Unofficial Metagames Double Dragon Offense

Jocus

Banned deucer.
This is my first 1v1 RMT.

Teambuilding Process

:charizard-mega-x:
I don't use Mega Charizard X frequently, so I thought that I would try it.
:charizard-mega-x: :tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele handles Charizard's weaknesses to Tapu Fini, Primarina, Zygarde, non-Choice Scarf Porygon-Z, Golem, Donphan, Landorus-T, Mega Altaria, and others.
:charizard-mega-x: :tapu-lele: :dragonite:
Dragonite covers the core's weaknesses to Heatran, Carracosta, Life Orb Greninja, Choice Scarf Porygon-Z, Iron Tail + Outrage Zeraora, and more.

Set Details

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 8 HP / 232 Atk / 36 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Will-O-Wisp / Flame Charge / Substitute

This set was borrowed from MaceMaster's set compendium. Belly Drum Charizard is preferred over the regular sets in order to defeat stall Pokemon like Mega Slowbro and Type: Null. Everything else is pretty standard; I don't have a clear idea of what Mace's EVs are for. There are three options for the last move. Will-O-Wisp is usually my go-to move on low ladder because it beats F.E.A.R. abusers like Aron, Nosepass, Probopass, Level 25 Donphan, and Magnemite. It also gives Charizard an improved matchup against Avalugg, against whose non-Choice Band sets it can use Will-O-Wisp, proceed to Belly Drum, and finish it off with Flare Blitz. Flame Charge allows Charizard to beat Choice Scarf Dragonite and bulky multi-attack Zeraora and prevents mind games with maximum Speed Mega Gardevoir; these three critical matchups make it my pick on high ladder. Substitute can also be used to stop gimmicks like the aforementioned F.E.A.R., although it is less effective. Rather, its main purpose is to prevent Foul Play Mega Slowbro from catching Charizard on the Belly Drum.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 96 HP / 188 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Reflect
- Calm Mind

This is the analysis set. The important matchups that this EV spread wins are against Mega Charizard X, Tapu Fini, and Z-Hurricane Dragonite. Psyshock is used over Psychic to prevent the matchup against Clefable from being reliant on RNG. Z-Reflect is opted for over Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, or Z-Skill Swap to beat Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, and non-Choice Scarf Dragonite. Calm Mind is preferred over Taunt since Charizard already has a stallbreaker set; CM beats Tapu Fini and Primarina.

Dragonite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 64 Atk / 164 Def / 56 SpA / 228 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Earthquake

This is the glue of the team that wins almost every matchup that the other two members don't. It's based on the standard physical Choice Scarf Dragonite set of Outrage, Iron Head, Superpower, and Earthquake. Iron Head wins against Tapu Lele; Superpower wins against Heatran; Earthquake wins against Aegislash, which otherwise plays mind games against Charizard. Draco Meteor may seem out of place, but it has a purpose: it offers the same type coverage as Outrage while preventing the team from losing to Counter Crustle. 164 Def EVs ensure that Dragonite survives a Continental Crush from Max Attack Adamant Crustle, while 228 Speed EVs and a Jolly Nature ensure that it outspeeds Max Speed Crustle at +2. 56 SpA EVs allow Dragonite to 2HKO uninvested Crustle. The rest of the EVs go to Atk to maximize damage. Naive Nature decreases the least important stat, SpD, while increasing Speed so that Dragonite can reach the required benchmark to beat Crustle. Not decreasing Def makes playing against Crustle easier.

Weaknesses

:zeraora: This is the biggest weakness I found. It's not every day that you see it with Life Orb or Choice Band, but it's possible, especially in Smogtours. The closest thing I have to beat it is Mega Charizard X, and even then the matchup is dependent on mind games. If Charizard Mega Evolves, Outrage kills, while if Charizard doesn't, Plasma Fists kills. With enough bulk, I need Flame Charge on Charizard to get enough damage.

:crustle: The second biggest weakness. It's the reason I went out of my way on the Dragonite set with the EVs and Draco Meteor, and it can still try to get a good number of hits roll to kill Dragonite with Rock Blast. Dragonite gets a guaranteed 2HKO with Draco Meteor without bulk investment, but it's rolls with bulk investment.

:slowbro-mega: Foul Play is pretty rare, but I might see it once in a while. It allows Slowbro to beat every Pokemon on this team except if Mega Charizard X brings Substitute. Otherwise, if it has Scald, Charizard can easily win with Belly Drum.

:gardevoir-mega: It beats Tapu Lele and Dragonite. If it happens (*cough* 252 / 252 / 4 EVs *cough*) to outrun Charizard and runs a Psychic-type move, once again, the matchup becomes a matter of mind games. If I Mega Evolve, it can beat me with Hyper Beam; if I don't, Psyshock beats me because Flare Blitz can't OHKO it. I can secure the matchup with Flame Charge on Charizard, however; I just click Flame Charge and don't Mega Evolve.

:avalugg: The THUGG is threatening. Dragonite insta-loses to all of its sets. Against Choice Band, Tapu Lele wins easily; it just clicks Z-Reflect. If Avalugg uses Mirror Coat, use Reflect and Calm Mind to PP stall; it if uses an attack, attack it back twice to kill it. The other three Avalugg sets are Groundium Z, Ghostium Z, and Leftovers. These are dependent on mind games. The goal with Tapu Lele is to use status moves until I predict that Avalugg won't use Mirror Coat. The goal with Charizard is to use Will-O-Wisp turn one and defeat it with Fire-type moves, maybe with a Belly Drum. Against Leftovers, burn damage is negated, so the Charizard matchup is a little harder.

:aggron-mega: :steelix-mega: Not too common, but the bulky Sturdy Steels can tank every hit I throw at them and kill my Pokemon back.

:incineroar: Again, don't run into it much. Dragonite is dead meat against it. I have to guess its set to find whether Tapu Lele or Charizard beats it. Tapu Lele beats physically defensive sets; Charizard beats specially defensive sets. Charizard also has a chance against physically defensive sets; if I predict Bulk Up turn one, I Belly Drum. Likewise, if I predict an attack, I Outrage.

:quagsire: :pyukumuku: Without Taunt, my team cannot break through the Unaware stallers, whose ability negates Charizard's Belly Drum.

:nosepass: :probopass: :magnemite: :donphan: :aron: What a wonderful way to end this with F.E.A.R.. If I become annoyed with the aforementioned matchups and drop Will-O-Wisp on Charizard, I may find on low ladder that I have no way to beat Endeavor or Recycle + Berry Juice. Not much else to say other than I hate losing to this.

EVs: 8 HP / 232 Atk / 36 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Will-O-Wisp / Flame Charge / Substitute

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 96 HP / 188 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Reflect
- Calm Mind

Dragonite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 64 Atk / 164 Def / 56 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Asking for improvements to EV spreads, movesets, and more.

Last edited:
Hi. I was using this team in ladder for some time, and I'm pretty sure it's just me, but I found a weakness to Pokemon that the gimmick that is Choice Scarf Dragonite fails to KO in addition to the Pokemon you mentioned in your fairly detailed analysis of your team. I feel like replacing Dragonite with Pokemon with a similar niche would do the team much good than bad, and also I wanted to edit the Mega Charizard X set so that it fairly covers weaknesses you might expect to face in the ladder and, to a certain amount, in tounaments as well.

The major change I propose to this team is switching up Choice Scarf Dragonite to Mega Camerupt. I felt like while Choice Scarf Dragonite beats the aforementioned Pokemon, many Pokemon in the list, including (but not limited to) Zeraora and bulky Incineroar see a fair amount of usage in tours, which could see this team fall short. And no, Mega Charizard X (especially the one I am going to suggest later in this post) does not beat Z-Move Incineroar.

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 132 SpA / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

This lets it beat most of the things Choice Scarf Dragonite beats in addition to Zeraora, Incineroar, Mega Aggron, and F.E.A.R. The EVs are made such that you can beat Heatran, since Camerupt has Solid Rock, an ability which, in combination with the bulk included, tanks 2 Earth Power from Heatran.

Also, a slight modification to the Mega Charizard X set:
EVs: 8 HP / 36 Def / 232 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Will-O-Wisp

And another minor change is to make Charizard-Mega X, the 232 Atk EVs didn't really matter, so I dumped them into SpD to have a better chance against Meloetta. So the set looks something like this:

EVs: 8 HP / 36 Def / 232 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Will-O-Wisp / Flame Charge

So, the final look of the team is something like this:

-- Click on the sprite for pokepaste of the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)