Resource DPP Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

DPP Simples Questions, Simples Answers Thread

(clearly inspired by Finch Post)

Everything is in the title! Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.

Some rules and tips before posting:

• Be as clear as possible in your question. The more information we have, the more able we will be to give you the correct answer.
  • Google is your friend: try searching on Google before posting
  • When you answer, please quote the question you are referring to.
  • Follow the forum rules, keep this thread civil and respectful.
Some ressources you should check before posting

Waiting for your questions, have a nice day!

Yeah I think Sand Veil was banned before Latias was unbanned. Arena Trap was banned? So I see we’re taking the “1 step forward 1 step backwards” approach
Prior to Latias' unban, Sand Veil was only banned on Pokemon that had dual ability - with one of those ability being Sand Veil. For example, Gliscor has Sand Veil and Hyper Cutter as its abilities, so only Sand Veil Gliscor was banned. However, pokemon that had Sand Veil as its only ability weren't banned, like Cacturne.

So after Latias came back to the tier, pokemon that had Sand Veil as its only ability were banned too.

I'm not sure which of those decisions you consider a step backwards - Arena Trap ban or Latias unban, but please post your thoughts here as to why you feel that way.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-ou-metagame-discussion-thread.3685887/

Jeong

Banned deucer.
This is more curious than a doubt, why is Weavile so used in low ladder? Any special reason?

Low Ladder is filled with a bunch of newer, inexperienced players who don't know better. To the newer players, weaviles stab combo and attack and speed are quite appealing, but they don't realize that weavile has so many crippling flaws and weaknesses that make it overall not worth using

MAMP

MAMP!
for players who don't know much about the meta weavile looks really good at first. weavile is listed as ou in the teambuilder and it's very good in later generations which low ladder players may be more experienced with. it's also a very straightforward pokemon with clear strengths: there's a lot of mons in ou where it's not immediately clear to an inexperienced player why they're good, but weavile is fast and strong and has cool stabs.

I feel random ladder teams made by newer players with weavile mess me up when I don't account for it but weavile is in dire need of some innovation

I feel random ladder teams made by newer players with weavile mess me up when I don't account for it but weavile is in dire need of some innovation
It’s actually viable- just hard to build with. Pairing with Zone helps a ton obviously. I think out of all the fringe OU Mons, it has the most potential. Definitely more viable than the other trash used on low ladder. Scizor isn’t as popular as it once was which helps.

for players who don't know much about the meta weavile looks really good at first. weavile is listed as ou in the teambuilder and it's very good in later generations which low ladder players may be more experienced with. it's also a very straightforward pokemon with clear strengths: there's a lot of mons in ou where it's not immediately clear to an inexperienced player why they're good, but weavile is fast and strong and has cool stabs.
The thing about Weavile is that it's not actually THAT strong because its attack stat isn't high enough to make up for the low base power of its moves. 70 bp with night slash and 75 on ice punch is really weak. To put things into perspective night slash coming from Weavile in gen 4 is like if a modern fully powered knock off came from a base 73 attack stat and ice punch as if icicle crash came from a base 100 attack. To experienced players this low damage output is the final nail in the coffin for something frail, weak to every single entry hazard and with a terrible defensive profile but Weavile's speed and undeniably cool design are quite appealing for the low ladder players.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Jirachi and Breloom are just so annoying. How do I make my team as anti-those things as possible?
They both really get annoying and unfortunately they are seen in many teams, especially rachi. Perhaps the only difference is that one is so versatile (rachi) that you don't really know how to fit it while loom the play is Spore although protected with Sub can be a threat.

I guess it depends on the team or style you play, but one way is to carry things with Lum Berry or SleepTalk like nite, Gengar, Yanmega, Latias, Celebi (Natural cure) Zapdos or Gyara + checks for rachi like zong, zone, gross, Skarm, Gyara / Zapdos , pert / Gastro/ Hippo, nape + tran, lax / Bliss. This depends on the rachi set as it is wide.

Last edited:

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Still very new on this tier so i don't have any opinion on it, but was a sleep ban ever discussed in this metagame?

So there is a DPP remake, and I dont know much if anything about it to be honest, but is the metagame going to change on the ladder to reflect the new changes? If so when? And is there a list of moveset changes somewhere?

Reactions: R8

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
So there is a DPP remake, and I dont know much if anything about it to be honest, but is the metagame going to change on the ladder to reflect the new changes? If so when? And is there a list of moveset changes somewhere?
Hi!

New games won't affect the DPP metagames, but gen 8 metagames. About the moveset changes, Teclis made a really cool post about it, so I let you check it out by yourself :)

Why are non-specific HP Grass/Ice IVs not required for Zapdos anymore? Back in DPP it was originally that you couldn't legally obtain a Zapdos with better IVs and I don't think this changed in HG/SS. Was there something discovered in recent years that changed this?

Second, how does Haze Milotic fare vs Clefable?

Last edited:

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Why are non-specific HP Grass/Ice IVs not required for Zapdos anymore? Back in DPP it was originally that you couldn't legally obtain a Zapdos with better IVs and I don't think this changed in HG/SS. Was there something discovered in recent years that changed this?

Second, how does Haze Milotic fare vs Clefable?
I'm not too sure I'll help on the former but I still hope to help. In 8th gen it is supposed to be illegal, but I don't know why, and since BDSP counts as the current generation the ban is maintained. Again, I don't know if I answered this question correctly because I was also a bit confused.

On the other, I think thank god I've never been in a situation like this, but considering that Clefa has to be CM in principle, Milotic works well, Haze has more use and Milo is also faster. I guess luck can also enter this matchup.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on Milotic as a sole Calm Mind Clefable counter, as Kiry4n mentioned luck can enter this matchup: in theory you can Haze Clefable after every Calm Mind and Recover off the damage of its attacks indefinitely, but once it gets a 10% freeze or paralysis, you are in a losing position. You probably will have wasted a lot of PP though, which can help with checking it with something else too.

Any reason Mew is banned from Ubers? The meta changed drastically since it was banned. Baton Pass was banned and so was Arena Trap. Its stats also aren’t as ridiculous as they would’ve been a gen or two ago.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Any reason Mew is banned from Ubers? The meta changed drastically since it was banned. Baton Pass was banned and so was Arena Trap. Its stats also aren’t as ridiculous as they would’ve been a gen or two ago.
I guess it's a similar case to Manaphy, they both have base 100 in common in everything. It may seem like a lot or a little, but they have good bulk and one has access to Tail Glow/CM while Mew has an NP/CM option on the special side. In addition, it becomes dangerous because of how versatile it is, since it has a good variety of responses for any threat. Few things would go well with him.

can someone explain to me why isn't lucario banned from using copycat?
if your opponent does not have a pokemon faster than lucario then lucario can keep spaming copy-cat and use roar to deal cheap damage with entry hazards.
why isn't this anti-competitive strategy banned?

I know that in gen 5 assist was banned for this reason.

Last edited:
can someone explain to me why isn't lucario banned from using copycat?
if your opponent does not have a pokemon faster than lucario then lucario can keep spaming copy-cat and use roar to deal cheap damage with entry hazards.
why isn't this anti-competitive strategy banned?

I know that in gen 5 assist was banned for this reason.
Assist Ban is one that I don't agree with at all, but there are differences here:
1. Lucario requires to use Hazards + a Ghost himself in the team to work. Assist required Ditto and opponent to use Hazards.
2. Most important thing, Lucario requires the opponent to use Roar or WW and Lucario to appear. All teams use Hazards, but not a high percentage ( I would say like 30% at most) use Roar or Whirlwind. Not only they have to have the move, they also have to click it on the specific battle Lucario is in, after Lucario's team has put enough Hazards and Lucario specifically has to be dragged in to work. Very unlikely scenario.
3. Assist was much more difficult to stop once the cycle started. Lucario can be stopped by:
A. Faster scarfer.
B. Priority.
C. Protect/Endure.
D. The rare but viable Cradily. I won't count Soundproof, Magic Coat and Octillery, but they also work.
E. Hail. Lucario is damaged by it, so he will die in 16 turns at most. Probably earlier, since Abomasnow and Walrein run Protect often.

Hopefully this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)