena Trap remains legal (excuse my blatant ignorance of LC and OMs). While there is something to be said about the unhealthiness of Arena Trap in DPP UU, in this series, I want to take a closer look at all the unfortunate victims of Dugtrio and explore what countermeasures they can resort to combat it.

A Tale Of What Could Be?

Drapion is possibly the single most held-back victim of Dugtrio in DPP UU. Its unique typing - only shared by the Skunky line - leaves Drapion with a deadly weakness to Ground and while it sports a solid defense stat of 110, it isn't quite bulky enough to shrugg off Dugtrio's Earthquake. What's more, with an underwhelming attack stat of 90, even maximally invested Drapion fails to OHKO Dugtrio, meaning Dugtrio can switch in if it needs to. Hardly a play that will come up often when the Drapion set isn't revealed, but it is relevant when contemplating situations involving lead and Choice Scarf sets. Couple this with the fact that, unlike other potential victims of Dugtrio such as Houndoom and Toxicroak, it can't rely on priority to pick Dugtrio off, and the dilemma at hand becomes apparent. However, I'm not pretending all would be well for Drapion without Dugtrio. Toxic Spikes lead variants are still easily disposed off, yielding frustrating results whenever you run into a grounded Poison type. The power output of Choice Band and Swords Dance sets is not to be overrestimated either, and while bulkier sets could certainly make better use of Drapion's unique typing - safely checking special Venusaur, for example - without the looming threat of Dugtrio, they would still struggle to manifest a significant niche in a metagame filled with wallbreaking powerhouses. Perhaps stallbreaker sets could thrive more without the risk of simply being removed in match-ups other than versus stall.

The Current State Of Affairs

In the following, I'll have a look at what Drapion sets there are, how they match up versus Dugtrio, and showcase some replays featuring Drapion.

I'll start off by briefly mentioning Choice Scarf, which sees occassional play as a Ghost/Psychic check, but frankly, the disappointing sight of its damage output in every scenario not involving types weak to Dark rivals that of a 1% Blastoise Water Spout, so I'm not going to waste more time than necessary on it. A Venusaur switch-in that doesn't threaten Venusaur - amazing, moving on. Choice Band variants will always be removed safely by Dugtrio after it has killed/trapped something but at that point one might consider its job done. At least Dugtrio can't switch in on it.
___The same can't really be said for lead sets running Lum Berry, however. Even in a seemingly favourable lead situation versus say Uxie, the best the Drapion player can hope for is to set Toxic Spikes before Uxie slow U-turns out into Dugtrio. This puts a timer on Dugtrio but that's hardly a deterrent from nabbing a safe kill turn 2 into the game. Apart from that, I consider Toxic Spikes super match-up fishy in a no-preview tier ruled by Venusaur but that's a topic for another post. Lum Berry is arguably indispensable on the lead set to avoid Sleep Powder from Choice Scarf Venusaur and Will-O-Wisp from lead Mismagius sets. However, experienced players likely won't waste time trying to status a lead Drapion given that it's known to run Lum Berry. Therefore, one might consider a Shuca Berry so that Drapion may turn the tables on Dugtrio. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that Drapion's mediocre attack stat leaves it unable to OHKO Dugtrio with STAB Crunch despite its paper-thin defense. While, Adamant has a chance to do so, Jolly is absolutely necessary in my estimation to tie with other base 95s and to get the jump on Rotom, Moltres, and Toxicroak. Therefore, Shuca Berry won't do the lead set much good other than potentially taking Life Orb variants down with them, which still comes down to a roll. Assuming the Drapion player doesn't Taunt turn 1 and lays up Toxic Spikes instead, Shuca Berry will allow Drapion to at least trade with Dugtrio thanks to poison damage. This, however, only works versus leads such as Uxie that choose to slow U-turn out, and doesn't take into account the possibility of Dugtrio hard-switching in before Toxic Spikes go up. Still, limiting Dugtrio's usefulness for the remainder of the game can potentially enable Drapion's team members to thrive later.
___Offensive Swords Dance
is the other set that - though it will miss the power from Life Orb and the safety from status provided by Lum Berry - can semi-convicingly pull of a Shuca Berry lure. After a Swords Dance boost, Drapion will have no trouble eliminating Dugtrio. Variants opting for Aqua Tail in the last slot can even do so without a boost. However, while Water coverage is neat for sniping Rhyperior and other Ground types, it competes for a slot with Taunt and Pursuit - two immensely useful moves that have many applications. Shuca Berry has applications outside of avoiding the trap from Dugtrio due to the omni-presence of Earthquake but, overall, I still deem Lum Berry superior because the Poison, Ghost, and Psychic types Drapion preys upon often carry status moves. Estarossa has recently made me aware of a Substitute + Swords Dance set which I ended up using in my week 2 UU Snake game. With two turns of set-up, it will avoid the trap from Dugtrio - still not optimal, because you can't always expect to get both a Substitute up and a Swords Dance boost under your belt, but it's a step in the right direction. Let's run through the lead scenario versus Uxie again: Turn 1, Drapion uses Substitute as Uxie U-turns out into Dugtrio expecting Taunt. Turn 2, Dugtrio uses Earthquake and breaks the Subsitute as Drapion uses Crunch but fails to OHKO. Because Life Orb doesn't trigger recoil versus Subsitute in DPP, any Dugtrio variant will survive Crunch - barring a critical hit of course. Turn 3, Dugtrio OHKOs Drapion, this time possibly fainting from Life Orb recoil. In hindsight, I would likely put Black Glasses/Life Orb over Black Sludge to ensure the OHKO on Dugtrio with Crunch, effetively reducing the requirement for beating Dugtrio to setting up a Substitute. Losing Black Sludge is a bit of a bummer but since this set is supposed to put on some pressure early game, the added power is actually appreciated.
___Bulky Swords Dance builds and Specially Defensive sets would certainly benefit the most would Dugtrio leave the tier. A reliable Ghost resist that also checks Venusaur while being able to pressure fatter builds with SD/Taunt/Toxic Spikes doesn't sound too shabby in my book. As it stands now, however, bulky variants too live in fear of the neighbour mole family of three posing as a single Pokémon. This might come as a surprise at first because Drapion actually possesses respectable phyiscal defense, so with HP investment it should survive an attack coming off Dugtrio's mediocre attack stat, right? Well, sort of, but also, no. While Life Orb variants require some prior damage on Drapion to pick up the KO - which is not unlikely given that bulky sets are supposed to stomach hits - Choice Band doesn't seem to care much about investment in bulk. I won't explore physically defensive sets because I don't see them filling any significant niche in the metagame. Anyhow, without attack investment, Drapion doesn't even get a chance to trade with Life Orb Dugtrio, with Crunch capping at 76% damage. Specially defensive sets can avoid the trap once, and hope to drag out something weak to Toxic Spikes with Whirlwind, but I don't think I need to stress how suboptimal of a counterplay that is.
___And that's sort of where the whole problem with Dugtrio lies. Counterplay - or more like counter-prep - against Dugtrio is extremely limited for Drapion. This is partly due to the inherent nature of Dugtrio's ability negating the most basic form of counterplay - switching out - but there are few other cases in DPP UU as blatantly helpless against the mole as Drapion is. If you're desperate for some kind of retaliation, you may be able to catch a few Dugtrio off guard with Shuca Berry + Aqua Tail but since that is pretty much only an option on Swords Dance variants, you will be limited in your choice of set. The Substitute + Black Glasses option is intriguing because it appears to me to sacrifice the least when it comes to utility, retaining the ability to dodge status and putting on some pressure early game, while also dissuading Dugtrio from switching in on a Drapion with a Substitute up and surprising those who do with an OHKO. The set is probably still best utilized as a lead because I can't imagine too many other scenarios where you might get to set up both Substitute and Swords Dance, while capitalizing on one of the few qualities Drapion possesses: it actually has good matchup versus many leads, including Uxie, Mesprit, Alakazam, Mismagius (nobody in their right mind clicks Will-O-Wisp), Venusaur, Omastar and Qwilfish. It's definitely not a 100% moleproof solution, but I like to think it has some potential.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. What are your experiences with Drapion? Did I miss anything significant?

Below you can find relevant calcs and some replays showcasing the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of various Drapion sets.

252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Drapion: 282-332 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Drapion: 326-386 (94.7 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Drapion Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 136-162 (64.1 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Drapion Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 177-208 (83.4 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Black Glasses Drapion Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 211-249 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

tldr; dont use tspikes

Last edited:
DPP UU Role Compendium
would be pretty cool to have a banner....

This post serves as a way to help new players (like me lol) and more experienced ones to find the Pokémon that best suits the role your team needs. Please help me with your suggestions, as I'm pretty new to this tier and don't have much understanding of the metagame, but wanted to contribute anyways. I'll be listing the mons I deem as usable for their specific role, and if I'm mistaken, please correct me. Pokémon are listed in alphabetical order and not by viability. I will be updating this post as you guys give your suggestions.
  • Added :clefable: :torterra: :nidoking: :nidoqueen: and :dugtrio: to Stealth Rock.
  • Added :Nidoqueen: to Toxic Spikes.​
  • Added :Cacturne: to Spikes.​
  • Added :Haunter: to Spinblocker.​
  • Added :Clefable: and :Exeggutor: to Mixed Wallbreakers.
  • Added :Absol: and :Blaziken: to Band Wallbreakers.​
  • Added :Moltres:, :Venusaur: and :Altaria: to Specs Wallbreakers.​
  • Added :Moltres: and :Primeape: to Scarf Wallbreakers.​
  • Added :Tangrowth: as Swords Dance sweeper.​
  • Added :entei: as Calm Mind sweeper.​
  • Added Agility as a setup move and added :blaziken: :lanturn: and :feraligatr:

• Added Category 6: Sand Teams
    • Added :hippopotas: as a Sandstorm Setter
    • Added :cacturne: :gabite: :gligar: and :sandslash: as Sand Veil Users
  • Added Category 7: Hail Teams
    • Added :snover: as a Hail Setter
    • Added :glalie: and :walrein: as Ice Body Users
  • Added Category 8: Trick Room Teams
    • Added :claydol: :mesprit: :slowbro: :uxie: :porygon2: :slowking: :lunatone: :solrock: and :dusclops: as Trick Room Setters
    • Added :aggron: :azumarill: :clamperl: :exeggutor: :hariyama: :rhyperior::mesprit: :slowbro: :lunatone: :solrock::spiritomb: :tangrowth: :torterra: :ursaring: :cacturne: :camerupt: :kingler: :porygon2: :rampardos: :regirock: and :regice: as Trick Room Attackers
  • Added :drifblim: as a Spinblocker
  • Added Curse as a setup move and added :registeel: :rhyperior: :slowbro: :steelix: :Cradily: and :regirock:
  • Added Pursuit Users and added :absol: :ambipom: :drapion: :dugtrio: :hitmontop: :houndoom: :sceptile: :scyther: :spiritomb: :swellow: and :toxicroak:

• Added :gligar: as a Swords Dance sweeper
  • Added :lanturn: as a Specs Wallbreaker
  • Added the Other Options section on Rain Teams
    • Added :dugtrio:
  • Added the Other Options section on Sand Teams
    • Added :clefable: :rhyperior: :steelix: :registeel: :regirock: :claydol: and :dugtrio:
  • Removed :moltres: from Sunny Day Setters

1. Utility and Support Roles

Entry Hazards and Hazard Control

Stealth Rock
:aggron::chansey::claydol::clefable::donphan::dugtrio::mesprit::miltank::nidoking::nidoqueen::omastar::registeel::rhyperior::steelix: :torterra::uxie:

Spikes
:cacturne::cloyster::omastar::qwilfish:

Toxic Spikes
:cloyster::drapion::nidoking: :nidoqueen::omastar::qwilfish:

Rapid Spin
:blastoise::claydol::cloyster::donphan::hitmonlee::hitmontop::kabutops:

Spinblocker
:drifblim::haunter::mismagius::rotom::spiritomb:

Clerics, Wish support and Dual Screens Setters

Wish

:chansey::clefable::kangaskhan:

Healing Wish
:chansey::clefable::mesprit:

Aromatherapy / Heal Bell
:chansey::clefable: / :altaria::chansey::clefable::lanturn::miltank::uxie:

Light Screen and Reflect
:claydol::clefable::mesprit::rotom::uxie:

2. Offensive Roles

Wallbreakers

Physical
:absol::aggron::altaria::ambipom::arcanine::azumarill::blaziken::cacturne::cloyster::drapion::dugtrio::entei::feraligatr::hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::kabutops::kangaskhan::leafeon::nidoking::primeape::qwilfish::rhyperior::scyther::spiritomb::swellow::torterra::toxicroak::ursaring:

Special
:alakazam::blastoise::blaziken::espeon::exeggutor::houndoom::ludicolo::mesprit::milotic::mismagius::moltres::nidoking::omastar::rotom::sceptile::spiritomb::slowbro::toxicroak::venusaur:

Mixed
:arcanine::blaziken::clefable::cloyster::exeggutor::houndoom::ludicolo::nidoking::sceptile::spiritomb::toxicroak::venusaur:

Choice Item Users

Choice Band

:absol::aggron::altaria::azumarill::blaziken::dugtrio::hitmonlee::kangaskhan::primeape::rhyperior::scyther::spiritomb::ursaring:

Choice Specs
:alakazam::altaria::blastoise::blaziken::exeggutor::houndoom::ludicolo::mismagius::moltres::omastar::rotom::sceptile::slowbro::venusaur::lanturn:

Choice Scarf
:absol::blastoise::blaziken::drapion::houndoom::kangaskhan::mesprit::mismagius::moltres::rotom::toxicroak::venusaur::primeape:

Setup Sweepers

Swords Dance

:absol::blaziken::drapion::feraligatr::kabutops::leafeon::qwilfish::rhyperior::sceptile::scyther::torterra::toxicroak::ursaring::venusaur::tangrowth::gligar:

Nasty Plot
:houndoom::mismagius::spiritomb::toxicroak:

Bulk Up
:blaziken::hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::primeape::toxicroak:

Calm Mind
:alakazam::clefable::entei::mesprit::mismagius::slowbro::spiritomb::uxie:

Dragon Dance
:altaria::feraligatr:

Growth
:tangrowth::venusaur:

Curse
:registeel: :rhyperior: :slowbro: :steelix: :cradily::regirock:

Belly Drum
:azumarill::clefable::hariyama::ursaring:

Rock Polish
:aggron::donphan::rhyperior::torterra:

Agility
:lanturn::feraligatr::blaziken:

Priority/Pursuit Users

Aqua Jet

:azumarill::feraligatr::kabutops::qwilfish:

Bullet Punch
:hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::toxicroak:

Extreme Speed
:arcanine::entei:

Fake Out
:ambipom::blastoise::hariyama::hitmonlee::hitmontop::kangaskhan::ludicolo::toxicroak:

Ice Shard
:cloyster::donphan::snover:

Mach Punch
:hitmonlee::hitmontop:

Quick Attack
:leafeon::scyther::swellow:

Shadow Sneak
:spiritomb:

Sucker Punch
:absol::dugtrio::hitmonlee::hitmontop::houndoom::kangaskhan::nidoking::spiritomb::toxicroak:

Vacuum Wave
:blaziken::toxicroak:

Pursuit
:absol: :ambipom: :drapion: :dugtrio: :hitmontop: :houndoom: :sceptile: :scyther: :spiritomb: :swellow: :toxicroak:

3. Defensive Roles

Walls

Physically Defensive

:altaria::arcanine::blastoise::claydol::clefable::donphan::mesprit::milotic::miltank::moltres::registeel::rhyperior::slowbro::spiritomb::steelix::tangrowth::uxie::weezing:

Specially Defensive
:altaria::blastoise::chansey::claydol::clefable::lanturn::mesprit::milotic::mismagius::registeel::spiritomb::uxie:

Mixed
:altaria::chansey::claydol::clefable::mesprit::milotic::registeel::spiritomb::uxie:

Pivots

Offensive

:ambipom::blastoise::donphan::drapion::leafeon::mesprit::milotic::mismagius::moltres::primeape::scyther::slowbro::swellow::tangrowth::venusaur:

Defensive
:altaria::arcanine::chansey::clefable::hitmontop::mesprit::moltres::uxie:

4. Rain Teams

Rain Dance Setters

:kabutops::ludicolo::mesprit::omastar::qwilfish::uxie:

Swift Swim Sweepers / Rain Abusers
:floatzel::gorebyss::huntail::kabutops::ludicolo::omastar::qwilfish::Blastoise:

Rain Dish / Dry Skin Users
:ludicolo:/:toxicroak:

Other Options
:dugtrio:

5. Sun Teams

Sunny Day Setters
:arcanine::exeggutor::mesprit::shiftry::tangrowth::victreebel::uxie:

Chlorophyll Sweepers
:tangrowth::exeggutor::shiftry::victreebel:

Sun Abusers
:blaziken::houndoom::moltres::entei::charizard::rapidash::typhlosion:

6. Sand Teams

Sandstorm Setter

:hippopotas:

Sand Veil Users
:cacturne: :gabite: :gligar: :sandslash:

Other Options
:clefable: :rhyperior: :steelix: :registeel: :regirock: :claydol: :dugtrio:

7. Hail Teams

Hail Setter

:snover:

Ice Body Users
:glalie: :walrein:

8. Trick Room Teams

Trick Room Setters
:claydol: :mesprit: :slowbro: :uxie: :porygon2: :slowking: :lunatone: :solrock: :dusclops:

Trick Room Attackers
:aggron: :azumarill: :clamperl: :exeggutor: :hariyama: :rhyperior: :mesprit: :lunatone: :solrock::slowbro: :spiritomb: :tangrowth: :torterra: :ursaring: :cacturne: :camerupt: :kingler: :porygon2: :rampardos: :regirock: :regice:
I have some suggestions as to what you can add that you seem to have missed.

In the Specially Defensive and Mixed Defensive section, I would probably add Arcanine; it's got the bulk (when invested into) and recovery to switch into and check many special threats, like Venusaur (rest-talk even deals with sleep powder), NP Toxicroak and Moltres (among others), while still having Intimidate to check Physical attackers (though more shakily than if it was Phys.Def). It is probably worth adding.

I would also add Slowking to the aforementioned sections; it's basically just a more Specially inclined Slowbro and is worth using over it in some cases.

I would suggest adding Regirock to the Sun Setters; it is a great lead for those teams, has SR, has explosion to maintain momentum, and provides sun with a much-needed fire resist. It is honestly amazing for sun builds, and I am surprised it's not already there.

I would suggest fitting Glaceon somewhere in the Hail section; it can spam the strongest Blizzards in the tier and has Snow Cloak to potentially dodge some moves. It currently does not fit in any of the sections of hail, so I would suggest adding in an 'Other' section to place it in (unless you want to add a Snow Cloak and a Blizzard Spammer section?)

Finally, I would suggest adding in a Baton Pass section; while not all that common, due to the restrictions put on the move, it still has its uses. I would put in both ‘Passer' and 'Receiver' subsections, and then put in other subsections for what the passers pass, and receivers receive. I have a few suggestions as to both what the passers and receivers can be, and I may have omitted some passers/receivers due to me believing they are unviable in such roles, but this is by no means a comprehensive list:

• Passers:
    • Agility
      • Ambipom
      • Scyther
    • Calm Mind
      • Drifblim
      • Espeon
      • Hypno
    • Nasty Plot
      • Hypno
      • Mr. Mime
    • Swords Dance
      • Absol
      • Leafeon
      • Mawile
      • Scyther
  • Recievers
    • Agility
      • Aggron
      • Feraligatr
      • Leafeon
      • Mismagius
      • Rhyperior
      • Torterra
    • Calm Mind/Nasty Plot
      • Alakazam
      • Blaziken
      • Exeggutor
      • Houndoom
      • Moltres
      • Venusaur
    • Swords Dance
      • Aggron
      • Feraligatr
      • Hitmonlee
      • Primeape
      • Rhyperior
      • Torterra
    • Other
      • Cradily (Suction Cups)
I tried to keep it alphabetical as to keep it in line with how you set out the role compendium. I based the receivers on both how well they synergise with the passers, and how beneficial the received boost is (e.g., Aggron synergises extremely well with Leafeon due to their typing synergy and what pokemon they lure in for each other, and with an SD under its belt Aggron is an absolute powerhouse. Same goes for Rhyperior)

I really hope this helped, I am no master at this tier, but I feel as if my suggestions are valid and should be considered for the compendium.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
long good post
Honestly, while I feel like Dugtrio is a big reason why Drapion has severe issues as a defensive 'mon (e.g., you can't slap it onto a team with a fuckload of SpD investment and claim you're well off vs. Venusaur), it feels to me like it has many other issues that keep it from being a metagame staple, Dugtrio or not. You've expanded upon Toxic Spikes in a very complete way, and while it's true that sometimes you'll meet that one rare squad that gets completely eviscerated by those, building teams that gameplan around Toxic Spikes will never wield consistent results by virtue of the things that are good in the metagame period. Drap' is probably the strongest dedicated user of the move due to the fact that it can discourage opposing Poison-type switch ins with a (bulky) Swords Dance set, but it's just not enough to let it find a place on more teams.

Offensively, Drapion's biggest issue in my opinion is the fact that its STAB moves are just atrocious. Even if its Attack was like 5 or 10 points higher, you'd still not be going to get very far with Crunch and Poison Jab alone. This is where omega buffed Knock Off would come in handy, but alas, we don't do that in here (probably for the best). Most things with decent physical bulk will be able to shrug off hits and trade HP even against Choice Band and Swords Dance variants, which makes Drapion a sad boy. Maybe Shuca Berry + Aqua Tail has potential as a Rhyperior/Donphan lure? You also cover Dugtrio on the side, but that's not really the main appeal of it in my opinion. And this also ignores the fact that you're exposing yourself to status moves vs. the type of 'mons Drapion tends to generate the most turns against by not using Lum Berry. Honestly, it's just super awkward that this thing wants so many moves and even so many items at the same time, and it's not even one of those cases where you can customize accordingly to what the team needs because even then you'll (probably) still find yourself missing something.

Anyway, there's actually a reason why I'm playing along with the Drapion rambling, and that would be to post about my boy:

I'll preface this by saying that Skuntank is not a spectacular Pokemon by any means. In fact, it suffers from many of the same issues Drap' does offensively, namely the pitiful STAB move options. It's also missing many of its rival's options, such as Swords Dance, Toxic Spikes, Earthquake and probably more that are not crossing my mind right now. It's also nowhere near as jacked up defensively. However, it is packing some tricks up its sleeve that make it a very interesting fit on offensive teams, those being Sucker Punch and broken boomer gen Explosion (pun intended). Even with its largely inferior bulk, it can still be built as a makeshift answer to a group of Pokemon that offense tends to struggle against in late game scenarios, like Alakazam, Sceptile and Mismagius, being able to pressure them with strong STAB priority. This same move also forces Dugtrio to be respectful, even if it's packing Substitute.

Explosion on the other hand allows Skuntank to lure and remove physically defensive Pokemon without any of the need for customization that Drapion requires (with the obvious exceptions of Rhyperior and Registeel. The former is unfortunate, while the latter usually provides free turns to a lot of Pokemon commonly found in the tier). You click a button and things like Donphan and Milotic just disappear from your computer screen, which is pretty neat.

As for teams and replays, unfortunately I'm not able to provide you with much, as the last successful-ish Skuntank team I saw in this tier was that one 5 Explosion + Blaziken meme that Kushalos used to spam back in 2017-2018, which is obviously quite outdated. Regardless of this, I still believe it's a Pocket Monster worth experimenting with, which got me to cook up a post.

Besides that, I'd like to add that I highly respect the effort that was put into making this thread look appealing. DPP UU has always been a favorite of mine throughout my time on Smogon and I'm glad that we still have a sizable group of people that are actively keeping it from dying. Looking forward to more productive discussions in here

Last edited:

esche

:dp/registeel:

:dugtrio: The Dugtrio Dilemma Chronicles #2: Registeel :dugtrio:

how does one do hgss sprites x(

Dugtrio's signature ability Arena Trap has earned it an infamous reputation on the Smogon competitive scene. In the the three latest generations, Arena Trap has consistently received the boot and more recently the DPP OU and BW OU communities decided on retroactive bans on it. It appears that the majority of players deem trapping abilities uncompetitive by today's standards. ADV OU aside, DPP UU is the the only tier in which Arena Trap remains legal (excuse my blatant ignorance of LC and OMs). While there is something to be said about the unhealthiness of Arena Trap in DPP UU, in this series, I want to take a closer look at all the unfortunate victims of Dugtrio and explore what countermeasures they can resort to combat it.

I'm not trapped in here with you...

Unlike Drapion, Registeel is far from a helpless victim of Dugtrio, and this is despite Registeel being its primary target. The reason for wanting Registeel removed isn't hard to decipher: Registeel is the only "real" Steel type available in DPP UU (I'm sorry, Aggron), being a full counter to special Venusaur, and in addition sporting incredible physical and special defense. Moreover, Registeel has a vast movepool including access to Explosion, Thunder Wave, Seismic Toss and the elemental punches. While solid options for Registeel to combat Dugtrio exist, choosing to play with Dugtrio in mind is a conscious decision you have to make that starts in the builder and then carries over to the game. For example, an offensively minded team with Occa Berry Registeel should generally be able to afford trading Stealth Rock for Dugtrio and perhaps take it down with it by the use of Explosion. However, if Registeel is integral to your team's success, being part of the defensive core on a balanced team for example, it is advised to assess what is revealed of the opponent's team and play around the possibility of Dugtrio. Don't get me wrong though, this is no easy task. While offensive variants with Explosion at least threaten to take down Dugtrio with it and Curse variants just have to be careful not to get caught with a U-turn on the switch-in, it's more complicated with the standard Stealth Rock set. On the surface, hard-switches into Dugtrio can easily be punished by Stealth Rock Registeel even, as the most common set, Life Orb, doesn't switch into Seismic Toss or Iron Head well and fears a 2HKO. However, no team preview makes it very unreliable to blind attack into a potential Dugtrio instead of throwing hazards up. After all, you don't want to risk a hard switch into Moltres or Rhyperior without getting any value out of the turn. This dynamic changes somewhat as more and more of the opponent's team is revealed but because Stealth Rock setters tend to hit the field early, it's unlikely that you will get another shot at removing Dugtrio at the cost of half of your Registeel's HP. Still, if you think you recognize a team or know that your opponent has a knack for Dugtrio, delaying getting up Stealth Rock might just be worth if it means that you can catch the Dugtrio on the switch instead of trading your Registeel for Stealth Rock early on in the game. Again, it's a risk but if you do manage to avoid the trap you might've just given yourself a huge edge for the endgame.

:scyther: The infamous U-turn + Dugtrio combination :swellow:

Swellow and Scyther are two perpetrators of which you should always assume that they are paired with Dugtrio. The same goes for Mesprit and Uxie, though to a lesser extent. It goes without saying that access to U-turn eases trapping immensely, nullifying the threat of switching into an unfavourable attack such as Seismic Toss or Toxic - this is assuming U-turn is used on the turn the target switches in of course, but even a U-turn on a stationary target still covers doubles, another reason why this combination is so deadly. I won't sugarcoat it, U-turn on Registeel into Dugtrio is tough to prevent - especially when they come from physically attacking powerhouses such as Swellow and Scyther. U-turn has very few drawbacks, and Flying resists aren't easily stacked on teams, so it makes sense that Registeel as the dedicated check is what you would switch into. However, it's worth noting that Scyther and Swellow are often used as early game breakers that aim to weaken and draw in Rock and Steel types that Dugtrio can remove, so that other team members with more longevity can close out the game more easily. Take a look at these teams for example:

Scyther/Venusaur/Dugtrio/3 fillers:

Screenshot_3.png

Swellow/Leafeon/Dugtrio/3 fillers:

Screenshot_4.png

Both teams follow the simple but effective formula of strong offensive Flying type + Dugtrio coupled with an offensive Grass type in the back to take advantage of Registeel removal. This works particularly well because other pivots into the Flying types that threaten Dugtrio with an OHKO such as Regirock and Rhyperior will always be forced out by the Grass types. This in turn will rack up U-turn + hazard chip chip to the point where they can safely be picked off by Dugtrio. The core is so potent offensively on its own that the rest of the team can focus on patching up the defensive holes and thus has few impossible match-ups. Venusaur deserves another mention here because it makes Dugtrio's job easier by virtue of the move Sleep Powder and thus allows for easy traps after you've put something to bed.

The Main Offenders

I shall here showcase the Registeel sets I find myself using the most and elaborate on their individual details.

:registeel: The Somniloquist :registeel:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse

To absolutely no one's surprise Curse Registeel AKA the saviour of balance in DPP UU is up first. Curse variants generally have little to fear from Dugtrio if they manage to grab a boost before Dugtrio switches in but since Registeel will naturally be tempted to pivot into many attacks due to its great bulk, the threat of it being removed still very much exists. During Snake, TSR used Shed Shell on a Curse variant, which I thought was pretty smart because you retain a pivot for the things that Registeel is supossed to check while also covering the scenarios in which you don't get the opportunity to Curse up before Dugtrio comes out such as a double switch or a U-turn pivot. Teams that are overly reliant on trapping Registeel in order to enable their sweepers will be annoyed greatly by Shed Shell but the loss of passive recovery can hurt an attempt to sweep sometimes. You might notice that I use a shit load of attack investment on the featured spread. My reasoning for that is simply that I really like being able to deal more damage immediately with Registeel. This particular benchmark of 160 attack EVs actually has a ton of applications:

+1 0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 177-208 (82.7 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 214-253 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 81-96 (20 - 23.7%) -- 0% chance to break Substitute
+2 160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 99-117 (24.5 - 28.9%) -- 87.5% chance to break Substitute

+1 0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Primeape: 231-273 (85.2 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Primeape: 280-331 (103.3 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 103-123 (39.3 - 46.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 126-148 (48 - 56.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 63-75 (20.7 - 24.6%) -- 0% chance to break Substitute
+1 160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 76-90 (25 - 29.6%) -- 100% chance to break Substitute

0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sceptile: 97-115 (37.7 - 44.7%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sceptile: 118-139 (45.9 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 190-225 (75.3 - 89.2%) -- 0% chance to OHKO after Life Orb recoil
+1 160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 231-273 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Life Orb recoil

Admittedly, some of these are more relevant than others but denying the opponent to critfish repeatedly is pretty neat. Try it out!

:registeel: The dedicated Fire resist :registeel:

Registeel @ Occa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Claw
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

I use this set a ton on offensive teams that desperately need a one-time Venusaur switch-in and/or Flying-resist but don't want to give up offensive momentum. Occa Berry allows you to trade versus almost any Fire type and is generally the preferred item because sturdy Fire resists are hard to come by on offense. Seismic Toss chips any and all switch-ins except for Ghost types reliably but barely 2HKOs Dugtrio after Stealth Rock - which is why every Dugtrio not carrying Life Orb should invest 12 EVs in HP. Shadow Claw solely covers Ghost types to prevent them from taking advantage of Registeel with Substitute. I like to make sure to retains an attack value around 220 so that you can always break Rotom's Substitute with Shadow Claw even when burned. Explosion is one of Registeel greatest assets and allows it to trade with a multitude of threats, including Dugtrio. Substitute variants will often scout Explosion, however, especially on offensive sets that don't show Leftovers. Given that Life Orb + Substitute is the more prominent set in UU because it is able to dodge Sucker Punch from Toxicroak and others, I don't think it's bad advise to break the Substitute by other means once before you choose to blow up and take Dugtrio down with you. This is risky of course, but the pay off of removing Dugtrio for the remainder of the game to enable one of Registeel's teammates may well be worth it. Choice Band sets are rare because even Adamant Choice Band variants fail to OHKO Registeel from full HP and being locked into EQ can be quite unfavourable. They also face the aforementioned problem of being unable to scout for Explosion with Substitute. Regarding the EV spread on offensive Registeel, I deem speed investment for Clefable as important because Calm Mind sets can get out of hand quickly sometimes and you don't want support sets to Thunder Wave/Knock Off your entire team either. You will also catch most Donphan with this kind of investment, effectively ruining any attempt at spinning if you're willing to trade. You could bump up the speed even more to boom on the likes of Hitmontop and other lesser used spinners (Cloyster, Claydol) but I generally pack at least one Ghost type on offense so it's less of a concern.

:registeel: The Mamoswine Wannabe :registeel:

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

This set is my attempt at creating a somewhat Dugtrio-proof Stealth Rock Registeel that will still be useful after the trap. While Counter is a neat tech that can surprise Dugtrio with an OHKO without outright sacrificing Registeel, it faces the same timing issue as Explosion with regard to Substitute. Personally, I found Counter to be utterly unreliable when I used it so that's where this moveslot idea originates. Ice Punch is the only "conventional" attack Registeel possesses that can put Dugtrio's lights out from full HP without drawback. However, to get reliable value out of Ice Punch, you need a good amount of attack investment. The featured EV spread ensures 90% minimum damage to deny Life Orb Dugtrio a second hit. You need Adamant if you want to cover Choice Band variants. The upside of all this is that you get to set up Stealth Rock without worrying about catching Dugtrio on the switch or about having to play mindgames with Counter. With Ice Punch you will always retain your dedicated special Venusaur answer and Flying resist even as Dugtrio brought in by U-turn. Sure, it will still dent Registeel for over half health, but with Leftovers you heal back and, thanks to the golem's natural bulk and typing, retain a pivot into a multitude of attacks. I'll admit that the set works better in theory than in practice, because you sometimes miss the moveslot in match-ups where you don't face Dugtrio but I like to think this has some potential. Earthquake could easily be substituted to fit your team's needs but it complements Ice coverage pretty nicely and can snipe any unsuspecting Fire type not named Moltres. Thunder Wave catches whatever threat EQ isn't effective against and is underappreciated on Registeel in general. Don't have this Registeel be your only Ghost answer if you end up going with these four moves though.

That's pretty much it from me. I personally cannot fathom a DPP UU without Registeel, it naturally finds its way on so many teams and I wouldn't want to miss it. What do you think about Registeel and its match-up against Dugtrio? Got any cool sets up your sleeve that deserve recognition? Below you can find relevant calcs and a few replays.

Thanks for reading, until next time :psyglad:

Registeel Seismic Toss vs. 4 HP Dugtrio: 100-100 (47.1 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Registeel Seismic Toss vs. 12 HP Dugtrio: 100-100 (46.7 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 0 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 177-208 (83.4 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 56 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 190-225 (89.6 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Life Orb recoil
+1 96 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 199-235 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 160 Atk Registeel Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 213-252 (100.9 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

216 Atk Registeel Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 192-226 (90.5 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Life Orb recoil
252 Atk Registeel Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 198-234 (93.3 - 110.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Registeel Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio: 216-256 (101.8 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 216-254 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 236-278 (64.8 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 158-188 (43.4 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 248-294 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 272-324 (74.7 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dugtrio Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

U-turn into Dugtrio #1
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-534536

U-turn into Dugtrio #2
tbd

Shed Shell Registeel in action
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-531993

Ice Punch Registeel barely missing the KO :(
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4uu-1169268026

How could I not not plug this game here?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-500332

tldr; ün ün ün

Last edited:

esche

:blobthinking: What's Their Last?:blobthinking:
DPP UU Edition
And why is it always SubCM Uxie?
This very question has plagued players for generations until team preview was established. It's especially applicable to DPP because the tier is far less formulaic than say ADV and allows for more freedom building-wise. In this project, each week we will be having a look at a team missing one crucial member. Much like in an actual game, you will be analysing the given five and conclude what you deem the last may likely be. You enter by posting the set and a short description of why you think the particular last you're suggesting fits. Instead of a voting phase, I or the original creator of the team that is featured will be revealing the actual last after a week or so and respond to each entry. So, why should you participate? First of all, it's fun trying to figure out what the opponent's last could be! It's an exercise that sharpens your playing senses and your understanding of the tier, so if you're looking to improve at DPP UU this would be a good opportunity. This project also gives you insight into how other people approach building, which will certainly broaden your horizon in a tier as diverse as DPP UU.

With all that out of the way, lets us delve into it right away with a team provided by yours truly.

:uxie: :registeel: :venusaur: :mismagius: :milotic:
https://pokepast.es/471e9efa8c27982d

SR Uxie lead is almost impossible to punish and allows for a quick momentum grab right at the start of the game. Registeel + Milotic make for a solid defensive duo that takes on many FWG cores by itself. The special ingredient of the team is Choice Specs Mismagius which can easily overwhelm would-be checks such as Spiritomb and Houndoom. The combination of Trick + Nasty Plot further adds to its wallbreaking arsenal and can enable other members of the team to thrive, such as the next one. Choice Scarf Venusaur provides speed control and can clean up late game. What's my last?

I'm looking forward to your entries! :blobwizard:

DL for this round is Friday, the 2nd of April (for now, let's see how many submissions we get until then).

If you have a team that you would like featured, PM me the import and a short description!

Team (by Tomahawk):
:moltres: :uxie: :hitmontop: :registeel: :rotom:
https://pokepast.es/566c32e7e0de7917

Entries:
:venusaur: by Expulso
:qwilfish: by Oglemi
:milotic: by Donphantastic

Actual Last:
:azumarill:

Last edited:

Donphantastic

I'm Donny P. (W)
is a Tiering Contributor
Cool team, specs mismag doesn't really exist right now so I'm happy to see it. As is SD Venu is a massive threat, and considering that your speed as is, is a bit lacking, my vote goes towards an offensive Arcanine to also prevent duggy from shooting you down/general good prio for offense mus.

love the idea!

anyway, i am not 100% sure if this is the choice that you have but i think this team absolutely looks like it is built for dug. you start with uxie, the best uturner in the tier for balance teams, and most importantly look at your wincons: scarf venu and specs missy. both really want regi out of the way to get to cleaning and while both have a way to cripple it (sleep powder / trick) they are both 1-time options so it's not perfect. if you can eliminate regi you can play the game in a precise manner until you see the option to clean with either, depending on the style of team you're facing.

normally i would put cb dugtrio in these kinds of teams but i think it kind of clashes with the the dual existing choice already, so probably i would make it the life orb set, substitute / eq / edge / sucker. an idea you could do is like some subreversal set to kill clef or sr so you can put lefties and heal bell or smth cool on uxie if you want. edit: actually as mentioned on discord, pursuit on dugtrio makes a lot of sense, helps with removing pesky ghosts where possible

i think it should be noted that with this choice, you are admitting a bit of a weakness to some physical threats because uxie has no passive or active recovery and milo is calm.

coincidentally enough, if dug is the last i used a very similar team in uupl week 1. it has the same 6 but with cm clef > missy. now that i think about it it is quite weak to fighters eg hariyama. however it does help with some other random physical threats.

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
i love this idea, makes it a lot easier for noobs [me] to get into oldgens that can often feel really difficult to build in as a result of being so established, so ty for that!

i will go with the doomer
:dp/houndoom:
Houndoom @ Dread Plate
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

idk dpp that well but I think the houndoom set I shamelessly robbed from the smogdex fits quite well. it helps a lot with regi avoiding overload from ghosts and venusaur among the other things it typically takes on (uxie mesprit zam whatever else) and pursuit is obviously always good to have, priority is also rlly nice and is part of why I like both the duggy and arc suggestions above. it doesn't alleviate the general weakness to like, scyther duggy cores but obviously that's quite a tall order regardless and at the very least regi should put duggy in range of doom's sucker punch and make it super threatening later on

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
A couple of people are gravitating towards Fire-types to fill out the classic FWG core, and it makes a lot of sense as a defensive typing in the last slot; however, you don't have a spinner, Curse Regi lets rocks up for free, and you didn't opt for Imprison on Uxie to deny lead rocks. A Rock-weak fire would struggle to deal with hazards, so my vote goes to Blaziken (I prefer SD, but any of the sets work), who would also give you something to do against opposing Curse Regi/CM Clefable besides sit on it with Milotic or try and set up with your own Regi.

esche

I won't have time to do this tomorrow and I think everybody who wanted to has posted anyway so I'm closing this early.

Team:

:uxie: :registeel: :venusaur: :mismagius: :milotic:
https://pokepast.es/471e9efa8c27982d

SR Uxie lead is almost impossible to punish and allows for a quick momentum grab right at the start of the game. Registeel + Milotic make for a solid defensive duo that takes on many FWG cores by itself. The special ingredient of the team is Choice Specs Mismagius which can easily overwhelm would-be checks such as Spiritomb and Houndoom. The combination of Trick + Nasty Plot further adds to its wallbreaking arsenal and can enable other members of the team to thrive, such as the next one. Choice Scarf Venusaur provides speed control and can clean up late game. What's my last?

Submissions:

:arcanine: by Donphantastic

:dugtrio: by Tomahawk

:houndoom: by Lilburr

:blaziken: by Eo Ut Mortus

Thank you all for your submissions, they're great!

As for the actual last...

:dp/dugtrio:

Tomahawk guessed correctly! Though I must say, I like all of your suggestions as a last here. Arcanine and Houndoom both add some nice offensive capabilities and priority, the former being able to keep itself healthy despite the lack of hazard removal while the latter adresses the Ghost type issue. Blaziken deserves a particular mention in my opinion because it preys upon the Dark and Steel types that will try to answer Mismagius and adds some more wallbreaking potential.

As for Dugtrio, I opted for an Adamant Earth Plate set on this team because it can bluff Choice Band damage and possibly surprise dodge a Sucker Punch from Toxicroak which is a massive threat to RegiMiloVenu cores. However, Choice Band is also a fine choice, because it allows you to pick off SD Venusaur from a higher health percantage and trap Ghost types that might annoy Registeel.

I used this team in week 3 of UU Snake Draft. Check out the replay!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4uu-531724

The next round will be posted shortly (hopefully)! :blobwizard:

esche

This week's team was provided by Tomahawk! Thanks bud!

The main focus of the team is the offensive core of SubToxic Moltres and SubCM Uxie. They complement each other very nicely in a lot of matchups: for example, Haze Milo can check Uxie and Refresh Milo isn't crippled by Toxic, but it is never both so Uxie can beat any Milo set. On the flip side, something like a Registeel coming in to check Uxie allows you to double to Moltres and get up a Substitute. Both mons also provide some defensive utility; the team is thus a bit more on the balanced side to take advantage of this. Hitmontop is there because spinning is absolutely mandatory for any Moltres team, Registeel provides a check to half the meta and rocks, while Scarf Rotom provides important speed control as the team is kinda slow without it. All three also provide status which is appreciated by the subbing core. Whats's my last?

Let's hear what you think might be a good fit for the last slot here! :blobwizard:

DL for this round is Saturday, the 10th of April.

If you have a team that you would like featured, PM me the import and a short description!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
my initial thought: probably a water or grass type

:dp/venusaur:
SD + EQ Venusaur seems cool here in order to:
- bait in Steel-types, which allow Hitmontop to get a spin off and/or Moltres to set up a Sub;
- chip Steel-types to help Uxie win more easily (or to benefit from Uxie weakening steels);
- switch into the Water-types that will come in on Moltres

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Sleep Powder (or maybe Synthesis, this is a pretty fat team)

[this does make opposing Moltres and Houndoom a bit of a nightmare, though]

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Running Moltres without Spikes is pretty criminal, so I'm gonna go with Qwilfish, particularly bulky lead fish

:qwilfish:
Qwilfish @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Explosion

Feel like it slides into the team nicely, makes a decent lead, you have regi for the missy lead matchup (although hp ghost?), and max HP qwil is a nice backup for Fires later in the game if you're still alive.

esche

And that's that for this round! Thank you for your submissions!

Team:

The main focus of the team is the offensive core of SubToxic Moltres and SubCM Uxie. They complement each other very nicely in a lot of matchups: for example, Haze Milo can check Uxie and Refresh Milo isn't crippled by Toxic, but it is never both so Uxie can beat any Milo set. On the flip side, something like a Registeel coming in to check Uxie allows you to double to Moltres and get up a Substitute. Both mons also provide some defensive utility; the team is thus a bit more on the balanced side to take advantage of this. Hitmontop is there because spinning is absolutely mandatory for any Moltres team, Registeel provides a check to half the meta and rocks, while Scarf Rotom provides important speed control as the team is kinda slow without it. All three also provide status which is appreciated by the subbing core. Whats's my last?

Submissions:

:venusaur: by Expulso
:qwilfish: by Oglemi
:milotic: by Donphantastic

Thank you all for your stellar submissions!

Now for the actual last...

:dp/azumarill:

Tomahawk's choice for the last member of the team was SubPunch Azumarill! It addresses the weakness to a couple of Fire types in an offensive manner and adds a Water resist that takes advantage of many bulky Waters by virtue of its SubPunch set. You don't see triple Subsitute every day! As Donphantastic aptly pointed out, the team is pretty safe against Venusaur and therefore doesn't mind it coming in on Azumarill. Offensive variants without Synthesis will get chipped down easily by Azumarill's powerful attacks, whereas variants with Synthesis give free turns to the hazard setter or other Substitute abusers on the team.

Now for your submissions!

Swords Dance Venusaur adds some nice immediate breaking power, synergizes well with Uxie and Moltres and is able to stave of repeated Water type attacks with Synthesis. Unfortunately, it doesn't exactly help with the Fire type issue which Toma and I ultimately deemed enough of a reason to decide against Venusaur here. Qwilfish is a nasty addition to this team and I love the idea to fit a Spiker here. Spikes make switching around Moltres and Uxie behind a Substitute that much more difficult while Rotom ensures hazards stay up. However, one problem with Qwilfish last that Toma pointed out is that despite its beneficial typing it doesn't quite have the bulk to effectively address some of the threats that the team has trouble switching into. He suggested to fit Aqua Jet on it to make the likes of Houndoom less problematic while also limiting the mons Dugtrio can trap to one. Lastly, both of us agreed that Refresh + Toxic Milotic would be a great addition to the team since it provides are more sustainable resist to the Fire and Water types that can annoy the team. Milotic doesn't provide as much offense as Azumarill does but due to its bulky nature this team would certainly be able to handle a couple of threats more reliably.

The next round will be posted shortly! :blobwizard:

esche

Hey sorry if this is not the appropriate place to be asking this, but would you say Swords dance sceptile is good outside of just the surprise factor in this gen/tier?
You've come to the right place!

In theory, Sceptile should definitely be able to pull of a SD set because of its superior speed and coverage options in comparison to Leafeon. It has Earthquake to muscle through Registeel and Rock Slide to snipe unsuspecting Flying types. From my experience, however, Sceptile does not excel as a physical sweeper in this tier. It desperately needs Life Orb to do damage which due to lack of Synthesis on this set cuts into its longevity. Sceptile's frailty also doesn't help it in this case because it can't safely setup in a lot of scenarios and dies to pretty much every Scarfer after a bit of self-induced chip damage. Saddest part is that even if you manage to grab a Swords Dance boost many of its checks won't die outright.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sceptile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 298-352 (81.8 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Access to EdgeQuake coverage on a Grass type is great but I think mixed sets that employ the hit and run strategy take much better advantage of this trait of Sceptile. SD sets pretty much ruin their surprise factor as soon as any of Sceptile's moves is revealed anyway whereas mixed sets can really mess with the oppositions expectations. Again though, the lack of Synthesis can hurt its ability to repeatedly pivot into Water and Ground types (unless you drop Hidden Power, which you can). I'll leave you with a sample set that you can try out:

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 172 Atk / 200 SpA / 136 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice / Synthesis

To reiterate, SD is not unworkable but I would ultimately deem it inferior to the special/mixed variants.

esche

For this week's installation of What's Their Last? the team was provided by none other than Donphantastic! Thanks friend!

:scyther: :rhyperior: :uxie: :hitmontop: :venusaur:
https://pokepast.es/c3d1916162340df3

Scyther's strong attacks force switches right from the start of the game that it abuses with U-turn, cycling in powerhouses such as Rhyperior and Venusaur. The former provides Stealth Rock support while the latter features an intriguing moveset combination, Leech Seed + Synthesis, which is designed to chip away at bulky cores and keep itself and the team healthy. Uxie acts a catch-all pivot, provides Thunder Wave support and can lure Rock types with Grass Knot, paving the way for Scyther to clean up. Grass Knot also limits suicide leads such as Omastar to only one layer of hazards. Lastly, we have Hitmontop, the obligatory spinning support for Scyther. It provides the team with strong priority and also takes advantage of the Steel and/or Rock types that will switch into Scyther and/or Venusaur. What's my last?

Have fun! :blobwizard:

DL for this round is Friday, the 23rd of April.

Considering hitmontop has no way to hit ghosts, I'm assuming last is a pursuiter. I'd guess mixed houndoom with flash fire since it gives you an extra switch in to moltres

Houndoom @ Life Orb / Blackglasses
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch/ Thunder Fang
- Overheat

Standard mixed houndoom, Crunch is consistent damage but thunder fang hits moltres slightly harder. Might also consider blackglasses, with spin keeping houndoom at full it can live a +2 mismagius tbolt, ( +2 252 SpA Mismagius Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Houndoom: 215-253 (73.8 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ) which means you don't have to try and go for sucker punch mindgames or scyther speed tie. Worth testing to see if the power drop on overheat is worth.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)