Metagame Doubles UU

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DUU deserves it's own sub-forum or at least more threads. There's lots of good resources here but they are all mixed up in same thread. You got VR posts, team dumps, samples, other resources, memes, and other random DUU related comments all mixed together
All of the resources are neatly contained in the first three posts, and there’s links to all of them in the OP. A format that gets ~10-12k ladder battles a month does not deserve its own subforum, nor is there a need to clutter the DOU forum with more threads. If there’s something you’re having trouble finding, please feel free to ask!

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
n1n1 - you nominated gothitelle to drop from Tier 3 to Tier 5 and then gave a positive reason why? I'm assuming you just didn't see it already on the VR. Also, if your noms included a bit more description/reasoning that would be great :blobthumbsup:

I have some VR nominations now that DUU Fall is over, and I'll talk a bit about what I saw in this tournament afterwards.

To start I'll echo n1n1's Tsareena to 1 nom, it's been outstanding in most of its matches and was by far the highest usage mon in the fall tour. Queenly Majesty is such an insane ability and being a reliably strong water-type killer + pivot in U-turn makes it succeed in a lot of ways.

Charizard-Mega-X: Tier 3 -> Tier 5: I know this mon has been overrated in DUU for a long time, and I think we genuinely need to ask ourselves if this thing is good, disregarding its illustrious past in the format. I think it saw a grand total of like 5 or 6 uses in the DUU circuit, and that is in a total of FOUR at least partially different metagames. You don't need to take up the mega slot to beat Metagross and I think we've all seen that Gyarados is an infinitely better Dragon Dance user with Z-Bounce. I'm not convinced legacy should be keeping this thing in 3.

Clefable: Tier 3 -> Tier 4: Think it still has a niche but its very hard to justify using over Togekiss right now. Tailwind and Ground immunity is just better than Unaware and being slightly better vs. Electrics.

Breloom: Tier 4 -> Tier 5: Another mon that has seen almost 0 usage and is very difficult to fit onto teams. Everything beats this Pokemon and Spore isnt good enough to justify using it over Tsareena, and stacking Grasses puts you at a heavy disadvantage.

Latios: Tier 4 -> UR: No reason to use this, totally totally outclassed by Naganadel or Hydreigon.

Meloetta: Tier 4 -> Tier 3: Has too many good sets to be in Tier 4. TR setter and Z-Celebrate are both pretty good right now, especially when many teams TR checks are Ghostium Ghost-types. I think other sets like Life Orb or Choice Specs even have merit on proper teams.

Clefairy: Tier 5 -> UR: Friend Guard isn't good enough to make up for not using Togekiss, nor do any teams even need the added partner bulk. This sits on the shelf of mons that are technically usable but shouldn't be ranked.

Theoretically good Pokemon in Tier 5 that haven't been proven to be usable/were usable in a different time
: Tier 5 -> UR: Lopunny-Mega and Salazzle (nobody uses these and Fast Fake Out isn't very good right now when you aren't named Raichu), Talonflame (This fits on exactly 0 teams, doesn't do enough damage to anything especially with Mane around and there are far better offensive speed control users), Tornadus (People stopped using this after the DOU fad of using it passed, see the point about Talonflame), Hoopa-Confined (Too many better trick room setters. Sorry little guy :blobpensive:).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I really liked what I saw in DUU Fall. I thought most everybody was actively engaged in playing the format, building their own teams, and using resources, which could not make me happier. Tsareena was absolutely dominant, nearly hitting 50% usage, and after round 1 Naganadel had an absurdly good winrate. Metagross and Thundurus remain dominant, and typical Goth-Mane archetypes didn't do so well. In fact, both found their most success win used outside that strict archetype. Azumarill saw its typically decent winrate fall to just 33.33% - a product of teams becoming even less reliant on set-up and more focused on balanced offense to win games.

I cannot thank you all enough for supporting this circuit and this format. DUU still makes me feel like I did when I first started playing mons - I still enjoy watching and playing it all the time. Being able to run this thread and host competitive tournaments for DUU is the best part of everything I do on Smogon, and I have you all to thank for that. Keep an eye out for more DUU tournaments in 2019!

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Here are some of the coolest sets I created during the seasonal, these sets I haven't seen anyone else use so will share them with you. Some worked great, other not so much

Z-Trick Room Delphox

Delphox @ Psychium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater
- Fire Blast

This one worked out great for me, it was the core of the team that carried me to finals, overall 5-1 record. This mon is good because it is probably the only guy who can set Z-Trick Room and match up well versus Scizor and Metagross. Also Fire Blast becomes 100% accuracy after the Z-Trick Room. Being able to successfully pull off Dream Eater is one of the coolest things I have been able to do, its been consistent enough for me to use it over Psychic.

Z-Ally Switch Metagross

Metagross @ Psychium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ally Switch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Stomping Tantrum

This Metagross set has also worked well for me and become my preferred set. The speed EVs out run Manelectric after Z-Ally Switch, max Attack, and the rest is dump in HP. I prefer no Protect so I can kill as many things as possible without having to switch out which would remove the speed boost

Assault Vest Decidueye

Decidueye @ Assault Vest
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Brave Bird
- Spirit Shackle
- U-turn

Its a Bird, its not bad

Bulky Landorus

Landorus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 52 HP / 64 Def / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

I created this set to (1) u-turn on Goth, (2) Kill Entei, (3) provide ice coverage, (4) hit Tsareena reasonable hard, (5) and offer a bit more bulk to my otherwise frail team. The lack of LO can make his power feel relatively underwhelming, but the bulkyness and U-turn makes it more well rounded and a better option for certain teams.

The 140 SpA OHKO the standard Entei and does something else I forgot. The remaining HP and Def evs are optimized for taking hits from Entei.

Super Gourgeist

Gourgeist-Super @ Expert Belt
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flame Charge
- Phantom Force
- Seed Bomb
- Protect

I created this set after looking for a mon with Insomnia to help versus Z-Trick Room match up.

After 1 Flame Charge you'll reach 228 speed which out runs the standard Scizor, Tsareena, and Metagross sets. After 2 Flame Charge you'll out speed Entei.

Deoxys-Bad

Deoxys-Speed @ Eject Button
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off

This mon is part of a team that was inspired by a gen6 stratos team, I'll save that for another post.

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
VR Voting!

Tsareena: Tier 2 -> Tier 1
  • N10sit: yeah ive finally seen the light queenly majesty is just too bonkers on a mon with this movepool and stats
  • Lord death man: abstain
  • Demantoid: Yes. It’s very hard to build a good team without Tsareena.
  • Aurarayquaza: I've said this since the first tour of this circuit

Delphox: UR -> Tier 5
  • N10sit: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no sorry n1n1 but i think its just too fast, i just think you’re better off using meloetta or musharna for z-tr and then having chandelure as an offensive tr setter. The two things you’re supposed to be checking in this slot over musharna and melo are scizor and gross, every scizor still u-turns for free bc fox is too fast, and slow gross still wins that matchup. I just think nobody respected n1n1 or his team enough and they got punished every time until demantoid figured it out. Also i played some games with this and its just not good its outclassed every time
  • Lord death man: it did good right? 5 is fine.
  • Demantoid: sure
  • Aurarayquaza: abstain

Gothitelle: Tier 3 -> Tier 2
  • N10sit: yea lol shadow tag is nuts its poor winrate in tour was just bc ppl lost a lot with my sample
  • Lord death man: yeah.
  • Demantoid: yes
  • Aurarayquaza: sogood

Togekiss: Tier 2 -> Tier 3
  • N10sit: yeah no its still too good for 3 it’d be easily the best mon in tier 3
  • Lord death man: no
  • Demantoid: No. Togekiss provides very good support with high bulk even if it does have several bad matchups.
  • Aurarayquaza: no, toge is still super fat and great at redirecting/setting tw

Gastrodon: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
  • N10sit: yep gastrodon tier
  • Lord death man: yeah
  • Demantoid: Yes. Pretty good both offensively and defensively.
  • Aurarayquaza: yeah this is good

Mega-Charizard-X: Tier 3 -> Tier 4 or Tier 5
  • N10sit: my nom
  • Lord death man: 5 it’s hard to justify over good megas
  • Demantoid: 4 It’s pretty hard to use
  • Aurarayquaza: 5 its sucked for a very long time now

Clefable: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
  • Lord death man: yeah kiss is usually better even vs like mane teams
  • Demantoid: Yes. Togekiss is mostly better
  • Aurarayquaza: yeah this was good when azu was

Breloom: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
  • Lord death man: yes this sucks
  • Aurarayquaza: terrible mon

Latios: Tier 4 -> Tier 5 or UR
  • Lord death man: UR its like barely better than Keldeo
  • Demantoid: 5
  • Aurarayquaza: UR holy this this is a bad mon

Meloetta: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
  • Lord death man: yes
  • Demantoid: yes. Meloetta is sogood
  • Aurarayquaza: yeah its fat and good typing and strong

Clefairy: Tier 5 -> UR
  • Lord death man: 5 it has a sizable niche its just also awkward
  • Demantoid: 5. Still pretty good support even though it’s mostly outclassed
  • Aurarayquaza: 5 this is still quite a nice mon

Lopunny mega: Tier 5 -> UR
  • Lord death man: UR
  • Demantoid: UR
  • Aurarayquaza: yeah its just not great UR

Salazzle: Tier 5 -> UR
  • Lord death man: yeah, raichu mostly took over lazzle’s small niche
  • Aurarayquaza: UR

Talonflame: Tier 5 -> UR
  • Lord death man: ur

Tornadus: Tier 5 -> UR
  • Lord death man: never see this, UR
  • Demantoid:UR

Hoopa-C: Tier 5 -> UR
  • N10sit: my nom :-(
  • Lord death man: yeah
  • Aurarayquaza: sobad

Results:
Tsareena: Tier 2 -> Tier 1
Delphox: UR -> Tier 5
Gothitelle: Tier 3 -> Tier 2
Gastrodon: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Charizard-Mega-X: Tier 3 -> Tier 5
Clefable: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Breloom: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Latios: Tier 4 -> UR
Meloetta: Tier 4 -> Tier 3
Lopunny-Mega: Tier 5 -> UR
Salazzle: Tier 5 -> UR
Talonflame: Tier 5 -> UR
Tornadus: Tier 5 -> UR
Hoopa-C: Tier 5 -> UR

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
Hey everyone, I've been doing some extensive planning for the new year and I would like to announce the current plans for the 2019 DUU Circuit. It will be run in a similar fashion to this years, but hopefully I have worked out all of the kinks and made the circuit both more rewarding to play in and easier to succeed in. Notably, the scoring system has been overhauled, the BFL has been changed from 2 to 3, and a playoff has been introduced! This playoff will be for the Top 8 players in the final standings, and will pay out to Top 4. The $80 in prizing will be paid out as follows:

Winner: $50 and a custom role in the DOU Discord
Second Place: $20
3rd and 4th Place: $10

And here is the scoring system I've worked up:

duuscoring2019.png

The current schedule (all dates of course in 2019):

Winter Showdown: Sign ups posted January 21st, will run from January 28th until March 4th or 11th.
Spring Showdown: Sign ups posted April 7th, will run from April 14th to May 19th or 26th.
Summer Showdown: Sign ups posted September 1st, will run from September 8th to October 13th or 20th.
Fall Showdown: Sign ups posted November 10th, will run from November 17th to December 22nd or 29th.
Top 8 Playoff: Will begin January 5, 2020.

The reason I am announcing all of this well in advance is I would like some feedback from all of you, mostly on these topics:
  • What didn't you like about last years circuit? Has it been addressed, or what needs to change?
  • Do you think the scoring system is fair and balanced? If not, what would you change?
  • Do you think the gap between the Spring and Summer tournaments is too large? It currently exists to avoid too much overlap with our DOU tournaments.
  • If there's anything else you feel is missing or if you have any questions, please ask about them!
I'm excited for the new year and hoping to hear back from everyone. Here's to a fun 2019!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Tier Shift Time!

Mawile-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Gyarados moved from DUU to DOU
Gardevoir-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Garchomp moved from DUU to DOU
Manectric-Mega moved from DUU to DOU
Gastrodon moved from DUU to DOU
Zeraora moved from DOU to DUU
Arcanine moved from DOU to DUU

We lost... a lot. Three of the best megas and Garchomp all had fairly notable niches in the meta, and Zeraora's sure to be an interesting addition. Arcanine is always decent as well, and I believe this is where it belongs.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Krook 5 > 4. It felt really good before to me; one of the few viable mons that could set rocks, has intimidate, a good stab combo, etc. but was seriously held back by Gardevoir and Gyarados existing. Despite its rather poor matchup vs a lot of common mons, it can run enough bulk to live common hits or force something use its z-move at an inopportune time.

Also rocks are great right now; teams feel bulky and there's quite a bit of switching/pivoting via mons like Scizor, and Krook is one of the small handful of mons who can viably run rocks.

Porygon Z 3 > 4 or lower. Setting this up is so hard and it's so inconsistent and I just don't feel like it's worth the hassle usually. Z-Celebrate Meloetta is sitting in the same tier, doing something similar while having other sets. I'm aware Pz hits single targets much harder, has a paralysis or fake out immunity, can run one type fairly well and two types okay as mixups (Electric, Ghost, and Dark respectively) but I just don't think its worth the hassle when Meloetta sets up 10x easier, faces less situations where its type is a massive liability, and is worth using without setup.

The rise in use of Raichu (and possibly newcomer Zeraora) especially hurts. When was the last time you saw this mon, and when was the last time you saw this mon be successful?

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
I need more sample teams please so if y'all have teams please post them !!

Some VR council news! With Aura's ongoing hiatus, the wonderful talkingtree has rejoined the rank of DUUde. We have a short amount of changes here. Stay tuned for the first DUU circuit tour, signups coming January 17th!

Arcanine -> Tier ?
  • N10sit: 3, lots of good sets + viable intim, competition with entei is always tough
  • Lord death man: 3.
  • Demantoid: 3. Always safe to put it in the same place as Entei. Has good matchups against a lot of the best mons.
  • Talkingtree: 3 seems like a good starting point

Zeraora -> Tier ?
  • N10sit: tier 2 actually i think both offensive and support sets work on this mon and its so good at being a fast pivot
  • Lord death man: 3.
  • Demantoid: 3. Faster than basically everything with good utility moves. More importantly it might make the ladder stop using Raichu.
  • Talkingtree: 3, though it could definitely end up higher next shift. I just don’t feel great about putting it too high when Tsareena easily takes any hit and blocks Fake Out and Tsareena is everywhere.

Krookodile -> Tier 5 -> Tier 4
  • N10sit: yes krooks good now, its matchups vs current team types has improved considerably
  • Lord death man: my nom
  • Demantoid: yes. I think it has been good for a while now
  • Talkingtree: yes, I’ve always liked krook tbh

Porygon-Z -> Tier 3 -> Tier 4
  • N10sit: this is fine, z-celebrate meloetta outclasses
  • Demantoid: yes. Not having a reliable spread move hurts it a lot
  • Talkingtree: yes, it’s not bulky enough and doesn’t have great matchups anymore

Results:
Arcanine: UR -> Tier 3
Zeraora: UR -> Tier 3
Krookodile: Tier 5 -> Tier 4
Porygon-Z: Tier 3 -> Tier 4

Last edited:

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Some of the teams ive enjoyed using for the past few weeks. Probably not the best but they're not the worst i guess.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Fire Fang
- Tailwind
- Protect

Araquanid @ Figy Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Wide Guard

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 224 HP / 108 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Metagross @ Groundium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Entei @ Figy Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

Silvally @ Wiki Berry
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Parting Shot
- Roar

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Araquanid @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Bug Bite
- Toxic
- Sticky Web

Entei @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Protect

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 148 HP / 248 Def / 112 SpA
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stomping Tantrum

Latias @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Heal Pulse

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Protect

Entei @ Aguav Berry
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Roost
- Protect

Kyurem @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Glaciate
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn
- Protect

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Fake Out
- Protect

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Silvally @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 4 SpA /120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Tailwind
- Parting Shot
- Roar

Last edited:
Some of the teams ive enjoyed using for the past few weeks. Probably not the best but they're not the worst i guess.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Fire Fang
- Tailwind
- Protect

Araquanid @ Figy Berry
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Wide Guard

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Leaf Guard
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Metagross @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

Entei @ Figy Berry
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

Silvally @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Parting Shot
- Roar

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Araquanid @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Bug Bite
- Toxic
- Sticky Web

Entei @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Protect

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 148 HP / 248 Def / 112 SpA
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stomping Tantrum

Latias @ Wiki Berry
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Heal Pulse

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Protect

Entei @ Aguav Berry
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Roost
- Protect

Kyurem @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Glaciate
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- U-turn
- Protect

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
Adamant Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Fake Out
- Protect

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Silvally @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 4 SpA /120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Tailwind
- Parting Shot
- Roar
Just a few things I noticed after playing with your teams for a little while:

- Your Silvallys have the wrong berry. Use Iapapa Berry instead. I got confused after consuming it.

- You would be better off using the sample spread for Tsareena:

"EVs: 224 HP / 108 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 80 Spe Adamant Nature - lives mega lucario close combat and 2 shaymin-sky air slashes, outspeeds 252 speed adamant azumarill" - https://docs.google.com/document/d/13Z2FGrUK3vLZSzFGm-EJizIYP0OvPJab5M9I57qLFAc/edit

- The Lando is Sand Force. Make it Sheer Force. Assuming this was just an accident. Personally I would also run Rock Slide>U-Turn on it, as I rarely ever click the latter and missed the former several times. Usually when Lando is in, one prefers to attack with Sludge/EP/Rock Slide, rather than pivot to something else. Admittedly this may be more of a personal preference tho.

- You're much better off using Stealth Rock with a different item on Krook on all three teams it's on imo (as locking into SR is rarely ever a good play, much like locking into Pursuit for that matter). SR really goes a long way vs VoltTurn in particular, but also vs most teams in general. I would also refrain from using EQ on any team, but the one with Aero. On all the other teams you hurt yourself too much. Rock Slide+EQ spam in TW with Krook+Aero is a very potent strategy, however. I am not entirely certain as to what move would be best in the 4th slot on Krook between Protect/Pursuit/Rock Slide, but the first three should be Stomping Tantrum, Knock and SR.

Hope this was worthwhile and thx for sharing the teams:]

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
DUU Mega-Pidgeot inspired from Totem's original Gen6 DOU team
As of the most recent tier shift, we lost three great megas. With less megas to choose from, I believe Mega-Pidgeot is a viable option in the current DUU metagame. This bird has a great match up versus Tsareena and checks Steel types well with Heat Wave.
Now to build this Mega-Pidgeot team, I dont think there is a better place to start than by using BLOOD TOTEM's iconic Gen6 team as a framework. Lets take a look at that team...
BYAKUREN (Pidgeot) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Protect

ORIN (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 58 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

MOKOU (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

YOUMU (Garchomp) @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Sunny Day
- Protect

NITORI (Gyarados) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Protect

SHAMEIMARU (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

4 of these mons are in DOU, so I will try to find DUU mons that can replicate their roles. Here is a list of the most important characteristics from Totem's team that I want to carry over into my team:
  • Fast Steel type
  • Fast Fire type
  • Ground/Dragon
  • Strong Water
  • Sun Setter
  • Powerful set up offense (Quiver Dance or Dragon Dance)
  • Trick Room check
Here is what I came up with
Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Whirlwind
- Protect

Metagross @ Psychium Z
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ally Switch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Stomping Tantrum

Stratos Sun (Ninetales) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Over Heat
- Solar Beam
- Sleep Talk

Zygarde-10% @ Focus Sash
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Araquanid @ Figy Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 72 Def / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Liquidation
- Leech Life/Bug Bite
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Deoxys-Speed @ Eject Button
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off/Taunt

The original Mega-Pidgeot is running HP Steel as a Mega-Diancie check, I replaced that with Heatwave to hit Mega-Scizor and Metagross as they are huge threats in DUU. Also I am replacing Hyper Beam with Whirlwind to help check Trick Room.
Deo-Speed is the only other DUU mon I can carry over form the original, the moves are the same except I am running Knock-off over Taunt just because thats my preference, although Taunt is a solid option on this team too. This Deo-Speed has enough speed to out-run Zeraora and has max SpA to make the most out of Psycho Boost and Ice Beam. With 144 dump in HP, its bulky enough to take a hit or two, and as its most likely the fastest mon on the field, I'm using Eject Button. After hitting a Psycho Boost the SpA drop to Deo-Speed can be major a drag on momentum so Eject Button really helps.

Z-Ally Switch Metagross is my replacement for Scarf Heatran. It's speed is EVs allows it to out-run Naganadel after the Ally Switch and kill it with Zen Headbutt. I have opted to forgo Protect in favor of Stomping Tantrum to hit opposing Metagross and fire types such as Entei, Arcanine, and Blacephalon.

Scarf Ninetails fills the roles of Fire Type mon and Sun Setter. Its running what you probably expect a Scarf Ninetail to run with the expectation of the 4th move. If I fail to stop Z-Trick Room from going up the first mon I probably want to sacrifice is the one with scarf. Considering that and the fact that aside from fire moves and Solar Beam the Ninetails doesnt have any decent attacks in its movepool for the Scarf set. So Sleep Talk is a really cool trick up my sleeve to pull out against Z-Trick Room.

Zydog is the replacement for Garchomp and fills the Set up sweeper role with Dragon Dance (replacing Ddance Gyarados). Its a pretty frail mon so it runs Sash and Extreme Speed. But it packs a lot of power especially after a Dragon Dance. It also is an important check to fire mons.

Finally Araquanid fills the last slot and the required Water type role. It has a standard set, I have it at minimum speed to help against Trick Room. As a bulky bug type it also improves my match up against some of the viable Pyschic types in DUU like Goth and Meloetta. My team is already plenty fast so Wide Guard provides more value than Sticky Web.

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
ok some more noms

Krook 4 > 3. This just moved up but I think it's really good, as before I think it has a lot of blatantly terrible matchups which can make me hesitate a bit, but it's so consistently reliable as an offensive utility mon with an amazing stab combo that I think it deserves to move up. Krook is probably the most reliable rocks setter and has a very usable scarf set that can take advantage of Earthquake being a very excellent attack at the moment. It is one of the few viable Intimidate as well, which is obviously useful even if Krook itself doesn't have the best type to switch into most common physical attackers.

Araquanid 5 > 4. Physical attacker with a fantastic type and great special bulk, similar to Krook it seems like it has a lot of terrible matchups on paper, but Liquidation hits like a truck, and the ability to potentially throw out webs can force the opponent to double target it. Immunity to burns is also nice, making it one of the few mons that can reliably switch into Arcanine without risking a stat drop. It's also pretty much the only viable user of Wide Guard atm.

Blaziken-Mega 5 > 4. I think this is really good idk. Fantastic stab combo gives it the ability to threaten a large portion of the meta, and the few things it doesn't hit very hard can be covered with Rock Slide or Earthquake (or Knock Off, though I personally think you're better off with Rock Slide). I think its better than Charizard-X and finds itself useful more often than not.

Latias-Mega UR > 5. I've seen this a lot in friendly matches and I think it's decent, kind of riding on its success in DOU here, but I do think it has a lot of very positive traits and can be useful as both a utility mega with tailwind and a bulky wincon with calm mind. I think we should consider being conservative with its initial placement because it hasn't quite proven itself in the same way I feel it has in DOU and is somewhat harder to support. Surprised it hadn't been ranked already.

Hitmontop 4 > 5. I like Top but it's in an absolutely horrible spot with Tsareena around. It's rare that I want everything Top can offer but am absolutely fine with it having both fake out and feint crippled by Tsareena.

Some mons I like lately but don't really think deserve a shift

Rotom-Wash. I like electroweb sets a lot, generally not a mon people prep for offensively or defensively, Tsareena needs to run quite a bit of speed to hit it with a Power Whip before it burns her, ally switch is a very powerful move and its just very good at being an annoying utility mon.

Nihilego. I used to really hate this mon, but I think bulkier sets carve out a niche above Lando-I. Absolutely absurd special bulk + very threatening coverage is incredibly nice. However, several mons absolutely trash it and Skymin, which would be really nice to check, can just trash it with an Earth Power.

Greninja. I think that Dark is a really, really good typing right now. Protean is imo the preferred ability - having a very high chance to OHKO Scizor with HP Fire w/o a life orb can be nice, even if you're just threatening to do it and aren't actually packing it. Focus Sash is cool, z-moves are cool, etc. It really only chooses between 6 moves (Hydro Pump, Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, HP Fire, Mat Block, Protect) but can manage to be scarily versatile despite that. Battle Bond might work if you're going to be stabs + mat black but I'm doubtful, don't want to dismiss it without testing though.

Sylveon. Despite the lack of fairies, fires and steels are still everywhere, but Sylveon can often be a huge pain for these teams. I think it needs SR very bad in order to really chip away at Arcanine/Entei/Scizor, but dealing with this thing is a massive pain at mid-game, especially if its paired with some solid speed control. Also Wide Guard is nonexistant outside of Araquanid.

Stealth Rock. Not a mon but this move is great rn and a lot of teams can benefit from finding a way to fit it on them. Fires are good, pivots are good, roar is good, and several prominent mons like Naga and Skymin often run sash.

Fairly straightforward mega luke offense team

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb

Entei @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

As far as the VR, i want to voice agreement with the mega blaze and krook nominations. Mega blaze is really, really enjoying the prominence of tsareena because of both the good matchup and the support that queenly majesty provides. Krook is largely because of rocks being super useful right now. My own nomination is:

Arcanine 3 -> 4
Intimidate is not all that good right now and entei is a clear notch better to me, being so much less passive while retaining solid bulk.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
I strongly agree with LDM's noms for Krook and Araq. They get a ton of usage for good reason.
But strongly disagree with the down nom of Arcanine. Although not as strong as Entei, Arcanine's Intimidate is invaluable and its interesting move pool (snarl, burn up, morning sun, ect) make it a strong contender for best fire mon in the game.

Mega-Abomasnow --> Tier 5
This mon would be better if DUU had more bulky waters and 4x ice weak mons like DOU. But Steel mons (metagross, bish, m-scizor, m-luke) and fire mons (entei, arcanine, blace) are far more centralizing. Of all the viable megas, Abomasnow has the most heavy reliance on speed control.

Muk-A --> Tier 4
I havnt seen any usage of this mon, and I dont see how it is deserving of Tier 3. Its pretty weak, and as we have discovered over time, pulling off pinch berries is not so difficult, so its ability isnt that special, neither is its move pool.

Mega Pidgeot --> Tier 5
Deo-Speed --> Tier 5

My previous post has all the reasoning for what makes these mons good. so just take a look at what I said 3 post above

Last edited:

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
Silvally-Water --> Tier 5
Like I feel blind for not seeing this on vr, tw + mono water type + u-turn intimidate = good mon.... amirite. Basically the poor man's suicune. I have seen how easy it is to set speed control against top tier steels and fires l. No pinch berry is bad though.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Sub-Nihilego inspired by DOU's Sub-Kartana

With Beast Boost, good offensive coverage and decent speed, Nihilego reminds me of Kartana.
First step to EV'ing this mon is dump max EVs into its lowest defense stat, thats also the common practice for Sub-Kart. So now its Defense reaches a somewhat respectable 212, up from its base of 130.
Next you have to dump at least 36 EVs into SpA for Beast Boost to increase the Special Attack.
You now have 220 EVs remaining for Speed and an HP dump. The amount of Speed you choice depends on your team, here are some relevant benchmarks:
  • 220 EVs reaches 297
  • 208 EVs reaches 294 (enough to outrun Deoxys after Sticky Web/Icy Wind)
  • 172 EVs reaches 285 (out runs max speed base 80 mons, and Zeraora after an Sticky Web/Icy Wind)

Nihilego @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpA / 172 Spe
Bold Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Echoing LDM's noms on Araquanid, Krook, Blaze and M Lati

Here are also some other hot takes of my own, feel free to agree/disagree

Chansey UR -> Tier 5
Chansey's role in DUU isnt too different from its role in DOU, being a fat blob that is hard to kill while providing support in SR, Icy Wind, Ally Switch... and passive damage with Toxic/Seismic toss. Its ability to wall strong special breakers such as Naga and Lando I and outlast them is really nice as well.

Silvally-Normal UR -> Tier 4/5
Its access to Tailwind, Parting Shot, Roar and a ton of other utility moves allow it to support its teammates really well by providing speed control, phazing and even act as a pivot if needed. It also gets coverage options such as Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam; all of which can be run depending on the team to help against some tougher matchups. Like Mack Knife has said, its basically a poor man's Suicune. However in this case, i decided to forgo the Water memory and a better defensive typing for a pinch berry instead, which i feel Silvally would appreciate more due to its lack of recovery options.

Kyurem Tier 4 -> Tier 3
I feel that Kyurem is in a pretty good spot right now, being able to take a lot of attacks comfortably thanks to its good natural bulk and at the same time dish out decent damage with Ice Beam/Earth Power that 2HKOs half the tier (against common stuff such as M Latias, Naga, Krook, Tsar, Entei, Rk9 etc..) which is pretty nice. Its bulk also allows it to run AV effectively without sacrificing a lot of attack to hit certain benchmarks, such as Naga's Draco Meteor for example. Icium Z and Berry are also both viable options; Icium Z lets Kyurem win 1v1 against CM Latias with a combination of Glaciate + Z Ice Beam while Berry gives it the extra 50% HP recovery without having to drop a moveslot for roost.

Azumarill Tier 2 -> Tier 3/4
It just isnt as good as it used to be. Tsareena's prevalence on teams just makes its life hard since it cant setup easily or abuse Aqua Jet and has to rely on Knock Off/DEdge for damage. Low speed tier means that it is almost always taking a hit before setting up. Stuff like Zeraora, Skymin, Naga and Lando I also can force it out easily and are relatively common, giving it very little room for setup. It only really fits well on Goth teams where Goth can help trap things and set Trick Room, giving the user an easier time positioning Azu to actually setup and sweep with BDrum.

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello i am out of duu tour so i'm posting some of the teams that i had a lot of success with

this 5 minute team proves that you can indeed take the top mons, put them all in a team, and win with it. I looked through my builder and notices I didn't have any naganadel teams so I built this real quick and it actually worked out fine. sub metagross is fire. mega blastoise was only there to complete the fwg core and ig i needed something for arcanine too lol.

Thundurus @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 28 SpA / 56 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 76 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Stomping Tantrum
- Substitute
- Protect

Naganadel @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Feint

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 24 Def / 8 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Roar
- Protect

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Fake Out

someone mentioned ice z kyurem in the duu chat so i decided to build with it and it turned out pretty great. paired it with sd mega sciz because they covered each other very well and rounded it off with togekiss for the fairy/dragon/steel core. arcanine is like everywhere so sd u turn is the set right now, imo. also let's me get in kyurem safely and donk stuff with ice z. zeraora and rk9 was added because they're a solid backbone. necrozma is kind of the weak link, i didn't know what else to put there but other than kyurem and scizor i didn't really have anything that has any offensive pressure. i also needed that pokemon to have decent bulk and resist fighting so i can switch into mega luke so i just went with necrozma lol.

Kyurem @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Protect

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Togekiss @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 72 SpD / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Protect

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Atk / 116 SpD / 128 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Snarl

Arcanine @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Roar
- Protect

Necrozma @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 200 HP / 196 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

probably my favorite duu team right now. mega luke is absolutely crazy and there are honestly a lot of pokemon you can get a SD on. paired it with togekiss so i can get SD up easier and togekiss is just a pretty good mon in general. had hydreigon after that to round up the fairy/dragon/steel core and it's another strong nuke mon if i need it. I had roost instead of tailwind because, in testing, i found that i switched hydreigon into stuff a lot (tsareena power whip, krook knock offs, anything from zeroara, etc) so i changed it to roost. i also never clicked tailwind with hydreigon so there's that lol. rounded it up with zeroara + arcanine because they're just a really good backbone for a team. fake out support is nice for lucario too. added tsareena last for bulky waters like azu and it's just a good glue mon in general

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Togekiss @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 72 SpD / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Protect

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Atk / 116 SpD / 128 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Snarl

Arcanine @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Roar
- Protect

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Feint

this season of duu was probably the most fun i've had in this tier so here's hoping that tier shifts don't change that
PS: ladderchads pls spam kingdra rain thanks

Lord Death Man

i cant read
the tour just ended so i have some noms i've been sitting on that i'm going to make

also i'm sorry about my sample team doing so poorly I was dead wrong about everything that would be good before the tour started. i especially want to take back my Blaziken nomination. i think it's still fine in 5 but Araquanid wasn't remotely on my mind and I thought Latias-Mega was much less threatening than it actually is at the time.

rises
Krook 4 > 2. I nommed this for 3 but it has insane usage and a positive winrate in the DUU tour, it's an amazing glue mon that can run a lot of sets.

Entei 3 > 2. Another mon that did incredibly well (whereas Arcanine was used more and won less), I think it's an amazing glue mon that fits most teams.

Araquanid 5 > 3. Torn between 2 and 3 for this, another amazing glue mon, water is an absolutely fantastic stab, its hard to intimidate because of its type, its hard to just tank it because of bug bite giving it healing from quite a few utility mons, webs are very strong, 5 is WAY too low for it.

Zeraora 3 > 2. Another another just generally great all purpose mon with good results, it's easily the most viable fake out user and despite having not amazing matchups with several good mons, it manages to pull its weight in almost all matchups. AV, LO, z-move sets, and pinch berries all have viability because of its good mix of power and just enough bulk.

Latias-Mega UR > 2. Absolutely ridiculous and somewhat dominant out of nowhere, I think the popularity of this seriously shifted how I have to think about building. While it almost always is running CM and Roost, the other two moves can be pretty much anything and guessing wrong can lead to your Scizor taking a +1 HP Fire or it suddenly becoming Steel/Psychic type vs a Metagross, terrifying threat.

Aerodactyl-Mega 5 > 3. I think this was seriously underrated before the tour - it had one week of insane usage + results and I think it's way too good for 5, I'd be fine with 4 but I think 3 is right. It's a fast mon with a huge amount of flexibility and team support options that isn't insanely frail, and worst case scenario you can just click rock slide.

Moltres UR > 5. The bar to be ranked in 5 is pretty low but this mon is good. It's kind of a check to a lot of things but just really hates SR and electrics so I'm not sure I could really see it going higher, but it has a niche.

drops
Venusaur-Mega 3 - 5. Bulky teams want Latias-Mega or Scizor, it loses to Latias-Mega teams and just generally doesn't have a lot of good matchups. It gets chipped consistently through matches, and the big stuff it checks aren't that popular. Without Sleep Powder it'll spend most of its turns clicking Synthesis/Leech Seed and hoping it doesn't take more than it heals back.

Blastoise Mega 4 - UR. There's a ton of good megas and just not really any teams where I feel that anything this offers is compellingly useful.

Sylveon 4 > 5. I like this but it's so bad and I think we all know that.

Hydreigon 3 > 4 (or lower). Naganadel and Latias-Mega are usually better dragons, and I think it struggles to really capitalize on what it does relative to those two.

Muk-Alola 3 > 5. Muk's good matchups are on and vs trick room, and trick room is borderline nonexistent, so Muk struggles to find a place in the tier. It's one of the better Latias-Mega answers available, but that doesn't fix its other flaws.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
Thanks to everyone who participated in the kickoff to the 2019 DUU mini-circuit. I'd like to go over my impressions from this tour, do a segment on the winners and losers, and then make some VR nominations of my own. I would like to say I personally loved the teambuilding I saw, particularly from Demantoid, SMB, and DaAwesomeDude1 (please give team dumps). Bowman also did a fantastic job of stealing teams. Despite large meta shifts every three months, I think I'm starting to see a more positive trend to a more solved metagame as teams tend to become less about hyper offense and more about balanced, defensive teams. Things like Mega Latias and Chansey are starting to find real roles, and people are using less offensive mons as "glue" mons, namely Tsareena, Krookodile, and Zeraora, instead of things like Naganadel and Thundurus. Those and other offensive powerhouses still certainly have their place, but I really like the way the metagame is shaping up. Time for winners and losers!

Winners:

Krookodile: Recently relegated to tier 4, this intimidate user was the second most used Pokemon in the DUU tour. Being a reliable check to new additions like Arcanine and Zeraora, as well as being very good versus the omnipresent Metagross and Naganadel, pushed this Pokemon back into the picture as a real threat.

Mega Latias: This Calm Mind user has seen a surge of usage in SPL DOU, which means its no surprise people have started to build around this monster in DUU as well. Incredible base stats, access to a wide variety of coverage moves coupled with Calm Mind and recovery makes this pokemon an extremely formidable threat. Even in a format where a variety of checks exist, like Mega Scizor and Metagross, this Pokemon thrived, boasting the highest winrate of any Pokemon with above a 10% usage rate by almost ELEVEN percentage points. This is one of those Pokemon that the DUU regulars (including myself) have always seen as "almost viable, but has never seen real success", which it is safe to say that is no longer the case.

Araquanid: Currently a tier 5 Pokemon, but not for long. Being the best Water-type in the format certainly goes a long way. And yeah, you read that correctly. Formidable special bulk and an insane ability with its access to Sticky Web makes this Pokemon a fantastic glue choice and speed control option. With the high amount of Fire-types in the tier, Araquanid is a safe pick on many teams and its high usage and win rate reflected that.

Losers:

Azumarill: It looks like the bunny's reign of terror is officially over. When DUU was first made playable, this Pokemon dominated the format. DUU has spent the better part of 18 months adapting around Azumarill, and new additions kept coming into DUU that were direct counters to it. Going a pathetic 3-9 in just 12 appearances, this Pokemon now faces real competition as a Water-type from Araquanid, and it is so tough to rely on Azumarill as a win condition.

Mega Venusaur: A Pokemon that already faced a lot of competition as a Grass-type and as a Mega, new additions coupled with the explosion of Mega Latias has proven this Pokemon to not be worthy of its current tier 3 position. A very bad 5-13 record showed that while defensive play seems to be on the rise, this Pokemon doesn't have what it takes to make it onto those teams.

Trick Room: Hard Trick Room was almost nonexistent in the DUU tour. With very few reliable setters, poor support Pokemon, and not many solid Trick Room attackers, its a very hard archetype to build and use. I would expect to see some of the Pokemon who thrive or create Trick Room environments to fall in the Viability rankings.

--------------------------------VR NOMS------------------------------------------

Lord Death Man did a fantastic job summarizing the necessary changes to the VR in his post, so I only have a few short nominations to make.

Musharna Tier 3 -> Tier 4: Still a good Pokemon to me, its the shift away from using Hard Trick Room that makes me write this nom. Well, that, and it went winless in all four of its uses in DUU Winter.

Raichu Tier 5 -> UR: Zeraora completely outclasses it, teams that want Lightning Rod are picking Rhyperior, Raichu saw 0 uses in DUU Winter.

Clefable Tier 4 -> 5: Belongs with Clefairy, Unaware isn't good enough now that Azumarill isn't good now (both clefs won their only appearances in the tour, btw)

Breloom Tier 5 -> UR: Went 0-3 in the tour. Sucks. Tsareena is an infinitely better grass type and there aren't things that desperately need to be put to sleep in order to deal with them.

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
since n10sit asked for it, here are most of the teams I used in my run:

(s/o to auraray for the original team, I just changed rotom wash for araquanid and some moves/spreads)

I would also like to nom magnezone to tier 4, pretty solid mon that can trap and kill mega scizor and metagross, which makes it an excellent partner for mega latias and cradily, and can also get some decent matchups vs popular mons like togekiss, thundurus or araquanid

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had a ton of fun playing DUU in this tour, I hadn't really taken a good look at the tier in a while and even though I didn't have any time to build I still had a really good time picking teams and using some mons I really like but can't use in DOU. Shoutout to talkingtree for passing me some teams and to everyone who posted dumps I stole from. Good to know my finals plot armor isn't just contained to DOU :psywoke:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
VR votes time! The recent tournament left the metagame in a new place than where it started, which is reflected in some of these changes.

Krookodile Tier 4 -> Tier 3 or 2:
  • N10sit: Tier 2 is good with me, beats all the fires and gross and electrics
  • Talkingtree: Tier 2’s probably my vote but it’s kind of between 2 and 3 for me
  • Lord death man: my nom (2)
  • Demantoid: 2, takes over the spot for splashable ground-type in duu

Araquanid Tier 5 -> Tier 4 or 3:
  • N10sit: tier 3 baby!!! Literally one of 3 waters in the format and its the best
  • Talkingtree: Tier 3, solid support and damage output
  • Demantoid: I’d say this even deserves 2. Provides speed control that lasts the whole game and has good offensive+defensive presence.

Latias-Mega UR -> Tier ??? (2 is the highest proposed so far)
  • N10sit: yeah tier 2 this thing is bonkers, its the new azu as far as win conditions you have to build to avoid losing to
  • Talkingtree: Tier 2, only thing keeping it back from Tier 1 is metagross existing
  • Demantoid: 2, Latias sogood

Hitmontop Tier 4 -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: im fine with this it went 0-1 in the tour lol
  • Talkingtree: yeah I can’t remember the last time I wanted to use this
  • Demantoid: 5, it has poor match ups against everything :I

Arcanine: Tier 3 -> Tier 4:
  • N10sit: no, proved to be just as good as entei
  • Talkingtree: no, I’d argue it could even potentially move up but keeping it in 3’s cool
  • Lord death man: no, I do personally think of it as slightly worse than entei but not to the degree that it should drop to 4.
  • Demantoid: no, not the biggest fan of it personally but it still offers good team support

Mega Abomasnow Tier 4 -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: yep hard tr sucks and while you can maybe use this thing on not hard tr you’re putting yourself in a hole by doing so
  • mishingtree: Yes, but don’t UR it because it still has value on the right teams
  • Lord death man: yes. It’s easy to build teams with 4 ice weaks and still not feel that weak to abomasnow
  • Demantoid: 5, TR isn’t that great and Aboma makes it harder to use #1 mon Tsareena on the team.

Muk-A Tier 3 -> Tier 4 or 5:
  • N10sit: i want to say 4 because I think this thing has real utility still? Its rly good vs Latias/Goth so thats a huge plus
  • Talkingtree: Tier 4; only really lacking in usage, its matchups are still *fine*
  • Lord death man: my nom was 5.
  • Demantoid: 4, It is okay but has a few bad match ups and really low usage.

Mega Pidgeot UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: Yes!!!! I love this mon flying fire is amazing coverage and its a rly good speed tier except when u lose the naga tie
  • Talkingtree: abstain
  • Lord death man: yeah, i’d love to have seen more teams with it before saying this but it’s good in 5
  • Demantoid: ok

Deoxys-S UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: no lol outclassed by deo-n
  • Talkingtree: no
  • Demantoid: Yes, Deo-S has a niche role as a pretty reliable double hazard setter. It shouldn’t be used as an offensive mon imo

Silvally-Water UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: no i havent seen this be good ever
  • Talkingtree: no
  • Demantoid: mish

Chansey UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: yes, a real threat in duu
  • Talkingtree: I’d argue this should be tier 4 at the least, with a potential for it to move up further in the future
  • Demantoid: Yes, I’d agree with 4 too. One of the reasons why Toxic should be used more.

Silvally UR -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: no sorry yuicchii just dont think the role compression is good enough
  • Talkingtree: this is a perfect example of a mon where I can see why you might pick it and it can have value on the right team… but that happens so rarely and it never outperforms expectations so I’d leave it UR
  • Demantoid: UR, I think there’s usually a mon that outclasses it for whatever coverage you’d want to run

Kyurem Tier 4 -> Tier 3:
  • N10sit: mmmmmm no, its very close tho.
  • Talkingtree: yea, been decently impressed by kyu-n (except for whenever I try to abbreviate it)
  • Lord death man: hrm gonna say no, i do really like this but it did terrible in the tour and its not really on the same level as mons like araquanid, entei, or arcanine
  • Demishtoid: no, I think it has potential but I haven’t seen it used very effectively before

Azumarill Tier 2 -> Tier 3 or 4:
  • N10sit: tier 4 lol, i talked abt bunny in my post, its bad now
  • Talkingtree: Tier 4, Tsareena just makes this such a liability like 90% of the time
  • Lord death man: tier 4, i kept expecting some cool new innovation with it and it never happened
  • Demantoid: mishi’s gf has thicc fat

Entei Tier 3 -> Tier 2:
  • N10sit: yes? Almost? Abstain actually. Its rly close
  • Talkingmish: yea entei’s great
  • Demantoid: Yes, really well rounded stats and physical fire-stab that doesn’t make it kill itself set apart Entei from Arcanine.

Zeraora Tier 3 -> Tier 2:
  • N10sit: yes i said this when we got the mon and yall didnt listen smh
  • Talkingtree: Yep this mon is real good
  • Demantoid: 2, things doing less damage than in dou really helps it support its team for longer

Mega Aero Tier 5 -> Tier 3 or 4:
  • N10sit: tier 4 is fine, tier 3 is too far. Being rly fast is good as it turns out
  • Talkingtree: 4 is good for now
  • Lord death man: my nom (to 3)
  • Demantoid: 4

Moltres UR -> Tier 5:
  • Nmishsit: sure, had an absurd winrate in tour and is unique enough to have a real role
  • Talkingtree: I’d even put this in 4 but I’ll settle for 5
  • Demantoid: 5, Rock-type attacks aren’t very so Moltres actually has pretty good defensive presence against most teams. Offensive sets are also usable, but I like bulky tailwind better.

Mega Venu Tier 3 -> Tier 5 or 4:
  • N10sit: tier 5, meta is rly rly rly bad for it rn
  • Talkingtree: Tier 4, being a grass that also improves your tsar matchup is kinda nice and sleep powder’s still decent
  • Demantoid: 4, Not that great right now but you still need to make sure you can beat it.

Mega Blastoise Tier 4 -> UR or Tier 5:
  • N10sit: tier 5 also, i dont think this thing is quite UR yet, its on the fence tho
  • Talkingtree: This is still tier 4 hello? I use this mon all the time and have always been happy with it
  • Lord death man: UR (my nom)
  • Demantoid: 4, has good bulk and power with wide coverage. Needs speed control to be effective but it’s still fine

Sylveon Tier 4 -> Tier 5:
  • N10sit: yeah lol tier 5 is its home
  • Talkingtree: yep

Hydreigon Tier 3 -> Tier 4 or 5:
  • N10sit: tier 5 is fine, has a small niche but is still viable imo
  • Talkingtree: 4 for now, guess it could fall farther but it’s still good
  • Lord death man: 4, my nom
  • Demantoid: 4, it’s still usable but has less to offer than dragons now that TR is less popular

Musharna Tier 3 -> Tier 4:
  • N10sit: my mom
  • Talkingtree: yeah
  • Lord death man: yeah hardroom sucks

Raichu Tier 5 -> UR:
  • Talkingtree: yes lol
  • Lord death mish: yes, i think it was really good primarily as support for gyarados and without gyarados in the tier i don’t see a real point in using it
  • Demantoid: raichu sobad

Clefable Tier 4 -> Tier 5:
  • Talkingtree: yes

Breloom Tier 5 -> UR:
  • Talkingtree: yes
  • Lord death man: uhhh yeah i guess, i like it and i think it benefits from some trends but it probably shouldn’t have been in 5 in the first place bc it’s been so bad for so long.
  • Demantoid: I tried to build with Breloom (sobad) for the duu tour but replaced it with Tsareena (sogood)

Magnezone UR -> Tier 4 or 5
  • N10sit: i can get behind putting this in 5 based solely on it being a really good latias partner
  • Talkingtree: what n10sit said
  • Lord death man: yes to 5 but tbh i constantly feel like a lot of teams with it might be better off running something else, and i just can’t place what that is.
  • Demantoid: Yes (5), all three abilities are usable based on the team and it’s basically the only viable special steel type here.

Results:
Krookodile: Tier 4 -> Tier 2
Araquanid: Tier 5 -> Tier 3
Latias-Mega: UR -> Tier 2
Hitmontop: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Abomasnow-Mega: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Muk-Alola: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Pidgeot-Mega: UR -> Tier 5
Chansey: UR -> Tier 5
Azumarill: Tier 2 -> Tier 4
Entei: Tier 3 -> Tier 2
Zeraora: Tier 3 -> Tier 2
Aerodactyl-Mega: Tier 5 -> Tier 4
Moltres: UR -> Tier 5
Venusaur-Mega: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Blastoise-Mega: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Sylveon: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Hydreigon: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Musharna: Tier 3 -> Tier 4
Raichu: Tier 5 -> UR
Clefable: Tier 4 -> Tier 5
Breloom: Tier 5 -> UR
Magnezone: UR -> Tier 5

Last edited:
Not related to metagame, but why would someone steal my unregistered account I got to rank 9 and rank it up to its current rank 1 and register it? They obviously have the skill themselves to get there, why wouldnt they just use an account they made themselves? Also, come clean whoever it is I want to see the squad you got to rank one with. Maybe ill just see you on the ladder lol.

Arctic edit: I should really delete this post but I’ll leave it up as a warning to always register your accounts

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)