Controversial Opinion - Freeing a Pokemon in ADV OU

In DA Zone

Banned deucer.
I know it's controversial to suggest changes to old gen tiering, but I was thinking, some stuff that is banned to ubers in ADV OU might not be broken, like Latias without Soul Dew. Can we get a suspect test to try an ubers pokemon in OU?

What I am thinking is maybe we take it easy test the waters, let's try a suspect test of Wynaut first, and if that proves not to be broken, then maybe we can free it. Then maybe we look at other stuff too?

The concept of dropping Ubers is not disapproved of, dropping Ubers for the sake of dropping Ubers is. If you wish to seriously argue that a suspect for an Uber should take place, then for each specific Pokemon, provide in-depth arguments detailing why their introduction to the tier will not only be nondisruptive or manageable, but healthy for the metagame in both its current state, and its speculative future state after its theoretical reintroduction.

I do not have enough experience in ADV yet to trust my opinion on Latias, but Wynaut and Wobbuffet were banned in large part due to causing uninterruptible endless battles whenever they were on the field at the same time. As long as that interaction remains in the game, their potential re-inclusion will not be considered.

In DA Zone

Banned deucer.
wynaut was actually banned from OU because they thought it could cause those uninterrupted endless battles in UU, if memory serves. Not sure where the exact thread that determined that is any more. If anyone can show me that wynaut actually was banned for being able to cause uninterrupted battles in OU instead, then I will present an argument.

To be clear, I am saying that what actually happened, was wynaut was banned from OU because people thought it would be a problem in UU.

"I do not have enough experience in ADV yet to trust my opinion on Latias, but Wynaut and Wobbuffet were banned in large part due to causing uninterruptible endless battles whenever they were on the field at the same time. As long as that interaction remains in the game, their potential re-inclusion will not be considered."

This occured in ADV Ubers too, if I remember right the solution was banning Leftovers on Wobbuffet and Wynaut. That way Struggle damage would eventually kill the trapper. Wynaut could still be broken though with an item such as Quick Claw, allowing it to trap and kill certain otherwise untrappable threats such as CB Salamence and then, if lucky, getting a second KO with a Quick Claw Destiny Bond.

Suspect tests are controversial and difficult to organize, but you are free to use Wynaut in a tournament that you host. Just play in some other tournaments (like Gen 3 Global or Gen 3 Summer Seasonal), read this post, and read this post. Then you'll be able to host a Wynaut tournament and see what happens.

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
In my opinion, one of the main selling points of old generations is their immutability. There are tons of people like myself who stick to a particular old gen because it's relatively stable, requires in-depth understanding, and yet still sees opportunity for innovation, which I think is still ripe as seen in the most recent edition of SPL. This change you are suggesting is also not to address a problem with the metagame. It is thriving, unlike (correct me if I'm wrong) other old gens where changes have been made because they have become stale, or where sleep was banned because of the huge variance in sleep talk and teambuilding constraints.

This is not about whether Lati ends up being broken or not. It may very well not be broken, but changing the tier this way fundamentally usurps a lot of expertise built up over the years, and given the relatively older demographic of this old gen playerbase, I cant help but think it would deter some of us from trying to relearn a metagame we've dedicated a lot of time to studying.

In short, I highly value the stability of old gens, and I think the metagame is well balanced and still unexplored, so I do not wish to see this change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)