Doubles Ladder Challenges v2

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Taking this over from Audiosurfer because he is lazy.
jk, good job at running the original thread, and thanks for making such a copy pasteable OP :]
Approved by Joim

Obligatory awesome Bummer logo :]

Welcome to the Doubles Ladder Challenges! Here, you get to show off your skills by competing towards the top of the ladder, but here is the catch; every Ladder Challenge will put a limit to the team options you are allowed to use to make it more challenging for you to reach the top!

Here is how it works:

Every two weeks, there will be a new challenge posted on this thread by me. In order to participate, you must create a team that meets the specifications of that challenge (Ex: If the theme was Monotype, you would make a team with only one type of Pokemon). Additional information about each challenge will be posted here as well. People who were able to meet certain criteria at the end of the laddering period would receive reward as well.

Signingups and Qualifications:

Fill in the sign up form below, and make sure you use a brand new alt that hasn't been laddered with. You will need to sign up each round as you will use a different alt name each time, as well as have different experiences. It also makes it easier for us to keep track of your progress if you use a new post. You don't have to sign up for every theme; you may sign up as often or as late as you want, as long as you do your best at completing the challenge for the round. Also don't start laddering until you sign up, please! In order to qualify for the Hall Of Fame, a glicko2 rating of at least 1900 with a deviation of less than 100 must be attained.

Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Current ladder standing:
If you win a challenge, you will recieve 3 Leaderboard points, and if you reach the requirements, you will recieve 1 point for the Leadboard. Have fun :)

~ Hall Of Fame ~

1. Aquasition - 2083 (Scrafty, Marowak)
2. Nollan - 2004 (Darkrai, Deoxys-Attack, Thundurus)
3. Level 51 - 1938 (Aerodactyl, Vaporeon) (Amoonguss, Poliwrath)
4. -FUCK- 1928 (Archeops, Latias, Thundurus)
5. DoesntKnowHowToPlay - 1918 (Hippowdon, Excadrill, Musharna, Tangrowth)
6. Venser - 1904 (Latias, Victini)
7. BlankZero - 1821 (Amoongus, Deoxys-Attack, Mienshao

1. Venser - 2196 (Flying/Steel)
2. Nollan - 1960 (Dark/Ground)
3. breh - 1788 (Flying)
4. Nollan - 1723 (Psychic/Electric)

1. Nollan - 2088
2. The One Man Band - 1995
3. Laga - 1909

1. polop - 2015
2. Nollan - 1942
3. DoesntKnowHowToPlay - 1937
4. ShakeItUp - 1863
5. Audiosurfer - 1843
6. Cease Tick - 1841
7. Laga - 1818
8. breh - 1769

1. DoesntKnowHowToPlay - 1903
2. Audiosurfer - 1886
3. Nollan - 1813

Nollan - 8
DoesntKnowHowToPlay - 5
Venser - 4
Aquasition - 3
polop - 3
Audiosurfer - 2
Level 51 - 2
Laga - 2
Blankzero - 2
breh - 2
-FUCK- - 1
The One Man Band - 1
Cease Tick - 1
ShakeItUp - 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Laga

Forever Grande
Alright guys, the first challenge will be be called "B and below" "The B-Team"(nyttyn is genius) and the challenge is that you may not use any pokemon listed as S rank or A rank in the Doubles Viability Ranking Thread.

A link to this thread can be found here

Edit: i'll sign up as
Pokemon Showdown username: rank BLaga
Current Ladder standing: n/a

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok time to make a work of art

Username: soundwave rider
Standing: n/a

team here: http://pastebin.com/0mx4WvGq

props: specs latias + darkrai for being great (would definitely use fblast > hpfire tho since i had issues w/ things like ttar and heatran that I coulda nailed with it). Virizion was also alot clutcher than I remembered when using it previously

slops: hax in some of the games i lost, hippo + aero for being garbage, empoleon for not doing anything useful on this team

made the team cuz I remembered seein BKC using Aerodactyl in like a gen 4 stall team so I was like "why not try it for kicks". Added Hippo and 3 mons that could check most weathers, Darkrai was just a last addition for more firepower but was pretty great to have thanks to its speed and coverage. Virizion EVs let you KO Rotm-W, Gastrodon and Politoed right off the bat w/ a Gem Leaf Blade (HP EVs let you live DMeteor from Latios too but you'll probs get Psyshocked anyways). Aerodactyl was made to outspeed Scarf Tyranitar, Empoleon EVs outrun Scizor.

more stuff on props: specs latias is pretty awesome. has alot of raw power and can keep dishing out high powered attacks like Latios, but it also has more bulk which allows it to live through some cool things. darkrai was cool because its high speed and nice coverage allowed it to threaten alot of different things. dealing good damage to cress was cool too because fuk cress. virizion was great since it checked rain and sand, and could easily dispatch some common threats for the team. helping hand support also came in handy.

more stuff on slops: for the love of all that is good don't use hippowdon. every time it came out i was like "i miss ttar." STAB Earthquake seems nice but its Attack isn't astounding and plenty of things are immune to it. In addition, its coverage move options all have some low BP which bites. Also, unlike TTar it dies to many common Special attacks so it gets forced out by alot more things :/ Aerodactyl is just not all that good in general. Its STABs are incredibly weak and coming off of 105 Atk it means he's not threatening anything anytime soon. For the most part I'd rather have Terrakion as a Rock type (Unnerve is nice tho so if you ever use it be sure to take advantage of this). Empoleon could be useful but it just wasn't right for this team, being too slow to really be a nice check to Rain and couldnt do much back to most common Rain abusers anyways.

accolades: beating atomicllamas like 5 different times on ladder, overcoming Pwnemon thanks to patronage of RNG gods

overall: was a fairly lackluster team but some of the teammates I would definitely consider using on other teams I make.

Last edited:
Done.

Team:
Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Return

Mienshao (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Helping Hand

Krookodile @ Ground Gem
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Protect

Darkrai @ Expert Belt
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Heracross @ Bug Gem
Trait: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Highlights:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-44224464
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-44258385

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Contrary Chiyuri
Current ladder standing: 1937 ACRE, 2071 +/- 95 Glicko2

I'll list sets later as I might continue laddering with this, and one of the team's strengths is somewhat non-obvious sets (Mew)
nah screw it i only got that far due to luck
Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Detect

Standard Conk is standard- I love using this set and the moment I saw it in B I knew I'd be doing some sort of Trick Room team with it. I tried Scrafty for a couple battles but its offensive presence was practically non-existent unless you ran Hi Jump Kick so I dropped him because I am not good enough at this game to use HJK in Doubles.

I honestly don't see why it's in B rank, but given the ubiquity of Hitmontop I can sort of see why it's not most people's first pick.

Mew @ Mental Herb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 1 Spd
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Transform

This is probably not the best Mew spread you could use- if I were to continue battling I'd probably switch to Modest with enough EVs to outspeed Breloom and maim Hitmontop if possible (perhaps switching item to Psychic Gem as the herb gets wasted more often than not). Fake Out is very nice as usual but somewhat awkward on something that shares weaknesses with every good Trick Room setter bar Porygon2 and is itself a Trick Room setter. Transform is pretty situational and I wasn't able to make use of it much outside of one abusive curbstomp against a mediocre team- I don't know what I'd replace it with though. I imagine weather teams and people running Intimidate could make better use of it as it pierces Protect and can act as a pseudo-Role Play.

Honestly part of the problem with Mew is that it has rather little going for it other than Fake Out to compete against other Psychics- Cresselia and Musharna just do so much more most of the time. I think it can Tailwind though, so maybe it'd be more welcome on a fast team.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Protect

boring standard raincoatmon nothing interesting to see here
(I ran Hippowdon and Cradily for a bit to curb rain but ended up kicking them both off as Hippo loses to every non-sand weather starter and has no offensive presence without Musharna's lovely Gravity+Telepathy HH- Cradily is just plain bad due to typing)

Escavalier @ SilverPowder
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Reversal
- Protect

Escavalier was a last-minute addition to check Cresselia- it also makes a nifty Trick Room attacker. I didn't use it very much though as Conkeldurr filled the battering ram quota well enough on its own when Cress wasn't a threat. SilverPowder is probably not the best choice of item but with double Bug resists being a thing I don't see gems as the best idea.

Victini @ Fire Gem
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Trick Room
- Bolt Strike
- Protect

This is where things start to get interesting. First off I would probably run Mental Herb on this instead of Fire Gem as it's a pretty decent Trick Room setter- it also makes for a frightening attacker under Room. Somewhat more useful though is its ability to severely punish opposing Trick Room teams when Trick Room is not up- even at -1 Speed it will still outrun a lot of slow stuff and dish out heavy damage with V-Create.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

I don't think I'd use this on a regular team, but it was more than welcome here- Porygon2's unique typing for a Trick Room setter made it very handy, and even without investment it has an obscene level of bulk (STAB Hi Jump Kicks don't OHKO it). I fully invest Special Attack because with a good Download he hits 508, which I consider to be a big number because I don't know what Genesect is or what 80 BP STAB means. Thunderbolt is chosen over Ice Beam because it hits rain better and gets better coverage against most of the things Tri Attack doesn't work on (Chandelure, Jellicent, Scizor, Heatran, etc.).

I'm very bad at remembering to save replays so all I have is this somewhat haxy match against Cease Tick's far more interesting team: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-44372254

Last edited:
I guess I'll participate, had a team fitting the description that I was dying to test anyway.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: NNollan
Current ladder standing: 1942 ACRE; 2042 +/- 89 Glicko2

Kyurem @ Chople Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Glaciate
- Earth Power
- Protect

Ninetales @ Iron Ball
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Fire Blast
- Swagger
- Sunny Day
- Protect

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Trait: Harvest Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Fire Gem
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Will O' Wisp
- Pain Split

Blaziken @ Flying Gem
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Acrobatics
- Protect

(I might do explanatory paragraph things, but I'm annoyed right now cuz a hax match just lost me my #1 standing on the last battle before I hit <100, so imma go rage in my pillow first)

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Pokemon Showdown! Username: imbaddude
Current ladder standing:

I chose to do this challenge with the full force of a couple awkward Pokemon. It was kinda fun, honestly.

Here's my team.

I actually learned a lot about some of the mons that I used. For one, it gave me a really big appreciation for Water Gem / Recover Water Spout Jellicent. In a lot of games, I felt like it was the blue or pink thread that tied the team together. Magmar also gets a lot of credit - it's a lot bulkier than people seem to ever anticipate and it's great at getting rid of a lot of a lot of attacks - strong attacks will do really silly damage to it; Thundurus-I cannot 2HKO it without the aid of Choice Specs and high rolls, for example. Ferrothorn proved to be really cool; when heatran (or whatever fire type your opponent has) is dead, ferrothorn suddenly becomes pretty goddamn hard to kill. Rain makes it a lot more formidable. Purugly is a hilarious gimmick and KOes Landorus-T with Fake Out / Return. If it gets Intimidated multiple times, it will raze through the opponent with striking speed. I should have probably given it Silk Scarf, though. Reuniclus is probably pretty inferior to cresselia the way I was using it, but it's really bulky and works really well in Trick Room. Reflect can be funny at times and Psychic actually packs a punch without any EVs. Although Conkeldurr is a really solid Pokemon, it seemed to be really... uninteresting. It does pair well with Magmar to Follow Me away Cresselia's moves, though. I have to wonder if LO Conk would be more interesting.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'mma get in on this.

Pokemon Showdown Username: B Happy
Current ladder standing: None

Edit: I fucked up team wise (and loss wise) by putting Amoonguss on a team. The artwork at the top of the viablity ranking makes it look like it's B -_- Changed my name.

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Username : mizuhimebladdering
current rank : i was at 2100 ish, then i got haxed so im at like 1890 restarting though will report soon.

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
"B and below"
seriously
you had all the fucking great possible names like "The B-Team" or "Second-Rate Stars" or "B-Movie"

and you went with "B and below"

come the fuck on man

Username: Steve Reeves

I'd go with "B Challenged" cuz this is the first Ladder Challenge that involves people actually being challenged :p

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to try this challenge out

Pokemon Showdown username:10ntx4x4cm1

currently ladder standing: 2154 ± 99 with an acre of 2015

Noooot exactly impressive I know but I got haxed so much in a number of matches, there were a few losses were I got outplayed though.

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Protect

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Detect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover

Marowak @ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Bonemerang <- Don't judge me I had no partner to take it aside Bronzong and this thing was ridiculously strong.
- Rock Slide
- Detect
- Double-Edge

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

There was a Hayiyama on this team but I later realized that I needed Ferrothorn to fare better against rain teams so I ended up substituting it out. I know its a taboo to run Leftovers on Ferro but it ended up surviving more then 5 turns most of the time so Leftovers ended up being helpful. Passho was kinda an idea to live fire moves but then I started wondering why I didn't switch out. I ended up making a pure TR team mostly because those were the mons that ended up being allowed in the lower tiers. Scrafty actually ended up not being a completely inferior hitmontop due to its ability to eat Cresselia, Drain Punch is WEAK though but the intimidate support with that was invaluable. Reunucleus and Marowaks we're nukes though, OHKOing a ton of stuff with STAB LO Psychic (focus blast sux though) and Thick Club boosted Bonemerang.

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
Alright guys, I am ending this ladder challenge.

Congratulations to; @ShakeItUp, @breh, @Audiosurfer, @DoesntKnowHowToPlay, @Cease Tick, @Nollan, and myself, you have all gained a spot in the Hall of Fame, and a leaderboard point :)

@BlankZero, @Mizuhime you guys have 48 hours to post some alt identification (if you have any).

Huge Congratulations to the winner, @polop ; you recieve a special spot in the Hall of Fame, whilst gaining a juicy 3 leaderboard points :D

Thank you all very much for participating in this ladder challenge. A new challenge will be posted whenever the fuck I think of one soon! :)

Edit: OOPS... I forgot to post my own ladder challenge evidence.

Also, I have now updated the OP with the points !!

Last edited:
polop - 2154
Nollan - 1942
DoesntKnowHowToPlay - 1937
ShakeItUp - 1863
Audiosurfer - 1843
Cease Tick - 1841
Laga - 1818
breh - 1769
Just correcting in that polop hit 2015 ACRE; 2154 was his Glicko2 ;)

Also, I should get extra points for using a SUN TEAM (jk). Srsly tho, Sun is pretty underrated, people need to use it more. :]

Laga

Forever Grande
Alright you pro ladderers, it's time for the next one!!
This ladder challenge is completely founded by Nollan, so props to him

"Fuk Speed Control"

I think you know what this means; no use of Icy Wind, Trick Room, Thunder Wave or Tailwind on any Pokemon! Good luck guys :)

Edit: Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Sand Rush.. Fuk those too.

Pocket EDIT: variants of the above moves are also prohibited (Bulldoze, Glaciate, Stun Spore, Glare)

Last edited by a moderator:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
username: freehooh

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Protect

Landorus @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Protect

Cresselia @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SAtk / 212 SDef
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Light Screen
- Helping Hand
- Rest

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

ladderin is boring rng sucks etc etc. this team was alright to use though, basically the team i've been using for months w/ like 2 moveset changes. scarf hydreigon was fun to net a bunch of surprise kills too

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
username: Fuk Speed

username: hax makes me sad

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)