Community Create-a-Team 2: M-Lopunny + Lando-T

Psynergy's AV Magnezone

Lele aside, it also makes dealing with Water-types much easier, which I feel is sorely needed. SlowTurn helps out Lopunny a lot as well. Earthquake is still an issue (from the likes of Salamence and Hippowdown in particular, as these also bother Lopunny), so I'm inclined to suggest Sturdy on Magnezone as a result, but I do believe a more reliable check against those two should be included in a separate slot.

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Voting for cant say's Aegislash. I used Lop/Aegi in ORAS and it was :sogood:. I think SubToxic Aegi is unbelievably good in the meta right now, and having a Pokemon that reliably forces out/quickly beats Cresselia while still providing good offensive pressure with its 150 base SpA stat is going to be nice for this team.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IM REALLY SORRY I LET THIS SIT AROUND!!

As most of you know, I've recently started streaming BSS from my 3DS and I've been having so much fun with it (when I'm not noticeably salty lol) that I just totally forgot about this :psysad:

Anyway I've counted the votes and the results are:

cant say's Aegislash: 7
Psynergy's Magnezone: 5
Jhon's Celesteela: 1​

So it looks like our team is currently Mega Lopunny, defensive Landorus-T, and SubToxic Aegislash. What do you think we add here? Do you want to expand on the current core, create an alternative Lopunny mode, a totally new core, patch up the current team's weaknesses, address meta threats....?

~~~~~~~~~~

For me, I feel like the Fini (+Primarina & Azu) matchup is kinda annoying. I was looking at suggesting Kartana but doubling up on Steels doesn't sound optimal. Mega Venu also looks cool but two megas that loss to Mence also doesn't seem nice. So i'm going with fat shroom.

520DFCBA-1896-4242-B89B-78F50E4DF1FF-4326-000006619EBEF3F5.jpg

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Hidden Power Fire

I know two physdef mons might seem odd, but they check different things. Landorus looks after the Salamences and Blazikens, and Amoon would take care of Azu, Breloom, Kartana, Bulu etc.

Lopunny / Lando / Aegi already covers a whole lot, with Amoonguss covering what I think the biggest weakness is (water/fairies), it gives us a lot of flexibility with the last two slots.

I'm thinking the current main threats to this team, ie. mons that 3-0 this team with ease:

Zard Y - Blast from max timid zard in sun ohkos every mon here, yes Lop Fake-out into return KOs, but you can only use lop as a revenge, you have to sack a mon every time Zard gets in.

Hippowdon - Specificially defensive Hippowdon gives this team a nightmare, it wears down mega lopunny easily with helmet + sand, Lando does very little to it, can be yawned out and rocks set up. The sub toxic Aegi does less than half with shadow ball under sand, after which its OHKOed. You can technically land toxic and then stall out, but this only works in a 1v1 situation, you have to lose about 55-67% of your HP on aegi to land a toxic and hippo can phase away after you sub.

Defensive landorus-T - Similar story to Hippo, though less so. Lando-T can be 2HKOed at -1 by Mega lopunny Ice punch if it switches in. Aegi struggles with it for similar reasons it struggles with Hippo. Offensive variants of lando-T does do better vs opposing lando-T assuming they have HP ice and Aegislash but less well vs. Lopunny. Can still check any variant of lop that doesnt have ice punch though.

Taunt Tapu Fini - Lop/Lando don't have the power to break through fini alone and Taunt/Misty terrain shuts down Aegi. Strong water attacks in general just run through the team.

I've mentioned a few specifics worthy of noting, but in general, bulky grounds, bulky waters, Zard Y. These are the biggest three weaknesses I see.

Mons that I'm looking at on a serious note are Fini, Mega Venusaur, Primarina, Cresselia, Amoonguss, Tangrowth. Basically some bulky water or grass. On less serious note, whimsicott and goodra could potentially put in work.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Good old Nasty Plot Thundurus. I'll preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of cant say's Amoonguss and that I think this team needs some form of Water resist, but as always I'm taking the offensive approach and doubling down on my belief in this team's need for an Electric type. This Thundurus-T will be able to muscle through Tapu Fini, Landorus-T and Charizard Y while also soft checking Tapu Koko, which is emerging as a threat to the three Pokémon we currently have. This can also set up on and muscle through a bunch of bulky mons such as Cresselia and Tapu Bulu, and is one of the few special attackers capable of overpowering a Chansey 1v1 (not that this team necessarily needs it with a Mega Lopunny on deck but it's nice to have for stall). The coverage looks a little wack but I think that Grass Knot will help us out considerably in dealing with problem Ground-types like Hippowdon and Mamoswine, and Hidden Power [Flying] will be very helpful for catching bulky Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu, Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss off-guard. As always, the moves, item, and EV spread are very subject to change but I think this is a good start for toolboxing against the things that give our core trouble, and there's plenty of room to cover things better as we move forward ^_^

Last edited:

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 108 HP / 244 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Taunt / HP Fire / Ice Beam
I think we are underestimating how much of a problem Hippo is. Also, Salamence is a very common partner to Hippo, and Lopunny is weak to it while Lando just makes the problem worse. Aegi resists Sub Mence's STAB, but then you have to win a whole bunch of 50/50s to actually beat Mence. Tapu Fini doesn't actually beat Mence either, but it is nice because it can do massive damage to it especially if it nails it on the switch in. Furthermore, Fini is good against Landorus and, more importantly, completely destroys the McDonald's Hippopotamus. It also provides a safety net for Aegislash so we don't just get trolled by Spore Breloom. Offensive Fini can also help deal with HP Ice Volca which just 3-0s us otherwise. I made it offensive because seriously, f*** hippo. I also made it really fast because I like having fast mons but I don't really care about the EV spread (except for SpA, which I think should remain near maximum), so we can adjust it as we see fit, even like 12 Speed is fine. I'm not exactly sure what the speed hits but I know it outspeeds some of the high ladder teams' Fini I saw by one point.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I've actually been seeing a bit of a rise in Azumarill lately (mostly Band or AV) so I think having something that can reliably check that in particular would be good here. I was going to suggest those bulky Tapu Koko sets people have been using since it keeps up the Greninja matchup well, but I'm going to go with Zapdos here since I think it provides a good safety net and utility for this team.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

This is a mostly standard Zapdos set, Speed creep on Zapdos to outpace Breloom is always nice but this takes it a little bit further to outspeed Timid Celesteela. Uncommon as that set may be it does annoy this core a bit so it never hurts to be safe. Normally I'd run Toxic with Volt Switch but we already have Aegislash so that's not necessary (although two Toxic users isn't a bad thing!), we can switch that to Thunderbolt if we want but I think having the Volt Switch option for Lopunny is worth it. HP Ice is also great for this team anyway to ease the Mega Salamence matchup and also deals with Landorus-T. Heat Wave is also nice for Ferrothorn, Kartana and friends.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Might seem like a bit of an odd choice, but I'm bringing back this from CCaT1

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer / Horn Leech
- Horn Leech / Zen Headbutt
- Superpower / Nature's Madness
- Rock Tomb / Stone Edge

This is capable of beating a few key things that really trouble our current core. It smacks around Hippo, Lando-T, and Bulky Waters, all of which are tough to deal with. I just ripped this spread from my nom last CCaT, so it was designed to beat Mimi (which Lando + Lop handles pretty well), and could be tweaked to give superpower a chance to OHKO Kart, or give it more bulk. The whole team pretty well appreciates Rock Tomb drops, and it also KOs ZardY on the switch too.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok let's vote!!

For me, I feel like the Fini (+Primarina & Azu) matchup is kinda annoying. I was looking at suggesting Kartana but doubling up on Steels doesn't sound optimal. Mega Venu also looks cool but two megas that loss to Mence also doesn't seem nice. So i'm going with fat shroom.

View attachment 104745
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Hidden Power Fire

I know two physdef mons might seem odd, but they check different things. Landorus looks after the Salamences and Blazikens, and Amoon would take care of Azu, Breloom, Kartana, Bulu etc.

Lopunny / Lando / Aegi already covers a whole lot, with Amoonguss covering what I think the biggest weakness is (water/fairies), it gives us a lot of flexibility with the last two slots.

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Good old Nasty Plot Thundurus. I'll preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of cant say's Amoonguss and that I think this team needs some form of Water resist, but as always I'm taking the offensive approach and doubling down on my belief in this team's need for an Electric type. This Thundurus-T will be able to muscle through Tapu Fini, Landorus-T and Charizard Y while also soft checking Tapu Koko, which is emerging as a threat to the three Pokémon we currently have. This can also set up on and muscle through a bunch of bulky mons such as Cresselia and Tapu Bulu, and is one of the few special attackers capable of overpowering a Chansey 1v1 (not that this team necessarily needs it with a Mega Lopunny on deck but it's nice to have for stall). The coverage looks a little wack but I think that Grass Knot will help us out considerably in dealing with problem Ground-types like Hippowdon and Mamoswine, and Hidden Power [Flying] will be very helpful for catching bulky Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu, Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss off-guard. As always, the moves, item, and EV spread are very subject to change but I think this is a good start for toolboxing against the things that give our core trouble, and there's plenty of room to cover things better as we move forward ^_^

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 108 HP / 244 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Taunt / HP Fire / Ice Beam

I think we are underestimating how much of a problem Hippo is. Also, Salamence is a very common partner to Hippo, and Lopunny is weak to it while Lando just makes the problem worse. Aegi resists Sub Mence's STAB, but then you have to win a whole bunch of 50/50s to actually beat Mence. Tapu Fini doesn't actually beat Mence either, but it is nice because it can do massive damage to it especially if it nails it on the switch in. Furthermore, Fini is good against Landorus and, more importantly, completely destroys the McDonald's Hippopotamus. It also provides a safety net for Aegislash so we don't just get trolled by Spore Breloom. Offensive Fini can also help deal with HP Ice Volca which just 3-0s us otherwise. I made it offensive because seriously, f*** hippo. I also made it really fast because I like having fast mons but I don't really care about the EV spread (except for SpA, which I think should remain near maximum), so we can adjust it as we see fit, even like 12 Speed is fine. I'm not exactly sure what the speed hits but I know it outspeeds some of the high ladder teams' Fini I saw by one point.
I've actually been seeing a bit of a rise in Azumarill lately (mostly Band or AV) so I think having something that can reliably check that in particular would be good here. I was going to suggest those bulky Tapu Koko sets people have been using since it keeps up the Greninja matchup well, but I'm going to go with Zapdos here since I think it provides a good safety net and utility for this team.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

This is a mostly standard Zapdos set, Speed creep on Zapdos to outpace Breloom is always nice but this takes it a little bit further to outspeed Timid Celesteela. Uncommon as that set may be it does annoy this core a bit so it never hurts to be safe. Normally I'd run Toxic with Volt Switch but we already have Aegislash so that's not necessary (although two Toxic users isn't a bad thing!), we can switch that to Thunderbolt if we want but I think having the Volt Switch option for Lopunny is worth it. HP Ice is also great for this team anyway to ease the Mega Salamence matchup and also deals with Landorus-T. Heat Wave is also nice for Ferrothorn, Kartana and friends.
Might seem like a bit of an odd choice, but I'm bringing back this from CCaT1

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer / Horn Leech
- Horn Leech / Zen Headbutt
- Superpower / Nature's Madness
- Rock Tomb / Stone Edge

This is capable of beating a few key things that really trouble our current core. It smacks around Hippo, Lando-T, and Bulky Waters, all of which are tough to deal with. I just ripped this spread from my nom last CCaT, so it was designed to beat Mimi (which Lando + Lop handles pretty well), and could be tweaked to give superpower a chance to OHKO Kart, or give it more bulk. The whole team pretty well appreciates Rock Tomb drops, and it also KOs ZardY on the switch too.

------

I'm voting for Psynergy's Zapdos because we kinda need two checks to Mega Mence + Mega Blaziken, Lando can't do it alone.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Psynergy's Zapdos

The aforementioned reasons are a big factor in me choosing this, as well as beating other Pokemon such as opposing Landorus-T with HP Ice, Celesteela, and Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Primarina, all Pokemon that either I or other people think might be troublesome for our team.

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Psynergy's Zapdos

Having a way to get momentum vs Celesteela/bulky waters and stopping Mence is important.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
cant say's Amoonguss

I think that a sturdy Water resist would do this team wonders, especially with our current weakness to CM Tapu Fini and most bulky Grounds. I wouldn't mind the Zapdos either but this is where my vote is going ^_^

Psynergy's Zapdos
I thought I posted this earlier lol.
I think it's more important to have an additional mon that annoys Mence, and can pressure it because Lop really hates faster stuff. Also, it has a chance to paralyze with static which can lead to some clutch scenarios that the whole team will appreciate.

I vote for Psynergy's Zapdos.

His reasoning for it makes a lot of sense to me and I feel it is very solid choice for my vote.

Psynergy's Zapdos

Everyone has said it pretty well. It's nice to have more than one answer to mence on a team since it's so good.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Psynergy's Zapdos

Always nice to have more than one check to Mega Salamence, plus it deals really well with Kartana and Scizor, which the current mons don't have the best matchup against, and can Volt Switch around on Steela/waters.

Psynergy's Zapdos

Zapdos is a great answer to several very dangerous threats, and as everyone has already mentioned, another Mence check is always nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)