Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Protect
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 148 HP / 184 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Encore

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle
- Encore
- Volt Switch

Volcanion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Dread Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Tailwind

just throwin stuff on teams as always just tryin to practice building

The team is built around bulky Icy Wind Milotic. Icy Wind is so good with them 100 base speed mega evolutions it provides a good start to a lot of cores, but I had to choose one.

I wanted to start off the team with Mega Gardevoir as my mega through process of elimination. THALK with Milotic sounds too plain to submit unironically, Zard-Y usually not the best with waters that have no secondary STAB, designating Milotic to Icy Wind bot with 0 pressure. Diancie works well with pressuring Landorus, but ultimately does not benefit as much from Icy Wind support due to its higher base Speed.

With Gardevoir as my mega, Hydreigon was put on the team for synergy with Gardevoir and Milotic. Both much more threatening in tailwind, loves steels such as Rachi, Aegislash, etc. broken down. Volcanion was a reflex pick due to its synergies with Hydreigon and Gardevoir, but admittedly does not add too much synergy next to Milotic.

Two of the most common ways Milotic gets handled are Mega Kangaskhan and Thundurus. Landorus is a decent start to have both of them checked by committee, and Raichu deals with the Thundurus t-wave spam part if they have HP Ice.

Still, I really think this covers Kangaskhan quite poorly, especially Kanga / Rachi / Azu cores. Perhaps I could get rid of Stone Edge on Volcanion with Hydreig / Lando to cover Charizard, and instead opt for Sub for superior Jirachi matchup, but then I would lose my Safety Goggles user. Kind of also want to get rid of Raichu but not sure what else to use. Maybe I could use Rhyperior instead as a better switch-in to Kanga, but its low speed means many Kanga partners will have a way with Rhyperior. Fake Out pressure also generally is one of my better ways to deal with Kanga in this iteration, so if I want to take it out I'd have to make sure it's an even better Kang check as well as a Thund check. Maybe Terrakion doesn't sound too bad.

Think I have a decent 2-3 mon core to work off of but I'm not quite sure how to proceed further. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
I think you really need a steel type on this team. It's got huge issues with opposing Garde, since milotic doesn't really touch it and hydreigon is garde stomp. For example, what realistically stops garde+scrafty? Or even somethingi like cm garde gets multiple chances to setup on milotic/hydreigon/garde. Idk just my thoughts

Also you're running Raichu but I don't really think you need it: Raichu's more for momentum-reliant teams that heavily appreciate fake out that are weak to thund, which isn't the impression I get from your team. Sure you have 2 waters but you also have like 3 other mons that deal with Thund fine.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Substitute

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Hitmontop @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide

CharX is just asking for LandoT to come switch in. But he wont because hes afraid of Milotic
This whole team is to provide support for CharX so he can set up Dragon Dance and sweep.
Milotic keep landos away
Jirachi for follow me and icy wind support and a faerie check
thundy with speed control and to hit diancie and volcanion
gengar as second ground immune with taunt to make it my best TR check
hitmontop as my best kang check and an additional heatran check. fake out support so CharX can get a free turn

i ran sub shuca ever since i've been into doubles and was getting flames for it. finally people are ackowledging it. the reasoning is mostly floris's post

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
[03:49] Test Bot #100: memoric is late again

It's a running joke at this point ;0

Anyways, with a huge lead, n1n1 takes this week. Congrats!

This week, we're building around Azumarill! We all know why this thing is so good lol, with BD it can just end games on its own. Without a boost, it's a bit underwhelming though; something to keep in mind!

Deadline of building on Saturday GMT noon!

Probably the most fun team i've built in a long time, built with Leru . The idea is just to overpower the other team with multiple options for set up sweeping. Scrafty, Jirachi and Mega Gengar all provide free turns to Volcarona and Azumarill and those can plow through eachothers checks paving the way for the other to sweep late game. This also features Psych Up Latios which can remove its drops from Draco Meteor or steal the boosts from Volcarona which was much easier than I anticipated. If you a real one you run mixed latios and steal Azu's BD boosts and win that way but thats a bit extreme for the standard version of the team.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 160 HP / 16 Def / 148 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Trick Room

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Psych Up
- Protect

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard

(Images are in order to look aesthetically pleasing.)

AzuRachi is so mainstream, so I decided to build around Bunny + Shroom. They're quite a nice Double threat to Trick Room teams, too.

And although I can get away with this core due to the lack of Safety Goggles Electric types, Talonflame, Charizard-Y, & Grass types are still major issues. As in result, I decided to use Infernape; it's access to Fake Out & Quick Guard is really handy, allowing Amoonguss to Spore mons (ex. Talonflame, Charizard-Y, Thundurus, etc.) that it usually shouldn't be able to. Infernape is also a threat to lower tier Taunt users (ex. Terrakion, Whimsicott, etc.) and other Fake Out users (Ex. Kang, Weavile, etc.), making Infernape a gem to the team.

Next up, I put Mega Gardevoir because a nice Offensive and Defensive pressure allows room for additional pressure. Psychic, while it tends not to be a great STAB move, it is a gem in this team due to its capability to get rid of Grass types (Breloom, Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, etc.) and Fighting types / Guard users (Hitmontop, Infernape, etc.). And out of the many utility moves that Mega Gardevoir can have, I chose to use Trick Room so that I maintain a Hyper Offensive pressence. After all, Trick Room helps out Amoonguss and Azuramill, thus creating a nightmare situation for opponents. (Infernape helps with hiding the fact that Mega Gardevoir has Trick Room.)

For fillers, I used AV Landorus due to the lack of bulk (imo) in this team and Zapdos for Tailwind. Gard + Lando in TW is also gem, but most importantly, it helps Azu use Knock Off on mons with mid-range speed, especially Volcanion, although it can accomplish this in Trick Room, too. Sorry for long summary~

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect
- Aqua Jet

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 132 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 144 HP / 132 Atk / 24 Def / 24 SpD / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Tailwind

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Azuwile - A horror story

So I wanted to build around CB azu for the sake of doing something different (while also being decent) so I decided to put together a full room team. This can struggle vs the garde semi room archetype as well as vs Zard, but play correctly (kill the garde and kill the Zard quickly) and you'll be fine.

Here's a neat calc:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 290-344 (97.6 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

So I have CB azumarill with what is probably the standard for that set but I have aqua jet where some people would have superpower. I think the strong priority is too good and I'm adding scrafty and double intimidate for kang, so I should be okay.

Next up is scrafty, which I add for the intimidate and fake out support which will help me get up trick room. I go with assault vest and stone edge to help ease the matchup vs Zard.

Amoonguss is already a huge threat, so I add talonflame. As you can see, I have a little bit of bulk. This way, I underspeed opposing talonflames so I can brave bird first in trick room, while also out speeding kangaskhan so I can quick guard it outside of trick room.

My first setter is porygon2. The duck is incredibly bulky and will almost always get up TR if taunt or spore doesn't get in its way. This is the standard set.

I add Hoopa unbound as my offensive setter. This thing hits like a truck and helps me beat ghost types and can hit amoonguss for huge damage. I use goggles for the ability to always beat amoonguss.

Finally I add mega mawile. The team is fairy weak as it is so I needed a good steel. I almost picked Aggron but I decided I'd put a mostly viable team into the comp, lol. This is the standard maw set with sucker punch.

The way to win with this team is to get up trick room and overpower your opponent using the great offensive tools of Hoopa, azumarill, talonflame, and mawile, with the support of scrafty and p2.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Brave Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 24 SpA / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 44 Def / 208 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RAIN BUNNIES

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 68 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Skill Swap
- Transform

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 24 SpA / 52 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Perish Song
- Helping Hand

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 108 HP / 232 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 12 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
So here's a sick team that GreenGogoatttt and I put together, and which I got reqs with for the Azumarill Suspect Test. Basically, the aim of the team is to set up for a single / double Azumarill sweep with double Fake Out + single Follow Me support, as well as Mew's Transform shenanigans. It's basically an edited bunnies so how it operates is probably fairly standard, except for a few interesting bits which I'll point out here:
  • The EV spread on Mew: outruns Jolly Base 90s (Kangaskhan pre-mega), maxed HP for Transform, survives an LO Dark Pulse from Modest Hydreigon
  • Skill Swap on Mew: if you're not Transformed, Skill Swapping Water Absorb from opposing Volcanion / Huge Power from opposing Azumarill / Parental Bond from opposing Mega Kangaskhan / Intimidate from opposing Intimidate Pokemon / etc is sometimes a good idea. Also lets this team beat Perish Trap. Other options in this slot include Tailwind, Ally Switch, or Taunt (the latter I suppose could solidify this teams' matchup against other bunny teams).
  • The EV spread on Azumarill: outruns most Aegislash (notably, speed creeps over Aegislash built to outrun Thundurus under Tailwind). Still gets most of the OHKOs it normally gets (notably OHKOs 244/108 bulky Thundurus without Rain / SR). Notable calcs with Rain / SR later.
  • Stealth Rock on Jirachi: helps break down Talonflame and Charizard, both of which are rather annoying to face for Azumarill teams. Also breaks Focus Sashes to help with Azumarill sweeps, as well as put most stuff at 88% so Azumarill's Aqua Jet has a higher chance of OHKOing even without Rain. Notably:
    • +6 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 310-366 (88 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Politoed in general:
    • EV spread survives Adamant DEdge from Kang. Can't remember the other EV specifics but I know it gets the OHKO on Landorus-T with a Rain Scald after SR, and 8 Speed is just for speed creeping.
    • Helps to beat Charizard in general, which is otherwise a big issue for a team built almost exclusively around Azumarill.
    • Eject Button allows it to come in on a spread move and pivot right back out for Fake Out / Follow Me. Generally useful to get a Fake Out / Follow Me user in with a lower chance of taking big damage too, since Politoed takes the first hit.
    • Can be used to clean up games with Perish Song even after your main source of offense (Azumarill) is gone (better results if only two opposing Pokemon left on the field).
    • Icy Wind can knock Volcanions / other irritating things below Azumarill's speed, allowing it to get a Knock Off off more safely. Just don't Icy Wind + Perish Song if you're locked in too >____>. Other options include Ice Beam.
    • Rain lets Azumarill get a whole bunch of OHKOs / 2HKOs it would otherwise have to roll or just flat out not get.
      • +6 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Jirachi in Rain: 424-501 (104.9 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
      • +6 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield in Rain: 328-387 (101.2 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
      • +6 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios in Rain: 280-330 (93 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (56.3% chance to OHKO without SR)
      • +5 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 240 HP / 44+ Def Scrafty in Rain: 316-373 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (75% chance to OHKO without SR)
      • +6 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon in Rain: 255-300 (78.2 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (scraping the barrel here)
      • +5 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence in Rain: 245-288 (74 - 87%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
      • +6 232+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B in Rain: 233-274 (52 - 61.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (100% to OHKO if either SR is up or KyuB does not carry Leftovers)
edit: I didn't mean to write that much, sorry

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)