Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Explosion

Specially defensive Heatran is a great switch-in to prominent threats like Latias, Jirachi, Rotom-A, and Roserade. Heatran’s also a good Stealth Rock setter thanks to its typing, bulk, and longevity, letting it get it up on punishable Choice-locked Pokemon like Latias locked into Draco Meteor and Jirachi. Lava Plume makes this set difficult to switch into due to every switch-in to Heatran hating a potential burn. Clefable doesn't mind a burn, but Heatran is able to lure it in and KO it with Explosion. Protect lets Heatran scout Choice-locked Pokemon, rack up more residual damage, and gain additional recovery with Leftovers, improving its longevity. Explosion lets Heatran lure in and take out other Pokemon like bulky Water-types and defensive Latias, which would all otherwise be hard stops to it. This set works best on balanced teams due to its unique defensive utility and ability to provide residual damage and set Stealth Rock. Pokemon that benefit a lot from the luring and removal of Clefable with Explosion like Calm Mind Suicune and Latias make great partners.

Last edited:
Specially defensive Heatran is a great switch-in to prominent threats like Latias, Jirachi, Rotom-A, and Zapdos.
I'd consider replacing Zapdos with Roserade, or at least adding Roserade, as switching into Zapdos initially can be risky in lieu of a surprise U-turn into Dugtrio.

It's a good Stealth Rock setter due to its bulk and the switches it forces.
This definitely needs to be more specific. I'd say Heatran is nice at setting em up thanks to its typing, great bulk, and longevity which enables it to punish choice locks like Draco Meteor & Outrage and fend off Jirachi which is the best pkmn in the tier

Before getting into Explosion, mention that Lava Plume helps to compensate for the potential passiveness of this set by threatening almost anything that switches in with a burn. Since Clefable is the only Pokemon that doesn't care about burn at all from Heatran (Loom obviously cannot switch in), this enables Heatran to lure it and remove it with Explosion, which is the main target of this set and should be listed first. You need to also quickly mention that Protect enables it to scout Choice item users (specify some examples) and improves Heatran's longevity tremendously, ofc racking up residual burn damage from Lava Plume.

due to how well it compresses the roles of Stealth Rock setter and blanket check to a wide variety of Pokemon
I'd rephrase this a bit, I'm not even sure if I'd classify it as a "blanket check to a wide variety of Pokemon". I think the part that precedes this is a good statement, just find the proper reasoning to justify it (think of the common teams it finds itself on: FWG Roserade balances, balances that appreciate the breaking power, crippling, & SR setting). It's not really a bulky offense set tho, usually those Heatrans are more offensive.

Jirachi is able to run a more offensive set thanks to Heatran handling the special attackers it would otherwise be designated to hande.
I'd just remove this sentence, it's not really how it works in practice & feels like fluff. Also removing this enables you to have an easier time fleshing out the more important stuff

Gyarados is also a solid partner, checking Infernape, Water-types, and switching into Ground-type attacks well (making it great at taking advantage of Dugtrio that trapped Heatran) while also taking advantage of the Stealth Rock Heatran sets to more easily achieve a sweep with Dragon Dance or wallbreak with Choice Band.
Meh, this makes sense on paper but I don't ever see this set paired with Gyarados. When paired with Gyarados, Heatran typically uses something like Passho Berry + Magma Storm + Explosion on a more offensive set to lure & remove stuff like Starmie and Latias so that Gyarados can sweep. I mentioned the type of team it's usually on above so you should be able to come up with a better example. Think of stuff that really appreciates Clefable in particular being lured & removed.

Gonna be honest, I feel like there are better Heatran sets to feature on social media than this, as it's a pretty specific anti-meta strategy that isn't exactly the golden standard, but it should be fine ig. Lmk when you've made the changes and I'll give it another look.

Was asked to look over this again.

on any Jirachi lacking Hidden Power Ground
0 SpA Jirachi Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 140-168 (36.2 - 43.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Even if it has SpA investment, it should still be able to set up SR vs it, so I'd just remove the mention of HP Ground entirely and say "on Jirachi" rather than "on any Jirachi" just in case, you know...

hating taking a potential burn (except Clefable)
I'd rephrase the first part of this to "potentially taking a burn". I like the mention of Clefable but you still didn't specify Clefable in particular. Use this to throw in a quick sentence about how it lures Clefable and targets it specifically with Explosion.

Protect lets Heatran scout Choice-locks and rack up more residual damage and Leftovers.
Briefly mention that this significantly improves its longevity.

Explosion lets Heatran lure and take out Pokemon like bulky Water-types, Clefable, and defensive Latias, which would all otherwise be hard stops to it.
Because you should mention Clefable earlier, you can say something like "Explosion lets Heatran lure and take out other Pokemon. . .(and then remove Clefable's mention here).

This set works best on balance teams due to its unique defensive utility, residual damage spreading, and setting Stealth Rock
I'd add a word like "simultaneously" in here. You could consider mentioning its ability to lure and break key defensive pieces too if you want.

due to Heatran removing Clefable for them, who’s usually the best stop for them on most teams.
This seems like fluff to me so you can just remove it.

Lmk when you've implemented this and then I'll give the QC approval.

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Add (AC=Add comma)
Remove (RC=Remove comma)
GP 1/1
once implemented.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Explosion

Specially defensive Heatran is a great switch-in to prominent threats like Latias, Jirachi, Rotom-A, and Roserade. Heatran’s also a good Stealth Rock setter due thanks to its typing, bulk, and longevity,(AC) letting it get them it up on punishable Choice-locks Choice-locked Pokemon like Latias’s Latias locked into Draco Meteor and Jirachi. Lava Plume makes this set difficult to switch into,(RC) due to every switch-in to Heatran has hating potentially taking a potential burn. Clefable doesn't mind a burn, but Explosion Heatran is able to lure it it in and KO it with Explosion. Protect lets Heatran scout Choice-locks and Choice-locked Pokemon,(AC) rack up more residual damage,(AC) and gain additional recovery with Leftovers, improving its longevity. Explosion lets Heatran lure in and take out other Pokemon like bulky Water-types and defensive Latias, which would all otherwise be hard stops to it. This set works best on balance balanced teams due to its unique defensive utility,(RC) residual damage spreading, and setting and ability to provide residual damage and set Stealth Rock. Pokemon that benefit a lot from the luring and removal of Clefable with Explosion,(RC) like Calm Mind Suicune or and Latias,(RC) make great partners for this set.

stamp small.gif

Add (AC=Add comma)
Remove (RC=Remove comma)
GP 1/1
once implemented.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Explosion

Specially defensive Heatran is a great switch-in to prominent threats like Latias, Jirachi, Rotom-A, and Roserade. Heatran’s also a good Stealth Rock setter due thanks to its typing, bulk, and longevity,(AC) letting it get them it up on punishable Choice-locks Choice-locked Pokemon like Latias’s Latias locked into Draco Meteor and Jirachi. Lava Plume makes this set difficult to switch into,(RC) due to every switch-in to Heatran has hating potentially taking a potential burn. Clefable doesn't mind a burn, but Explosion Heatran is able to lure it it in and KO it with Explosion. Protect lets Heatran scout Choice-locks and Choice-locked Pokemon,(AC) rack up more residual damage,(AC) and gain additional recovery with Leftovers, improving its longevity. Explosion lets Heatran lure in and take out other Pokemon like bulky Water-types and defensive Latias, which would all otherwise be hard stops to it. This set works best on balance balanced teams due to its unique defensive utility,(RC) residual damage spreading, and setting and ability to provide residual damage and set Stealth Rock. Pokemon that benefit a lot from the luring and removal of Clefable with Explosion,(RC) like Calm Mind Suicune or and Latias,(RC) make great partners for this set.

View attachment 284835
Did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)