Knock Off

Pros:
- Speedy Rapid Spin means it can at least get a spin in before death
- Can outspeed DD Salamence and OHKO with Ice Beam

Cons:
- Ice Type
- Weak physically
- Potentially outclassed by Donphan and co

This mon wants either Tera Fairy for coverage, or Tera Steel for resistances.

Moveset:
Cryogonal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel / Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam / Freeze Dry
- Flash Cannon / Tera Blast
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

It's not great, but it functions. Ice Beam and Flash Cannon are decent special moves. Recover gives it a bit of longevity with its 135 special defense, and Rapid Spin well... spins. That's all, this is prolly worse than Donphan but ok

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Imo this thing wants more bulk to handle Pokemon like Kilowattrel and Noivern/Jugs much more reliably a lot of the time, the power level on this thing is not great anyway so it's mostly down to improving the utility that encouraged you to run it on a team over alternative spinners in first place . In similar vein to that i think just making your moveset more supportive with freeze-dry + chilling water is best, makes it at least a bit less passive if you can lower the attack of switch ins. Your right that its definitely not a good spinner compared to other things; its main use in my eyes though is that it does tend to fit better than a bunch of other spinners do just because of the defensive utility it provides on the special side.

I'm not sure i would ever bother using my tera on this thing, there's always gonna be better teammates to defensively use it and I wouldn't justify dropping a 4th move for tera blast to use the coverage when you want to tera other things a lot of the time.

In theory the most effective would be like Tera ground most likely to me, you're gonna have a coverage to hit tinkaton + gengar with while still got ur ice stab for other ghosts like sensu / bramble, you give urself a rocks resistance and don't add any weaknesses to attacking types from Pokemon like Kilowattrel / Noivern / Jugulis that you usually try to check, unlike tera water adding a kilowattrel weakness, and even remove the tera steel weakness from jugs too, and can even volt block killowattrel. I don't know that I necessarily think fitting tera blast to run this is the best idea in the world though, maybe just run it as an option with chilling water still just for the resistance changeups if necessary lol.

‖ː‖`As someone who has used Cryogonal extensively in other formats, Flash Canon is really unnecessary. The only thing it really hits is other Ice-types, 'n' those either OHKO or do nothing to Cryogonal, and Tera Blast works fine to hit the ones that aren't threatening already. If you're going to be using it defensively, then I'd recommend using its stats by investing into its surprisingly good Special bulk.`‖ː‖

Last edited by a moderator:
Cryogonal stands out as the best Aurora Veil user in generation 9 that is available. It's fast, has recovery, though it's weaknesses offset it good bulk somewhat. It also gets good coverage in only 2 moves with Freeze Dry and Blizzard. One of its downfalls is getting wrecked by most physical moves, also not being able hit steel/fire types effectively. It overall is a pretty good support pokemon, but has some glaring flaws.

Cryogonal stands out as the best Aurora Veil user in generation 9 that is available. It's fast, has recovery, though it's weaknesses offset it good bulk somewhat. It also gets good coverage in only 2 moves with Freeze Dry and Blizzard. One of its downfalls is getting wrecked by most physical moves, also not being able hit steel/fire types effectively. It overall is a pretty good support pokemon, but has some glaring flaws.
nope, abomasnow. obviously, since it gets snow warning, its the best veil setter.

Cryogonal also gets flash cannon as coverage

nope, abomasnow. obviously, since it gets snow warning, its the best veil setter.

Cryogonal also gets flash cannon as coverage
No Cryogonal is far superior due to its Speed, recovery, greater special bulk, less weaknesses and more resistance to entry hazards. Flash Cannon isn't worth the move slot most of the time, provides minimal coverage.

No Cryogonal is far superior due to its Speed, recovery, greater special bulk, less weaknesses and more resistance to entry hazards. Flash Cannon isn't worth the move slot most of the time, provides minimal coverage.
but cryogonal needs 2 turns for aurora veil, therefore reducing its usefulness as a veil setter. abomasnow only needs 1 turn bc snow warning.

I feel like current tier trends are surprisingly favorable for Cryogonal right now - it's the fastest spinner available and Freeze-Dry smacks a lot of relevant meta threats (Gastro, Quag, Pelipper, Mence, Kilo, Sandy, etc.). I've been trying out the snowflake lately with the following set and the amount of work it's put in is impressive.

Cryogonal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ice / Ghost
EVs: 34 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Protect / Ice Beam / Haze

EVs ensure you outspeed non-scarfed everything up to Sandy Shocks while still giving you a little bit of bulk investment. imo the first 3 moves are a must while the last moveslot depends on your team. I like Protect for scouting purposes, but Ice Beam and Haze are nice for extra firepower and utility, respectively. Tinkaton is its worst enemy so Magnezone has been a great partner. I also don't think Cryo is a great Tera user, but in theory Tera Ghost could act as a last resort against Espeed Lucario or Tera Normal Noivern. I haven't actually tested that out though.

also Flash Cannon is horrible!!!!! don't use that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

‖ː‖`cryogonal is not a superior setter. yes, it's faster 'n' more specially bulky, but requiring two turns rather than one to set-up veil is a massive hindrance. cryogonal is best used as either a fast spinner 'n' special wall or offensively with specs. i do agree that flash cannon fucking sucks as coverage though`‖ː‖

‖ː‖`cryogonal is not a superior setter. yes, it's faster 'n' more specially bulky, but requiring two turns rather than one to set-up veil is a massive hindrance. cryogonal is best used as either a fast spinner 'n' special wall or offensively with specs. i do agree that flash cannon fucking sucks as coverage though`‖ː‖
Pairing Cryogonal with the snow man is a good option . Abomasnow really has no business trying to set up due to the points I mentioned. It should just focus doing other things. Froslass is another Pokémon that can set it up due to its speed.

Pairing Cryogonal with the snow man is a good option . Abomasnow really has no business trying to set up due to the points I mentioned. It should just focus doing other things. Froslass is another Pokémon that can set it up due to its speed.
‖ː‖`at that point you already have abomasnow on the team, you might as well use it for veil`‖ː‖

‖ː‖`at that point you already have abomasnow on the team, you might as well use it for veil`‖ː‖
No I have tested out all the different Aurora Veil users that are available and Cryogonal is the best by far with Froslass being the runner up. Abomasnow is better off attacking.

No I have tested out all the different Aurora Veil users that are available and Cryogonal is the best by far with Froslass being the runner up. Abomasnow is better off attacking.
‖ː‖`cryogonal's way better-off attacking than abomasnow, it's way faster with a slightly better offensive stat. abomasnow only needing the one turn to set-up veil makes it better in the role, not to mention that you're then not stacking weaknesses`‖ː‖

‖ː‖`cryogonal's way better-off attacking than abomasnow, it's way faster with a slightly better offensive stat. abomasnow only needing the one turn to set-up veil makes it better in the role, not to mention that you're then not stacking weaknesses`‖ː‖
No Abomasnow is the superior attacker because it's movepool is much greater and has much higher attack. It is able to hit significantly harder and can blast through Steel types with Earthquake or Focus Blast

No Abomasnow is the superior attacker because it's movepool is much greater and has much higher attack. It is able to hit significantly harder and can blast through Steel types with Earthquake or Focus Blast
‖ː‖`if you wanna hit steel-types with cryogonal, you can just use tera ground. also, you generally don't wanna put abomasnow 'n' cryogonal on the same team, 'cause two ice-types which're both kinda shit will drastically decrease the team's power-level 'n' make it much weaker overall`‖ː‖

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)