National Dex Double screen Latias + Scarf - National dex OU

So I've been playing around in Nat dex and made this random team. And honestly, I'm surprised this team can hold it's own. Even with no direction in the mons I pick I found a way to make it all connect.
Corviknight (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Protect
- Defog
Just a basic Corv build. It doesn't deal too much damage, but it lives hits, with its great bulk and Steel/flying type. Defog and Tailwind are 2 very useful utility moves, and U-turn is for easy pivots. Protect is too... Protect. This Mon has an easy time switching in and out, especially with double screen up. That basically makes it immortal
Tera usage
Never Tera Corv. The Tera should be used on one of the offensive mons, or to get out of a bad matchup you can't switch out of. The actual Tera itself is just getting rid of its 2 weaknesses, fire and electric.
Main strats
It's bulk makes it good to switch out after Megapunny U-turn or to block smth the others weak to. The lack to entry hazards in this comp makes defog extra good, and with U-turn and protect it can choose to run or stay. It's also immune to LV1 cheese, because of leftovers and it's steel type making it immune to sand.

Basculegion-F (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Surf
- Hex
- Ice Beam
The big scarf user. Basculeigon's bulk and great water/Ghost type make it a force. It will mostly outspeed and wipe the field. Due to its Adaptability, it basically has both specs and scarf at once, having 2x STAB moves. It even has coverage for grass types with ice beam. It also has surprising bulk, with decent defence and a great 120 HP.
Tera usage
Most of the time, the Tera goes to this. Tera water takes out any chance of dark or ghost types from threatening it, which are much stronger than grass types. You could gamble for the Adaptability boost to be enough, but its safer and stronger. Plus, water is a more versatile offensive typing than ghost is. But still, 8/10 you should Tera the Basculeigon.
Main strats
This Mon can live a hit or 2, so switching it in from double screen Latias or Megapunny is defo a go unless you know you'll get OHKO'd. After that, Tera instantly and start sweeping. When a bad type matchup comes, switch to another mon who can deal with them, like Landorus for electric types or Megapunny if you didn't Tera and need to hit ghost types. Then you can switch it back in and change strat
Maractus (F) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Energy Ball
- Spiky Shield
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
This is an odd Mon. It has a low BST, and a pretty bad spread, but it's movepool is pretty decent. Ik I'd probs be better with smth like Venusaur, but the utility of this Mon is too much for me to pass. Storm drain helps Landorus and Megapunny when there gonna get hit by a big water move, and the combo of Spiky Shield + Leech + Toxic is a combo (I think) no other Mon has. Even though Shield is just a better protect, the damage it does stacks onto toxic and Leech. Storm drain can even threaten water types, with Maractus' niche 106 SP. Atk and base 90 power energy ball.
Tera usage
You should hardly ever Tera this Mon. Tera rock is for Fire and Flying coverage + Storm drain gets rid of the water weakness. Only Tera if you can't switch on a bad matchup.
Main strats
I've played a few games, and seen this Mon is really good at chipping out opponents. It can be a setup for an easy KO on an otherwise unkillable Mon. Toxic also helps with Basculeigon's Hex, and it's a good switch in when Landorus is in danger. It's weird how useful some mons can be, like this Gen 5 grass type that isn't Ferrothorn.
Landorus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Protect/Toxic
A must stay in any OU format. Landorus is one of the strongest pokemon in the tier, and for good reason. It has a monstrous 140 Atk, decent 91 speed and 89 HP, and a lot of utility in its movepool. This set focuses on easy switch ins and some random OHKOs.
Tera usage
I wouldn't blame you for teraing this Mon. It's not the most useful, but it's only second best. Tera dark knock off is an easy OHKO to any ghost or psychic types, though not without the boosted version.
Main strats
HDB deals with entry hazard not cleared out by Corv, or if Corv is dead. Intimidate is an easy way to weaken physical pokemon that could otherwise threaten Landorus. Double screen Latias can also protect it, but it's still not invincible to water or ice type moves. Earthquake destroys most mons with super effective damage, and knock off is good utility for dealing with annoying mons, like bulky mons or Rocky helmets or anything like that. This Mon is rich with utility.
Latias @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Light Screen
- Reflect
Finally we get to the BEEG boy. More people prefer Latios, but Latias has better defense so it's more suited to this spot. Double screen + Tailwind is ridiculous utility, especially with light clay. Add on a Draco meteor for any other Dragon threats and this Mon can do a lot.
Tera usage
Ion think you'll get far teraing this Mon. But, if you have a tricky Dragon to beat, then we have no fairies. So Tera dragon meteor us the best you have. It defo isn't recommended you Tera Latias though
Main strats
This is literally the most disgusting starter I've ever seen. Set up double screen, which goes first depends on the enemy's Mon, and either Tailwind to set up fast sweeps or fast utility, meteor to shred the enemy's HP, or just switch out. You have the double screen, so just about everything will not OHKO. So as long as you OHKO or just get a good position, then you'll smash through. Levitate also makes this easy to switch into baring a ground type move is used. It's you've unlocked Ultra Ego except you don't need a power boost from damage.
Lopunny (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
This is also a really good Mon to start with. Fake out will stop your opponent from moving for a turn, and it's insane speed and Atk make this hard to overcome. All it has to do is get going and it will stomp just about everything.
Tera usage
You can't tera mega pokemon
Main strats
This mon is easy to explain. Try to OHKO anything and everything, switch out in danger, rinse and repeat. If you don't kill Megapunny, it will kill you first. Scrappy is useless bcuz of play rough, though. It does has decent defenses, so under double screen Latias it can defo live a hit. Plus Loppuny has an amazing movepool for strong physical moves, like close combat.

There is also this scarf user I can play too
Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball
This isn't my preferred Scarf user, bcuz of its lack of HP and offensive abilities, but it can still do the same thing. Compared to Basculeigon, Chandelure has a wider special movepool, higher SP. Atk and slightly higher speed. Infiltrator is also a nice Ability to have for any other screen users.
Tera usage
It's not as mandatory as Basculeigon's is. Tera grass is good for taking out water types, but it doesn't need it. Chandelure has enough power to handle things on its own. You could run Tera fire for definite OHKOs, and without any Adaptability you can defo use it just fine, but I prefer the safer option
Main strats
Same thing as Basculeigon, just being more careful. Chandelure doesn't have nearly as much HP, though it has slightly higher defenses, and fire/Ghost, while being very good offensively, isn't as good as water/Ghost defensively.

Attachments

Last edited:

red fintans

fintan is actually blue
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hi there RioTheKastle, cool team you got there, it seems to be built around spreading chip with mlop to open a clean up for your scarf users, however there is definitely room for improvement. Before the analysis, I must first mention that you seem to have 7 pokemon..?? I'm analysing with the assumption that the team is just the first six (i.e. without chandelure).

1. Corv
Corviknight has a much better physdef than spdef, so investing more in physdef and having a dedicated spdef tank is much better than this compromise of a spread. As for its moves, tailwind doesn't support much since the only beneficiary is lando, and tailwind doesn't last very long, so it doesn't have much use. Protect on the other hand just wastes a turn of your screens (and tailwind if you have it). Protect is usually for scouting moves, but Corviknight gets much more value out of having roost for recovery, along with an attack to prevent from being too passive (usually either body press or iron head).

2. Basc
Honestly this set seems fire, the only thing I have is that it would like to be timid instead of modest since it isn't very fast, but even timid still gets outsped by pult (by ONE SPEED POINT) so idk.

3. Maractus
I am very sad to say that this boi might have to go. His role can be better fulfilled by other mons, like toxapex or gastro for example. Since your team is v e r y weak to ice types at the moment, I would recommend going with toxapex. Pex has access to a lot of nice tools, like tspikes to wear down bulkier teams, a resistance to ice type moves (and a lot of other useful resistances), haze to stop sweeps (sometimes), scald to fish for burns, recover for instant healing, baneful bunker since you like protect moves, the list goes on. Just build this however your team most needs.

4. Lando
Uhh why bulk up? Swords dance is a better option to more easily deal with bulky cores. Protect also doesn't really have a defined use here. I would recommend rock polish or uturn over it, your choice.

5. Latias
Tailwind once again isn't very useful, healing wish support is probably better. However you can troll around with tailwind on this one since I personally never make use of healing wish lmao so its up to you

6. Mlop
Jolly is DEFINITELY better here. Play rough can be replaced with triple axel or tpunch if you want.

Anyway, as a whole it seems like you're the type to experiment so I left a lot of open options here. I hope this helps :D
this also means I am not giving you a free paste of your new team haha

Hi, I liked the team at first glance and then I tried to apply the changes that red fintans made. But then I tried to ladder with the team and end up making some more changes; possibly if u see the team right now you will think that it's completely different, so this post is merely to show what changes I made and why.

:sv/corviknight: :sv/toxapex: :sv/Latios: :sv/Lopunny-mega: :sv/kyurem: :sv/iron-valiant:

I mantain the idea of Latios setting screens and Tailwind, Corviknight as a physical defender and MLopunny as physical sweeper. I have changed Maractus for Toxapex as red fintans said because it is better to hold Water-types, and it resists Ice-type attacks (Landorus and Latios were too weak to Ice). Then I figured that the team couldn't deal with Pokémon like Tangrowth so I substitued Basculegion for Kyurem (Tera-Ground, because we are too weak to Thunder types). The last change is the one I most dislike, I added Iron Valiant as second special sweeper but maybe u could try chandelure which was your second idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)