Research Does anyone in the world play any Pokemon game older than Pokemon sword and shield?

Do you still play any Generation VII Pokemon games or older?

• Total voters
I stopped after LGPE because I did not like them at all and because I'm one of those Dexcut fanatics. All I play are the older games! I still have fun. I hope everyone playing any Pokemon game is having fun too.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sadly I still have many Pokemon in my UM save I wish to transfer to Home but Bank keeps crashing everytime I load it, as does the Festival Plaza, despite all my internet and shit being fine. Very sad.

i have Let's Go! Pikachu, Pokemon Quest, Pokemon Unite (idk why they capitalize it its annoying), Pokemon Cafe Remix, and my older brother plays Pokemon Conquest on an emulator and used to play Pokemon Black on a DS before something happened

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I just rediscovered this thread upon looking into what seems to be a sort of mini-renaissance of Pokémon Black & White 2 that I’ve noticed going on right now. From what I can tell, people enjoy having more options of content in their games. After all, who wouldn’t? B2W2 probably have some of the most optional content out of any games in the core series, but in spite of this… I’m just going to say it, seeing more people I recognize playing these games again hasn’t really changed my opinions.

The problems with older Pokémon games are threefold. First, accessibility. A lot of what made the older games fun for so many people was that there were more options for multiplayer content. As a game gets older, it becomes harder to access, however, which in turn means less people would be around to join in the fun. This is a problem I’ve experienced myself with a few other games, most notably Mario Kart Wii, as I wasn’t able to play on the official Nintendo WFC servers growing up. The second issue is about repetition. Unless you’re doing some kind of custom challenge run, I don’t have any reasons to go back to playing something I already have when I can just watch other people online play these games instead. In watching other people play, it became evident to me that pretty much none of the core series Pokémon games have a deliberate reason why someone would go back and start a new playthrough when my limited resource called time could be spent playing something new instead.

The third problem is what really gets me, though, and that’s how newer games still have their own original side content for newer fans. It’s just not the same side content most of us grew up with. I for one am fine with leaving the glory days of Nintendo WFC in the past if we can let newer fans have their own gameplay features to hold onto as well. So what if there’s no Battle Frontier, no Pokémon Contests, or whatever you enjoy? Every newly Pokémon game (particularly with new regions) has always had cut features from the ones that came before it. With the Nintendo Switch era (Gens 8-9), we might not agree with the lack of returning content, but if that’s what it takes to let newer fans have their own memories in place of us selfishly asking for redundant gameplay features (and that’s assuming remakes don’t exist, too) that won’t be well received anyways… that’s a price I’m willing to pay.

In conclusion: while I have replayed older Pokémon games on occasion, there’s a long list of reasons why I’ve lost interest in doing so over the past few years than I have gained interest, even in spite of popular features from older games not returning more often than not. If people want to have fun revisiting the past together, that’s completely fine by me. But in a day and age where my time and money is limited and I have my own smaller gripes with games like Black & White 2 anyways… you can count me out of it unless otherwise specified.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)