BSS Double Priority Lure Dragonite

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:sv/dragonite:

God just how many viable sets does Dragonite have? I know this isn't even the last one we're likely to cover this season...

On a serious note: This is a pretty short set, I felt like what it does is pretty simple even if the set looks pretty weird to anyone not used to the current metagame, but let me know if there's any detail you think I'm missing!

[SET]
name: Double Priority Lure
move 1: Tera Blast
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Earthquake / Low Kick
item: Sharp Beak / Assault Vest
ability: Multiscale
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
tera type: Flying

[SET COMMENTS]

* With Flying-type Tera Blast OHKOing physically frail and Flying-weak Pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Annihilape, this set is effective at fooling opponents into thinking that it's Choice Band Dragonite, but it almost always needs to Terastallize to be effective.

* **Aqua Jet**: It may seem redundant with Extreme Speed, but Aqua Jet is a key move for picking off weakened Ghost-types, such as Flutter Mane, and surprising Focus Sash Pokemon that might use Tera Ghost to avoid being sniped by Extreme Speed, such as Iron Valiant.

* **Earthquake versus Low Kick**: Earthquake is the preferred coverage move for OHKOing Magnezone, a common response when thinking Dragonite is locked into Tera Blast. Low Kick trades that OHKO from full health for defeating Kingambit and revenge killing opposing Tera Normal Dragonite, assuming your Dragonite's Multiscale is still intact.

* **Adamant versus Jolly**: Adamant is the best nature for needing less chip damage to revenge kill weakened targets with priority attacks, but Jolly can make sense if outspeeding foes like Jolly Breloom, Modest Gholdengo, and Adamant Baxcalibur is appealing.

Items
========

* **Sharp Beak**: Sharp Beak gives Dragonite the most offensive presence with the fewest drawbacks, giving Flying-type Tera Blast just enough of a boost to 3HKO Dondozo. This heavily pressures it to use Rest, or possibly Protect for Leftovers variants. In the latter case, Dragonite can switch to maintain offensive momentum.

* **Assault Vest**: Assault Vest vastly improves Dragonite's matchup against Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane, especially if Multiscale's protection has been lost.

* **Heavy-Duty Boots**: Heavy-Duty Boots means Stealth Rock will no longer remove this set's ability to trade blows with powerful threats.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Theorymon, 29010]]
- Quality checked by: [[DerpySuX, 528485]]]
- Grammar checked by: [[YashGreninja, 383911], [Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited:

DerpySuX

I’ll encourage ya smile, I’d expect you don’t cry
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I would mention a couple items

Assault Vest - this improves your matchups with flutter mane and iron bundle, allowing you to more consistently beat them with the dual priority

Heavy Duty Boots - this allows Dragonite to be a more consistent mid game threat by keeping multiscale intact to enable the dual priority strategy

otherwise this looks good to me! QC APPROVED

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Implemented the stuff! I was thinking about mentioning a bulkier spread for AV, but it seems like the bulky AV Dragonites go in... a very different direction in this set, which makes sense, so I just made AV a simple slash in instead of providing a specific spread for it, and mentioned Heavy-Duty Boots.

This is now ready for a GP check!

GP Team

Hello!

Add Remove Comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* With Tera Flying Tera Blast OHKOing physically frail and Flying weak Pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Annihilape, this This set is effective at fooling foes into thinking that its it is Choice Band Dragonite at the cost of almost always needing to Terastallize to be effective., (period) (comma) OHKOing Pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Annihilape with Tera Flying Tera Blast.

* **Aqua Jet**: It may seem redundant with Extreme Speed, but Aqua Jet is a key move vital for picking off weakened Ghost-types such as Flutter Mane and surprising Focus Sash Pokemon that might use Tera Ghost to avoid being sniped by Extreme Speed, such as Iron Valiant.

* **Earthquake versus Low Kick**: Earthquake is the preferred coverage move for OHKOing Magnezone, a common response to thinking Dragonite is locked into Tera Blast. Low Kick trades that for defeating Kingambit and revenge killing opposing Tera Normal Dragonite if your Dragonite's Multiscale is still intact.

* **Adamant versus Jolly**: Adamant is the best nature for needing less effort to revenge kill weakened targets with priority attacks, but Jolly can make sense if outspeeding foes like Jolly Breloom, Modest Gholdengo, and Adamant Baxcalibur is appealing.

Items
========

* **Sharp Beak**: Sharp Beak gives Flying-type Tera Blast just enough of a boost to 3HKO Dondozo, heavily pressuring it to use Protect or Rest, and otherwise gives Dragonite the most offensive presence with the least drawbacks.

* **Assault Vest**: Assault Vest vastly improves Dragonite's matchup against Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane, especially if Multiscale has been lost.

* **Heavy-Duty Boots**: Heavy Duty-Boots Heavy-Duty Boots means Stealth Rock will no longer neutralize this set's ability to trade blows with powerful threats.

GP Team

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
included some things from above AM check
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* With Tera Flying Flying-type Tera Blast OHKOing physically frail and Flying-weak (added hyphen) Pokemon such as Flutter Mane and Annihilape, this set is effective at fooling foes opponents into thinking that its it's Choice Band Dragonite at the cost of almost always needing Dragonite, but it almost always needs to Terastallize to be effective.

* **Aqua Jet**: It may seem redundant with Extreme Speed, but Aqua Jet is a key move for picking off weakened Ghost-types, (AC) such as Flutter Mane, (AC) and surprising Focus Sash Pokemon that might use Tera Ghost to avoid being sniped by Extreme Speed, such as Iron Valiant.

* **Earthquake versus Low Kick**: Earthquake is the preferred coverage move for OHKOing Magnezone, a common response to when thinking Dragonite is locked into Tera Blast. Low Kick trades that OHKO from full health (I imagine low kick dnite uses teammates to chip zone to then ohko weakened zone? if i misunderstand, though, you can change or remove this) for defeating Kingambit and revenge killing opposing Tera Normal Dragonite if Dragonite, assuming your Dragonite's Multiscale is still intact.

* **Adamant versus Jolly**: Adamant is the best nature for needing less effort chip damage (I imagine?) to revenge kill weakened targets with priority attacks, but Jolly can make sense if outspeeding foes like Jolly Breloom, Modest Gholdengo, and Adamant Baxcalibur is appealing.

Items
========

* **Sharp Beak**: Sharp Beak gives Flying-type Tera Blast just enough of a boost to 3HKO Dondozo, heavily pressuring it to use Protect or Rest, (it's not entirely obvious to me the benefit of pressuring it to protect. this set doesn't have a clear way to take advantage of it-would you use the protect to switch to something else? maybe elaborate a bit somehow if i'm not missing something obvious) and otherwise gives Dragonite the most offensive presence with the least fewest drawbacks.

* **Assault Vest**: Assault Vest vastly improves Dragonite's matchup against Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane, especially if Multiscale's protection has been lost.

* **Heavy-Duty Boots**: Heavy-Duty (moved hyphen) Boots means Stealth Rock will no longer neutralize remove this set's ability to trade blows with powerful threats.
Adeleine-1.gif
GP Team done

Theorymon

Thanks for the check! You were correct about Magnezone and Dondozo. To try to make the intent about Dondozo more clear (since Dondozo is such a common Dragonite switch-in), I rewrote that section and put it in bold green text for easy finding, lemme know what you think Adeleine ! Everything else was implemented.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
* **Sharp Beak**: Sharp Beak gives Dragonite the most offensive pressence with the fewest drawbacks, giving Flying-type Tera Blast just enough of a boost to 3HKO Dondozo.

two s's on "pressence" :)

This heavily pressures it to use Rest, or lets Dragonite switch while Leftovers variants use Protect to maintain offensive momentum.

would prefer, assuming it makes sense: "This heavily pressures it to use Rest, or possibly Protect for Leftovers variants. In the latter case, Dragonite can switch to maintain offensive momentum."

if leftovers dozer would only realistically use Protect, my first sentence can become like "This heavily pressures standard Dondozo to use Rest, or Leftovers variants to use Protect." you get the idea

bold green findability is rad

you're good to go :blobthumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)