Gen 7 Doubles OU: The Ultimate Scizdown (peaked #3 on ladder)

This team, featuring Scizor-Mega, has been my main ladder team for about six months, and I consider it to be the best team I have built to date. At one point in that time, I was able to achieve a rank of 9th on the Showdown ladder using this team. I was recently asked to post the team here, and I am happy to oblige.

The Team

:diancie:
Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 52 Def / 96 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
I was first inspired to build this team after using Weakness Policy Diancie in SS DOU. With its bulk, Clear Body, Trick Room, and the fantastic spread move Diamond Storm, Diancie functions as a phenomenal late-game sweeper. If its teammates can create an opening for Diancie to come in and set up Trick Room, it can clean up a weakened team with ease. I chose to run Stealth Rock in Diancie's last slot over Protect so it may have some passive utility if it is forced out in the mid game, and can limit Charizard-Y's switch-ins.

:scizor-mega:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 36 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect
The core of Scizor-Mega and Diancie is where this team concept really got started. Scizor-Mega is an incredibly powerful priority attacker. It also switches in quite easily due to resisting Fairy, Psychic, and Steel, and having a singular weakness to Fire. Due to primarily attacking with its priority Bullet Punch, Scizor is able to function equally well both inside and outside of Trick Room, which made it a clear pick for this team. I have experimented with Roost, but I find these four moves provide great synergy. Swords Dance has the primary purpose of preventing Scizor from being worn down by Intimidates, primarily from Landorus-Therian, while Protect allows Scizor to stay on the field for an extra turn against threats such as Charizard-Mega, while its teammate wears them down. Bug Bite gives Scizor a neutral hit against Metagross, while allowing it to serve its purpose as a check to Psyspam teams. It also allows berries to be stolen from targets Incineroar wouldn't dream of using Knock Off on - namely Tapu Fini. In rare cases, I have even won games off of using Bug Bite on my own teammates in order to keep Scizor alive and threatening. Scizor enjoys Diancie as a partner, particularly for its utility in defeating the ever-present Charizard-Y.

:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 140 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn
"Always slap an Incineroar on there if you don't have a good reason not to."
- Veecy

I don't need to go into detail about what makes Incineroar so great. I will say, though, that it acts as a fantastic partner to Diancie, who appreciates Fake Out support to get up its Trick Room (this is especially true of non-Protect Diancie). I chose to run 16 speed EVs on this Incineroar in order to creep past the standard 12 speed variant. This allows Incineroar to win Fake Out wars against opposing Incineroar, and also act later with U-turn in Trick Room. Mago Berry is run here in order to maximize the potential of confusing an opposing Bug Bite user (Araquanid usually runs -Spe). It is rare but theoretically possible for this to matter.

:zygarde:
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Thousand Waves
Zygarde is a fantastic mon which serves many purposes. Originally chosen for its strong priority, it also serves as a phenomenal spread attacker outside of Trick Room, primarily using Thousand Arrows, a ground-type spread move which does not hit Zygarde's teammate and also grounds opposing Flying-types and Levitate users. Choice Band is chosen to make Zygarde more immediately threatening, and this is particularly useful as Scizor and Diancie are both, to varying degrees, reliant on setup to become a significant offensive threat. Thousand Waves deals big damage and traps both opponents, and though it is rarely selected in favor of Thousand Arrows, it can be helpful in allowing Zygarde's teammates to set up. Superpower is chosen primarily to hit hard into Ferrothorn.

:kyurem-black:
Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 48 Def / 32 SpA / 80 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
Kyurem-Black is an incredibly versatile mon. It is a very good check to Landorus-Therian, who is otherwise quite a nuisance to this team. Though it is slow and boasts mediocre move options, Assault Vest allows it to stay alive for long enough to put serious offensive pressure on the opposing team. Icy Wind is a very nice option for speed control outside of Trick Room, which this team quite appreciates. It also hits Landorus hard and ignores redirection. Kyurem-Black is a strong check to rain teams, which all of the previous four Pokémon appreciate, as well as the ever-annoying Milotic.

:tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 132 SpA / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind
Tapu Fini is one of the most slappable mons in Gen 7 DOU. This team appreciates Misty Terrain, as it lacks any Spore immunities, has many priority users who fear Psychic Terrain, and features two Dragon-types. Fini also helps Kyurem-Black in the quest to keep opposing Rain teams at bay, and Calm Mind allows Tapu Fini to become stronger and more bulky the more free turns it is able to secure. Tapu Fini and Scizor also share incredible synergy with one another. Misty Terrain allows Scizor to Bug Bite opposing Wiki Berry holders without fear of becoming confused. Tapu Fini boasts a fire resistance and strong defenses, while Scizor provides a 4x resistance to Grass and an immunity to Poison. The choice between Scald and Muddy Water is very difficult, with the former providing consistent single-target damage, and the latter providing a useful secondary effect which is not counteracted by Misty Terrain. After much testing of both, I selected Scald for this set.

Problematic Matchups

:camerupt-mega::tapu-bulu:
I find this team sometimes struggles against fullroom teams, particularly when Camerupt and Tapu Bulu are both on the field together. Kyurem is a good answer to either individually, but can get worn down when facing both. Escaping these situations is very difficult to achieve without at least sacrificing a mon.

:kartana:
Kartana can be very intimidating, as its Sacred Sword means that even Incineroar doesn't love switching in on it for fear of being predicted. Kartana is also often a late-game mon, and one who matches up well into this team's dedicated late-game sweeper, Diancie. Scizor is this team's most reliable answer to Kartana, though it will take serious damage in the process of removing it. Keeping Incineroar alive until the late game is a viable strategy, though it requires not utilizing it as heavily in the early and middle stages, as then it can Fake Out Kartana while Diancie uses Trick Room, then underspeed and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

:swampert-mega:
Part of this team's struggle against Camerupt arises from the lack of a ground immunity, which can also cause problems against Swampert. This matchup can be approached successfuly in a number of ways. Using Incineroar and Diancie for consistent turn 1 Trick Rooms is generally an effective but risky play against opposing Rain teams. If Swampert is expected to come out later (namely on Rain teams with Ludicolo or Incineroar), leading with Kyurem-Black to threaten Pelipper is advisable, then Incineroar can switch in when Swampert enters the field in order to debuff its attack stat, thereby improving Kyurem's matchup into it. Kyurem and Fini together can also do well in this situation, unless Swampert is accompanied by an offensive grass type who threatens out Tapu Fini.

Strengths and Conclusion

The team is incredibly versatile, and though it struggles somewhat in certain matchups, it rewards smart play in any matchup. The number of win conditions this team can set up for is vast. It may not have the highest highs, but it offers the most game-to-game consistency of any team I have used. I look forward to seeing what ideas you all might have for this team!

https://pokepast.es/f16b114520689cfd

Hey, fellow doubles ladderer here. This team is always a scary one for me to face on the high ladder, it's very well built. Excellent write up as well. Personally, as a rain main, I find kyube to be a decent rain/swampert check with the assault vest because its typing is awkward to fight against. I also agree that the full room matchup is very difficult, especially against camel and bulu. Smart pivoting (which you are well capable of) as well as fake out and protect should help you out though.
For Kartana, your game plan seems good, and I've always loved "emergency" trick room on semi fast teams to flip the tables on super offensive teams
The only suggestion I could feasibly make is maybe slotting some different moves on Fini? Perhaps taunt to help against trick room and setup or muddy water to have a spread move when attacking with calm mind boosts. Either way, the team is quite well fleshed out and any notable changes would have to be minor.
Hope to not run into this team on the ladder!

In the last week or so since I've been laddering with this team again, I have updated Incineroar's EV spread.

Incineroar @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 124 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

After observing the beginnings of speed creep with Incineroar on Trick Room teams, I thought it would be wise to redefine Incineroar's EV spread. The spread recommended by Smogon's strategy dex, 144+ SpD / 12 Spe, aims to move before uninvested Celesteela, putting the remaining EVs into special defense. I determined that, in order to evade the speed creep wars, I would give Incineroar a specific SpD benchmark, and put the remainder into speed. The benchmark I ended up chosing was to never be 2HKO'd by standard Gastrodon's Earth Power, at a special defense investment of 124+. This leaves 32 EVs remaining for speed.

Diancie greatly appreciates a faster Incineroar being able to land Fake Out on opposing Incineroar before they can Fake Out Diancie, and therefore being able to set up Trick Room more consistently. A faster Incineroar will also pivot later within Trick Room, meaning it can take more hits to let its teammates in. It is still reasonably slow enough, though, that it functions as a slow pivot outside of Trick Room. This spread will be the default I use for any teams making use of Trick Room in the future, though I will likely stick to 144+ SpD / 12 Spe for non-Trick Room teams.

Inspired by Ryan's Psyshroom Rain team, I have also locked the gender of Incineroar and Scizor, as I think it gives the team more personality.

https://pokepast.es/b49d2f09fb35a820

In the last week or so since I've been laddering with this team again, I have updated Incineroar's EV spread.

Incineroar @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 124 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn

After observing the beginnings of speed creep with Incineroar on Trick Room teams, I thought it would be wise to redefine Incineroar's EV spread. The spread recommended by Smogon's strategy dex, 144+ SpD / 12 Spe, aims to move before uninvested Celesteela, putting the remaining EVs into special defense. I determined that, in order to evade the speed creep wars, I would give Incineroar a specific SpD benchmark, and put the remainder into speed. The benchmark I ended up chosing was to never be 2HKO'd by standard Gastrodon's Earth Power, at a special defense investment of 124+. This leaves 32 EVs remaining for speed.

Diancie greatly appreciates a faster Incineroar being able to land Fake Out on opposing Incineroar before they can Fake Out Diancie, and therefore being able to set up Trick Room more consistently. A faster Incineroar will also pivot later within Trick Room, meaning it can take more hits to let its teammates in. It is still reasonably slow enough, though, that it functions as a slow pivot outside of Trick Room. This spread will be the default I use for any teams making use of Trick Room in the future, though I will likely stick to 144+ SpD / 12 Spe for non-Trick Room teams.

Inspired by Ryan's Psyshroom Rain team, I have also locked the gender of Incineroar and Scizor, as I think it gives the team more personality.

https://pokepast.es/b49d2f09fb35a820
God, the speed creep is here. Arceus save us. What's next, 252 speed jolly scarf fake out?

This team, featuring Scizor-Mega, has been my main ladder team for about six months, and I consider it to be the best team I have built to date. At one point in that time, I was able to achieve a rank of 9th on the Showdown ladder using this team. I was recently asked to post the team here, and I am happy to oblige.

The Team

:diancie:
Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 52 Def / 96 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
I was first inspired to build this team after using Weakness Policy Diancie in SS DOU. With its bulk, Clear Body, Trick Room, and the fantastic spread move Diamond Storm, Diancie functions as a phenomenal late-game sweeper. If its teammates can create an opening for Diancie to come in and set up Trick Room, it can clean up a weakened team with ease. I chose to run Stealth Rock in Diancie's last slot over Protect so it may have some passive utility if it is forced out in the mid game, and can limit Charizard-Y's switch-ins.

:scizor-mega:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 36 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect
The core of Scizor-Mega and Diancie is where this team concept really got started. Scizor-Mega is an incredibly powerful priority attacker. It also switches in quite easily due to resisting Fairy, Psychic, and Steel, and having a singular weakness to Fire. Due to primarily attacking with its priority Bullet Punch, Scizor is able to function equally well both inside and outside of Trick Room, which made it a clear pick for this team. I have experimented with Roost, but I find these four moves provide great synergy. Swords Dance has the primary purpose of preventing Scizor from being worn down by Intimidates, primarily from Landorus-Therian, while Protect allows Scizor to stay on the field for an extra turn against threats such as Charizard-Mega, while its teammate wears them down. Bug Bite gives Scizor a neutral hit against Metagross, while allowing it to serve its purpose as a check to Psyspam teams. It also allows berries to be stolen from targets Incineroar wouldn't dream of using Knock Off on - namely Tapu Fini. In rare cases, I have even won games off of using Bug Bite on my own teammates in order to keep Scizor alive and threatening. Scizor enjoys Diancie as a partner, particularly for its utility in defeating the ever-present Charizard-Y.

:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 140 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn
"Always slap an Incineroar on there if you don't have a good reason not to."
- Veecy

I don't need to go into detail about what makes Incineroar so great. I will say, though, that it acts as a fantastic partner to Diancie, who appreciates Fake Out support to get up its Trick Room (this is especially true of non-Protect Diancie). I chose to run 16 speed EVs on this Incineroar in order to creep past the standard 12 speed variant. This allows Incineroar to win Fake Out wars against opposing Incineroar, and also act later with U-turn in Trick Room. Mago Berry is run here in order to maximize the potential of confusing an opposing Bug Bite user (Araquanid usually runs -Spe). It is rare but theoretically possible for this to matter.

:zygarde:
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Thousand Waves
Zygarde is a fantastic mon which serves many purposes. Originally chosen for its strong priority, it also serves as a phenomenal spread attacker outside of Trick Room, primarily using Thousand Arrows, a ground-type spread move which does not hit Zygarde's teammate and also grounds opposing Flying-types and Levitate users. Choice Band is chosen to make Zygarde more immediately threatening, and this is particularly useful as Scizor and Diancie are both, to varying degrees, reliant on setup to become a significant offensive threat. Thousand Waves deals big damage and traps both opponents, and though it is rarely selected in favor of Thousand Arrows, it can be helpful in allowing Zygarde's teammates to set up. Superpower is chosen primarily to hit hard into Ferrothorn.

:kyurem-black:
Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 48 Def / 32 SpA / 80 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
Kyurem-Black is an incredibly versatile mon. It is a very good check to Landorus-Therian, who is otherwise quite a nuisance to this team. Though it is slow and boasts mediocre move options, Assault Vest allows it to stay alive for long enough to put serious offensive pressure on the opposing team. Icy Wind is a very nice option for speed control outside of Trick Room, which this team quite appreciates. It also hits Landorus hard and ignores redirection. Kyurem-Black is a strong check to rain teams, which all of the previous four Pokémon appreciate, as well as the ever-annoying Milotic.

:tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 132 SpA / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind
Tapu Fini is one of the most slappable mons in Gen 7 DOU. This team appreciates Misty Terrain, as it lacks any Spore immunities, has many priority users who fear Psychic Terrain, and features two Dragon-types. Fini also helps Kyurem-Black in the quest to keep opposing Rain teams at bay, and Calm Mind allows Tapu Fini to become stronger and more bulky the more free turns it is able to secure. Tapu Fini and Scizor also share incredible synergy with one another. Misty Terrain allows Scizor to Bug Bite opposing Wiki Berry holders without fear of becoming confused. Tapu Fini boasts a fire resistance and strong defenses, while Scizor provides a 4x resistance to Grass and an immunity to Poison. The choice between Scald and Muddy Water is very difficult, with the former providing consistent single-target damage, and the latter providing a useful secondary effect which is not counteracted by Misty Terrain. After much testing of both, I selected Scald for this set.

Problematic Matchups

:camerupt-mega::tapu-bulu:
I find this team sometimes struggles against fullroom teams, particularly when Camerupt and Tapu Bulu are both on the field together. Kyurem is a good answer to either individually, but can get worn down when facing both. Escaping these situations is very difficult to achieve without at least sacrificing a mon.

:kartana:
Kartana can be very intimidating, as its Sacred Sword means that even Incineroar doesn't love switching in on it for fear of being predicted. Kartana is also often a late-game mon, and one who matches up well into this team's dedicated late-game sweeper, Diancie. Scizor is this team's most reliable answer to Kartana, though it will take serious damage in the process of removing it. Keeping Incineroar alive until the late game is a viable strategy, though it requires not utilizing it as heavily in the early and middle stages, as then it can Fake Out Kartana while Diancie uses Trick Room, then underspeed and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

:swampert-mega:
Part of this team's struggle against Camerupt arises from the lack of a ground immunity, which can also cause problems against Swampert. This matchup can be approached successfuly in a number of ways. Using Incineroar and Diancie for consistent turn 1 Trick Rooms is generally an effective but risky play against opposing Rain teams. If Swampert is expected to come out later (namely on Rain teams with Ludicolo or Incineroar), leading with Kyurem-Black to threaten Pelipper is advisable, then Incineroar can switch in when Swampert enters the field in order to debuff its attack stat, thereby improving Kyurem's matchup into it. Kyurem and Fini together can also do well in this situation, unless Swampert is accompanied by an offensive grass type who threatens out Tapu Fini.

Strengths and Conclusion

The team is incredibly versatile, and though it struggles somewhat in certain matchups, it rewards smart play in any matchup. The number of win conditions this team can set up for is vast. It may not have the highest highs, but it offers the most game-to-game consistency of any team I have used. I look forward to seeing what ideas you all might have for this team!

https://pokepast.es/f16b114520689cfd
Looks fun, but strong fires look like an annoying mu overall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)