National Dex Close Combat (1850+)

Hi! I just wanted to share a fun team I've been playing with and tweaking for the last month, just before DLC2, hitting 1850 elo.

For time constraint, I won't delve into the teambuilding process, as the team went through several major changes before I became satisfied with it. It was more of a sand team at the beginning, but trying to make Excadrill work in this economy just isn't worth it.

Here's the team and the importable:

:ferrothorn: :tyranitar-mega: :gliscor: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :zamazenta: :zapdos:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat

Zamazenta @ Choice Band
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 184 HP / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Roost

:ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

It might seem weird to start a RMT with Ferrothorn, but it is the perfect glue to an offensive team since its staying power, Iron Barbs chip damage, sand and Toxic immunity is very valuable. You will see that it's the only hazards setter in the team, so Stealth Rock is more valuable to me, namely because against Mega Charizard builds, but Spikes are a viable option too. Leech Seed+Leftovers provide much needed recovery in order to stay alive as long as possible, especially against the likes of Ogerpon, as the team is rather hopeless against it otherwise. Power Whip is mandatory for this exact reason, and Gyro Ball is chosen as the last attack because of its power against Dragonite for example. A relaxed nature and full physical defense is most effective, but one can tweak the EVs to make it more specially defensive if Greninja under rain is a problem. Tera Ghost turns the tides against Iron Valiant, and makes the life of Body Press Garganacl a tiny bit harder.

:tyranitar-mega:
Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

What are the biggest problems of Fighting-type spam? Ghosts (RIP), Flying, Psychic and Fairy types. Tyranitar fits the bill perfectly and opposing Ghost, Flying and Psychic types have a hard time staying alive against it. Pursuit is the most clicked move for a reason. Slowking-Galar? Pursuit! Tornadus? Pursuit! Zapdos? Pursuit! Mega Charizard Y? Pursuit! Ninetails-Alola? Pursuit! Tapu Lele? Ok maybe not this one, but you get the idea. Knock Off is always useful, especially against stall teams as Tyranitar dominates those. Stone Edge is the strongest move and provides nice damage, and helps against defensive Volcaronas that are not OHKO'd by Knock Off. Lastly, Ice Punch is very important, otherwise SD Garchomp has free reign over this team. It's also always funny to see Gliscors staying in. Max attack with enough speed to outrun Mega Mawile, with the rest in bulk to take various U-Turn, Volt Switch, Earth Power from Heatran or Kyurem, and Earthquakes from Garchomp/Gliscor in a pinch. It is also the best weather control a team can have against rain, hail or sun teams. Fire Punch is an option against Mega Scizor as Zapdos is the only reliable check to it, but Ice Punch provides much more value to this team overall. Forget Stealth Rock, I hate it on Mega Tyranitar and Pursuit damage is more impactful, not only on this team but generally speaking, otherwise why use Mega Tyranitar?

:gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Steel/Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic/Taunt
- Roost

Gliscor is one of the most prominent defensive Pokemon in the metagame for a reason. A reliable defogger is what this team needs in case you get Spiked on against Samurott-Hisui. Toxic or Taunt is a matter of preference, but this team usually doesn't have trouble against stall, and a well-timed Toxic can change the outcome of a game. Taunt takes care of IDBP Garganacl, however. The set is fairly standard and a specially defensive spread is preferred. Tera Steel or Tera Poison can be used, it just depends on whether you run into Tapu Lele or Iron Valiant more often, as Ferrothorn alone cannot absorb the Tera Fairy Specs Moonblasts. I wish Gliscor had 8 moveslots to fit Swords Dance/Spikes/Protect/Facade/U-Turn.

:urshifu-rapid-strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat

And here we are, the first member of the Fighting core! Urshifu-RS is wonderful, a +2 one breaks through so many things in the metagame. Aqua Jet is incredible as it provides a relatively powerful priority move against the likes of Iron Valiant, Blaziken, Volcarona in a pinch. Surging Strikes is why this team isn't 6-0'd by Garganacl, and Close Combat to soften walls that do well against Zamazenta, or run through those who have been weakened by Zamazenta. Thunder Punch means no Aqua Jet and the team becomes shaky against HO. Jolly nature is non-negotiable otherwise Tapu Lele becomes a big problem. Tera Water is here in case the extra power is needed.

:zamazenta:

Zamazenta @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang

The second member of the Fighting core, tera Fighting CB Zamazenta is a menace since the ban of Dragapult and Gholdengo (though it was one already back then). Close Combat breaks through anything not named Toxapex/Venusaur, so the other moves are here to help. Psychic Fangs can pressure them, while Ice Fang takes care of Dragonite. Quick Attack provides another form of speed control in case of extreme emergency. Stone Edge can be used if one is afraid of Zapdos or Moltres but Urshifu usually takes care of those. Heavy Slam can also be considered if one is too afraid of Tapu Lele or Clefable. Nothing more to say, the tier is not prepared for such a monster. Adamant nature can be used but is not recommended, otherwise Mega Lopunny is a huge threat as Gliscor is specially defensive.

:zapdos:
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 184 HP / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Roost

Ah, Zapdos. The eternal and legendary OU Pokemon. Sometimes I wish you had more power when I give you bulk, and sometimes I wish you had more bulk if I make you fully offensive. Anyway, Volt Switch is preferred in the majority of the cases over Thunderbolt as it provides a lot of opportunities for Zamazenta to wallbreak or Tyranitar to Pursuit. Thunderbolt does help against Tera Water Garganacl, however. Heat Wave is mandatory otherwise Mega Scizor gets troublesome, and you don't wanna rely on Hurricane to check Kartana. Hurricane remains a good option in case you want to hit the opposing pokemon hard without switching. The EV lets Zapdos take a +2 Knock Off from Kartana, with the rest in SpA. Timid 252+ is mandatory, so that opposing Urshifu-RS, Landorus-T, Great Tusk, Rillaboom cannot stay on it. I lost a lot of games with a Zapdos with less speed investment, and also some games where Kartana just did what it wanted when I didn't invest in bulk at all, so this is a well-balanced EV spread. Tera Fairy is here to take the Scale Shots from +2 Garchomp and Kommo-O, but realistically you are never Tera-ing Zapdos.

Tips and Tricks:

- This is an offensive team. This means, try to wallbreak as fast as possible with either Urshifu-RS or Zamazenta.
- Unless you need Tyranitar alive at all costs, such as against rain teams, you can trade HP with Pursuit. Think about the sandstorm damage when playing against Dragonite, for example, or stall teams, Dondozo, Mega Sableye hate it since the Recover pp nerf. Don't let it get burned, otherwise it is as good as dead. Knock the heavy duty boots from Alomomola or the leftovers from non-Body Press Garganacl. It's important not to reveal Ice Punch until you can OHKO Gliscor (usually below 85%).
- Leech Seed on Ferrothorn is very good if you don't need Stealth Rock, as a seeded Heatran provides a free switch to Tyranitar and will 100% switch allowing you to Pursuit.
- Gliscor is not as important as the other members if you don't need its defensive capabilities or Defog, so if you need to sack a Pokemon, often Gliscor is the right choice.
- Against Toxapex, a poisoned Gliscor is the first switch-in, not Zapdos. Knock Off asap to remove the Black Sludge can help make progress. Later in the game, once they realize their Toxapex can tank a Volt Switch, you can switch Tyranitar on anything not named Scald and pressure it with Stone Edge/Pursuit.
- Against Skeledirge, you need to force Tera with Tyranitar (unless you need it), and not Urshifu-RS. Poison it with Gliscor if possible.
- Don't let Urshifu-RS and Zamazenta take hits if possible, but trade the other member's HP. It will help them stay in and get the 2HKO on things that can take one hit and retaliate, such as Alomomola, non-Dazzling Gleam Tapu Koko, and also take a hit from the opposing revenge killer such as Mega Loppuny, Mega Scizor, Greninja, Rillaboom instead of being forced out.
- Against Zapdos, Tyranitar eats the offensive versions alive while defensive ones can be broken with Urshifu-RS with some cheap damage. It's better to wait until they are in OHKO range from Zamazenta before sending Zamazenta out, or even better if you can take care of it with Tyranitar before, as you don't want it to be paralyzed.
- Against Tapu Lele, prediction is very important. Gliscor can scout. Unboosted Urshifu OHKOes with sand damage.

Threatlist
:iron valiant: CM versions are a pain and usually requires tera from Gliscor, especially since it is likely to be faster than Zamazenta thanks to Boosting energy.
:Ogerpon-Wellspring: Superpower versions are bad, it means that Ferrothorn is not a full proof check. Spikes version can also be hard to deal with since it beats my defogger 1v1.
:tapu lele: No real switch-in to Specs, but they don't last long either. Heavy Slam can be an option on Zamazenta.
:tornadus-therian: Usually not a problem, unless it runs Superpower.
:garchomp: At +2/+1, it's gg. One of the reason why I run Ice Punch on Tyranitar. Tera Zapdos can be used as a last ditch effort but you need to pray the Hurricane lands and it's not even close to the OHKO.
:medicham-mega: On paper, a threat. In practice, I've never seen one.
:toxapex: See tips and tricks.
:charizard-mega-y: Set up Rocks asap. Don't let Tyranitar fall into Scorching Sands range. Zapdos can play the speed tie.
:kartana: Keep Zapdos healthy at all costs. Ferrothorn can take one hit from Scarf variants.

Thanks for reading.

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Hello hello, this is a cool concept of a team but I think the double Fighting-type core stacks up noticeable weaknesses that your team isn't able to circumvent as such. I'll present some options that will hopefully aid in the matchups you deemed as difficult.

Major Changes

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: -> :ss/slowking-galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Chilly Reception
- Thunder Wave

Urshifu-R is for sure a good Pokemon, but it being revenge killed by two common special breakers in Iron Valiant and Tapu Lele presents huge problems for your team, as you lack a good check to either. Galarian Slowking solves this problem handily, pivoting in on most variants of both and crippling Tera Steel + Calm Mind Iron Valiant if it chooses to Terastallize in front of you. The pivoting also aids Zamazenta in wallbreaking, dissuading Fighting-resistant walls like Toxapex from coming in on it ever. The Tera type can be changed to your liking, but Tera Steel helps a lot more against Choice Specs Tapu Lele if that ever becomes an issue in practice.

Minor Changes
  • The Gliscor EV spread is suboptimal; you want more Special Defense to better handle / take hits from threats like Heatran and Volcarona, giving you more chances to cripple them with Toxic or remove hazards. As such, here's the standard spread I'd recommend:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Fairy (change to whatever you deem necessary)
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe (this outspeeds Rotom-W and maximizes Poison Heal recovery)
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic
  • Ferrothorn usually doesn't require both STAB moves in a moveset; this is because an extra utility move is often more consistent, especially considering the Pokemon it tends to invite in (Zapdos, utility Tornadus-T, Heatran, Volcarona, etc.). As such, something like Knock Off (my preferred choice as it as more targets and punishes a broader group of Pokemon) or Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball would be of more use. Fast, Speed-boosting sweepers like Dragonite shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep Dauntless Shield intact on Zamazenta (but if you were to go Thunder Wave, this should be even less of a problem). Spikes should also be used if pairing Ferrothorn with Mega Tyranitar, as Mega Tyranitar can fit Stealth Rock into its moveset pretty easily.
    • tl;dr Knock Off / Thunder Wave > Gyro Ball, Spikes > Stealth Rock, change Ferrothorn IVs and nature to account for the change
  • The aforementioned Mega Tyranitar doesn't actually need Ice Punch; Landorus-T falters to repeated Stone Edge uses, and Gliscor is often a non-issue, with varying answers depending on the set (Ferrothorn beats utility variants, Zapdos beats Swords Dance). There's not much to this, it's just really good at keeping hazards up and facilitates a hazard-stacking core because it has a good matchup into Defog Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and others. The EVs should also be changed to outspeed non-invested Rotom-W.
    • tl;dr replace Ice Punch with Stealth Rock, use a spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe instead.
  • The Zamazenta set features some suboptimal choices for moves. Crunch and Stone Edge should often be used over Quick Attack and Psychic Fangs, with the former hitting the ever-present Galarian Slowking and the latter hitting Flying-types like Zapdos and Moltres that punish you incredibly hard for existing. Here's the new set:
Zamazenta @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Hope this helps!

Hello hello, this is a cool concept of a team but I think the double Fighting-type core stacks up noticeable weaknesses that your team isn't able to circumvent as such. I'll present some options that will hopefully aid in the matchups you deemed as difficult.
Hi! I appreciate your rate as I was hoping someone would take a look at the team.

Indeed, Iron Valiant and to a lesser extent Tapu Lele can be difficult matchups.

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: -> :ss/slowking-galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Chilly Reception
- Thunder Wave
Urshifu-R is for sure a good Pokemon, but it being revenge killed by two common special breakers in Iron Valiant and Tapu Lele presents huge problems for your team, as you lack a good check to either. Galarian Slowking solves this problem handily, pivoting in on most variants of both and crippling Tera Steel + Calm Mind Iron Valiant if it chooses to Terastallize in front of you. The pivoting also aids Zamazenta in wallbreaking, dissuading Fighting-resistant walls like Toxapex from coming in on it ever. The Tera type can be changed to your liking, but Tera Steel helps a lot more against Choice Specs Tapu Lele if that ever becomes an issue in practice.
I actually had Slowking-Galar with the exact same set in the team when I was trying to build it but the team was so passive that it just wasn't worth it, as the team was slowly losing against many opponents regardless of playstyle. Even now, against Iron Valiant, it often gets one KO, rarely 2 as I save Tera for it, but gets worn down fairly quickly thanks to its frailty, hazards, sandstorm and priority. With this team, I prefer trying to out-offense it then slowly losing.

The Gliscor EV spread is suboptimal; you want more Special Defense to better handle / take hits from threats like Heatran and Volcarona, giving you more chances to cripple them with Toxic or remove hazards.
Thanks, I mindlessly took the spread on the the analysis page but I agree yours is better.

Ferrothorn usually doesn't require both STAB moves in a moveset; this is because an extra utility move is often more consistent, especially considering the Pokemon it tends to invite in (Zapdos, utility Tornadus-T, Heatran, Volcarona, etc.). As such, something like Knock Off (my preferred choice as it as more targets and punishes a broader group of Pokemon) or Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball would be of more use. Fast, Speed-boosting sweepers like Dragonite shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep Dauntless Shield intact on Zamazenta (but if you were to go Thunder Wave, this should be even less of a problem). Spikes should also be used if pairing Ferrothorn with Mega Tyranitar, as Mega Tyranitar can fit Stealth Rock into its moveset pretty easily.
  • tl;dr Knock Off / Thunder Wave > Gyro Ball, Spikes > Stealth Rock, change Ferrothorn IVs and nature to account for the change
Thunder Wave would be nice, yes. As I said, I tried to fit Thunder Wave within the team, with the aforementioned Slowking-Galar, so it is definitely a good option. I agree that Spikes is usually better, but

The aforementioned Mega Tyranitar doesn't actually need Ice Punch; Landorus-T falters to repeated Stone Edge uses, and Gliscor is often a non-issue, with varying answers depending on the set (Ferrothorn beats utility variants, Zapdos beats Swords Dance). There's not much to this, it's just really good at keeping hazards up and facilitates a hazard-stacking core because it has a good matchup into Defog Landorus-T, Tornadus-T, and others. The EVs should also be changed to outspeed non-invested Rotom-W.
  • tl;dr replace Ice Punch with Stealth Rock, use a spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe instead.
the issue is that offensive Grounds, especially SD Garchomp, walk all over this team. Gliscor can be problematic, as Taunt variants beat Ferrothorn, SpDef SD variants have little trouble against Zapdos. Urshifu can only switch in a few times. Ice Punch deter those grounds from setting up, and even if I try to fit SR on Tyranitar, I would give it over Knock Off/Stone Edge. In the former case, Ferrothorn could have Power Whip/Spikes/Knock Off/Leech Seed instead. I tried to give HP Ice to Zapdos but overall it was less effective for the team, and Gliscor can just Tera Fairy anyway and set up over you.

Thanks for the EV spread! That's actually what I had in the teambuilder but I forgot what it was for.

The Zamazenta set features some suboptimal choices for moves. Crunch and Stone Edge should often be used over Quick Attack and Psychic Fangs, with the former hitting the ever-present Galarian Slowking and the latter hitting Flying-types like Zapdos and Moltres that punish you incredibly hard for existing.
I agree Quick Attack is pretty much useless, I very very rarely use it. I just like having some kind of way to save myself in desperate situations but this usually doesn't happen. Slowking-Galar is not a problem whatsoever for this team, as Zapdos can pivot out of it and it gets Pursuited. Stone Edge is indeed fitting. Having the dual fighting type core helps against those Flying types, as Urshifu is not afraid of defensive Zapdos with the Protective Pads and can break through for Zamazenta, but Stone Edge is a good idea since Zamazenta can wallbreak by itself then. Psychic Fangs is solely for Toxapex, but I try to play more patiently against it with Gliscor and Zapdos. 90% of the time I'm clicking Close Combat anyway, but your suggestions are definitely welcome and appreciated.

With this offensive team, you don't need to have a switch in to everything, you can trade HP until one of Urshifu/Zamazenta cleans late game, and which one of Urshifu or Zamazenta depends on if you need to preserve the utility of Surging Strikes and Priority or Zamazenta's speed more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)