[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Barely played. Went 3-1, entered with a joke team. Behold it. ~1525 ranking.

Alakazam just tormented the absolute fuck out of everything, and yes, that's a bulky Alakazam. Uninvested Psyshock stings Gengar plenty, and anything unlucky enough to be slower than Zammy (aka, 90% of the metagame) was simply Subbed upon and mind-raped. Gengar? Psyshock may seem obvious, but I usually subbed; most people know "it's faster and I will die" so I just got a free sub on the switch, followed by a free Psyshock. Zammy forced at least 1 struggle/switch upon his first victim, at which point foe figures out they can switch on Encore. At which point, I simply Sub and spew Psyshock everywhere, severely denting the team combined with SR. Zammy would often be the overall most damaging mon, despite a single, uninvested, and relatively weak attack. Set up mon? Encore. Not a setup mon? Sub -> Disable -> Encore -> laugh.
Machamp did most of the killing, 20% of the trolling, and 40% of the crippling. Dynamicpunch is legendary, nothing bar Gengar wants to eat it, and Sub blocks OHKO moves and switches that Machamp baits to no end. Toxic was for crippling Slowbro, which I never saw, and ended up being used on random shit for chip damage. Stone Edge, I needed for Gengar and Dragonite; but mostly, I always use it on Machamp on account of "omg, it actually hits!".
Golem is an obvious lead choice, OHKO sponge, and general pain in the ass if it doesn't lead. Switch in to dumb T-bolt + Signal beam Jolteon, click SR, switch out if at full HP or just spam Stone Edge since nothing resists it. Just set up a half-dead, +2/+2 Dnite? Park full HP Golem in front of it. Watch as hope fades from your foe's eyes. Aerodactyl? Walk right in, give no fucks, and click Stone Edge. Articuno? Sure, Freeze-Dry me and gamble with Stone Edge. Blastoise? Sure, my Articuno could use a free switch in anyway.
Articuno was an absolute dick, preying upon Golem's switchins (Machamp, Starmie, Blastoise), stalling like hell with Sub + Roost + Pressure, and being more directly pressuring with Sheer Cold spam. limited 8 PP, sure, but would you want to fight a Sheer Cold spammer beind a Sub?
Arbok was entered via coinflip, as some know her as an inexpicably effective troll in my Double battles, spreading depair and misery everywhere she goes with Intimidate + Glare (Dragonite really hates that one btw) followed by Rock Slide spam. Even against superior foes who should win 1v1, such as Wish + protect Vaporeon, Glare + Coil + Rock Slide was simply too much. Arbok only ever died on account of me lacking Black Sludge and a Wish passer.
Scyther was chosen via lottery, and I ran Fury Cutter out of absolute stupidity; it actually came in useful against a stall Chansey though. Fury Cutter hits 60 -> 120 -> 240 power, and turns out Chansey doesn't take that very well without Eviolite. Wing Attack, I don't have the Aerial Ace TM, so wyaut. Defog I never used. Roost was fun to just stall against Ice Beam mons. all in all, 2 kills in 4 battles.

Team was retarded, had almost no synergy, and no switchins for most relevent threats. Somehow, I went 3-1, some were 1580+. The one loss, I recorded 6 crits to my 1 across ~18 turns so guess why I lost. I saw 0 Snorlax, I was sad.
I should not of pulled off half the shit I pulled off, nor should have more than 1 win.
I saw way weirder than this. Mayb not in Pokemon so much, but definitely in moves and probably EV spreads. One example is a Guts Machamp with Brick Break/ Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch/ Bullet Punch-Machamp doesn't get Iron Fist so idk why al the punching moves. T-punch especially, only really gets Gyara, and even there Stone a Edge is almost as good. If it was a normal Champ I would've lost the match. Another weird thing I saw was Iron Defense/ CM/ Scald/ Slack Off Slowbro. Still better than the Curse and Aqua Tail one I saw on PS tho.

How did it balance out having two thing 4x weak to Stealth Rock, two things 2x resistant, and one thing immune? I have a 4x weak in Articuno as well and a 2x in Zapdos, but nothing better than neutral so it seems like you take less damage from SR than my team did, tho mayb not since I actually managed to use Defog :p

Really interesting moves on everything, especially Fury Cutter on Scyther. Always wondered about if that move is good for something. Mayb with Metronome in regular BSS? Probably not tho. Why Sub and Roost for Articuno instead of boring old RestTalk?

I saw way weirder than this. Mayb not in Pokemon so much, but definitely in moves and probably EV spreads. One example is a Guts Machamp with Brick Break/ Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch/ Bullet Punch-Machamp doesn't get Iron Fist so idk why al the punching moves. T-punch especially, only really gets Gyara, and even there Stone a Edge is almost as good. If it was a normal Champ I would've lost the match. Another weird thing I saw was Iron Defense/ CM/ Scald/ Slack Off Slowbro. Still better than the Curse and Aqua Tail one I saw on PS tho.

How did it balance out having two thing 4x weak to Stealth Rock, two things 2x resistant, and one thing immune? I have a 4x weak in Articuno as well and a 2x in Zapdos, but nothing better than neutral so it seems like you take less damage from SR than my team did, tho mayb not since I actually managed to use Defog :p

Really interesting moves on everything, especially Fury Cutter on Scyther. Always wondered about if that move is good for something. Mayb with Metronome in regular BSS? Probably not tho. Why Sub and Roost for Articuno instead of boring old RestTalk?
Slowbro set is a Mega Slowbro setup sweeper set; I use it myself. Much fun, very despair.
No one used SR on me, so it worked quite well. Don't ask, no idea why. They all had golem.
No, Fury Cutter should never, under any circumstance, be used, even on Scyther/Scizor. Bug Bite is always better.
SubRoost because the Sheer Cold RestTalk ones can do absolutely nothing against anything with Substitute, and in terms of probability:
1) Rest, 33%. Turn wasted.
2) Sheer Cold, 33%. 70% chance of wasting turn.
3) Freeze-Dry, 33%. 10% Freezehax chance, decent damage. A turn that accomplished something yay.

so imo, 70% shot at doing nothing, whereas SubRoost is ALWAYS doing something. Can even stall slower Magneton to hell.
Never ran out of Sheer Cold PP.

Slowbro set is a Mega Slowbro setup sweeper set; I use it myself. Much fun, very despair.
No one used SR on me, so it worked quite well. Don't ask, no idea why. They all had golem.
No, Fury Cutter should never, under any circumstance, be used, even on Scyther/Scizor. Bug Bite is always better.
SubRoost because the Sheer Cold RestTalk ones can do absolutely nothing against anything with Substitute, and in terms of probability:
1) Rest, 33%. Turn wasted.
2) Sheer Cold, 33%. 70% chance of wasting turn.
3) Freeze-Dry, 33%. 10% Freezehax chance, decent damage. A turn that accomplished something yay.

so imo, 70% shot at doing nothing, whereas SubRoost is ALWAYS doing something. Can even stall slower Magneton to hell.
Never ran out of Sheer Cold PP.
...What Slowbro? And I probably should've done SubRoost as well. You're right that Sleep Talk is usually not very useful, and Rest healing off status isn't much help when Sub blocks status and I have a cleric.

...What Slowbro?
This one lol:
Another weird thing I saw was Iron Defense/ CM/ Scald/ Slack Off Slowbro. Still better than the Curse and Aqua Tail one I saw on PS tho.
^ Scald or Psyshock / Iron Defense / Calm Mind or Amnesia / Slack Off or Rest is a Mega Slowbro set. Buffs defenses, is immune to critical hits, and tries to outlast everything. So they may of just looked up competitive Slowbro sets and that's probably among the first 4 things you'd find tbh. Shame, I wanted to see someone run an offensive one.

Omastar68 said:
And I probably should've done SubRoost as well. You're right that Sleep Talk is usually not very useful, and Rest healing off status isn't much help when Sub blocks status and I have a cleric.
RestTalk isn't bad, because yes it does significantly increase your available Sheer Cold PP / ~12 Sheer Colds is more likely to get a few KOs than 8 Sheer Colds. PLus the "You're not fucked if your Cleric dies and they know Toxic" part. Cleric can also cure Sleep in a pinch if your Resting mon is forced out. Either way works, I kinda just built my random ass team around Sub abuse.

This one lol:

^ Scald or Psyshock / Iron Defense / Calm Mind or Amnesia / Slack Off or Rest is a Mega Slowbro set. Buffs defenses, is immune to critical hits, and tries to outlast everything. So they may of just looked up competitive Slowbro sets and that's probably among the first 4 things you'd find tbh. Shame, I wanted to see someone run an offensive one.

RestTalk isn't bad, because yes it does significantly increase your available Sheer Cold PP / ~12 Sheer Colds is more likely to get a few KOs than 8 Sheer Colds. PLus the "You're not fucked if your Cleric dies and they know Toxic" part. Cleric can also cure Sleep in a pinch if your Resting mon is forced out. Either way works, I kinda just built my random ass team around Sub abuse.
Oh duh wow. That set seems reasonable for Mega Slowbro at least, as you don't see many water immune mons in BSS. But in KC it just seems dum for Slowbro, with all the OHKO move users. Roar, Whirlwind, Clear Smog and Haze are much more common than in BSS as well, and there's two water immunities in Vapo and Parasect that wall mono water. There's also other tricky stuff. Opposing CM Slowbro with Scald and T-Wave are likely to win, Exeggutor takes a pittance from Psyshock without lots of boosts(especially if the Bro isn't investing in SpA,) and resists Scald(burn chance and Exegg's low SpD mean it is relatively dangerous tho-provided Bro has enough CM boosts to actually take grass STAB.) Other stuff that walls it fairly well depending on the move includes Venu and Magneton. You Zammy would also have a field day on it with Disable.

Yea, I did fine with RestTalk(I didn't get any losses in the comp, except one where my internet started acting up. I wasn't even losing, just disconnected me and counted it as a loss.) I had both Zapdos and Articuno, so lots of PP stall. I wanted to do Rest pTalk on Zapdos as well to make PP stall even more prevalent(coulda just run Rest over Roost, wouldn't have to switch to the cleric vs stuff that can only threaten through Toxic,) but I felt like I needed Defog and that wouldn't work well with RestTalk at all.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
How does one claim their dragonite? I apologize if this was already answered but 29 pages is a lot to look through for an answer.
They'll eventually send you a code on the global link website which you'll be able to use to claim your Dragonite. Not sure when exactly they'll send out the codes though, probably sometime after they finish tallying the rankings.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I knocked back 21 games, wish I could've done all 30 but I got busy doing something else Sunday evening. My first day I went a clean 10-0 and was feeling exceptionally good about myself. Day two, I went 6-4, all 4 losses being recorded against people with Zapdos (I learned the hard way that my team was exceptionally Zapdos-weak, having no concrete way to break through it), one of them being a Quiver Pass team where I got ripped to pieces by a Zapdos at only +1. I played another game after and won, so technically I was "1-0" on Sunday, but that's all I got in. I think I finished in the upper 1600s or something. I can't quite remember, but I know it had to be 1670 or 1680 something points. Maybe it would've been better if I did those remaining 9 matches, who knows?

This was the team I used, and as you can see, I really must've forgotten about Zapdos when I was teambuilding, because nothing I have wants to switch in on it. The one thing that can switch in (Jolteon) utterly fails to break through it. The two, maybe three mons that can break it all have issues switching in multiple times (or even once in Aerodactyl's case) and Zapdos an just switch out and let its teammates deal with them, whihc is pretty irritating. I went with Guts Machamp (and had a doozy of a time breeding it in BW) because I noticed my team was kinda weak to opposing Gengar with Will-O-Wisp, so I wanted to have some kinda way around that...and I think (or at least wish) I wanted to run Sleep Talk on Machamp, it would have definitely helped a lot more with Venusaur/Venomoth, some more problem mons I was weak to. Jolteon was really boring and standard but it was my own opposing Jolteon check, and it gave me more leverage against fast threats like Alakazam and Starmie. I was told so much about how defensive Clefable with Unaware was such a godsend in this format, so I decided to run with it and I was definitely impressed. I tacked on Heal Bell just to alleviate my weakness to Sleep users a bit, though it has other useful applications and I didn't really see much else worth running over it, unless I wanted to put Stealth Rock on it so Aerodactyl could use another coverage move. Speaking of, Hone Claws + Stealth Rock Aerodactyl has actually been surprisingly decent. While he doesn't always sweep every game, he has managed to clutch a few times by setting up his own hazards for the team. And the few instances where he was able to sweep, all that was needed was Stealth Rock and a simple +1 boost. CM T-Wave Slowbro is extremely annoying for everyone to face I've come to realize, and Slowbro has probably been the most consistent sweeper on my team. (In my very last game I played, I literally swept a dude's entire team 6-0 from turn 1 because he had nothing to stop Slowbro from setting up while paralyzing his team) Forgoing Water STAB didn't hurt too bad as many people have discovered in Kanto Classic, and with Slowbro + Clefable I can get a bulky paralysis core that can really cripple offensive mons for the rest of my team. Lastly, my favorite personal creation is bulky "stallbreaker" Gengar. I haven't seen anyone else use this set on PS or in-cartridge, so that's why I'm gonna just call it my own thing. Clear Smog is for those annoying sweeper Clefable sets, since the move ignores accuracy modifiers, removes boosts, and even hits Clefable for SE damage to boot. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp help keep things like Snorlax in check and generally annoy almost every physical Pokemon that finds itself slower than Gengar (and also gives me a 100% matchup against lead Golem).

All-in-all, 17-4 isn't too bad, and I wanna believe if I kept going I could have finished 23-7 or 22-8 or something. If people are interested in videos, I saved a couple as personal highlights from this competition:

2T7G-WWWW-WW3M-GRYP - This is my 10th battle from the first day against Fabricio from Argentina. If my first 9 battles were an easy walk in the park, this guy definitely made me realize I was gonna have to work if I was to go undefeated my first day, and he was a taste of how much steeper the difficulty slope was gonna be for Day Two. Be advised, this match kinda drags on, and the outcome is kinda unclear up until the late-game portion. But if you got some free time and some popcorn, you might enjoy it.

G24W-WWWW-WW3M-Y749 - This is my 20th battle, and this guy also gave me a run for my money with some highly inconveniencing sets. I was already running off some frustration from a 3-game losing streak that ended 2 games before this, so I was desperate to fight for this one. The battle seems like it can really go either way up until the mid-game portion, where a single crucial turn ends up deciding the match for one of us.

Due to real life and internet issues, I only managed to play 6 games which I won, but I'm a little upset as I believe I prepared a lot for this and didn't manage to actually play the games. Saw a lot of nostalgia mons and sets, stuff like Tauros and some Explosions mons, Clefable on 5 out of 6 teams (as expected), 4 Kangaskhans (which I did not expect). Seems like people were having a lot of fun in this thing, shame that I had to miss most of it...

This is what I used, if anyone is interested.

With 14wins and 6 losses I ended up with 1624 points at rank 1863.
Not too bad for my first tournament I think

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I guess that's what a rushed effort and 12-3 gets you. Like I said when I posted my team; I am still really disappointed I didn't get to play more because I feel I could have gone further. Again, Erebyssial topped the Australian scores. That dude needs to start posting here again imo

As for the comp; 32,220 participants is insane!! The biggest competition to date was the Battle of Hoenn at the start of ORAS which had ~44,000 people. In comparison, the next highest was the Pikachu Cup with 15,000, then the Generation Showdown with ~12,000, and no International Challenge (the VGC ones) has topped 10,000 (the most was the last one with around 9k, the rest have been between 5-7k). I hope TPCi take note of this and make more competitions with similar rulesets instead of these VGC clones.

As for usage stats, Dragonite being most used doesn't surprise me based on how many I saw, but Iron Head only on 17% of them..? Snorlax at 4th also doesn't surprise me, I didn't see heaps of them but he was easily one of the best in the meta so I assumed that people would use him. I would have thought that Machamp would finish higher, and no Magneton in the top 12 either. RestTalk didn't even make his top 10 moves, despite things like Tri Attack and Reflect getting in, lol. Even RestTalk on Articuno was low (13%). I think it's safe to say I achieved my usual goal of using a non-standard team for this thing...

I managed to get 8th in Australia for my first competition, so I'm quite happy! It would have been 5th if I hadn't played the last game (which I was going to win, but got disconnected on).

Ah well, I'm looking forward to the next competition like this regardless! :D

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Since the topic title says post your results who am I not to.

PGL KC picture.JPG

kanto classic rating.JPG

I finished my games 20-0 as of day two. I decided to finish strong and not play day 3, not that I could have even if I wanted to because I had to go out. Here's the team that I used.

kanto classic team.JPG

This team was actually a full One Punch Man theme team based around Machamp as One Punch Man. I'm disappointed that in the competition none of the names were shown but not much I can do about that. The team is meant to be balanced, having a switch in, check, or hard counter to most of the big threats in the meta game. I'll go through the mons and what they're meant to do.

SubRoost Articuno was meant to be Blizzard/Fubuki. Articuno was the team's answer to stall. Using Articuno I could win PP wars, timer stall, or fish for sheer cold hit and knock out their walls. The bulk invested in Articuno allowed me to beat virtually any special attacker or wall 1 v 1. Heck, the investment meant this Articuno wouldn't be OHKO'd by Jolteon or Zapdos which is really impressive. Big shout out to Theorymon, this is his Articuno from his giveaway thread and it put in soooooo much work. Definitely the MVP of my team. Also Sheer Cold looks super cool when it hits, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing the animation and hearing the freezing sound.

Starmie is Silverfang/Bang. I used a moderately bulky Starmie with 128 HP, 128 SpA, and 252 speed. Probably not the most optimal EV spread but this allowed Starmie to switch into any of Arcanine's attacks and not get 2HKO'd by the first attack and the following extreme speed. 128 SpA also allows it to OHKO Venomoth, or it would if I hadn't screwed up and put psyshock on it instead of psychic. Turns out my mistake actually helped me out since I only encountered one venomoth on the ladder and psyshock let me put a dent in Snorlax in a few matches. Recover was also extremely useful allowing me to get around sucker punch shenanigans from Nidoking and Golem and outplay them.

Machamp is One Punch Man! This mon gained its power through 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and a 10 kilometer run every day! That and you know, good breeding and EV training. Shhhh, that's not that important. Fairly standard set except for Toxic which was immensely helpful against Slowbro, Clefairy, and Zapdos. 68 speed to outspeed other champs and speed crept Clef, everything else in hp and attack.

Snorlax is Pig God. Basic Rest/Talk special wall set. Pursuit to trap and kill Alakazam and put a massive dent in retreating Starmie. Not so great against Gengar with taunt and wil o wisp but not horrible either. This monster is sooooo fat. It sponged hits like crazy and spread paralysis everywhere. Bit of an odd EV spread that someone else on this thread recommended and I tweaked a bit to take certain hits. 148 HP / 100 Atk / 88 Def / 168 SpDef / 4 Speed.

Nidoking is King. This thing was a total pain to breed. 3 different abilities, gender differences, and on top of that it had to be hexaflawless. It took 2 weeks but it was worth it! Never going to breed this thing again though. Rash, 132 Atk / 156 SpA / 220 Spe. Incredible hole puncher, no one expected mixed king and I scored tons of KOs with it due to the surprise factor. Poison jab to beat calm mind clef and hit Snorlax. Earth Power actually could 2HKO Slowbro with rocks up. Ice Beam smacked unsuspecting Dragonite and Zapdos, simply incredible what this set did for me.

Finally, we have Clefairy as Tatsumaki/Tornado. Incredible physical wall and rocker. This mon took hits super well and provided a great check for the ever present Dragonite. Not going to say too much more about this mon, you've probably all used it and faced off against it before. Basic spread, Bold 248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Speed to outspeed other clefs, champs, and snorlax.

Final notes, this team is kind of weak to Venusaur and OHKO moves. Venusaur is obnoxious because it can spread Leech Seed and Sleep around the team and can be difficult to get around if Nidoking and Articuno are taken out. I tested sturdy users on this team while playing on the ladder but found OHKO users to be too few and inconsistent for them to be of great use to me. I gambled and cut Magnezone out of the final version of the team and overall my team was a lot more consistent because of it. Luckily, I only faced 2-3 OHKO users on the ladder and only one of them actually managed to do anything useful with their OHKO pokemon. With lots of luck and practice, I managed to do pretty well overall. Sorry if this a bit too long and thanks for reading. This thread was a great help in preparing for this tournament and I had a blast reading all of your posts and stories about your own experiences.

I'm not sure how to post an image of my team, but I'll edit this post with it and my experience afterward.

Now that the rankings are posted, how do I get the serial code for Lance's Dragonite? I'm new to Global Link, and I can't find it for the life of me.

I'm not sure how to post an image of my team, but I'll edit this post with it and my experience afterward.

Now that the rankings are posted, how do I get the serial code for Lance's Dragonite? I'm new to Global Link, and I can't find it for the life of me.
To get the picture, go to Profile > Online Competitions > Competitive Entry History > Battle Box.

For the Dragonite code, make sure you are logged in then follow this link: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/pokemon/present/4044

:D

Untitled.png

For my 1st Battle Spot competition and going 19-3 overall, I don't think I did too shabby considering over 32,000 people entered Masters :]

Now I gotta figure out how to use Barrier Inner Focus Dragonite competitively >w>

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got in the top 9 in the US, top 67 overall. Not too bad considering the mistakes and hax I went through at the end! I'll post more later today.

Also, Apparently Lance's Dragonite always has Perfect HP, Def, SpA, and SpD, with Attack and Spe being random. I might have to Soft Reset one so I can test specially based Inner Focus Dragonite in Triples or something :P

I got 64th in the Junior League (out of 1,919), which I thought was amazing for my first competition!
Rating: 1669
Also, 8th in the USA!!
I'm looking forward to trying out VGC next.

Last edited:
I actually managed a 1628 rating even with the 2 nasty losses I suffered at the end. Possibly because they were both high ranked players. I'm a little surprised Cosmic Power was only on 15% of the Clefs in this tour while Stored Power was on 21%, but I guess that means it was featured on a few baton pass teams.

Makes since because if someone managed to quiver dance speed onto it, it was no stopping this thing as most poison types get blasted by Stored Power. This tour really made me appreciate the Dark and Steel typings.

Nope; this one was from Mexico.
Interesting. I haven't seen anyone I played get their ranking removed, so I guess I can assume these were from previous gens or something.

For some reason my results for the competition aren't displaying at all (ranking, total points, W-L ratio), which is weird since it shows all the battles I participated in. Any advice on this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)