VGC counter for pengy's 2022 liverpool team?

hello guys i am having issues with countering pengy's team. my friend is using it and im trying to figure out a counter. i was told to use this team https://pokepast.es/1e23a6489b177988 but it aint workin out. this is pengy's team https://pokepast.es/3335491889a38978 and the issue is that the kyo or rillaboom always manages to stay alive regardless if i even add this zapdos: https://pokepast.es/c8afa69bfd425cf2 to counter the rilla and kyo.
for zapdos the strat is to dmax zapdos so it doesnt get flinched by rillaboom and i can damage it and zacian hard with max flare. and then spam eeriee impulse on opposing kyogre and zapdos.

Zacian-Crowned @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Intrepid Sword
EVs: 108 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Behemoth Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Quick Attack
- Protect
is the lead to counter the other zacian due to the better speed investment and just good damage output to whatever they are leading with but mostly for kyo damage and zacian damage.

Groudon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb
- Heat Crash
- Shadow Claw
well this is for zacian,incin,and to set sun to weaken kyo. this isnt my set i was recommended this so i can't explain the evs. and heat crash is there for rilla

Charizard @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solar Power
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 220 HP / 108 Def / 44 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blast Burn
- Hurricane
- Ancient Power
- Protect
this is mostly for rilla and zacian due to good move coverage.

Grimmsnarl @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Prankster
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen
to set light screen to weaken kyo and other special attacks and vice versa for reflect yall alr know this set tbh.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 180 HP / 204 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Spe
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Yawn
- Protect
to absorb anything kyo sends it way and earth power is good for zacian and incin. and i have gotten yawn off successfully against kyo too.

Incineroar (F) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 156 Def / 28 SpD / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Burning Jealousy
- Parting Shot
fake out any threatning leads like kyo or zacian and fire coverage for rilla.

Use wisp not burning jealousy. I'd run scald Imon gastro, presumably over ice beam.
im not sure if this will help tho. kyo and rilla are crazy strong and bulky. i went 1-7 last night against my friend using that team. i mean if u want u can use the rinya sun team and i use the pengy team. u can see how hard it is

I just rated the team, I figured it'd be too hard for me to factor in the team you're trying to beat. But looking at that team, and considering what I run, I see an, at least, mild Regieleki weakness. Leki hurts Ogre severely, and beats Zapdos. On the surface Grimm and Incin are not good match-ups, but if you look past that you may notice 150 BP Electro Ball vs. them. That hurts even through screens w. STAB Transistor, and Leki is immune to T-Wave. Zacian takes big damage though it's still a threat, and Rilla can be a problem. But if you have stuff for those Leki could really help you imo.

I just rated the team, I figured it'd be too hard for me to factor in the team you're trying to beat. But looking at that team, and considering what I run, I see an, at least, mild Regieleki weakness. Leki hurts Ogre severely, and beats Zapdos. On the surface Grimm and Incin are not good match-ups, but if you look past that you may notice 150 BP Electro Ball vs. them. That hurts even through screens w. STAB Transistor, and Leki is immune to T-Wave. Zacian takes big damage though it's still a threat, and Rilla can be a problem. But if you have stuff for those Leki could really help you imo.
u got a good leki set? also someone just said to use this team Eduardo Cunha (EmbC)'s 1st Place Worlds Team (pokepast.es)

Regieleki @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Transistor
Level: 50
EVs: 172 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 68 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

I actually run scarf, you can look at my RMT for why. But it may not work for you, esp. cause doubles. Maybe screens? Either way, pretty sure I like these EVs.

The strat dex has sets too, they have good EV options for screens.oh but grimm is screens, unless replacing that or that set, consider Electroweb.

How has WP Zard been? It seems frail for WP and there's double targeting too here...but if it has been working that's cool. I think they're usually lo.

I like to explain at least some of my EV choices generally, since you have no max/max spreads(probably a good thing,) you may benefit your rmt by doing this.

Last edited:
Regieleki @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Transistor
Level: 50
EVs: 172 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 68 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

I actually run scarf, you can look at my RMT for why. But it may not work for you, esp. cause doubles. Maybe screens? Either way, pretty sure I like these EVs.

The strat dex has sets too, they have good EV options for screens.oh but grimm is screens, unless replacing that or that set, consider Electroweb.

How has WP Zard been? It seems frail for WP and there's double targeting too here...but if it has been working that's cool. I think they're usually lo.

I like to explain at least some of my EV choices generally, since you have no max/max spreads(probably a good thing,) you may benefit your rmt by doing this.
hello i have been busy my bad for the late reply. but i just wanna point out the reason why i ain't explain the EV choices is because i was just recommended this team and it aint my creation lol.
also what does "LO"mean?
and nah the zard is not that fragile if i dmax it took a rainboosted origin pulse.
also by strat dex u mean the smogon dex right like this Palkia | SS | Smogon Strategy Pokedex

A dmax zard takes rain boosted origin pulse??? Did that origin pulse come from a rattata wtf?

252+ SpA Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard-Gmax in Rain: 750-884 (252.5 - 297.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I remember it survived some type of water move or a super effective move

You mean a water spout from a kyogre that was really low, since water spout does less damage as kyogres health decreases, that attack was probably only like 40 base power

Sorry I have no idea xp. Maybe use screens after all, and replace Grimm.

Since it takes on Ogre fairly well(they can live a hit max, but really that's obvious and what can you do,) you could replace Gstrodon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)