Old Gens [DPP OU] Skarmory

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Skarmory takes flight in DPP OU! Skarmory's astounding physical bulk and excellent defensive typing allow it to check offensive behemoths like Gyarados, Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Metagross. Furthermore, Skarmory's Spikes limit wallbreakers like Breloom, Heatran, and Tyranitar. However, the key to this set is the combination of Whirlwind and Counter. Whirlwind encourages setup sweepers like Scizor and Dragonite to attack Skarmory, lest their boosts be wasted, while Counter punishes them for doing so, forcing difficult mindgames. Shed Shell allows Skarmory to escape Magnet Pull, while Leftovers gives Skarmory better longevity to use Whirlwind and Counter more often. The EVs allow Skarmory to OHKO +1 Gyarados using Waterfall with Counter after Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is an excellent partner, as Choice item sets can Pursuit trap Starmie, which spins Skarmory's Spikes, and Dragon Dance sets take great advantage of Spikes wearing down bulky foes like Jirachi and Hippowdon. Ghost-types like Rotom-A and Gengar are similarly helpful to spinblock. Clefable provides excellent utility and takes on special attackers like Starmie and Zapdos. Wallbreakers like mixed Flygon and offensive Jirachi enjoy Skarmory's Spikes wearing down their switch-ins.

Last edited:
I am the one who gave the set and current head of dpp qc, i didnt see this go up on wednesday, mb. I will qc this by hopefully end of day today, but absolutely by end of weekend

I'll make my changes in bold
Please remove whats in strikethrough
I'll make my comments in italics

Skarmory takes flight in DPP OU! Skarmory's astounding physical bulk and excellent defensive typing allow it to wall check (I wouldn't say wall, bc both metagross and gyarados (as well as Dragonite, Breloom, Jirachi, and Tyranitar even special threats like latias can struggle to break through skarmory w investment not sure how many of these you want to mention) can run sets that break through skarmory (meta more often than gyara). I think a better word would be check) offensive behemoths like Gyarados, Dragonite, and Metagross, all while staying healthy with Roost. and providing utility with Spikes (I think this undersells the value of spikes, I'm going to move it to its own sentence). Additionally, Skarmory provides Spikes, which limits grounded wallbreakers such as Breloom, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Whirlwind complements Spikes by spreading entry hazard damage and providing insurance against setup sweepers. However, the key to this set is how Counter synergizes with Whirlwind. Counter provides Skarmory a more offensive option to remove Pokemon who try to break through with physical attacks, while Whirlwind encourages set up sweepers such as Gyarados, Tyranitar, Dragonite, and Scizor to attack into Skarmory lest they lose their boosts. allowing Skarmory to phaze out boosted threats like Scizor (this point kind of eats into the next sentence. Counter isn't just a last ditch option. It's meant to provide Skarm a more offensive option to remove not only set up sweepers, but also pressure mons that want to break skarm physically, such as Breloom, Machamp, and Scizor (among others)). Counter, on the other hand, is a last-ditch option that allows Skarmory to take out a physical attacker that would weaken Skarmory to the point that it would not provide value for the rest of the game. Shed Shell allows Skarmory to escapes Magnezone's Magnet Pull (a nitpick would be to just say Magnet Pull as Magneton does see usage, but don't think it is necessary. only do it if you're really desperate for characters), while Leftovers gives Skarmory better longevity, allowing it to use Whirlwind and Counter more often while Leftovers give Skarmory more longevity to survive repeated hits from Breloom, Machamp, and Jirachi. The EVs allow Skarmory to OHKO +1 Gyarados using Waterfall with Counter after Stealth Rock. do something I do not know, QC pls tell me lol. While Skarmory has the ability to take on certain special attackers, pairing it with Blissey is always a good idea; the two together can handle the bulk of attackers in the tier. Defensive Swampert is an excellent teammate, covering Skarmory's weaknesses to Electric and Fire while adding Stealth Rock to Skarmory's Spikes stack. Bulky Ghost-types like Rotom-A and Dusknoir block Rapid Spin, keeping Skarmory's Spikes on the field in the face of spinners like Forretress and Starmie. (this is all very out of date) Skarmory has many possible partners as a staple of DPP OU; Tyranitar is an excellent partner, as Choiced sets can Pursuit trap Starmie trying to use Rapid Spin and Dragon Dance sets appreciate the extra damage to break through grounded defensive Pokemon such as Swampert, Hippowdon, and Jirachi, all the while setting up sand. Skarmory also appreciates Ghost-types such as Rotom-A and Gengar to prevent Rapid Spin from Starmie, Forretress, and Donphan. Beyond these, Skarmory appreciates teammates who switch into into special attacks. The premier special wall in OU, Clefable, is an excellent choice; however, defensive Swampert, defensive Latias, and Jirachi also provide utility. These Pokemon can even run more offensive sets, such as offensive Stealth Rock, Choice Specs, and mixed, respectively, to take advantage of Spikes. there's so much more to add on teammates, but feel like we'd be here forever

To put in simpler form (I also added some more context):

Skarmory takes flight in DPP OU! Skarmory's astounding physical bulk and excellent defensive typing allow it to check offensive behemoths like Gyarados, Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Metagross while staying healthy with Roost. Additionally, Skarmory provides Spikes, which limits grounded wallbreakers such as Breloom, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Whirlwind complements Spikes by spreading entry hazard damage and providing insurance against setup sweepers. However, the key to this set is how Counter synergizes with Whirlwind. Counter provides Skarmory a more offensive option to remove Pokemon who attempt to break through with physical attacks, while Whirlwind encourages set up sweepers such as Gyarados, Tyranitar, Dragonite, and Scizor to attack into Skarmory lest they lose their boosts. Shed Shell allows Skarmory to escapes Magnezone's Magnet Pull, while Leftovers give Skarmory more longevity to survive repeated hits from Breloom, Machamp, and Jirachi. The EVs allow Skarmory to OHKO +1 Gyarados using Waterfall with Counter after Stealth Rock. Skarmory has many possible teammates as a staple of DPP OU; Tyranitar is an excellent partner, as Choiced sets can Pursuit trap Starmie trying to use Rapid Spin and Dragon Dance sets appreciate the extra damage to break through grounded defensive Pokemon such as Swampert, Hippowdon, and Jirachi, all the while setting up sand. Skarmory also appreciates Ghost-types such as Rotom-A and Gengar to block Rapid Spin from Starmie, Forretress, and Donphan. Beyond these, Skarmory appreciates teammates who switch into special attacks. The premier special wall in OU, Clefable, is an excellent choice; however, Swampert, Latias, and specially defensive Gliscor also provide utility. Skarmory appreciates wallbreakers even on more defensive teams, such as mixed Flygon, offensive Jirachi, and Choice Scarf Lucario, who enjoy Spikes wearing down their answers.

dex please review with me if you have any questions and once you've implemented I'll qc stamp it

Reactions: dex

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
johnnyg2 apologies for how rough a state the spotlight was in, I am not that familiar with DPP OU and really just wanted to see this spotlight get done. I implemented most of your suggestions, with a few ommissions due to character count concerns

This looks good, some small changes ID make is change wall to check in the first sentence. I don’t love the term 50/50 there, but since I imagine you’re very challenged for characters, it’s ok here.

gets the qc check from me! Kris dex

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
add remove conjecture
Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Skarmory takes flight in DPP OU! Skarmory's astounding physical bulk and excellent defensive typing allow it to check offensive behemoths like Gyarados, Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Metagross. Furthermore, Skarmory's Spikes limit wallbreakers like Breloom, Heatran, and Tyranitar. However, the key to this set is the combination of Whirlwind and Counter. Whirlwind encourages setup sweepers like Scizor and Dragonite to attack Skarmory, lest their boosts be wasted, while Counter punishes them for doing so, forcing a 50/50 difficult mindgames. Shed Shell allows Skarmory to escape Magnet Pull, while Leftovers gives Skarmory better longevity, allowing it to use Whirlwind and Counter more often. The EVs allow Skarmory to OHKO +1 Gyarados using Waterfall with Counter after Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is an excellent partner, as Choice item sets can Pursuit trap Starmie, which spins Skarmory's Spikes, and Dragon Dance sets take great advantage of Spikes wearing down bulky foes like Jirachi and Hippowdon. Ghost-types like Rotom-A and Gengar are similarly helpful to spinblock. Clefable provides excellent utility and takes on special attackers like Starmie and Zapdos. Wallbreakers like mixed Flygon and offensive Jirachi enjoy Skarmory's Spikes wearing down their switch-ins.

GP 1/1!

GP Team done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)