Gen 6 Deer Squad [ORAS Hackmons] [Peaked #1 / 93.8% GXE / 55-0]

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:xy/xerneas: :xy/xerneas: :xy/xerneas: :xy/xerneas: :xy/giratina: :xy/arceus:

Deer Squad

Introduction
Spam teams come naturally to me. I've been interested in them nearly ever since I started playing Hackmons. While they are quite popular, however, most spam teams either don't provide enough defensive utility or need too many partners to viably be run - something that eats into the spirit of spamming nearly a whole team of Pokemon.

What I realized over the course of creating spam teams with various Pokemon was that these qualities were almost necessary:

- The spammed Pokemon must have a good Wonder Guard user - it must have sufficient bulk, offenses, or Speed; it must also have a good typing to work around with.
- It must have good synergy with many top Pokemon, such as Chansey, Giratina, and good Wonder Guards like Arceus.
- It must be able to perform a variety of roles well, such as hitting hard with Huge Power, being an effective Mold Breaker user, and even neutering the opponent with Prankster.
- Imposter-proofing the Pokemon must be manageable.

It's difficult to find a Pokemon that has these four prerequisites; however, I found one that performs well in these regards with Xerneas. It has relatively good bulk, a great typing, good offensive stats, and great synergy with metagame titans in Giratina and Arceus. And so I began to teambuild.

Teambuilding Process

:xerneas:
Like with all teams, I began with a single set. Wonder Guard Pokemon are necessary in Pure Hackmons to combat opposing No Guards; due to this, Wonder Guard Xerneas was a must on my team (I originally planned for five Xerneas to be on the team).

:xerneas: :xerneas:

Now, offensive Pokemon are also necessary for a healthy team, as pressuring opposing walls is necessary to make progress. -Ate Pokemon are monsters in Gen 6 Hackmons due to there being an EV limit, a relative lack of Poison-types, and an abundance of Pokemon that Fairy hits supereffectively, such as Dragon-types and Mega Mewtwo X. Pixilate Xerneas is an often slept-on -Ate user that manages to pressure the opposing team, while still manages to switch in easily due to its bulk.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas:
Obviously, even with Pixilate, opposing Wonder Guard Pokemon still pose a problem - no one Pokemon can hit every Wonder Guard in Gen 6 Hackmons without the help of a special Ability. Mold Breaker Xerneas fit into the team quite well, and with its ability to setup and hit hard all in one, it proved to be a scary sweeper.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas:
And now what do we need? Another offensive Pokemon! Huge Power Xerneas is not a set one encounters ordinarily, but handling it can prove a daunting task. With the right coverage it can rip through opposing Wonder Guard cores, while still being easily Imposter-proofed by the user's own Wonder Guard.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas:
One thing I lacked at this point was the ability to handle opposing setup sweepers; therefore a countermeasure was necessary. Prankster was the perfect Ability for this; a fully invested Xerneas can stomach surprisingly strong hits. In addition, even with uninvested Xerneas can provide a degree of offensive pressure against some frailer offensive Pokemon, especially Shell Smash users.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :swampert-mega:
Sadly, a team with six Xerneas just isn't viable - it'd have far too many problems to perform well against competent players. What I needed at this stage was another Wonder Guard Pokemon, for opposing No Guard Pokemon with Gastro Acid to bypass Wonder Guard. Mega Swampert seemed like a good choice at the time, as it's a Wonder Guard that handles opposing Mold Breaker Primal Groudon relatively well (read: doesn't always get obliterated in three turns or less). This is what I consider my first draft of this team; this is the version that I began laddering with.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :giratina: :arceus:
However, the team at this point had many issues. Despite there being a Mega Swampert, Primal Groudon was still extremely oppressive; there wasn't much I could do in the teambuilder to handle it, as well as other threats like Mega Gengar and the Mega Mewtwos. Unfortunately I had to remove the Prankster Xerneas and replace it with Prankster Giratina; there was no other way to adequately prepare for Primal Groudon. While this ate into the spirit of spamming a single Pokemon, on the flipside, this diversified my options for the second Wonder Guard on the team. I changed Mega Swampert to Arceus to better prepare for Freeze-Dry users and mixed Pokemon.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :arceus: :chansey:
The problem with the team now was that, even with Giratina, Mold Breaker Primal Groudon using Dark Void was a huge problem; I concluded that defensively checking it was all but impossible. So for a little while, I tried using Choice Scarf Imposter Chansey to offensively pressure the opposing team after an offensive Pokemon sets up and KOs something.

However, after trying Chansey out I concluded that it wasn't really worth it, as it wasn't particularly useful against teams without a Primal Groudon. Consequently I reversed the previous changes, and added back Giratina.

(There were many, many changes in EVs and movesets for the Xerneas that I won't go over.)

Achievements and Proof

I used this team in several roomtours (it proved notoriously difficult to counter-team), and laddered with it on an alt to #1 on the ladder, with 1806 Elo and a 93.8% GXE.

For all the skeptics out there, here's proof that I went as far as I did:

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.26.21 PM.png

The team also had a large part in the decision to raise Xerneas' rank on the VR.

The Team

:xy/xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Iron Plate
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Lava Plume
- Moonblast
- Judgment

What differentiates Xerneas from otherwise superior Wonder Guards, like Mega Audino, is its ability to offensively pressure opposing switch-ins despite the lack of an Ability assisting it in this regard. Shell Smash is for Xerneas to increase its offensive capabilities to absurdly high levels in just one or two turns, allowing it to rip through even resists if things get out of hand for the opponent. Lava Plume hits Steel-type switch-ins like Mega Steelix, Mega Scizor, and Mega Aggron supereffectively, and threatens a burn in longer games. Moonblast is a powerful STAB move that, although it isn't absolutely necessary, helps Xerneas force a multitude of opposing Pokemon out. Judgment, although it may seem like a weird choice, is useful in its own way, allowing Xerneas to take Imposter Chansey down safely, and to damage the omnipresent Mega Audino (it OHKOes after one Shell Smash). The EVs allow Xerneas to outspeed Imposter Pokemon Transformed into Mold Breaker Xerneas, which in turn outspeeds opposing Adamant Primal Groudon; carrying an Iron Plate allows Judgment to become Steel-type, and therefore hit Wonder Guard Fairy-types and Imposter Chansey.

:xerneas: | :xy/xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed

- V-Create
- Freeze-Dry

As mentioned before, Pixilate users can hit a wide section of the metagame for significant damage, making Xerneas threatening. Fake Out + Extreme Speed, together, can KO opposing No Guard Deoxys-S; this makes Pixilate Xerneas a great lead. It also hits common Dragon-types, occasional Dark-types, and Mega Mewtwo X supereffectively, OHKOing the likes of Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo X while dealing enough damage to Giratina that it doesn't want to stay in. V-Create is a great coverage option that not only hits opposing Steel-types and the occasional Mega Venusaur, but also weakens opposing Imposter users when coming in on Xerneas. Freeze-Dry nearly OHKOes Mega Swampert and base Gyarados, while also helping to chip opposing Primal Kyogre. The EV spread used creeps the standard 253 Speed Gyarados (and most other Pokemon creeping for it), while maximizing Xerneas' physical bulk; Pixie Plate maximizes Xerneas' offensive presence while still allowing it to switch moves and switch in easily.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xy/xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Shell Smash

- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Xerneas' versatility does not disappoint; even Mold Breaker sets have proved to be effective. As with most other Mold Breaker Pokemon, Xerneas runs disruption in Spore; Pokemon that commonly run Safety Goggles generally don't want to get hit by Moonblast or Earth Power. Shell Smash is the premier boosting move in the metagame, allowing Xerneas to devastate opposing teams after just one or two Shell Smashes. Moonblast is Xerneas' STAB move of choice, dealing significant damage to even resists in conjunction with Shell Smash. Ground-type attacks complement Fairy-type ones very well, hitting opposing Steel- and Fire-types supereffectively; Earth Power OHKOes offensive Primal Groudon even at +1. The EVs speedcreep opposing Adamant Primal Groudon, with one extra speed point to anticipate opposing creeped Pokemon; Safety Goggles prevent opposing defensive Pokemon from reliably putting Xerneas to sleep with Spore, as well as improving the Imposter matchup.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xy/xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Thousand Arrows
- Knock Off

Sometimes Pixilate and Mold Breaker just aren't enough; Huge Power turns common 2HKOs into OHKOs, making Xerneas a whole lot scarier. Play Rough is Xerneas' STAB move of choice, OHKOing opposing Giratina if it's slightly chipped; needless to say it also OHKOes every other Fairy-weak Pokemon. Close Combat OHKOes Wonder Guard Arceus, with otherwise the team has difficulty dealing with. Thousand Arrows deals with numerous Air Balloon Pokemon on the ladder, as well as providing a way to threaten Primal Groudon; note that it's particularly scary if the opponent doesn't know which Xerneas is on the field, as then Groudon is taking a risk by coming in. Knock Off provides item removal, as well as a way to damage otherwise problematic Wonder Guard Psychic-types like Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S, both of which are decently commonly used among experienced players. Choice Scarf is used to net surprise KOs against faster offensive Pokemon such as Deoxys-A, the Mega Mewtwos, and even Electrode; the speed investment allows Xerneas to outspeed fully-invested base-150 speed Pokemon with Choice Scarf.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xy/giratina: | :arceus:

Giratina @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Encore
- Curse
- Roost

Giratina is the most useful Pokemon in the metagame, period. Its ability to check the majority of physical threats, including those with no other reliable defensive checks like Primal Groudon and Mega Mewtwo X. Will-O-Wisp complements Giratina's titanic bulk, completely neutering all strong physical attackers bar Primal Groudon; in longer games it can also help chip opposing defensive Pokemon. Encore helps force out opposing setup sweepers; a well-played Encore can help Giratina deal with even Pokemon it's weak to, like Mega Gengar and Mega Latios. Curse provides a way to passively damage the opponent, which is especially useful given offensive Pokemon tend not to have a recovery move. Roost is necessary reliable recovery that allows Giratina to check opposing physical Pokemon continuously. The EV spread used maximizes Giratina's physical bulk while ensuring that Giratina outspeed opposing Giratina, and is able to force it out with Encore; Safety Goggles makes it easier for Giratina to come in against Spore users.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :xy/arceus:

Arceus @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Arceus works seamlessly with Xerneas, as it's relatively fast, incredibly versatile, and doesn't share any common weaknesses; the set I used is fairly standard. Hazard removal is paramount in Hackmons, as otherwise teams with a defensive backbone can get worn down in longer games. Wish is an interesting choice, capitalizing on Arceus' relatively high base HP to aid its teammates. Being a cleric is beneficial, as Xerneas and Giratina generally dislike getting statused, and Stealth Rock provides a way to passively damage opposing Pokemon when the rest of the team forces switches.

Checks and Counters

There are checks and counters to every team. This is even more so the case for spam teams, as Pokemon that do well against the Pokemon spammed often have a significantly easier time breaking through the team's defensive core.

:groudon-primal: - This Pokemon is just insane. Giratina may be a "reliable" check to it, but Dark Void variants can set Giratina to sleep, and if the opponent gets a lucky 3-turn sleep, then there isn't much one can do to stop it. If the Pixilate Xerneas is fainted or a boosted Groudon is behind a Substitute, and Giratina has fainted or is asleep, then the game is all but over.

:chansey: - Imposter Chansey is very difficult to stop if it's boosted and has Transformed into Mold Breaker Xerneas. Wonder Guard Xerneas can take care of it in an emergency, but only if Chansey doesn't use Spore and is only boosted once, and if the Wonder Guard Xerneas is healthy. Playing around Chansey is the player's best bet.

:diancie-mega: - Mega Diancie outspeeds Xerneas, and so it can safely use Fake Out + Extreme Speed; consequently the user must switch to Wonder Guard Xerneas. Be careful though - I've seen a couple of Turboblaze Mega Diancies that were quite difficult to stop after the early game.

:beedrill-mega: :mewtwo-mega-x: :metagross-mega: - Poison- and Steel-type coverage, especially on Pokemon with Huge Power, will make it difficult for the user to play safely. However, they're manageable with careful playing and maneuvering around with the Choice Scarf Xerneas.

:rayquaza-mega: - Choiced Mold Breaker Mega Rayquaza can absolutely dent switch-ins, OHKOing or nearly OHKOing Xerneas and dealing significant damage to Giratina, which won't want to come in on an unscouted Rayquaza due to the possibility of it using Spacial Rend. However, after safely getting Xerneas in most of the time Rayquaza is forced out.

Replays

Looking at replays of the team being used helps one understand how it works more closely, especially if they plan to use it themselves.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.09.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.11.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.12.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.13.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.14.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.16.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.17.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.20.20 PM.png

Conclusion

Xerneas is an amazingly versatile Pokemon - from this experience I was impressed by just how much it could do. What's also amazing is the balance that Gen 6 Hackmons has, that enables one to create creative teams - there are few tiers where you can do so well when creating fun teams to try out. I hope that others aren't constrained to building "normal" Hackmons teams, and instead try to have fun building as wacky of a team as possible (as long as it works, of course).

Even though Gen 6 is long gone (I didn't even know about PS back then!), ORAS Hackmons is a tier worth playing, and I hope you give it a try if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Shay's Fate

formerly La fusión más 7u7
Good old MBouchon using a spam team, i like it and its really good, my sand team got destroyed, i only won when using an old team that used Iron Plate Chansey, but im not a really good player, spam teams tend to be good in general, i used CFZ spam team in gen 7 and well, kinda destroys, you used PDon spam in the past and it was good, same with Xern spam, people tend to prepare for 1 of X maybe even 2 or 3 but, 4 or more? The team has flaws, every spam teams has them, the main ones beeing PDon, Huge Power Steel/Poison attacks and Iron Plate Chansey, that said the team is really good and im sure im going to see people using it, also, try MMY spam, that thing can work

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
I tried the final version of this team and went 55-0 with it before losing to Ransei's sample.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 4.07.16 PM.png

Also from what I've heard Xerneas usage has rose dramatically recently; so have its checks. I've even seen a few other (competent) spam teams when laddering. Glad to see that the meta's changing :]

:xy/xerneas: :xy/xerneas: :xy/xerneas: :xy/xerneas: :xy/giratina: :xy/arceus:

Deer Squad

Introduction
Spam teams come naturally to me. I've been interested in them nearly ever since I started playing Hackmons. While they are quite popular, however, most spam teams either don't provide enough defensive utility or need too many partners to viably be run - something that eats into the spirit of spamming nearly a whole team of Pokemon.

What I realized over the course of creating spam teams with various Pokemon was that these qualities were almost necessary:

- The spammed Pokemon must have a good Wonder Guard user - it must have sufficient bulk, offenses, or Speed; it must also have a good typing to work around with.
- It must have good synergy with many top Pokemon, such as Chansey, Giratina, and good Wonder Guards like Arceus.
- It must be able to perform a variety of roles well, such as hitting hard with Huge Power, being an effective Mold Breaker user, and even neutering the opponent with Prankster.
- Imposter-proofing the Pokemon must be manageable.

It's difficult to find a Pokemon that has these four prerequisites; however, I found one that performs well in these regards with Xerneas. It has relatively good bulk, a great typing, good offensive stats, and great synergy with metagame titans in Giratina and Arceus. And so I began to teambuild.

Teambuilding Process

:xerneas:
Like with all teams, I began with a single set. Wonder Guard Pokemon are necessary in Pure Hackmons to combat opposing No Guards; due to this, Wonder Guard Xerneas was a must on my team (I originally planned for five Xerneas to be on the team).

:xerneas: :xerneas:

Now, offensive Pokemon are also necessary for a healthy team, as pressuring opposing walls is necessary to make progress. -Ate Pokemon are monsters in Gen 6 Hackmons due to there being an EV limit, a relative lack of Poison-types, and an abundance of Pokemon that Fairy hits supereffectively, such as Dragon-types and Mega Mewtwo X. Pixilate Xerneas is an often slept-on -Ate user that manages to pressure the opposing team, while still manages to switch in easily due to its bulk.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas:
Obviously, even with Pixilate, opposing Wonder Guard Pokemon still pose a problem - no one Pokemon can hit every Wonder Guard in Gen 6 Hackmons without the help of a special Ability. Mold Breaker Xerneas fit into the team quite well, and with its ability to setup and hit hard all in one, it proved to be a scary sweeper.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas:
And now what do we need? Another offensive Pokemon! Huge Power Xerneas is not a set one encounters ordinarily, but handling it can prove a daunting task. With the right coverage it can rip through opposing Wonder Guard cores, while still being easily Imposter-proofed by the user's own Wonder Guard.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas:
One thing I lacked at this point was the ability to handle opposing setup sweepers; therefore a countermeasure was necessary. Prankster was the perfect Ability for this; a fully invested Xerneas can stomach surprisingly strong hits. In addition, even with uninvested Xerneas can provide a degree of offensive pressure against some frailer offensive Pokemon, especially Shell Smash users.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :swampert-mega:
Sadly, a team with six Xerneas just isn't viable - it'd have far too many problems to perform well against competent players. What I needed at this stage was another Wonder Guard Pokemon, for opposing No Guard Pokemon with Gastro Acid to bypass Wonder Guard. Mega Swampert seemed like a good choice at the time, as it's a Wonder Guard that handles opposing Mold Breaker Primal Groudon relatively well (read: doesn't always get obliterated in three turns or less). This is what I consider my first draft of this team; this is the version that I began laddering with.

However, the team at this point had many issues. Despite there being a Mega Swampert, Primal Groudon was still extremely oppressive; there wasn't much I could do in the teambuilder to handle it, as well as other threats like Mega Gengar and the Mega Mewtwos. Unfortunately I had to remove the Prankster Xerneas and replace it with Prankster Giratina; there was no other way to adequately prepare for Primal Groudon. While this ate into the spirit of spamming a single Pokemon, on the flipside, this diversified my options for the second Wonder Guard on the team. I changed Mega Swampert to Arceus to better prepare for Freeze-Dry users and mixed Pokemon.

:xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :xerneas: :arceus: :chansey:
The problem with the team now was that, even with Giratina, Mold Breaker Primal Groudon using Dark Void was a huge problem; I concluded that defensively checking it was all but impossible. So for a little while, I tried using Choice Scarf Imposter Chansey to offensively pressure the opposing team after an offensive Pokemon sets up and KOs something.

However, after trying Chansey out I concluded that it wasn't really worth it, as it wasn't particularly useful against teams without a Primal Groudon. Consequently I reversed the previous changes, and added back Giratina.

(There were many, many changes in EVs and movesets for the Xerneas that I won't go over.)

Achievements and Proof

I used this team in several roomtours (it proved notoriously difficult to counter-team), and laddered with it on an alt to #1 on the ladder, with 1806 Elo and a 93.8% GXE.

For all the skeptics out there, here's proof that I went as far as I did:

The team also had a large part in the decision to raise Xerneas' rank on the VR.

The Team

:xy/xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Lava Plume
- Moonblast
- Judgment

What differentiates Xerneas from otherwise superior Wonder Guards, like Mega Audino, is its ability to offensively pressure opposing switch-ins despite the lack of an Ability assisting it in this regard. Shell Smash is for Xerneas to increase its offensive capabilities to absurdly high levels in just one or two turns, allowing it to rip through even resists if things get out of hand for the opponent. Lava Plume hits Steel-type switch-ins like Mega Steelix, Mega Scizor, and Mega Aggron supereffectively, and threatens a burn in longer games. Moonblast is a powerful STAB move that, although it isn't absolutely necessary, helps Xerneas force a multitude of opposing Pokemon out. Judgment, although it may seem like a weird choice, is useful in its own way, allowing Xerneas to take Imposter Chansey down safely, and to damage the omnipresent Mega Audino (it OHKOes after one Shell Smash). The EVs allow Xerneas to outspeed Imposter Pokemon Transformed into Mold Breaker Xerneas, which in turn outspeeds opposing Adamant Primal Groudon; carrying an Iron Plate allows Judgment to become Steel-type, and therefore hit Wonder Guard Fairy-types and Imposter Chansey.

:xerneas: | :xy/xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed

- V-Create
- Freeze-Dry

As mentioned before, Pixilate users can hit a wide section of the metagame for significant damage, making Xerneas threatening. Fake Out + Extreme Speed, together, can KO opposing No Guard Deoxys-S; this makes Pixilate Xerneas a great lead. It also hits common Dragon-types, occasional Dark-types, and Mega Mewtwo X supereffectively, OHKOing the likes of Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo X while dealing enough damage to Giratina that it doesn't want to stay in. V-Create is a great coverage option that not only hits opposing Steel-types and the occasional Mega Venusaur, but also weakens opposing Imposter users when coming in on Xerneas. Freeze-Dry nearly OHKOes Mega Swampert and base Gyarados, while also helping to chip opposing Primal Kyogre. The EV spread used creeps the standard 253 Speed Gyarados (and most other Pokemon creeping for it), while maximizing Xerneas' physical bulk; Pixie Plate maximizes Xerneas' offensive presence while still allowing it to switch moves and switch in easily.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xy/xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash

- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Xerneas' versatility does not disappoint; even Mold Breaker sets have proved to be effective. As with most other Mold Breaker Pokemon, Xerneas runs disruption in Spore; Pokemon that commonly run Safety Goggles generally don't want to get hit by Moonblast or Earth Power. Shell Smash is the premier boosting move in the metagame, allowing Xerneas to devastate opposing teams after just one or two Shell Smashes. Moonblast is Xerneas' STAB move of choice, dealing significant damage to even resists in conjunction with Shell Smash. Ground-type attacks complement Fairy-type ones very well, hitting opposing Steel- and Fire-types supereffectively; Earth Power OHKOes offensive Primal Groudon even at +1. The EVs speedcreep opposing Adamant Primal Groudon, with one extra speed point to anticipate opposing creeped Pokemon; Safety Goggles prevent opposing defensive Pokemon from reliably putting Xerneas to sleep with Spore, as well as improving the Imposter matchup.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xy/xerneas: | :giratina: | :arceus:

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Thousand Arrows
- Knock Off

Sometimes Pixilate and Mold Breaker just aren't enough; Huge Power turns common 2HKOs into OHKOs, making Xerneas a whole lot scarier. Play Rough is Xerneas' STAB move of choice, OHKOing opposing Giratina if it's slightly chipped; needless to say it also OHKOes every other Fairy-weak Pokemon. Close Combat OHKOes Wonder Guard Arceus, with otherwise the team has difficulty dealing with. Thousand Arrows deals with numerous Air Balloon Pokemon on the ladder, as well as providing a way to threaten Primal Groudon; note that it's particularly scary if the opponent doesn't know which Xerneas is on the field, as then Groudon is taking a risk by coming in. Knock Off provides item removal, as well as a way to damage otherwise problematic Wonder Guard Psychic-types like Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S, both of which are decently commonly used among experienced players. Choice Scarf is used to net surprise KOs against faster offensive Pokemon such as Deoxys-A, the Mega Mewtwos, and even Electrode; the speed investment allows Xerneas to outspeed fully-invested base-150 speed Pokemon with Choice Scarf.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xy/giratina: | :arceus:

Giratina @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Encore
- Curse
- Roost

Giratina is the most useful Pokemon in the metagame, period. Its ability to check the majority of physical threats, including those with no other reliable defensive checks like Primal Groudon and Mega Mewtwo X. Will-O-Wisp complements Giratina's titanic bulk, completely neutering all strong physical attackers bar Primal Groudon; in longer games it can also help chip opposing defensive Pokemon. Encore helps force out opposing setup sweepers; a well-played Encore can help Giratina deal with even Pokemon it's weak to, like Mega Gengar and Mega Latios. Curse provides a way to passively damage the opponent, which is especially useful given offensive Pokemon tend not to have a recovery move. Roost is necessary reliable recovery that allows Giratina to check opposing physical Pokemon continuously. The EV spread used maximizes Giratina's physical bulk while ensuring that Giratina outspeed opposing Giratina, and is able to force it out with Encore; Safety Goggles makes it easier for Giratina to come in against Spore users.

:xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :xerneas: | :giratina: | :xy/arceus:

Arceus @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Arceus works seamlessly with Xerneas, as it's relatively fast, incredibly versatile, and doesn't share any common weaknesses; the set I used is fairly standard. Hazard removal is paramount in Hackmons, as otherwise teams with a defensive backbone can get worn down in longer games. Wish is an interesting choice, capitalizing on Arceus' relatively high base HP to aid its teammates. Being a cleric is beneficial, as Xerneas and Giratina generally dislike getting statused, and Stealth Rock provides a way to passively damage opposing Pokemon when the rest of the team forces switches.

Checks and Counters

There are checks and counters to every team. This is even more so the case for spam teams, as Pokemon that do well against the Pokemon spammed often have a significantly easier time breaking through the team's defensive core.

:groudon-primal: - This Pokemon is just insane. Giratina may be a "reliable" check to it, but Dark Void variants can set Giratina to sleep, and if the opponent gets a lucky 3-turn sleep, then there isn't much one can do to stop it. If the Pixilate Xerneas is fainted or a boosted Groudon is behind a Substitute, and Giratina has fainted or is asleep, then the game is all but over.

:chansey: - Imposter Chansey is very difficult to stop if it's boosted and has Transformed into Mold Breaker Xerneas. Wonder Guard Xerneas can take care of it in an emergency, but only if Chansey doesn't use Spore and is only boosted once, and if the Wonder Guard Xerneas is healthy. Playing around Chansey is the player's best bet.

:diancie-mega: - Mega Diancie outspeeds Xerneas, and so it can safely use Fake Out + Extreme Speed; consequently the user must switch to Wonder Guard Xerneas. Be careful though - I've seen a couple of Turboblaze Mega Diancies that were quite difficult to stop after the early game.

:beedrill-mega: :mewtwo-mega-x: :metagross-mega: - Poison- and Steel-type coverage, especially on Pokemon with Huge Power, will make it difficult for the user to play safely. However, they're manageable with careful playing and maneuvering around with the Choice Scarf Xerneas.

:rayquaza-mega: - Choiced Mold Breaker Mega Rayquaza can absolutely dent switch-ins, OHKOing or nearly OHKOing Xerneas and dealing significant damage to Giratina, which won't want to come in on an unscouted Rayquaza due to the possibility of it using Spacial Rend. However, after safely getting Xerneas in most of the time Rayquaza is forced out.

Replays

Looking at replays of the team being used helps one understand how it works more closely, especially if they plan to use it themselves.
Xerneas is an amazingly versatile Pokemon - from this experience I was impressed by just how much it could do. What's also amazing is the balance that Gen 6 Hackmons has, that enables one to create creative teams - there are few tiers where you can do so well when creating fun teams to try out. I hope that others aren't constrained to building "normal" Hackmons teams, and instead try to have fun building as wacky of a team as possible (as long as it works, of course).

Even though Gen 6 is long gone (I didn't even know about PS back then!), ORAS Hackmons is a tier worth playing, and I hope you give it a try if you haven't already.

Top team! The best team I have ever used and it's fun but I would like to change the mold breaker xeeneas I want to change it because it's kinda weak from the other team member but I don't know anything to change it into so can anyone help with that?, aside that the team is very good and I would recommend it to use

aerobee

Pure Hackmons
Top team! The best team I have ever used and it's fun but I would like to change the mold breaker xeeneas I want to change it because it's kinda weak from the other team member but I don't know anything to change it into so can anyone help with that?, aside that the team is very good and I would recommend it to use
Hey glad you like the team, didn't realize someone replied until now. I haven't experimented with Xerneas spam for a long time now so this is theoretical but if I were to replace Mold Breaker Xerneas I would probably run one of No Guard/Magic Bounce instead. No Guard Xerneas would round out the team's coverage core in Wonder Guard and Huge Power Xerneas (and grant an additional layer of speed control if running Choice Scarf, giving Huge Power Xerneas the freedom to run a different item), and Magic Bounce would give opposing Parting Shot, Prankster, and common Taunt users a harder time while potentially providing either Substitute + Baton Pass or Aromatherapy/Whirlwind support, freeing up moveslots for Arceus. One could also conceivably replace it with an Imposter, Prankster, or second Wonder Guard Xerneas, but I don't find these options as appealing.

There's an updated (albeit still >year old) version of this team that also happens to be a sample btw: https://pokepast.es/8922b10ecd0d22f0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)