Metagame DPP Doubles OU

It's been a couple of months since I did my last team dump and since I already made playoffs for the DPP DOU Swiss Tour, I'll share some of the teams I've built :)

Heal Bell Vaporeon
:tyranitar: :salamence: :latias: :vaporeon: :hitmontop: :steelix:

DD Mence Rain
:salamence: :gengar: :zapdos: :kingdra: :ludicolo: :metagross:

Double Pressure Stall
:arcanine: :heracross: :suicune: :zapdos: :latias: :metagross:

Spread Damage
:blastoise: :togekiss: :tyranitar: :clefable: :abomasnow: :heatran:

Life Orb Nidoking + Scarf Latias Lead
:nidoking: :latias: :metagross: :tyranitar: :blissey: :gyarados:

Twave Spam
:jirachi: :tyranitar: :electivire: :togekiss: :machamp: :gyarados:

Silk Scarf Kang + Life Orb Mence Lead
:kangaskhan: :salamence: :heatran: :weavile: :latias: :swampert:

Lately, I've been thinking about where I stand as a dpp dou player and I don't know how to feel. I truly enjoy creating new teams and using new stuff, but my results in tournament have been lackluster. If I don't win the dpp dou swiss tour, I'm going to take a break from playing dpp until derby. I am getting burned out and I think a part of it has to do with me pushing myself more than I have too. I'm always down to play test games though so feel free to ask me if you ever want to play!

Last edited:

Fritz420

Banned deucer.
Here is my personal vr. Big s/o to zee for putting this together. Tiers 1-3 are ordered!

my-image.png

I personally really love this tier. The best pokemon aren't overbearing enough that it allows you to fill specific roles with niche pokemon, especially without having team preview. That being said, I'd like to go over some of the decisions I made when making this tier list. If you have any questions you can hit me up on discord!

I personally think Heatran is the best pokemon in the format right now. It has an incredible typing and stat spread which is bolstered by the fact that it can effectively run a lot of sets. Chople Berry, Shuca Berry, Lefties and Choice scarf to name a few. It resists a good portion of the tier and can throw out solid damage with heat wave.

The elephant in the room is Metagross. I think Metagross is really good but when I'm building I almost always am checking it naturally without thinking. I think the biggest issue metagross faces is that a lot of teams right now are running bulky waters and zapdos, so it can't just freely click strong meteor mashes. It still has really good offensive presence though and can run a number of sets so I rank it highly

While I wouldn't put Jirachi higher than 4 right now, I think it is super good at compressing roles on teams. It has incredible typing, solid stats, and really good support moves as well as offensive moves. With resist berries or expert belt you can practically sculpt it to soft check whatever you want.

Magnezone is another pokemon I've been really high on. With how good the steels are in this format being able to trap them and either ko with zone or with your partner is super good and really opens up doors for things like sd scizor or dd ttar.

Lastly I'd like to highlight abomasnow. It's held back by its speed stat a lot but abomasnow has a good matchup into a lot of the meta offensively, and is able to reset weather while resisting water attacks which can be super useful if you're wanting extra coverage vs rain.

Here is my personal vr. Big s/o to zee for putting this together. Tiers 1-3 are ordered!

View attachment 606434

I personally really love this tier. The best pokemon aren't overbearing enough that it allows you to fill specific roles with niche pokemon, especially without having team preview. That being said, I'd like to go over some of the decisions I made when making this tier list. If you have any questions you can hit me up on discord!

I personally think Heatran is the best pokemon in the format right now. It has an incredible typing and stat spread which is bolstered by the fact that it can effectively run a lot of sets. Chople Berry, Shuca Berry, Lefties and Choice scarf to name a few. It resists a good portion of the tier and can throw out solid damage with heat wave.

The elephant in the room is Metagross. I think Metagross is really good but when I'm building I almost always am checking it naturally without thinking. I think the biggest issue metagross faces is that a lot of teams right now are running bulky waters and zapdos, so it can't just freely click strong meteor mashes. It still has really good offensive presence though and can run a number of sets so I rank it highly

While I wouldn't put Jirachi higher than 4 right now, I think it is super good at compressing roles on teams. It has incredible typing, solid stats, and really good support moves as well as offensive moves. With resist berries or expert belt you can practically sculpt it to soft check whatever you want.

Magnezone is another pokemon I've been really high on. With how good the steels are in this format being able to trap them and either ko with zone or with your partner is super good and really opens up doors for things like sd scizor or dd ttar.

Lastly I'd like to highlight abomasnow. It's held back by its speed stat a lot but abomasnow has a good matchup into a lot of the meta offensively, and is able to reset weather while resisting water attacks which can be super useful if you're wanting extra coverage vs rain.
Abomasnow is slept on so glad u shouting him out. I feel like he can check a lot things. Especially in trick room where u dont have to worry about bad speed.

The public link to the DPP DOU tiermaker can be found here.

this is my list
1708479860596.png

:zapdos: Zapdos is imo the best mon in the tier currently. It can run a variety of sets from offensive to full bulk and any of them do a great job of accomplishing their goals since Zapdos lacks a lot of natural checks.

:metagross: Metagross beats Tyranitar and Latias (or forces it to lock into HP Ground/Fire) which is so important that it would be tier 2 if that is all it could do, but it also can Explode, quite powerfully may I add, and run a variety of other coverage moves including Earthquake, Bullet Punch, or the elemental punches.

:tyranitar: Tyranitar soft checks a lot of the format and threatens SE damage on Latias and Zapdos. Sand chip keeps bulky leftovers mons from recovering all of your damage. It also has a ton of set variety - DD is a menace that can win games in one turn but tank sets with a billion coverage options are also very good at sliding into certain teams as a mon 5/6 to patch holes.

:latias: Latias speedchecks the tier which is the most important thing about it imo. I don't really bother with the non choiced sets but I have seen them put in work in tournaments. It can be given basically whatever coverage you want, but of course the big appeal is the fact that it's hitting the field and putting an X on anything at around 60% that isn't a steel type.

I could talk about every mon on the list but you don't wanna read that, ping me if you want a take on a specific mon but here's a few I wanna highlight.

:heatran: Heatran has a ton of set variety and possess the coveted Fire typing with a speed tier placing it above Metagross and Scizor. Lead tran does a good job of preying on the rising Registeel. I really recommend getting creative with this guy!

:mew: For a while I believed Mew to be inferior to Cresselia but with how much Thunder Wave has come into the metagame recently I think Mew's synchronize helps a lot at making foes think twice about paralyzing it. I think a lot of Mew sets are good and this mon is currently severely underplayed.

:kangaskhan: I was not a believer until I tried it. Holy shit. It clicks Fake Out without being a shitty lead like Infernape or Weavile, Scrappy Return + Low Kick is crazy coverage, and it gets a flex slot in move 4 ranging from Protect to Sucker Punch to Helping Hand and more. Great enabler of setup leads but it also just gets to rampage pretty often.

:celebi: Celebi is a mon I seem to be higher on than anyone else but if you give it a try I think you'll see I'm onto something. Grass + Ground coverage with natural cure support makes it a really reliable offensive piece with a great speed tier and decent damage output.

:flygon: Flygon has started to impress me more as of late, as the mixed attacking set is pretty scary for middling speed tier Pokemon to answer. It walls any Zapdos lacking HP Ice which is a really rare trait in the current metagame. I think it's good with Latias as opposed to a Latias substitute, as it can click EQ and Fire Blast which lets Latias click Draco Meteor a lot easier.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my-image.png

Following in zee's footsteps i'll share my take on the DPP meta leading up to our money tour that you should all sign up for :)

My list is ordered within tiers outside of tier 5

Strangely enough zee and I share a lot of similar opinions on regards to the metagame as of current which is unsurprising, I think a lot of the meta solidified itself as the cream of the crop and that wont really ever change baring insane meta shifts and most people recognize that as fact. I'll highlight some Pokemon that zee already hasn't and give my thoughts on them.

:Scizor: I think scizor as a mid-to-late set up sweeper is actually devastating in current meta and is able to punish a lot of the most common threats while being able to withstand a lot of hits given the right evs.

:registeel: I wasn't sold on Registeel when dad1 originally used it but against a lot of teams and depending on the lead matchup this Pokemon can be essentially a terrorist spreading status and setting up rocks for fun. Super annoying to play against if you dont have a heatran or a way to effectively wear it down quickly.

:suicune: I have suicune higher than zee as well, again, similar to scizor I think the utilization of this Pokemon as a potential late game sweeper in combination with all of the Thunder Wave that's prevalent in the tier currently makes it an extremely hard thing to deal with even after 1 calm mind.

:bronzong: In my opinion is simply the best Trick Room setter in the tier for high level play, the ability to threaten explosion on any of 5 turns puts insane amounts of pressure on your opponent.

:shaymin: cute n_n - Operates in a similar capacity to Celebi but has the added ability of being able to threaten spdef drops on top of it, at the risk of missing shit ass seed flare. With the dominance of a lot of the tier 1s and 2s even the steel types aren't safe to switch into shaymin due to the threat of a drop and earth power koing after.

All in all I really enjoy playing and building for DPP and it's currently my favourite doubles format. I'm always happy to discuss my thought process being the meta and teams if you want just message me on discord n_n

Last edited:
REMINDER
The money tour will be taking place in the Smogon Doubles room at 11 AM GMT -5 (8 AM GMT -8 // 5 PM GMT +1 // Midnight GMT +8). Hope to see you there!!!
Today is February 2nd, which marks the 11 month anniversary of the tier. For the one year anniversary of DPP DOU, we will be running a $100 ($25 from Bless bage1 Mizuhime zee) double elimination roomtour in the DOU room on March 2nd. Stay tuned for more info.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Congratulations to awesome user sir jelloton for winning the anniversary tour, a well deserved win highlight by some pretty insane matches.

I'd like to talk about some of the unconventional sets and Pokemon he used throughout his run during the tournament including a fan favourite pokemon in Gengar as well as some other interesting choices of Pokemon thought to have fallen out of favour like Infernape, Hitmontop, as well as Rotom-H.

Jello opted to use Gengar on two different teams throughout the tournament after it being rated as a tier 4 Pokemon by both Zee and I. One team he used it as a lead Pokemon and the other team decided to have it in the back. Both sets we're identical, however.

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Trick

As you can see the Gengar is carrying a couple key moves here, Energy Ball for the omnipotent Swampert, and Trick to act as a disrupter for things that could potential switch in to it like Bronzong and bulkier Pokemon like Zapdos. Being able to threaten things straight away from the Lead position is something that isn't really super common in DPP where most people opt for a rock setter or disruption of some sort, either it be in the form of Thunder Wave or Fake out so this was an interesting call to see made.

Jello also brought back Hitmontop and Infernape throughout the duration of the tournament, where both Pokemon have kind of fallen to the way side in terms of usage, they still both have things they do better than other Fake Out users. Infernape provides the fastest fake out in the tier (when ludicolo isn't in rain) and also has Stealth Rock, while hitmontop has access to the best ability in the game Intimidate and priority moves such as Sucker Punch which came into play during the tournament.

However, the one thing I noticed while watching a lot of Jello's games was the decision to Lead Metagross with differing sets.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Explosion

and

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute
- Protect

Both of these sets do different things and as we got later into the tournament people started to expect the former set and were scared of the threat of the Choice Band Earthquake taking a kill on them early, giving Jello the opportunity to set up a Substitute and create openings for the rest of the game. Jello has probably changed my opinion on Metagross and I would consider it a Tier 1 Pokemon now after this tournament.

Once again congratulations to you jello, it was a very good run and you are truly a deserving winner :)

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Just won DPP cup so here's my annual team dump. I'm pretty burnt out on mons so I only used an updated Suicune team (paste below) and the Registeel Latias team from my previous team dump until finals. I figured since this'll be the last time I play DPP in a while, I should build some new teams. Some of them haven't been tested yet and might be ass. As always, teambuilding process is me wanting to use something and then surrounding it with the brokens. Click the sprites for the pastes.

Lead Suicune 2
:suicune: :kangaskhan: :rhyperior: :heatran: :latias: :gyarados:

Screens Setup w/ Lucario
:raikou: :kangaskhan: :lucario: :gyarados: :tyranitar: :salamence:

Lead Sub CM Raikou
:raikou: :hitmontop: :clefable: :gyarados: :scizor: :latias:

Machamp
:zapdos: :kangaskhan: :machamp: :tyranitar: :gyarados: :scizor:

Untested Teams
Manaphy
:manaphy: :kangaskhan: :toxicroak: :latias: :gyarados: :rhyperior:

Lead Shaymin
:shaymin: :tyranitar: :heatran: :gyarados: :scizor: :zapdos:

CM Raikou
:torterra: :kangaskhan: :raikou: :gyarados: :metagross: :salamence:

Thoughts on the meta:
It might just be how I build my teams, but I think Gyarados is the best Pokemon in the format right now (as you can see above, all my teams have one lol). More specifically, I think the DD set with Leftovers is what makes it so dangerous. There's a ton of easy setup opportunities in between Swampert, Scizor, Heatran, -2 Latias, and -1 Kangaskhan to name a few and then it just takes advantage of the lack of Water-resists in the tier and tears through teams. It's bulky enough even uninvested to where the Leftovers healing can make a big difference as long as they don't have a Tyranitar. This replay from one of my semifinals games is a great example of this: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4doublesou-2078325162. The most common Intimidate user (Gyarados) dies to neutral Stone Edge after rocks if its offensive, and the defensive set is easy to wear down and put in range of Stone Edge in between Zapdos, Stealth Rock, or just random stray hits. SpDef set is still good too, since it's able to switch in to a lot of common mons and just chip away at teams with Waterfall or click T-wave.

I also think Kangaskhan is T2 (this is a formal VR nom). And again, this might be a product of how I build my teams, but the way I tend to play DPP is wearing the opponent's team down and then finding a good opportunity for my 1-2 setup attackers to take over the game. Kangaskhan does an amazing job at enabling that with Fake Out and general strong hits. Its last slot also gives it a ton of utility. There's Sucker Punch, Toxic, Helping Hand, and Yawn to name a few.

Other than those two tho, the rest of my thoughts align pretty much with the tier lists posted above. You can build a pretty good DPP team just by surrounding your flavor pick with the four T1 mons + Zapdos/Intimdiate user. Shoutouts chirch for team vibe checks and see y'all when I feel like playing mons again! o7

My semi-annual DPP post has arrived! This will be a mix of VR opinions, meta thoughts, and tour retrospective.

I came second in DPP cup, my highest tour placement yet! I had gotten off to a really bad start, going 0-2, but managed to pull it back and go 1-2 to qualify for the top cut portion of the tour. Even though I benefitted from the "1 win and in" structure, I wholeheartedly support the lengthened Swiss portion for oldgens tours going forward, since act wins being enough to get in was quite silly. It was a little disappointing to lose in the finals, but I'm still happy that I got that far and hope to match or exceed this performance in the next DPP tour. Plus, if there was anyone to lose to in DPP, I'm happy it was DaAwesomeDude1. The teams I used are slight alterations of ones given to me by my DPP savior Bless, the best builder in the tier, and the hero sir jelloton (in addition to the ones I built with/stole from dad1). Some of them are in the samples and some in his post above, and as always, the dad1 Registeel reigns supreme.

Teams

Here are some of the teams I relied on, plus a dogshit one I built for finals. Click on the sprites to access the pastes.

Kang Mence Lead + Lanturn (Credit: Bless/Sunrose)
:kangaskhan: :salamence: :heatran: :lanturn: :bronzong: :gyarados:

It took me a while to warm up to Kang, but it's now my favorite lead in the metagame (more on that later). Lanturn is a really interesting option that matches up well into the omnipresent Zapdos - Gyara compositions. Salamence could probably be swapped for something as I don't believe a sub+three attacks set makes for an ideal lead (Latias runs this set often, and I don't think it's great on that either).

Regi Latias Lead + DD Gyara (Credit: dad1)
:registeel: :latias: :tyranitar: :heatran: :gyarados: :scizor:

If you want to learn the tier or have something solid into every "meta" composition, this is the team for you (and probably one of the best teams overall). Registeel offers so much utility and so much bulk in one slot that Taunt becomes a mandatory bring on opposing leads, freeing Latias to set up a sub or do damage. The free turns from Thunder Wave and the chip from Stealth Rock allow Gyara and Scizor to set up more comfortably, and either can run away with the game once Tyranitar removes Zapdos and other checks.

Suicune Kang Lead + Zong Rhyperior TR (Credit: dad1)
:suicune: :kangaskhan: :rhyperior: :bronzong: :latias: :gyarados:

Dad1 already posted this team earlier in the thread but I'm putting it here again because I think it's more relevant to the meta now that it was before. Kang leads are incredibly solid, and Suicune enjoys the reduction in Zapdos leads while eating up rain teams. Rhyperior has almost always been a fraud in my eyes, but it served me well in the Semifinals.

Kang Gengar Lead + Cress TR (Credit: Bless/Sunrose)
:kangaskhan: :gengar: :cresselia: :heatran: :scizor: :swampert:

Sunrose had passed me a slightly more unhinged version of this team with a Fire-Water-Grass TR core, but I felt that particular unhinged mon was underperforming, so I swapped it for Band Scizor. I changed the Gengar set from bulky to max/max for a better overall lead matchup. The Cress set can be tinkered with, since no attacks Cress is dangerous if you run into taunt.

Zong Mew Lead + Full TR (Credit: Me) (lol) (wtf is this)
:bronzong: :mew: :celebi: :camerupt: :swampert: :hariyama:

I didn't have nearly as much time as I wanted to build for DPP cup finals, but I knew that full, aggressive TR had potential - specifically Guts Hariyama and Camerupt. Dad1 and I had agreed not to bring Registeel to finals, so in hindsight, bringing a team built to beat steels wasn't the best idea. The fire-water-grass core is a solid enough idea given that there's enough coverage to deal with dragons. Celebi in particular is interesting - 100 speed is generally awkward for TR, but here it seems to work fine by underspeeding the fast Tier 1s/2s in Trick Room and outspeeding the uninvested/slow mons outside of it. Hariyama is obscenely powerful, but unfortunately has a really tough time staying on the field for more than a couple of turns. I had used Specs Swampert in the past and wanted to switch things up, so I went for a Curse physical set. This team needs more work to make it properly good, and I'd appreciate feedback/tips on how to improve it.

VR Thoughts

I had initially wanted to make VR noms before the voting slate but then I actually got to vote! I don't know the results yet, but here are some of my thoughts:

:latias: 1 -> 2
Not immediately threatening enough to warrant T1 anymore; its utility options are solid but there's always an opportunity cost with running any set. You give up the power of specs if you're running screens/sub and vice versa, so it's exploitable to some degree by any solid team.

:swampert: 1 -> 2
Teams are overprepared for Swampert these days - HP Grass is widespread, and several mons can take advantage of its passivity to set up (mainly Gyara, which Pert can't touch).

:heatran: 2 ->3
Another victim of Gyara which is also weak to several common leads like Low Kick Kangaskhan (and Infernape lmao).

:gyarados: 2 -> 2
I think dad1 has rightly pointed out that DD gyara is incredibly good right now, and as mentioned above it screws over a lot of the T1-3 mons. However, I'm hesitant to raise it to Tier 1 as it requires a lot of careful positioning to ensure it doesn't immediately die to the tier's powerful electrics, Zapdos and Raikou.

:clefable: 3 -> 4
I don't think redirection is as valuable in this tier as in others. It can definitely be incredibly clutch when pulling a twave away from a setup sweeper, but on the whole, Screens is enough damage mitigation and allows you to have two threatening mons on the field instead of one.

:registeel: 3 -> 2
Beats so many leads, dishes out multiple Twaves per game (or even Toxic if you want to stack DOT with sand), and reliably gets rocks up. It mandates Taunt on all teams and is ridiculously difficult to kill. It's a little passive however, which holds it back from T1.

:kangaskhan: 4 -> 2

I was a skeptic, but I have now seen the light. In this damage trade meta, Kangaskhan's bulk, utility, and power all combine to boost it to the top of the lead rankings. There's no mon that compresses its damage output, ability to take hits, and Fake Out pressure so effectively. I would echo dad1's post above.

An Aside: Thunder Wave

Thunder Wave has been my favorite move to click since the start of this tier, although I no longer do it as blindly as I used to. I wanted to talk about why it's been so good, and why it might not be as present in the meta going forward.

One of the big differences between ADV and DPP DOU, aside from all the major mechanic differences, is the opportunity cost of Lum Berry, which is ubiquitous in ADV. This meta is highly centered around damage trades - wearing down opponents and putting them in a position to lose to your setup. In this context, using Lum Berry means you're giving up the value of health items like Leftovers and Sitrus Berry which can sustain your utility mons while they set up Rocks/Screens/Whatever or give your setup sweepers the ability to survive an additional hit (and therefore deal an additional hit). It also takes away the ability to use a Choice Item, meaning you'd have to spend additional turns to break walls. In the absence of Lum Berry and with very few para-immune mons, Thunder Wave allows you to tilt the balance in your favor - speed, damage output (through full paras), and free turns to set up (also through full paras).

However, since it brings speed down to one-fourth, it means there's additional risk when running Trick Room - and as you can see from the teams above, I really enjoy semiroom structures. You don't want your Trick Room sweeper to contend with a Metagross or Gyarados that suddenly underspeeds you. In addition, the damage trade argument goes both ways - every turn you're spending clicking twave is a turn you're not spending dealing damage. On the whole, the value you get from TWave is predicated on your team structure and how bold you are with setup predictions. My philosophy will remain "fuck it we ball" and manifesting full paras, but not nearly to the extent that it was before.

I've really enjoyed this tier since it's the only one in which I have consistent tour results and am incredibly excited to see how the meta develops during Derby. Thanks again to Sunrose and Jello for supporting my run in DPP cup!

:gyarados: 2 -> 2
I think dad1 has rightly pointed out that DD gyara is incredibly good right now, and as mentioned above it screws over a lot of the T1-3 mons. However, I'm hesitant to raise it to Tier 1 as it requires a lot of careful positioning to ensure it doesn't immediately die to the tier's powerful electrics, Zapdos and Raikou.

I was theory crafting a bit ago about lightning rod rhyperior with gyarados purely so circumvent his electric weakness + allow rhyperior to spam earthquakes without worrying about team damage.

https://pokepast.es/ce212f65bdc0c802

made this team a bit ago, could use work (Ignore monkey + meta I was feeling quirky)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)