Cobalion Discussion

HP Ghost for Hera makes more sense. I don't why you would even mention Toxicroak though, since it isn't UU and you cannot predict the future.

Why stay in on Hera? A plain old set of Timid 4 Def/252 SDef/252 Speed would do just fine. Unless Cobalion invests a good amount of EVs in Defense, it can't survive a Close Combat. It needs those EVs to outpace threats like Mismagius and other Cobalion. It needs to invest into into SDef, so it doesn't roll over and die to repeated DMs/Blizzards to Kyurem.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Does Cobalion miss out on any KOs with HP Ghost 68 instead of HP Ghost 70?

I'm not so sure about Cobalion yet. It's not powerful enough, but not bulky enough either.If it tries to be one, it usually can't be the other. It can't take repeated special assaults, can't OHKO some key pokemon like Zapdos and Victini unboosted, and is to easily beaten by the likes of Donphan and especially goruggo. I think the best offensive set is with Air Balloon and Iron Head- plows right through the ground type walls and can open up a sweep for something like Rhyperior or Specs Jolteon.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not so sure about Cobalion yet. It's not powerful enough, but not bulky enough either.If it tries to be one, it usually can't be the other. It can't take repeated special assaults, can't OHKO some key pokemon like Zapdos and Victini unboosted, and is to easily beaten by the likes of Donphan and especially goruggo. I think the best offensive set is with Air Balloon and Iron Head- plows right through the ground type walls and can open up a sweep for something like Rhyperior or Specs Jolteon.
Cobalion can easily beat a weakened Donphan. (+2 Close Combat does a truckload and Donphan can't handle the CM set at all). I've never had an issue with him not being powerful enough because thanks to his bulk and many resists I usually always find time to set up. Heck, a simple SD/CC/Stone Edge/X-Scissor set is only really walled by Nidoqueen and Golurk. (Deoxys-D and Slowbro can't beat Cobalion without TWave.) I've taken to running X-Scissor over Taunt on the SD set actually as I still found myself being walled by bulky Psychics.

I've never really considered Iron head because of Steel's subpar coverage, but that might be interesting enough to consider.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Cobalion can easily beat a weakened Donphan. (+2 Close Combat does a truckload and Donphan can't handle the CM set at all). I've never had an issue with him not being powerful enough because thanks to his bulk and many resists I usually always find time to set up. Heck, a simple SD/CC/Stone Edge/X-Scissor set is only really walled by Nidoqueen and Golurk. (Deoxys-D and Slowbro can't beat Cobalion without TWave.) I've taken to running X-Scissor over Taunt on the SD set actually as I still found myself being walled by bulky Psychics.

I've never really considered Iron head because of Steel's subpar coverage, but that might be interesting enough to consider.
I've been using the same all-out offensive booster with a Life Orb and it's just great. Its speed is awesome and it can even take an Earthquake in a pinch, perhaps allowing it some crucial kills. I find Weezing to be a great counter although +2 LO Iron Head does have a chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock.

HP Ghost is used for the neutral hit on Heracross, as well as Toxicroak once it inevitably drops to UU.
Focus Blast still hits both of them harder anyway

I was about to suggest Iron Head for SE STAB coverage on Kyurem...then I realized that Close Combat / Sacred Sword takes care of that... >.<

Perhaps, if it hasn't been done, one could argue for Sacred Sword on the SD set to break stat boosters and preserve bulk. I'll have to test it a little bit...

breh

強いだね
it doesn't matter if focus blast hits harder; if you have HP Dark and Rocus Blast, you are going to be relying on focus blast's awful accuracy to hit; if you have HP ghost, you have a solid chance at KOing.

Realistically, you shouldn't be staying in vs. Heracross unless you've got an idiotic amount of Calm Minds or prior damage, but the point still stands.

My brother uses a Parashuffling set.

Cobalion @ Lefties
Jolly
252 Spe/184 HP/ 72 Atk
Thunder Wave
Roar
Sacred Sword
Iron Head

While I think the EVs and Nature could be changed for more bulk and Taunt would be nice over one of the attacks, Cobalion does this pretty well.

if anyone worry's about quagsire being a counter for a set up cobalion running HP grass makes it moot

with a life orb and no investment and a neutral nature

quagy gets 2hko really easily and would have to invest a unhealthy amount into special defense to avoid a 2hko at which point it's not great for taking physical hits

I can't sing enough praises for the Choice Band set, it really deserves more attention than it gets. Choice Band Cobalion is much more of a team player than the boosting sets, which are typically forced to stay out until late game because they simply aren't threatening without a boost, and can't sweep with boosts until certain checks/counters are removed. The Band set can abuse Cobalion's bulk and resists all throughout the game by switching in and hitting hard right away or scouting with volt switch, wearing down counters and keeping the momentum going for yourself.

And to top it all off its still pretty good at cleaning up late game with CC spam after stuff like Donphan and Zapdos have been worn down.

I really like the sounds of this set:

-Iron Head
-Sacred Sword
-Taunt
-Thunder Wave

But I don't know which direction to take the nature and EVs.I could go fast (Jolly 252?) and try to hit with Iron Heads and TWaves against a wider range of pokes before they do anything to Cobalion.However, once paralyzed the extra power from Adamant seems better or even a more defensive nature to take a hit and then paralyze.I just don't know.What has worked for you guys.

I run a wierd cobalion

4HP/232Attack/24def/248Speed

Why 248 speed you ask? It loses the speed tie with other cobalion, so I survive the Close Combat from them and I attack, fainting them, because of the defence drop.

24 defence EV's give me enough to hit 300 defence (this doesnt do anything of note, but it has helped me alot surviving random assaults from technitop and Close combats from regular hitmontops by like 1 HP)

The rest is dummped in attack, with leftovers, to aid cobalions natural Bulk.

Moves are; Swords dance/iron head/Close combat/Taunt.

iron head and stone edge have been difficult to choose from, also X-Scissor as well, each have there merits. :s

What's the best cobalion set to counter honchkrow? Because if it moves up out of ru (which has a good chance to happen), its uu usage will skyrocket

What's the best cobalion set to counter honchkrow? Because if it moves up out of ru (which has a good chance to happen), its uu usage will skyrocket
Basic Cobalion sets are already adequate to deal with Krow just hope you don't get nailed by BB on the switch or that its behind a sub. Wouldn't say Cobalion is a hard counter as much as a check (albeit a very good one). If you really want a hard counter UU has Zapdos, Rhyperior, Milotic, Suicune, Registeel who are all bulky enough to survive BB and proceed to attack Honch with one of its weaknesses. I doubt its going to skyrocket in usage just because it leaves RU ._. for the fact that a) there are no suspect tests and b) just because its in RU doesn't mean it couldn't play in UU people just aren't using it in UU as much since hard counters and many checks exist there.

Cobalion seems underwhelming whenever I play against one, for whatever reason. Scarf Arcanine soaks up Iron Head with Intimidate and threatens out with Flare Blitz. I've been running physically defensive Golurk and he shuts down Cobalion completely. And who doesn't want No Guard DynamicPunch to ruin the day?

Cobalion seems underwhelming whenever I play against one, for whatever reason. Scarf Arcanine soaks up Iron Head with Intimidate and threatens out with Flare Blitz. I've been running physically defensive Golurk and he shuts down Cobalion completely. And who doesn't want No Guard DynamicPunch to ruin the day?
No Guard Golurk is unreleased and therefore illegal, none of the 5th Gen Pokemon besides Musharna and Darmanitarn have had their DW abilities released.

There isn't much to Cobalion besides being fast and hitting fairly hard and having an excellent typing, it could simply be the players you faced were reckless with using it because Cobalion can quite easily seal a win. The fact alone it gets an automatic +1 attack on getting hit by dark attacks is a boost, it won't be unusual to be running about with a +3 Cobalion.

Because Honchkrow isn't used in UU often, it is in RU. If it moves up out of RU, that means it's being used in UU more. Its usage won't rise because it moves out of RU, as you can use RU Pokemon in UU. Its usage would have risen because it got moved up from RU to UU.

Cobalion seems like a great poke in UU. I might have to try him out sometime.
I might try out the Taunt SD set and see how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)