SS LC Croagunk Webs

risi

miao
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Introduction:
Hi, I'm back again to share some not so great teams! Hopefully this is a better RMT than the last one :bloblul:. In the current meta, I feel that Croagunk is an underrated mon. It's a decent set-up sweeper, a great glue mon, but it is held back by a lack of speed. So, I wanted to build a webs team around it that highlights its sweeping potential, slowing down faster mons that put a stop to its sweep. By the way, thank you Laroxyl for your RMT, I "borrowed" the Onix/Corphish/Cutiefly core from it :evil grin: (I'm sorry about not asking permission, hopefully I am not offending you)

Teambuilding Process
:Croagunk:
I started off with the idea of using Croagunk as a sweeper. Along with being a good sweeper, Croagunk is also a good grass, water, and fighting type check, so it can function as a glue mon.
:Croagunk: :Onix:
Croagunk and Onix make a decent offensive core, with Croagunk removing Ferroseed/Spritzee cores for Onix, which make sweeping with Dragon Dance Onix difficult. Onix halps Croagunk by checking flying types and fire types for it.
:Croagunk: :Onix: :Cutiefly:
Cutiefly is a form of speed control, and also the webs setter for this team. At this point, I noticed that the team was becoming rather similar to Laroxyl's, and I began using parts of his team for inspiration.
:Croagunk: :Onix: :Cutiefly: :Vullaby:
Vullaby is a glue mon that I used to cover up the psychic and fighting type weakness on this team. It is the defogger too, and its ground immunity is really useful because I don't have a ground resist.
:Croagunk: :Onix: :Cutiefly: :Vullaby: :Ferroseed:
Ferroseed is another glue mon, serving as a okayish ground type check, as well as being a fat check to mons like Cutiefly and Wingull. I really like Ferroseed's utility as a hazard setter, as well as it's access to Thunder Wave and Knock off, both of which help cripple the oppenent's team.
:Croagunk: :Onix: :Cutiefly: :Vullaby: :Ferroseed: :Corphish:
Lastly, I added Corphish, so that Ferroseed doesn't have to be the sole ground type check. Also, Corphish serves as another fire type check, and fits really well on a bulky webs team.

In-depth:

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Def / 188 SpA / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Croagunk is the main set-up sweeper on this team, and it's great for corebreaking because of its unique typing, which allows it to break common defensive Pokémon, such as Timburr, Ferroseed, Mareanie, Spritzee, and more. It is also a good blanket check to grass, water, and fighting types (except for Galarian Farfetch'd.) I'm running the generic NP sweeper set, with Vacuum Wave for times that I haven't gotten webs up yet, but Dark Pulse could be a good option to hit Frillish.

Onix @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Body Press
- Dragon Dance

Onix pairs nicely with Croagunk, because it checks flying types for Croagunk and in return, Croagunk checks water, grass and fighting types for Onix. Onix really benefits from Croagunk removing defensive cores that can hinder its sweep. Additionally, Onix is a good fire resist, which is important now that regular Ponyta is legal on Showdown, and it is a good flying type check. I'm running the Dragon Dance/Earthquake/Head Smash/Body Press set, which lets it take advantage of the holes that Croagunk knocks into defensive cores. I chose to run Body Press over Stealth Rock because I'm planning to make Ferroseed the rock setter, and the only Ferroseed check is Croagunk.

Cutiefly @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 236 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Sticky Web

Cutiefly is the webs setter and the main form of speed control. It can also function as a ground resist, if you accidentally kill off Frillish too early, and a last ditch fighting check. Cutiefly is a great sweeper by itself, and like Onix it can take advantage of Croagunk removing defensive cores for it. I'm running a veil Cutiefly set, to help Croagunk, Onix and Corphish set up more easily, but you could trade the veil slot for Energy Ball if you are still worried about ground types.

Vullaby (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Vullaby came next, because I needed hazard control and psychic immunity on this team. Vullaby helps bind the team together by picking up loose ends that I haven't covered yet, functioning as the Farfetch'd and Croagunk check. Additionally, Vullaby adds a ground immunity, which is great because I don't have a ground resist. This Vullaby set is the fat vull set, so that it can live a Farfetch'd Close Combat after rocks and a Wingull Hurricane after rocks. Knock Off removes the opposing team's items, making it a lot easier to sweep with Croagunk and Onix, and Heat Wave is nice for surprising Ferroseed and Pawniard.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

After Vullaby, I decided to add Ferroseed because I still needed a fairy and ground check. Ferroseed is also great for being a big fat wall that checks Cutiefly, Wingull, and Onix, all of which can be major problems for this team. Since Onix doesn't run Stealth Rock, Ferroseed is the Stealth Rock user here. Stealth Rock could be important to break the opponent's focus sash and Sturdies, which could put a stop to Croagunk's sweep, and is nice for getting chip on switches. Ferroseed has great utility too, being able to access the moves Knock Off and Thunder Wave, which helps to cripple the opponent's team by removing items and spreading paralysis. I chose to run Giga Drain over Bullet Seed, because it hits Mudbray harder, almost getting the 2hko.

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Since Corphish is such a good mon right now, I decided to use it in my last team slot. It is great on webs and also takes advantage of Croagunk removing defensive cores for it. After adding Ferroseed, I figured that the team should have another fire type check other than Onix, so Corphish seemed like a good way to cover that. Besides, I still didn't have a solid ground type check, so I figured that Corphish would help fill that hole. I'm running the standard Adamant Corphish set, because I don't think that I need the extra speed the Dragon Dance set offers, but I guess that could be good for situations when you fail to set up webs.

Threat list:
*Opposing Croagunk are pretty annoying, the only check I have for them is Vullaby
*Farfetch'd is another problem, most things on my team really don't want to switch into either Close Combat or Brave Bird
*Opposing Ferroseed are difficult to deal with, with the only hard check being Croagunk

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1068702806-3kl7b0cxyczc1i8pv7qzsz5xux66ugrpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1069265108-3o59indumr7q8z795tirj3v80rhj8d9pw
sorry about the bad quality of the replays, im a terrible player so this probably doesn't give a good example of how the team works (lol i didn't even bother getting webs up in both replays, and its a webs team)
Conclusion
I've had a lot of fun testing out this team, and although it isn't a great team, it has seen some success. Again, I'm sorry that it is so similar to Laroxyl's team, it wasn't intended but :blobshrug: oh well. If you have any suggestions for this team, let me know, anything is appreciated! Thanks for reading my boring RMT.
Onix @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Body Press
- Dragon Dance

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Cutiefly @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Sticky Web

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 84 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

For fun, here are a couple of finished teams that I also based around Croagunk, hope you enjoy them!
:Croagunk: :Cutiefly: :Drilbur: :Pawniard: :Grookey: :Chinchou:
This one is Croagunk webs, but without Vullaby, so that to remove hazards you don't have to remove your own webs as well. Unfort had to drop Onix, but it's a fun team.
Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 132 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Grookey @ Berry Juice
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 116 HP / 160 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Taunt

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Cutiefly @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Sticky Web

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 52 Def / 152 SpA / 168 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

This team is bulky webs with a Ferroseed and Spritzee core. Instead of Cutiefly, I used Dewpider, because it is a great fire check that I think pairs nicely with Ferroseed.
:Ferroseed: :Spritzee: :Croagunk: :Drilbur: :Dewpider: :Scorbunny:
Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
Happiness: 160
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Dewpider @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 52 HP / 180 Def / 116 SpA / 20 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sticky Web
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 132 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Scorbunny @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 36 HP / 188 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Blaze Kick
- Gunk Shot
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Last and maybe least, this is Croagunk and Onix without webs.
:Croagunk: :Onix: :Spritzee: :Vullaby: :Grookey: :Wingull:
Onix @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Dance

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Grookey @ Berry Juice
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 116 HP / 160 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Taunt

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
Happiness: 160
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Wingull @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Substitute

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)