cooking

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live with my mum, but I cook for myself. She's weird with food, so I can't cook meat (she says she can smell it on her towels the next morning o_O)

I'd like to start cooking all fancy like the rest of you, but I just don't have the initiative. I usually end up just doing something simple like pasta, which is just cooked filled pasta, a sauce and cubed avocado. I do lemon chicken too, cuz it's delicious.

Can anyone recommend any basic/easy recipes?
Here's something super easy to do that tastes delicious (warning: contains meat):

What you'll need
1 small jar of mild or medium chunky salsa
1 lb ground beef
1 package Mexican 4 cheese blend (must be shredded, plain cheddar is ok too)
-Butter crisco or vegetable oil
1 large skillet
(optional) sliced green pepper or onion
(optional) soft flower tortillas, taco shells, or nacho chips/tostitos

How to prepare
-Turn on stove to medium-high (7) heat
-Once stove is heated, add a little bit of butter crisco or oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet)
-Put the ground beef in the skillet
-Using a flat spatula, break up the ground beef so it doesn't cook as one big hunk
-Continue breaking up and flipping the beef until it is all brown. There should not be ANY red visible. Don't burn it though.
-(OPTIONAL) add chopped green peppers and onions
-Once beef is browned, add the jar of salsa. Use the spatula to mix it in with the beef for about a minute.
-Turn heat down to low (1-2)
-Add shredded cheese to the mix. Use as much or as little as you like.
-Continue stirring with spatula until cheese is melted and mixed in.
-Serve on its own or use to make burritos or tacos. Also can be used as a mean nacho dip.

The recipe may seem lengthy, but it really only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. I just listed it literally step by step so it's easy to follow. This recipe tastes great, has simple ingredients, and is easier than Final Fantasy XII. Enjoy!

Also, if anyone would like the most bad ass cheesecake recipe EVER (I've been doing it for years), let me know and I'll post it.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I simply never bake because I never ever have even the slightest reason for doing so.
I think this goes to the heart of the discussion. Historically, men have been the breadwinners in the family, and they also took care of all the maintenance around the house. Women, on the other hand, had a lot of free time while watching the children, so they would fill that time by making baked goodies for everyone to enjoy.

Personally, I would love to have the time to bake a whole bunch of cookies, but I'm just too busy between school and work. Seriously, there is not much better in this world then a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

This recipe tastes great, has simple ingredients, and is easier than Final Fantasy XII.
Nigga please. NOTHING is that easy.

Personally, I would love to have the time to bake a whole bunch of cookies, but I'm just too busy between school and work. Seriously, there is not much better in this world then a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies...
As a very competitive, academically-oriented pre-med, it's not like I have that much free time between classes, volunteer work, and extracurriculars... I just make due with the free time I do have. I guess other people use their free time for other things, like video games and such, but for me, baking is wonderful, because after I'm done, not only do I get to eat something delicious, but I get to share it with my friends too :)

For an easy chocolate chip cookie recipe, just look on the back of a pack Nestle chocolate chips. It's pretty much the easiest thing ever-- all you have to do is mix the ingredients together, put it in the oven for a bit, and then- bam! -cookies ^_^

And while the cookies are baking in the oven, you can do other things, as long as you make sure to listen to the timer lol

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
protip: rye flour is really good when thickening meat sauces. i cooked a beef stroganoff the other day and made it too watery so I added some rye flour that I happened to have and it added so much flavour

I tried using it when making fried chicken: bad idea. It goes all dark and awful rather than crispy and golden, and the rich flavour of the flour is really unnecessary if your seasoning is good.

I like to think that I have an instinct for cooking: I'm still learning the basics about things though.

Also Waterbomb, I'm curious: how do you use beer with beef, assuming you're not just drinking it by the side? I'm quite interested in using alcoholic beverages in cooking - though so far all I've used is red wine and judging by how well a couple beef dishes went with it I'm never cooking without.

I must say that I really don't like dried garlic: it's less hassle but it really lacks the tang of fresh garlic (I'm a bit of a garlic addict though).

I live by myself off campus, so I cook everyday. Something I always have a lot of fun with in the fall and winter is chili. I've been experimenting lately trying to find the best ratio of beef, pork, and italian sausage. Anyway chili is great because you can use whatever meats and spices you like, and you can adjust the spiciness to whatever level you like. Also, you can make a ton of it and save some, because chili actually tastets better the day after you make it.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also Waterbomb, I'm curious: how do you use beer with beef, assuming you're not just drinking it by the side? I'm quite interested in using alcoholic beverages in cooking - though so far all I've used is red wine and judging by how well a couple beef dishes went with it I'm never cooking without.
It's difficult to describe without you actually trying it, but a beer marinated steak is one of the tastiest things ever. Just trust me on this, the flavor goes very well with beef products. It's also the kind of thing you want to marinate for an extended period of time in total immersion, usually overnight to allow the flavor to fully penetrate the slice of meat. Even without using the beers I mentioned, you can't go wrong (unless it's schlitz)

also

free time while watching the children
lol

Personally, I would love to have the time to bake a whole bunch of cookies, but I'm just too busy between school and work. Seriously, there is not much better in this world then a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies
I make cookies for myself (and family) twice a week usually. Not being able to make them was one of the things I hated about going away for college. Ghirardelli chocolate chips are the way to go, putting the cookie sheet with the dough on it in the freezer for an hour or so before baking also makes the cookies a lot softer.

Otherwise, I cook a couple things like a bunch of chicken dishes, Brunswick stew, macaroni, eggs, etc. I don't have a huge repertoire of things that I make but I enjoy making stuff nonetheless.

Well, all I can actually do is omelets, so I don't know if I can 'cook'. I just take some vegetables, cheese, leftover meat / chicken and mix it with some eggs with salt and pepper (oregano sometimes if I feel like it). I just like omelets, because it's easy to prepare, tastes good (since it works so many ingredients) and are nutritious.

I can make Protein shakes as well, if that counts...

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ugh this if my first semester with no school meal plan so i've had to make food for myself

i went through a week phase where i actually made myself cheeseburgers and cheese steaks and shit and it was really nice but i really can't stand having to sit there and watch and pay attention to my food. so since then i have literally lived off of chicken fries, bagel bites, and chicken breasts that i can pop in the oven for an hour (and occasionally ordering). pretty terrible lifestyle but whatever.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love cooking when I'm hungry, I usually just make simple thinks like sandwiches, cookies, nachos, burgers n hot dogs. For some reason I also enjoy cooking for others sometimes lol
cooking when you're hungry can be a really bad thing: a couple times I've rushed it because I want to eat soon and ended up with a sub-par meal

Moved to uni 3 months ago, lived off of nothing but Super Noodles, beans on toast and takeaways! The university life right there...

Loving being back over the christmas holidays just for something decent to eat hahaha.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ugh this if my first semester with no school meal plan so i've had to make food for myself

i went through a week phase where i actually made myself cheeseburgers and cheese steaks and shit and it was really nice but i really can't stand having to sit there and watch and pay attention to my food. so since then i have literally lived off of chicken fries, bagel bites, and chicken breasts that i can pop in the oven for an hour (and occasionally ordering). pretty terrible lifestyle but whatever.
:( My condolences

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
okay so i am going to be cooking dinner for the fam one of these days soon. any suggestions for something? doesn't necessarily have to be easy, i'm an ok cook, but absolutely NOTHING with tomato sauce / marinara sauce / salsa. i can't stand the taste/smell/texture/anything of the stuff.

also some solid appetizers for christmas eve party

One word: curry. You don't really have to pay attention to rice or curry that much, and it tastes fucking good as long as you have the right spices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)