Dark Horse Project v 2.0 (see Post #83)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the next Dead Horse isnt up yet, I sugest Malamar or Cinccino. Those mons deserve some use.
Malamar is kind of iffy, but Cincinno is definitely worth considering. Skill link and access to Bullet seed, rock blast, u-turn and Knock Off gives it good utility. I may do 2 options for featured Dark Horses for January.

New Dark Horses have been chosen for the month of January!

Also, as a reminder, no new drops can be used (i.e. Gyarados). Also, as a note: since Megas and their base forms are treated differently now, we can now use the base forms as Dark Horses. One example is Blastoise (1.15%) and M-Blastoise (9.77%). But, if it is found out that you willingly used the mega form, but used the base %, then you will be disqualified for this month, and possible follow on Dark Horse Projects.

With that being said, then go out and get involved! :-)

I finally got around to build a team. I had like no time this month for playing mons at all u_u

Fresh Alt: frozenhorse

Cinccino (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn

Aromatisse (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rest

Cinccino 0.36520%
Aromatisse 0.34777%
Jellicent 1.46897%
Salamence 20.09320%
Magneton 1.17700%
Shaymin 4.54550%
= 27.99764

Also Patrick1088, could you make tabs in the OP that show the last months of DH like in the old post? That would be really cool. And just for reference, if there are two DH and I would use both can I use 28% or 31%?

Edit: I hit 1300 with this garbage team >click<

Edit2: Nice, I hit 1400 with no-rocks.team >click<

Last edited:
I finally got around to build a team. I had like no time this month for playing mons at all u_u

Also Patrick1088, could you make tabs in the OP that show the last months of DH like in the old post? That would be really cool. And just for reference, if there are two DH and I would use both can I use 28% or 31%?

Edit: I hit 1300 with this garbage team >click<

Edit2: Nice, I hit 1400 with no-rocks.team >click<
Hmm, that is a good question regarding 28 vs. 31. If you want to use both, then I suppose 31 is fair. The idea behind boosting the overall averages is that some dark horses may require extra support. So, if you have 2 dark horses, then that could mean the difference using or not using Salamence (who is a low risk/high reward mon in general). There won't be too many 2 DH months, but I think boosting to 31 is okay.

Regarding the tabs with previous DH, what are you looking for exactly; participant rankings, featured dark horses, usage stats? I could just combine them all/hyperlink and put them in a tab. Unless you were looking for something more specific?

I hear you on being busy. I was just shoveling snow for 3 hours today (in NY and we had 25-30 inches by me).

S+-Rank
player X
DH#1

DH#2

player Y
DH#1

A-Rank
B-Rank
C-Rank

I thought something like this would be good. It would show how good people did with Dead Horses at what time and which sets got them there. Which would be really helpfull to know how those mons could be effective, what their niche was and around what time/ in which meta those sets where good.

_pe5e_ I like the idea of using the sets that got people to the ranking. But, I think it would become a little too convoluted with everybody's sets for every month. Perhaps we could try the winning person's set, and an honorable mention for the runner up?

Maybe if people are reaching A-Rank or better the complete set will be added. If under A-Rank just a quick note like offensive calm mind or choice banded would be enough?

Maybe if people are reaching A-Rank or better the complete set will be added. If under A-Rank just a quick note like offensive calm mind or choice banded would be enough?
Well, I would say so. Even a CB set requires good coverage and prediction. It may seem simple to click and go, but from a less used mon, it won't be the same as say spamming Leaf Storm (Serperior), Knock Off (Crawdaunt) or Iron Head (Jirachi).

Also, looks like _pe5e_ is the winner for January! I will be updating the OP Friday/Saturday!

Any suggestions for Dark Horses for February? :-)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Any suggestions for Dark Horses for February? :-)
Dragalge usage has dropped considerably, and I'd be interested to see people work with it in this meta. It's B rank, which seems a bit high for a Dark Horse, but then again Slowking was last month's Dark Horse, which has both higher usage and higher viability.

Tyrantrum is another dragon that could have a lot of potential this meta, being a fantastic answer to every Zapdos except the more rare SubRoost variety (which can spam Sub to scout for Head Smash misses or Pressure out its PP), but has really dropped in usage as a wallbreaker.

Diancie is a new drop that hasn't seen much use except on Trick Room teams... although Trick Room teams are kind of Easy Mode for Dark Horse laddering, as they tend to be comprised mostly of 'mons with fairly low usage.

Meloetta is something I'm always hoping to see people use more, so it could be an interesting Dark Horse as well.

Escavalier is a good fairy/psychic killer, though with alakazam coming down soon it'll probably see significant use regardless. Great general hard-hitting special tank for balance.

Mega camerupt seems interesting for a fire type that isn't SR weak. Haven't personally tried it, though.

After goofing off with some of the lesser used megas the other day I have to say that Mega-Rupt is a ton of fun and a great wallbreaker that can punch serious holes in teams with his fire blasts and earth powers when he gets his chance. Also he puts in serious work on Trick Room teams if you wanna go down that route.

Aromatisse was also kind of fun, outclassed by Florges for sure but Aromatisse has better defensive bulk, drops bigger wishes, and has an actual ability to use in Aroma Veil. Might be interesting to see what people could do with it.

Gonna reiterate Meloetta and Tyrantrum as well since they're pretty cool mons that would be cool to watch people use.

Emboar would be awesome due not being weak to stealth rocks ability to deal with suicune and swampert acess to priority in sucker punch and fire fighting is an awesome typing

I like Dragalgae and Escavalier,and will be updating tomorrow (another snow storm, apartment hunting, wedding other IRL stuff keeping me busy...)

Meloetta and Tyrantrum are also personal favorites too. Embooar is good too (great wallbreaker).

Good suggestions everybody! :-)

OP has been updated! Please note that new drops (M-Gyara and Alakazam) cannot be used for February. If you want to use base Gyarados (13.66%), then you can (good luck with that high percentage lol).

_pe5e_ I will be updating the OP as you requested tonight, as well (previous winners sets on their DH).

After testing a bunch of different teams, this one actually feels sort of comfortable to play. We'll see how far I can get...

EDIT: Question, can I use the same account with a modified team given that the team is still within the total usage percentage bounds? Namely I'm considering switching out Aggron-Mega for Steelix-Mega

EDIT2: C-rank (not an interesting game though): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-329855907

EDIT3: B-rank (vs a fellow dark horse _pe5e_, close game that eventually came down to a lucky roll for me) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-330342685

EDIT4: A-rank (slurpuff has been nothing more than death fodder, but such is life...) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-330774663

Last edited:
Fresh Alt: Snail Horse Power

Escavalier (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 96 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Rest

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Tyrantrum (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Outrage
- Head Smash
- Earthquake

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Crobat (F)
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Escavalier 0.63755%
Jellicent 1.46897%
Tyrantrum 1.06384%
Rotom-Frost 0.04326%
Crobat 11.29825%
Diancie 1.33057%

= 15,84244%

Dunno I trying some shit out this time. Doesnt look that bad on paper.

EDIT: Question, can I use the same account with a modified team given that the team is still within the total usage percentage bounds? Namely I'm considering switching out Aggron-Mega for Steelix-Mega.
Replacing something should only be possible if you haven´t reached a rank yet imo. But let´s better ask Patrick1088 about this. Maybe Patrick can also update the OP about this issue.

Also the tabs about the last DH month hasn´t been added to the OP yet :(

Edit: C-Rank >click<

Edit2: B-Rank >click<

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)