Implemented Differentiate multiple time circuit tour winners by hovering over ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
my idea is just having it say "is a 4-time former tournament circuit champion" or something along the lines instead of this
1679983948371.png

the premise behind it is giving people like pohjis the credit they deserve for winning multiple circuits instead of it just being displayed as 1 when the year ends.

if you all need somebody to keep track of who won every circuit i can do that myself.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
^ from a backend pov every single variant needs its own usergroup, which adds the required combination of trophy sprite + hovertext to someone's postbit. i.e.:

(ignore the old usergroups from before we did the n winner thing that i never deleted)

and so on. full differentiation through hovertexts (e.g. "Won SPL IV, SPL VII, and SPL IX") is unmanageable from a backend pov since the number of permutations is simply not possible to account for from a sheer mathematical pov; the only way to actually be specific on which tournament / circuit everyone won is a full unstacking of alum trophies/ribbons, e.g. entirely separate SPL alum trophies for SPL IV, SPL VII, and SPL IX, which has been rejected before for team tours at least. as much as i would love to see pohjis's postbit explode with unstacked alum ribbons.

the proposal in the OP is possible though; it would work p much the same way as it currently does for team tour alums. e.g. if say raiders win this year's SPL, McM would be given the active SPL winner trophy on top of the one-time alum he already has, and next year his one-time alum gets incremented to a two-time alum (where he also keeps the active one if he manages to defend his title). there's no real difference between this and how ribbon alums would work, and from a backend pov this is something i can get in place ahead of time at the beginning of every year; i just need to make sure i have a usergroup for every n-time winner, plus an extra one on top of the max one so that current record champs can safely get their number incremented. e.g. for SPL i have usergroups up to four-time former champ, since no one has more than 3 rings at this time, so even a 3-time former champ could get theirs upgraded right after the tour without issue. for obvious pohjis reasons it would be a bit more difficult to handle for ribbons but it's nothing i can't deal with.

in general i can make whatever work that doesn't leave us with an insane number of usergroups and actually allows me to have the usergroups in place ahead of time (basically i will not make usergroups tailored to specific users that i can only set up after the tours they win); obv it's highkey lame if ppl need to wait on getting their trophies after the tour ends, which past trophy maintainers used to get (undeserved ofc! be nice to volunteers plz) shit for but ive been able to avoid since i took over trophy management, and i do take pride in making sure this small bit of tours that im responsible for runs well. the only thing id like to add for this case in particular is that id appreciate if this system wasn't overhauled multiple times; i.e. if the decision rn is to go with a flat n-time former circuit champion and this is later split up into n-time former smogon metagame circuit champion + n-time past generation circuit champion, then id have to redo things pretty much entirely, which would be annoying since it's gonna be more work than it looks like as is. my personal recommendation would be to split up the alums according to different ribbon colours similarly to team tour trophies fwiw since it makes usergroup management easier, but ofc this is not my decision to make in the end and i can be sure to sort out w/e if this gets approved.

Larry

formerly Leru
is a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
my idea is just having it say "is a 4-time former tournament circuit champion" or something along the lines instead of this
I think implementing this is a great idea.
i'm not sure how to do this without making it too clunky but it'd also be nice to know which tournament circuits that Pohjis has won by hovering as well, or which year(s) a "Past SPL Champion" won their trophy, etc.
Instead of doing this, we could make a second hall of fame dedicated to ribbons. That would solve the usergroup issue because you can look up who won which ribbon in the hall of fame instead.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Instead of doing this, we could make a second hall of fame dedicated to ribbons. That would solve the usergroup issue because you can look up who won which ribbon in the hall of fame instead.
I'm the one handling the HoF currently, the thread would need some slight adjusting but could in theory host Ribbons, and/or a new thread could be made for ribbons. Ribbons would likely complicate the ordering system in the trophy HoF, so keeping them distinct might be the right play, be that a new post or a thread. It's definitely possible to make a Ribbon HoF if that would help with providing some distinction for folks who've got multiple ribbons under their Alumni ribbon, I'd be willing to maintain that as well. Just a matter of what the TDs and the community wants - when I was given the HoF, the discussion of Ribbons being integrated was not brought up.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
This has been implemented. Alumn ribbons have been split by circuit type (Past Generation Circuits
, Smogon Metagame Circuits
, and Other Circuits
) with a special tinted version for each, courtesy of Quite Quiet, and have been added to the badgesets of past winners. Hovering over each will indicate how many times a person has won that type of circuit.

For detailed records of past circuit winners, please check out the Circuit Hall of Fame! The winners for every circuit that has awarded a ribbon are listed, along with the year of their win(s) and which circuits they've won.

A massive thank you to Lady Salamence for hosting and working on creating the new ribbon hall of fame, 3d for their assistance in compiling a list of winners, and Lumari for implementation of the alumn ribbons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)