cool spin on a damage calc idea

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I was thinking, since it's hard to estimate how many EVs a Pokemon has for defense/HP, I could make a reverse damage calc that takes how much damage a previous attack did and tells you the range of HP/Def EVs they could possibly have. It would make calculating future stuff in the battle more helpful, I believe.

Post what you think :priest:

nice idea, i've had alot of trouble with not knowing what evs the opposing pokemon has

Good idea, but wouldn't it be kinda confusing to program as there are more than one EV spread that would result in that damage?

you could program it to list all possible spreads, though that might be too many, and then you have to take into account minimum/maximum etc. etc :(

Nice idea though, I guess I'm ok with it

I created one of those in java, gives a hugely wide spread though so it's largely ineffective.

EDIT: nobody ever even downloaded my damage calc program did they. Pity really

I read that post, but I don't play RS =\ (Edit: Though it could probably be adjusted to work for link battles, if I was link battling someone and I wanted to be irregular and actually take out some kind of tablet computer and enter in numbers between turns...)

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
NNEM said:
I created one of those in java, gives a hugely wide spread though so it's largely ineffective.

i hate java so much you dont even know lol

Great idea. It'd be cool to have it work in reverse too so you can take how much damage you are taking and figure out their Attack/Special Attack EVs. If you do this over several turns, you can figure out their full EV spreads with scary accuracy.

Amazing Ampharos said:
Great idea. It'd be cool to have it work in reverse too so you can take how much damage you are taking and figure out their Attack/Special Attack EVs. If you do this over several turns, you can figure out their full EV spreads with scary accuracy.
that takes the fun out it imo...

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another thing I've been wanting a while is an EV optimizer. Like, give the Pokemon, tell it how many EVs it can use, and have it optimize defense, special defense, or maximize both defenses (so it would tell you how many HP and Def/SDef EVs you need). Another possibility would be to put in all your EVs, and have it rearange them to give you identical stats, but tell you what you could do to get these same stats with leftover EVs. Like if I made Regice Bold but maxed out special defense and not defense, it would say to make it Calm, add a couple special defense EVs, and put in a few defense EVs, and then tell you how many EVs you have left.

(It would actually say to max/raise HP, and would likely leave you with no special defense EVs, but this is just an example)

I'll expand on that Regice example, actually. Say Regice has the following spread:

EVs: 4 Spd / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

Step 1 would be to optimize nature, while still giving the same defenses. This puts the spread at

EVs: 92 Def / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk / 72 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
With 90 "extra" EVs. The next step is to rearrange HP, Def, and SDef to further optimize it.

Regice has 499 special defense right now. If the EVs are all removed, it has 479. To compensate for this loss of special defense, HP can be added. All that matters if % (give or take, for rounding issues, but yeah), so just multiply the HP, 301, by 499/479. Rounded up, this is 314. Now the defense has to be lowered to make physical defense the same. Multiply the defense, 259, by 301/314. Rounded up, this is 249. The final, "optimized" spread would then be

EVs: 52 HP / 52 Def / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
With 150 leftover EVs for the location of the person's choice. It would then have to do a further check of defense vs. HP EVs, to see which one adds more to defense. In Regice's case, defense EVs add more, so there is no change made, as syphoning HP to defense lowers special defense. If HP adds more than a defense, then it would lose some defnese EVs to HP, and then tell the user that defense remained the same, but special defensive capabilities rose X%. It's easy to tell which adds more: HP or Defenses, as if HP is lower than a defense, HP adds more to that one defense (and definately more to both) than that defense. It would be a bit harder to code if it's not as obvious as Regice, though, but instead was something like Snorlax.

Another example that includes more than just defense is this Milotic from one of skarm's RMTs. This one highlights the possiblity of the calculator having to output multiple values, that give lots of extra of one thing at a slight loss of another. The original was this:
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spd / 132 SAtk / 12 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

I tinkered with it, and came up with this:
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spd / 36 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

Which gives the same special attack, same speed, but 1.9% less defense (including HP) for 6.6% more special defense. In reality, it has a little more defense and special defense than the numbers show, due to how rounding works (Salamence HP Fly does 1.1% more average damage, for example). How would such a calculator handle this? :(

On optimizing a nature, just choose the stat that matters whose base is the highest and increase that one. Decrease an irrelevant stat, or failing that the one whose base value is the lowest. This comes about because the stat changes are done as percentages.

A pokemon's defense rating (as noted in the Treatise on Pokemon Strategy) would be Hp*(Df + Sc), since HP and a defense value are important are both important in being able to take hits. Supposing only 1 defense is relevant, Hp*Df is maximized when they are equal to each other, since they can be written in the form (x - n)(x + n) = x^2 - n^2 which of course is greatest when n = 0. Similarly, if both defenses are equally important, it would be maximized when Hp = Df + Sc and Df = Sc.

That of course is just a base, there will probably be other considerations you'll have to look at after that.

NNEM said:

I will dl it if you link me <3

It would be an good idea to include an advance and easier to use damage calc in the mozilla search plugin for easy access.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)