Current OU Metagame Analysis

I think the title makes the point pretty obvious. Anyway, another point to this is that there have been changes in the metagame in terms of usage.

Lets look at the OU tier list:

* Aerodactyl
* Alakazam
* Blaziken
* Blissey
* Breloom
* Celebi
* Charizard
* Claydol
* Donphan
* Dragonite
* Dugtrio
* Dusclops
* Exeggutor
* Flygon
* Forretress
* Gardevoir
* Gengar
* Gyarados
* Heracross
* Jirachi
* Jolteon
* Ludicolo
* Magneton
* Marowak
* Medicham
* Metagross
* Milotic
* Moltres
* Ninjask
* Raikou
* Regice
* Regirock
* Rhydon
* Salamence
* Sceptile
* Skarmory
* Slaking
* Snorlax
* Starmie
* Steelix
* Suicune
* Swampert
* Tauros
* Tyranitar
* Umbreon
* Vaporeon
* Venusaur
* Weezing
* Zapdos

However, recent trends have shown that the most common OU pokemon (in order) are these:

Blissey
Snorlax
Salamence
Swampert
Milotic
Starmie
Metagross
Gengar
Skarmory
Blaziken
Ninjask
Marowak
Regice
Zapdos
Flygon
Tyranitar
Forretress
Dusclops
Claydol
Celebi
Heracross
Jirachi

You'll notice that some previously common Pokemon, such as Jolteon are not on the list. This is because of the fact that they are becoming less common because of newer tactics and strategies. Pokemon like Regice and Ninjask are becoming more popular, while Blissey and Snorlax continue to dominate.

However, a cursory list of Pokemon is not simply effective enough. Some previously common strategies have become less prevalent over time. For example, the CBmence and the Agiligross strategies are not used as much because people decided that the prevalent DDmence and more common CBgross were better, as they suit those Pokemon better. Also, the previously feared "Tyraniboah" has also been used less and DDtar is gaining usage in the current metagame environment. However, DDmence is still seen more, while DDGyarados is seen every so often.

A note, though. Some Pokemon are making a comeback, including the excellent mixed sweeper, Blaziken. It is known as a common counter for the ever-popular SkarmBliss combo. This has caused the use of Skarmory to lessen somewhat, as even a switch to Blissey is not a safe move anymore.

However, we can always simply say that those Pokemon are the most common OU pokemon. However, it would not be helpful enough to do that. What use is it without explaining how to counter them? Well, I will do that right now.

Next to each name will be the name of the most common counters for each Pokemon.

*Blissey- Blaziken, Metagross, Snorlax, Salamence, Gengar, Marowak, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Heracross, Flygon
*Snorlax- Blaziken, Metagross, Snorlax, Salamence, Gengar, Milotic, Marowak, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Heracross
*Salamence- Claydol, Suicune, Milotic, Salamence, Aerodactyl, Regice, Starmie, Marowak, Flygon
*Swampert- Raikou, Sceptile, Celebi, Suicune, Zapdos, Gyarados
*Milotic- Raikou, Regice, Sleeptalking Zapdos/Snorlax, Zapdos
*Starmie- Raikou, Zapdos, Gengar, Dusclops, Snorlax, Blissey
*Metagross- Blaziken, Metagross, Swampert, Salamence, Marowak, Claydol, Forretress
*Gengar- Gengar, Snorlax, Dusclops, Raikou, Celebi, Jirachi, Metagross, Swampert, Jolteon, Blissey
*Skarmory- Blaziken, Raikou, MAGNETON, Snorlax w/ Fire Blast, Claydol, Donphan, Armaldo, Forretress
*Blaziken- Metagross, Suicune, Snorlax, Dusclops, Celebi, Jirachi, Swampert
*Ninjask- Armaldo, Aerodactyl, Skarmory, Weezing, Medicham, Suicune, Arcanine
*Marowak- Any Water type, Sceptile, Ludicolo, and anything faster that has a strong attack.
*Regice- Medicham, Machamp, Blaziken, Swampert, Snorlax, Metagross, Marowak, Flygon, Tyranitar, Heracross, Jirachi
*Zapdos- Metagross, Aerodactyl, Regice, Swampert (if Zapdos does not have HP Grass), Flygon (if Zapdos does not HP Ice), Salamence (if Zapdos does not have HP Ice)
*Flygon- Milotic, Zapdos w/ HP ice, Regice, Swampert, Raikou w/ HP Ice
*Tyranitar- Claydol, Swampert, Metagross, Aerodactyl, Salamence, Blaziken
*Forretress- Blaziken, Houndoom, Magneton w/ HP Fire
*Dusclops- Gengar w/ Shadow Ball, Snorlax w/ Shadow Ball, Suicune, Milotic, Skarmory, Houndoom, Tyranitar
*Claydol- Milotic, Suicune, Gengar, Snorlax, Houndoom
*Celebi- Forretress, Gengar, Snorlax, Houndoom, Suicune, Dusclops, Skarmory, Gyarados, Espeon, Alakazam, Celebi
*Heracross- Salamence, Tyranitar, Gyarados, Zapdos, Dodrio, Skarmory, Weezing, Dusclops, Arcanine, Moltres
*Jirachi- Moltres, Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Dugtrio, Swampert, Steelix, Claydol, Snorlax, Blaziken

Also, some Borderline Pokemon, such as Houndoom are being used a bit more, as Houndoom can counter Celebi and other Pokemon fairly easily with its diverse movepool. Another "BL" Pokemon that is seeing a bit more use is Cloyster, a good defensive wall that is unfortunatley weak to both Rock and Fighting, two fairly common types of physical attacks. It also has the ability to use Spikes, a strategy that is not used quite as much in current times. It can catch opponents off-guard, however, if used properly, since many people are not carrying Rapid Spin as much as they used to.

However, besides all of that, using some of the less-used OU Pokemon can lead to a small advantage since opponents don't expect to see these Pokemon as much. A good example is Medicham. It has a few good uses. Here is a list of some its options:

* CBcham
* JaskCham
* Endure/Reversal Medicham
* Baton Pass Medicham
* Bulk-Up Medicham

All of those have their uses. CBcham makes an excellent starting Pokemon and can quickly take something out. JaskCham is the combination of Ninjask and Medicham, which can lead to a quick sweep. Endure/Reversal Medicham can be used as a last-ditch effort, but is easily foiled by Tyranitar. Baton Pass Medicham can be used to keep a Baton Pass chain going, but should watch out for phazers. Bulk-Up Medicham is a physical sweeper, as well, and can set up to sweep. While Medicham can use Calm Mind, that is not wholly recommended because of its weak Special Attack.

Another Pokemon that deserves some more usage is Moltres. It has a fairly decent stat spread and has some good moveset options. The best are these two: Sunnybeaming Moltres and Sleeptalking Moltres. It could probably use Choice Band or be used in combination with Ninjask for some physical sweeping, but its weakness to Rock, Water, and Electric does not help it that much.

As stated previously, using some of these less-used OU Pokemon can be good if the opponent does not know what to expect.

However, no matter what happens, prediction is always key. If you can't predict, you'll never win. But this analysis will hopefully help you predict what Pokemon your opponent will use, and then it's up to you from there.

edit- some spelling and grammar, etc.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
I do sort of like the analysis, but the problem I'm seeing with putting this up is that since the metagame is constantly changing, even if it is very gradual changes, it will become outdated fairly fast, which means that it would have to be taken off due to not giving the most up to date information.

Nice work though, it can still be read

EDIT: I barely skimmed it, but I'll add my corrections and opinions soon.

EDIT2: Now that I read it over, I sorta find this guide supbar

Judgement said:
However, recent trends have shown that the most common OU pokemon (in order) are these:
Blissey
Snorlax
Eh, ever since the stalling period sorta came to an end, I don't think I've ever seen more Blisseys than Laxen

Salamence
Swampert
Milotic
Starmie
Metagross
Gengar
Skarmory
Skarmory over Starmie and Milotic easily.

Blaziken
Blaziken shouldn't be on this list I think.

Ninjask
Too high

Marowak
Marowak isn't this high

Regice
Zapdos
Flygon
There is no way in hell Flygon is this high.

Tyranitar
Forretress
Dusclops
Claydol
Celebi
Heracross
Jirachi

However, a cursory list of Pokemon is not simply effective enough. Some previously common strategies have become less prevalent over time. For example, the CBmence and the Agiligross strategies are not used as much because people decided that the prevalent DDmence and more common CBgross were better

Eh I disagree a bit on the Mence comment. I think CB had a much bigger impact on the metagame. Although I do enjoy DDmence more, it's just not as good and didn't bring that big of a change to the metagame.

, as they suit those Pokemon better. Also, the previously feared "Tyraniboah" has also been used less and DDtar is gaining usage in the current metagame environment. However, DDmence is still seen more, while DDGyarados is seen every so often.

A note, though. Some Pokemon are making a comeback, including the excellent mixed sweeper, Blaziken. It is known as a common counter for the ever-popular SkarmBliss combo. This has caused the use of Skarmory to lessen somewhat, as even a switch to Blissey is not a safe move anymore.

Edit: What?

However, we can always simply say that those Pokemon are the most common OU pokemon. However, it would not be helpful enough to do that. What use is it without explaining how to counter them? Well, I will do that right now.

Next to each name will be the name of the most common counters for each Pokemon.

long list of things i sorta disagree with

other stuff

What I think would be more appropriate would be a Metagame Diary, kind of like Marble Palace used to have. There would be an update about every month or so.

Judgement said:
It's not a counter if you can't switch into it...and ffs Marowak is not OU in terms of usage, quit trying to list it as a counter. And it doesn't mean a Pokemon is a counter if it means that said Poke can't switch into it. =/
*Blissey- Blaziken, Metagross, Snorlax, Salamence, Gengar, Marowak, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Heracross, Flygon
So seriously, is Blaziken going to be switching into Thunder Waves? What about Salamence Marowak and Flygon, going to be coming into those Ice Beams anytime soon? It's not as if Gengar can switch into it either.
*Snorlax- Blaziken, Metagross, Snorlax, Salamence, Gengar, Milotic, Marowak, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Heracross
I really don't see Blaziken switching into Snorlax. Snorlax would also beat Gengar one on one regardless if it's not carrying Shadow Ball, and all Milotic do is stall it, and is more likely to lose then win against it.
*Salamence- Claydol, Suicune, Milotic, Salamence, Aerodactyl, Regice, Starmie, Marowak, Flygon
*Swampert- Raikou, Sceptile, Celebi, Suicune, Zapdos, Gyarados
Raikou needs to get off this list. It can't even OHKO Swampert.
*Milotic- Raikou, Regice, Sleeptalking Zapdos/Snorlax, Zapdos
I find it funny how you'd have Snorlax as a counter under here and this under counter for Snorlax.
*Starmie- Raikou, Zapdos, Gengar, Dusclops, Snorlax, Blissey
Gengar gets 2hko by Surf and is generally slower than Starmie.
*Metagross- Blaziken, Metagross, Swampert, Salamence, Marowak, Claydol, Forretress
About the only thing you have right on this list would probably be Swampert and Forretress.
*Gengar- Gengar, Snorlax, Dusclops, Raikou, Celebi, Jirachi, Metagross, Swampert, Jolteon, Blissey
*Skarmory- Blaziken, Raikou, MAGNETON, Snorlax w/ Fire Blast, Claydol, Donphan, Armaldo, Forretress
Uh Blaziken isn't switching into Drill Pecks. Substitute Skarm owns Donphan/Forretress and who uses FBLax, too situational.
*Blaziken- Metagross, Suicune, Snorlax, Dusclops, Celebi, Jirachi, Swampert
Lol wtf Metagross a Blaziken Counter? I don't see that happening ever whatsoever in anyway. Snorlax and Celebi and Jirachi aren't counters either.
*Ninjask- Armaldo, Aerodactyl, Skarmory, Weezing, Medicham, Suicune, Arcanine
Medicham can only Fake Out once, just a thought.
*Marowak- Any Water type, Sceptile, Ludicolo, and anything faster that has a strong attack.
*Regice- Medicham, Machamp, Blaziken, Swampert, Snorlax, Metagross, Marowak, Flygon, Tyranitar, Heracross, Jirachi
Haha Marowak and Flygon? IIRC they don't even ohko Regice much less will they ever switch into it.
*Zapdos- Metagross, Aerodactyl, Regice, Swampert (if Zapdos does not have HP Grass), Flygon (if Zapdos does not HP Ice), Salamence (if Zapdos does not have HP Ice)
Metagross gets 2hko'd, Aero ohko'd, Swampert 2hko'd, Sala gets 2hko'd by Tbolt too.
*Flygon- Milotic, Zapdos w/ HP ice, Regice, Swampert, Raikou w/ HP Ice
*Tyranitar- Claydol, Swampert, Metagross, Aerodactyl, Salamence, Blaziken
You have to think this through both ways, DDTar and Boah, which means Swampert is the only one that gets to stay on the list.
*Forretress- Blaziken, Houndoom, Magneton w/ HP Fire
*Dusclops- Gengar w/ Shadow Ball, Snorlax w/ Shadow Ball, Suicune, Milotic, Skarmory, Houndoom, Tyranitar
Dusclops can kill Gengar a lot faster than Gengar can kill it.
*Claydol- Milotic, Suicune, Gengar, Snorlax, Houndoom
Said Houndoom gets OHKO'd by EQ.
*Celebi- Forretress, Gengar, Snorlax, Houndoom, Suicune, Dusclops, Skarmory, Gyarados, Espeon, Alakazam, Celebi
Uh remove everything on the list except for Gyarados and Celebi. Leech Seed will piss the shit off of everything with constant Psychics.
*Heracross- Salamence, Tyranitar, Gyarados, Zapdos, Dodrio, Skarmory, Weezing, Dusclops, Arcanine, Moltres
How is Tyranitar a counter, seriously? Dusclop also isn't a counter by any means.
*Jirachi- Moltres, Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Dugtrio, Swampert, Steelix, Claydol, Snorlax, Blaziken
Just thought I cleaned it up.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ToP said:
What I think would be more appropriate would be a Metagame Diary, kind of like Marble Palace used to have. There would be an update about every month or so.
Quoting for emphasis.

I agree with what everyone else said - too temporary (though I'm a firm disbeliever in a real developping metagame on NetBattle because I don't think you need to take it into account for a new team and there's lots of people just ignoring it and making a good team regardless of what's used and what not), and Pokemon like Marowak, Blaziken and Flygon are not that common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)