Tournament Doubles Premier League 9 - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

pour one out for the snubs. better luck next year ♥
PLAYER RECORDS SHEET | PUBLIC SCHEDULE SHEET

Tohjo Tramplers (4) vs (4) Browbeat Lands
SV: tyo vs eragon11145
SV: Spurrific vs MADARAAAA
SV: papiloco vs miltankmilk
DUU: bage1 vs RelicanthPrimal
SS: luisin vs Meminger21
SM: MajorBowman vs Ann
XY: Yuichi vs KyleCole
BW: Memoric vs Tenzai

Snowpoint City Cold Crew (4) vs (4) Rustboro Baptist Church

SV: Fangame10 vs ratpacker
SV: Feyy vs duckpond
SV: Chris32156 vs Nido-Rus
DUU: AIRedzone vs big pichu
SS: Ninja vs Lemurro
SM: SMB vs kaori
XY: Akaru Kokuyo vs Yellow Paint
BW: Amaranth vs DaAwesomeDude1

Paldea Cratermakers (2) vs (6) Slateport City Sp_ndas
SV: Arcticblast vs Xrn
SV: jonas vs GasaiYunoSan
SV: smudgerox vs umbry
DUU: xqiht vs Hys
SS: Animus vs Star
SM: Tman vs Nails
XY: zee vs Mako
BW: tennisace vs Lunar.

Spikemuth Spectral Thieves (4) vs (4) Santalune Storms
SV: robjr vs Enzonana.
SV: JRL vs YoBuddy
SV: zoe vs Paraplegic
DUU: EternalSnowman vs Actuarily
SS: Mishimono vs Shadowmonstr7
SM: Grandmas Cookin vs GenOne
XY: Croven vs raf
BW: emma vs DaWoblefet

The deadline for this round is Monday, March 13 02:00 GMT+1
Activity losses will be punished by marks of shame!​

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
predictions

Tohjo Tramplers (6) vs (2) Browbeat Lands
SV: tyo vs eragon11145
SV: Spurrific vs MADARAAAA
SV: papiloco vs miltankmilk
DUU: bage1 vs RelicanthPrimal
SS: luisin vs Meminger21
SM: MajorBowman vs Ann
XY: Yuichi vs KyleCole

Paldea Cratermakers (4) vs (4) Slateport City Sp_ndas
SV: Arcticblast vs Xrn
SV: jonas vs GasaiYunoSan
SV: smudgerox vs umbry
DUU: xqiht vs Hys
SS: Animus vs Star
SM: Tman vs Nails
XY: zee vs Mako
BW: tennisace vs Lunar.

Spikemuth Spectral Thieves (5)
vs (3) Santalune Storms
SV: robjr vs Enzonana.
SV: JRL vs YoBuddy
SV: zoe vs Paraplegic
DUU: EternalSnowman vs Actuarily
SS: Mishimono vs Shadowmonstr7
XY: Croven vs raf
BW: emma vs DaWoblefet

hf all

doing some select predicts for the oldgens (hopefully each week if I dont get lazy)

I'm wimping out and calling this one dead even. I think Memoric easily has this on paper but Tenzai had an insanely strong and unforseen XY run in ORASPL and something just tells me he has the potential to pick up an upset here. I think Tenzai will need to prep hard to catch up to Memoric's raw skill in this tier, as I would be remiss if I didn't mention he won a BW cup DOUBLES CLASSIC a while ago, but if he puts in the work I don't doubt that he can exploit Memoric's teambuilder choices. At the end of the day though every BW game is 50/50, because you both have 75/25 odds to hit through Thunder Wave and that's exactly how statistics work.

SS: Ninja vs Lemurro

Pretty happy to see Ninja join us back for DPL after OSDT and SCL and of course this SS pool is right where he belongs. Lemurro if I'm remembering correctly was another OSDT top cut finisher, but no other games come to mind and I don't think they got super far. Ninja's just got way more experience playing at the high level and teammates to support his builder should he need it.

XY: Akaru Kokuyo vs Yellow Paint

Two longstanding community members but I have to give this one to Akaru, just on the basis of having seen them both play XY I think he's got the upper hand. Paint has been known to roll up with some pretty funky teams in all tiers but XY has some pretty strict rules in the builder that you'd have to luck out on a good matchup to avoid following.

Gma seems to never really pull together stellar records in team tours but is one of the people I respect for their well of knowledge in oldgens (literally me fr fr) and something just tells me this is gonna be the tour where he breaks the curse. Also gotta get in one jerk predict or else they'll give me a buncha worrywhirls. GenOne won't be an easy opponent to start this off with as I trust MonoFire will be saved for later in the tournament, but still gonna give this one to Matt as long as he doesn't load Mawile.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Oldgens Predictions.

Cold Crew vs Church

SM: SMB vs kaori - Both were top players during the SM era, so we can be sure that both players have the level of competence to make this an interesting SM game. For this game, I have to give a significant edge to SMB; SMB has been active in the oldgens scene throughout the years, while there was a significant period of time where kaori was not only inactive in SM but also in competitive Pokemon in general. To put it bluntly, there is a possibility that kaori might be washed, but if they put in the reps and the adequate prep, this should be a good game.

XY: Akaru Kokuyo vs Yellow Paint - Akaru Kokuyo is the winner of the last DOU Classic and went 5-2 in the recent ORASPL, while Yellow Paint hasn't really made much of a splash in XY any time recently, not even participating in last year's XY Cup. They were both active while XY was CG, if I recall correctly, so they both should be mechanically competent. However, I'm giving Akaru simply because they havee actually played the tier, while Yellow Paint hasn't at all—and considering how XY is a format with some really particular teambuilding rules, being familiar with the metagame trends is a necessary edge. There also isn't even anyone in the Church that could provide meaningful support for modern XY, except maybe Nido-Rus. Unless Yellow Paint learns XY fast, or unless the Church can source a based modern XY team, I don't see this going well for them.

BW: Amaranth vs DaAwesomeDude1 - This is a bit of a similar story to the above, in the sense that Amaranth has actually played BW as of late (BW Cup Winner), while it doesn't seem as if Dad1 has played much of Pokemon at all. BW is a lot more forgiving, however, and judging from their own claims regarding their BW experience, Amaranth is also less of a daunting individual match-up. There is a difference in experience, which is why I'm giving the advantage to Amaranth here; however, that seems to be the only place where Amaranth's edge lies, as they haven't proved to be a teambuilder threat at all and thus this can really be anyone's game in the builder—perhaps SMB may help Amaranth with this? There is also the fact that this is still BW, which is definitely the most fickle out of all the oldgens. Should be interesting!

Cratermakers vs Sp_ndas

SM: Tman vs Nails - A highlight match for sure, as it's between two top-tier players. T "undrafted for DWC" man will be interesting to watch as this will be their first game within the community for what has been quite a long time. Nails, on the other hand, should be no stranger to anyone, particularly the zoomers, as they are a consistent, strong performer in OTTs. Judging this just by recent DOU experience, I'd have to give this to Nails. However, as Nails wrote in their sign-up post, perhaps their commitment to DPL may not be quite at a 100%; that's not necessarily a bad thing for the Sp_ndas, in the sense that an 80% Nails is still better than most of the DOU community, but I believe that Tman is in an interesting position as they should be just be around the same tier of skill as Nails while also likely trying a bit harder. This one should be close, and I'd love to watch this live but the likelihood of this game being tagged for @ Matches in DOUcord seems to be near zero.

XY: zee vs Mako - Mako used to be pretty fire in XY, solid and consistent, but that was a really long time ago. zee, meanwhile, is pretty fire now, but the that same fire does occasionally lead to them cooking too much. Should be a fun, even game to watch. I'm giving the edge to Mako here; while zee has the advantage in experience and understanding of what modern XY requires as well as in just not being washed, Mako does still have support from umbry and Z Strats, both renowned players that should be tangentially aware of the format's comings and goings. I do believe that this would be a bit of an upset, but the gap between the two shouldn't be that big, given Mako has adequate preparation.

BW: tennisace vs Lunar. - Both are crusty as fuck! However, if we are to compare the DOU resumes of these two players, it's a night and day difference as Lunar. actually has DOU achievements to speak of, even being a recent SCL draftee. tennisace, meanwhile, has never really had any standout DOU performances. Lunar. has the advantage of simply having higher peaks as a player and actually having recent activity in the DOU scene. Comparing the two's supports, zee alone is not enough of a difference maker, as even they still don't have that much BW experience and they alone would have to match the cache of umbry and Z Strats. Really, the one thing that can hold back Lunar. here is the voices in their head telling them to bring mono-Dragon; the Cratermakers have to hope they can adequately gaslight Lunar. into doing so before the game.

Spectral Thieves vs Storms

SM: Grandmas Cookin vs GenOne - This is a really weird game to try to make a prediction for. On one side, Cookin, Grandmas; 0-4 last DPL and went out R1 in SM Cup, with their one saving grace being a 3-0 SMPL run. On the other, One, Gen; possibly washed and hasn't played SM at a competitive level in what seems like a million years, their one team tour performance in the past year being a 1-2 attempt in DWC. Now, I ain't saying all these just to be a total dick; both are respected players within the community, with SM experience to their name, but as it stands there really isn't anything to write home about them. Narrative-wise, this is an interesting game as a win here will likely jumpstart the season of either player. I am only favoring Gma here purely for having more recent achievements, particularly as an SCL participant, but this is a game that both players will really want to win. Must watch!

XY: Croven vs raf - While not necessarily known for their ability to play modern XY, Croven is still a player with a significantly higher pedigree than raf, a player that is also not necessarily known for their ability to modern XY. Both have respectable supports for XY as well in Gma and Actuarily, respectively. There really isn't much to write about this: both are unknowns in this format, but Croven's peak as a player is well-regarded.

Taking the time here to recognize that it's interesting how Gma and Croven are flipped, as one would normally expect them to play the format of the other. Supposedly this is because Gma has a VGC event to attend, and since XY is a so-called builder's format, being slotted there when you don't have the time to prep would be unideal. However, as an XY player myself, I contend that a lack of prep time is not that of a big deal, and it's still fine to recycle and repurpose XY ideas. Taking Croven out of what seems to be their stronger tier is an interesting decision, and we will see how this will unravel soon.

BW: emma vs DaWoblefet - xD? DaWoblefet is supposedly the best BW player of the pool, behind Memoric, while emma is known more as a support than as an individual player. Don't get me wrong: emma can definitely play (I almost lost to them before!), but this is quite a difficult matchup, especially on the first week where data is relatively scarce. emma will have to prep out of their mind if they want to get this one, but it will still be quite the wall to surmount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)