OU DPP OU Teambuilding Competition

Kristyl

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Congratulations to bynum for winning last Weeks vote! See their team here:

1637709953207.png1637710062039.png1637710071043.png1637710081374.png1637710097515.png1637710116063.png - Team 1 by bynum

I was going to do Ice types this Week to keep in theme with December but there isn't many great options for them in DPP, unfortunately (could still be fun though if anyone is interested.) So instead this Week the theme will be fire types!

1638831941167.png
1638831958149.png
1638831972012.png

Feel free to build around any fire type you like! I know I've been doing a lot of type themed ones recently, sorry if that's not your thing. I think they work well so people have the choice between building around something more niche (Camerupt or Moltres, for example) but also having the option of building around an easier more common Pokémon (Heatran.) I'll definitely be doing more Pokemon and set specific themes in the future so don't worry if that's your preference. Anyway, good luck and have fun building everyone! Deadline is next Monday 8pm GMT -5.

Last edited:
:Azelf: :Infernape: :Gyarados: :Latias: :Gengar: :Tyranitar:
So I very much enjoy using infernape but I'm not very experienced in dpp. Anyway I made a team around Ebelt infernape. (I have edited it upon further testing)
Infernape @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Of course one of the switch ins to infernape is usually gyarados, so you will usually double lati if they reveal it. Personally I love lead azelf it just feels so great to use. The teams focus is a bunch of hard hitting mons featuring infernape. The team does have less wincons than you would expect from azelf lead team with the main one being gyara, but it does feel fine to use. Maybe in the future I will replace lati/ttar with something

Last edited:

John Madden

formerly j3b4it33d
Fire Type of choice: Wide Lens Heatran

spr_pt_380_2.png
spr_pt_485_1.png
spr_pt_385_1.png
spr_pt_248_2.png
spr_pt_245_1.png
spr_pt_330_1.png

Heatran is one of my favourite Pokemon to use in DPP OU, due to its admirable versatility that it can now fully take advantage of thanks to Dugtrio's ban. While Life Orb Heatran was something I was considering to build around, as it is my favourite Heatran set, I though I'd diversify a little bit and try out Wide Lens. Yep.

Now why use Wide Lens? The biggest problem, is that Magma Storm is only 70% accurate. This makes trapping and chipping threats like Clefable a bit more tedious, so Wide Lens makes trapping more consistent. Specs Latias lead is made modest to maximize damage output against Tyranitar and opposing steels like Jirachi and Metagross. Not only does the damage help Superrachi sweep in the end game, but it also allows Heatran to finish such threats off as well. Furthermore, HP grass allows me to effectively lure in Swampert to dispose, which in turn would help out my Flygon + Jirachi + Tyranitar. HP ground Superrachi adds extra insurance against opposing Jirachi, alongside Scarf Flygon and Tyranitar, in the event where you need to blow up Heatran to dispose of Clefable. Tyranitar plays a utility role on this team, being the main rocker while also being extra insurance against opposing Latias, which could otherwise be more difficult to switch into, especially if Heatran becomes more weakened. EV's aim to outspeed most Skarmory variants + slow Breloom variants, and having enough Special Attack investment to do decent damage to Skarm + OHKOing non-invested Breloom, while retaining its trademark Special Defence. Custap berry is my preferred item of choice to get rocks up last minute, or have the final blow vs Starmie, Latias, non-Mach Breloom etc. but you could also use Chople to help vs the Gengar matchup. Offensive Suicune adds an additional win condition, but also mitigates the Gyarados matchup, as well as being able to outspeed basically all Brelooms (except scarf of course) and KOing the uninvested with Ice Beam. Choice scarf Flygon adds more insurance vs Gyarados, while giving the team some speed control. Those EVs are something I'm experimenting with. It basically allows you to have a 62.5% chance to live +2 LO Espeed from Lucario after Stealth Rock, from full.

Perhaps the biggest threat to the team that I could think of would be opposing Flygon, as my best redundancies to it are Suicune and winning a speed tie with my own Flygon (if the opponent's is Jolly). Lack of ground immunity does not help either (fair chance that Latias is removed in the early game, depending on how you play it).

With all that being said, I hope that you enjoy a poor man's attempt at making a Wide Lens Heatran team.

:blobthumbsup:

The Squad: https://pokepast.es/407ef9b83016f1b7 (feel free to play around with the EVs too).

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
:jirachi: :camerupt: :heatran: :breloom: :latias: :tyranitar:

One fire mon is fun, two fire mons is a party. There's 2 things I wanted to work with here. First of all scarf Heatran, because it's been steadily on the decline, but it still provides some really good clean up opportunities and ways to put pressure on teams. While it is way worse than it used to be, it still has viability and benefits. Second set I wanted to use again is Passho Camerupt. It's such a good way of removing 1 of Gyara, Starmie, Suicune, Latias all of which provide checks that offense has to deal with Scarfheatran. It is pretty much a suicide bomber and you can get 1-2 kills per game with it and then just be fine with the trades, cause it positions you better long-term. The rest of the team is just supporting cast. Jirachi, Tyranitar and Breloom are there to help with the match-up vs fatter teams, provide counterplay to ground mons (tar and loom mainly lol) and to find way to status mons or potentially remove threats so that Camerupt and Heatran can perform better. Latias is patching up weaknesses, giving another ground immunity and also providing trick, which helps with the stall match up and healing wish, which helps with a million things. EVs on camel are to live Waterfall from Adamant gyara at +-0, hydro from cune at +-0, kill the bulkiest defensive lati you would usually see with boom and then just have as much firepower as possible. The other ev spreads are mostly taken from other teams, nothing specific to this team. Here's a replay vs a really common team:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1469677571-3pao103cqsmybx55bf1mko9u067ebx5pw

https://pokepast.es/7ef842dfaf0a6f32

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

import

Wanted to challenge myself by using 3 Fire-types :P

Moltres has interesting properties as a lead. It kind of blows Metagross and Machamp out the water. That Overheat really just stings in general too if you're able to force a switch, say against a Jirachi lead. U-turn can help against Azelf and the like especially if they decide to get greedy. Don't try and spin for Moltres though, as it is only a modest creature with a short life span and trying to keep it alive is often futile.

Empoleon takes care of a bunch of the dangerous stuff that can shoo Moltres out and sets up Stealth Rock. Knock Off is really nice on it, because it can otherwise feel like a sitting duck once the Rock is up.

Rest of the team is pretty simple. Soften the defenses for Scarf Ape to mop up the mess. Facade Loomer can lay the hurt on a Fighting resist which will make that goal a lot easier. Gotta be aggressive against the late game Scarf Flygon but it's definitely manageable with the faster Scarf mon.

:toast:

:heatran: :metagross: :suicune: :tyranitar: :rotom-heat::FLYGON:

Here is a team I built with nico54800 and the help of Emeral for the FCL.

https://pokepast.es/c3c2fe69b307a095

Heatran : I'm a fan of this set because it has overall good MU against most common leads : metagross, azelf, latias, gyara, jirachi, swampert, roserade, etc.

Azelf won't dare taunt heatran because of it can be specs, and in general against azelf it's HO/offense teams, there's so lots of gyara, so rocks can be effective

- Latias specs would be stuck on surf, so we can put the rocks t1 and pivot on suicune to cm, which is a very good start (same for gyarados).

- 196 in speed allows to outspeed gyara. 32 in att to effectively hit milotic, clef, etc.

Suicune : I find that suicune goes very well with the heatran set in many scenarios (gyara band, latias specs stuck on surf/waterfall, etc,). 196 in speed to overtake lucario ada. The rest in bulk allows more chance to hold outrage dnite +1.

- Metagross, the second steel of the team. It brings a good resistance in spdef, which means that it can resist rotom, gengar, starmie, etc... The trio heatran/suicune/metagross is interesting because it offers many resistances and a lot of pivot. Trick is useful against skarm/rotom and stalls in general. And then once skarm trick, dd ttar can be threatening with earthquake.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-1468497773-wpwo2hgq9gx5obpp5nyip1wav814y99pw

Last edited:

Jeong

Banned deucer.

Heatran boom

Even for me this team can be very offensive and at the same time somewhat fragile but I like the idea of combining the classic core fwg + triple boom (Heatran + Azelf + Gengar) and choice spam. Specs lead Starm can surprise depending on the Match up / opposing team. I really like the Azelf and Gengar combo. With the cover of the former you can do the dirty work so Gengar can sweep up the rest. Heatran which is my chosen fire type is my SR user with Passho Berry + HP Grass as a lure from other Starm and EQ LO nite for example with Explosion thanks to the specific evs. I'm not a big fan of Shaymin but like I said I wanted to complete the core and I like how it covers Heatran. It is also useful vs bulky waters and drops with SFlare can help. I have tried to keep a coverage balance like EP + HP Ground for Heatran or zone. HP Ice + IB.

Seem like jirachee beat me to the punch, wanted to post this fun idea:

:moltres: :jirachi: :tyranitar: :latias: :gyarados: :breloom:

https://pokepast.es/3c77c0def9ba0f51

The idea here is similar to ho-oh in ubers -- you have an extremely powerful fire-flying mon in moltres, but since spinning is quite hard for an offensive moltres, you can keep it alive if you so choose w healing wish or normal ways you open up for sr weak mons early (switching it in on sr, leading w it). Why I like this particular moltres set is that w charcoal boosted fire blast, you have a great shot to 2hko clef, you roast jirachi, and you can force latias into coming in on you early against stall w/o having to worry about lo recoil on an already frail mon. Protect > roost is a nice tech to try an absorb explosions, stall for extra turns -- its a similar idea to offensive zap w tech that we saw tof use in the last spl and moltres struggles to roost anyway due to its frailty. Should moltres get the u-turn on lati you set up tyranitar to cripple it for breloom -- twave > suit is a great way to cripple them, as if you hard tar on a lati, they should expect to reflect on you or at least roar you out. twave also serves as the general purpose of the team -- set up para for gyara subbing and bulky sd loom for offense and of course for jirachi defensively. Lati provides the hwish support that moltres might be able to use against offense, but also can heal up gyara. I stole the gyara set from the froslass team, but sub twave can work, taunt dedge, pretty much any non fully offensive dd gyara set will work here. You cripple lati w tar so that gyara is opened up. Sd three attacks is the star here, as you can support scarf lati's revenge killing (moltres also does a good job weakening ttar so that lati isnt pursuited as easily) and potentially rip through bulky teams. Bulk is to live ddtar's +1 ipunch. Enjoy!

Kristyl

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Congrats to johnnyg2 for winning last Week! See their team here:

:moltres: :jirachi: :tyranitar: :latias: :gyarados: :breloom:

People showed interest in doing one around ice types and I think it'll be nice to see some niche Pokemon, in season too. So that's the theme for this Week: Ice Types!

1640146494214.png
1640146542815.png
1640146547474.png

Apologies for posting late this Week. Good luck everyone and have fun! Deadline is next Monday around 7pm GMT-5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)