Gen 1 Clefable (NU) [QC 2/2] [GP 0/2]

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to its great bulk, excellent utility movepool, and solid attacking stats, Clefable cements itself as perhaps the most central Pokemon in NU. Its access to Thunder Wave and Body Slam enables it to be an excellent paralysis inducer, allowing teammates like Charizard, Mr. Mime, Nidoking, and Kabutops to rack up damage to help clean or wallbreak. Diverse coverage including Thunderbolt, Blizzard, and Hyper Beam makes Clefable difficult to switch into and allows it to break through both high-Special foes like Mr. Mime and physical walls like Golem. Clefable also has moves such as Sing and Counter as surprise options to ensure it is never truly predictable. Clefable's defensive typing also prevents it from being paralyzed with Body Slam, allowing it to switch into opposing Clefable as well as certain Charizard, Blastoise, and even Kingler sets.

Despite these upsides, Clefable's lack of resistances and low Speed allow it to be worn down quickly and can make it difficult to switch in against faster foes. Clefable is only able to outpace Golem, Exeggcute, Wigglytuff, and the rare Porygon. It is a popular revenge target for Venomoth to put to sleep, and as it is one of the central defensive pieces of the tier, its loss often makes for a difficult game. It also has difficulty fitting every move it wants, having to sacrifice utility or coverage to fit Hyper Beam to improve the Mr. Mime matchup.

[SET]
name: Bulky Support
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Blizzard / Hyper Beam
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hyper Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Body Slam and Thunder Wave are central to Clefable's utility in NU. Body Slam deters many switch-ins with the threat of paralysis and deals excellent damage. Thunder Wave intimidates Swords Dance users, punishes Fire Spin misses, and slows fast foes to allow other attackers, such as Kabutops, Kingler, and Nidoking, to punish foes that would otherwise outspeed and KO them, such as Mr. Mime. Blizzard and Thunderbolt provide coverage, threatening 2HKOs and 3HKOs against most of the tier. While both cover the Flying-types of the tier, Charizard and Moltres, Blizzard additionally covers Golem, Nidoking, and Exeggcute, while Thunderbolt provides coverage against Blastoise, Kabutops, and Kingler. Hyper Beam provides a good finishing move against opposing Clefable and is its strongest move against neutral targets like Mr. Mime.

Clefable often utilizes Hyper Beam in place of one of its attacking moves, as Body Slam + Hyper Beam usually results in a 2HKO against Mr. Mime and provides high damage against opposing Normal-types such as Clefable, Raticate, and Wigglytuff. Regardless of which move is dropped, however, Clefable suffers in coverage, choosing between losing the consistency of Body Slam, sacrificing its matchup against Water-types by giving up Thunderbolt, or being fully walled by Golem if surrendering Blizzard. Blizzard gives away the least matchups and is thus the safest pick for a typical team, but any move can be dropped depending on its allies' coverage.

Clefable is a mainstay of most teams as both the most effective answer to opposing Clefable and as a strong attacker and status spreader after opposing sleep is out of the picture, helping offensive teammates like Charizard and Mr. Mime clean up later in the game by softening the opposing team. A healthy Clefable can also beat nearly any foe one-on-one late-game, and so preserving it should often be a consideration as well. Even with its great bulk, Clefable is still vulnerable to being worn down by Fire Spin chip damage and taking hits as it switches in, and it is often strained by the demands placed on it as one of the few bulky Pokemon in the tier; bulky Water- and Rock-types like Blastoise, Kabutops, and Golem can relieve some defensive pressure and increase its longevity. Clefable can act as a paralysis absorber against Mr. Mime and opposing Clefable but should not be entirely relied on to tank hits.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Clefable can drop Thunder Wave for Hyper Beam if you wish to use Clefable purely for damage and do not need to enable teammates via paralysis, but this often gives up critical utility for minor gain. Sing allows Clefable to utilize its bulk to attempt to put a foe to sleep; however, with no reliable recovery, this is a risky way to compress roles and free a slot for another Pokemon and may result in losing Clefable for little to no value. Due to Clefable’s low Speed and Sing’s poor accuracy, it will often get paralyzed and struggle to land sleep moves. Psychic is an interesting option, 3HKOing Venomoth and allowing Clefable to reapply paralysis Speed drops against it and opposing Clefable, but this covers fewer matchups than most other options. Counter allows Clefable to improve its matchup against opposing Clefable, Raticate, and Wigglytuff, but opposing Clefable can use Blizzard for nearly equivalent damage while avoiding retaliation; it can also be used to switch into a Hyper Beam from Charizard or Kingler before returning lethal damage. Fire Blast 2HKOes Venomoth and Pinsir, but this is extremely niche due to Fire Blast's poor accuracy and Pinsir's rarity.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Clefable**: The most typical check to Clefable is one's own Clefable, as it is a difficult foe to switch into for most of the tier. Barring multiple full paralysis turns or critical hits, the typical outcome of this scenario is that one Clefable is KOed while the other is left low enough to be revenge killed by most foes.

**Fire-types**: Although Clefable is bulky, it is quite vulnerable to being whittled down by Fire Spin. Pokemon like Moltres, Charizard, and Ninetales can take on Clefable well, with Moltres nearly 2HKOing Clefable with Fire Blast. However, none of the Fire-types enjoy getting paralyzed themselves and may not wish to risk the matchup.

**Sleep**: Venomoth outspeeds Clefable and can easily enter after a KO, forcing the Clefable player to give up a Pokemon in retaliation. Clefable rarely wants to take sleep moves, and switching is even less ideal, forcing hard decisions.

**Normal-types**: Wigglytuff can reliably trade with Clefable, leaving one's own Clefable healthy to check other threats. It can also use Counter to return massive damage should Clefable hit it with Body Slam or Hyper Beam. Raticate falls just short of 2HKOing with Super Fang + Hyper Beam, with only a 20% chance to succeed, but still trades well with Clefable or can use Super Fang before allowing a teammate to finish it off.

**Rock-types**: Hyper Beam Clefable often leaves itself open to one of Kabutops or Golem by dropping either Thunderbolt or Blizzard, allowing these foes to freely set up or attack as it is forced out.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Sabelette, 583793]], [[5Dots, 543866]]
- Quality checked by: [[phoopes, 96315], [nicole7735, 593847]]
- Grammar checked by: [[autumn, 384270]]

Last edited by a moderator:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sup

Thanks to its great bulk, excellent utility movepool, and solid attacking stats, Clefable cements itself as one the premier threats in NU.
One of the premier threats. Though I personally wouldn't say threat I guess, I think threat is more for offensive mons. And Clef can do damage for sure but I think something more all-encompassing like "cements itself as a centerpiece of most NU teams" might be better. Could just be personal preference though.

enabling teammates like Mr. Mime, Nidoking, or Kabutops to rack up damage to help clean or wallbreak.
I think Charizard deserves a mention here.

Clefable is only able to outpace Golem, Exeggcute, and Wigglytuff. It is a popular revenge target for sleepers such as Poliwhirl and Venomoth, and as it is one of the central defensive pieces of the tier, its loss often makes for a difficult game.
Add Porygon to stuff it outspeeds (yes I know but it still sees enough NU usage) and remove Poliwhirl because BANNED lol

while Thunderbolt provides coverage against Blastoise, Poliwhirl, Kabutops, and Kingler.
removing another Poliwhirl mention.

Dropping Thunder Wave is an option if you wish to use Clefable purely for damage and do not need to enable teammates via paralysis.
Does anyone actually do this and use four attacks Clef? Might be better suited in the Other Options section.

Sing allows Clefable to utilize its bulk to attempt sleep; however, with no reliable recovery, this is a risky way to compress roles and free a slot for another Pokemon, and may result in losing Clefable for little to no value.
I'd mention that Sing's accuracy combined with Clef often taking paralysis is what dooms this most of the time (at least from my experience). I think Sing is a good pick tbh but having a <50% chance to hit once paralyzed is worth explicitly saying.

**Sleep**: Venomoth and Poliwhirl outspeed Clefable and can easily enter after a KO,
Last Poliwhirl mention that I caught

Wigglytuff can reliably trade with Clefable, leaving one's own Clefable healthy to check other threats.
Maybe throw in a mention of CounterTuff specifically as something that can really hurt (a Countered Hyper Beam OHKOs). I very rarely use Tuff though so if this sucks let me know lol

---

Not a ton to change tbh. Implement the obvious stuff and use your judgment for stuff you disagree with me on. QC 1/2

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sup

One of the premier threats. Though I personally wouldn't say threat I guess, I think threat is more for offensive mons. And Clef can do damage for sure but I think something more all-encompassing like "cements itself as a centerpiece of most NU teams" might be better. Could just be personal preference though.

I think Charizard deserves a mention here.

Add Porygon to stuff it outspeeds (yes I know but it still sees enough NU usage) and remove Poliwhirl because BANNED lol

removing another Poliwhirl mention.

Does anyone actually do this and use four attacks Clef? Might be better suited in the Other Options section.

I'd mention that Sing's accuracy combined with Clef often taking paralysis is what dooms this most of the time (at least from my experience). I think Sing is a good pick tbh but having a <50% chance to hit once paralyzed is worth explicitly saying.

Last Poliwhirl mention that I caught

Maybe throw in a mention of CounterTuff specifically as something that can really hurt (a Countered Hyper Beam OHKOs). I very rarely use Tuff though so if this sucks let me know lol

---

Not a ton to change tbh. Implement the obvious stuff and use your judgment for stuff you disagree with me on. QC 1/2
Implemented!

[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to its great bulk, excellent utility movepool, and solid attacking stats, Clefable cements itself as perhaps the most central Pokemon in NU. Its access to Thunder Wave and Body Slam enable it to be an excellent paralysis inducer, enabling teammates like Charizard, Mr. Mime, Nidoking, or Kabutops to rack up damage to help clean or wallbreak. Diverse coverage including Thunderbolt, Blizzard, and Hyper Beam makes Clefable difficult to switch into and allow it to break through both high-Special opponents like Mr. Mime and physical walls like Golem. Clefable also has moves such as Sing and Counter as surprise options to ensure it is never truly predictable. Clefable's defensive typing also prevents it from being paralyzed with Body Slam, allowing it to switch into opposing Clefable as well as certain Charizard, Blastoise, and even Kingler sets.

Despite these upsides, Clefable's lack of resistances and low Speed allow it to be worn down quickly and can make it difficult to switch in against faster opponents. Clefable is only able to outpace Golem, Exeggcute, Wigglytuff, and the rare Porygon. It is a popular revenge target for Venomoth to sleep, and as it is one of the central defensive pieces of the tier, its loss often makes for a difficult game. It also has difficulty fitting every move it wants, having to sacrifice utility or coverage to fit Hyper Beam to improve the Mr. Mime matchup.

[SET]
move 2: Blizzard / Hyper Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt / Hyper Beam Nidoking is much more likely to attack into Clefable and not having a move to bother it with vs Twave for Kabutops and Kingler really sucks, I think Hbeam should be slashed with both at least. Not being able to hit Golem is also terrible if the moveset gets revealed.
move 4: Thunder Wave

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Body Slam and Thunder Wave are central to Clefable's utility in NU. Body Slam deters many switch-ins with the threat of paralysis, deals excellent damage, and is bolstered by STAB. Thunder Wave intimidates Swords Dance users, punishes Fire Spin misses, and slows fast opponents to allow other attackers, such as Kabutops, Kingler, or Nidoking, to punish foes that would otherwise outspeed and KO them, such as Mr. Mime. Blizzard and Thunderbolt provide coverage, threatening 2-3HKOs against most of the tier. While both cover the Flying-types of the tier, Charizard and Moltres, Blizzard additionally covers Golem, Nidoking, and Exeggcute, while Thunderbolt provides coverage against Blastoise, Kabutops, and Kingler. Hyper Beam provides a good finishing move against opposing Clefable and is its strongest move against neutral targets like Mr. Mime.

Clefable is a mainstay of most teams as both the most effective answer to opposing Clefable and as a strong attacker and status spreader after opposing sleep is out of the picture, helping offensive teammates like Charizard and Mr. Mime clean up later in the game by softening the opposing team. Even with its great bulk, Clefable is still vulnerable to being worn down by Fire Spin chip damage and taking hits as it switches in, and is often strained by the demands placed on it as one of the few bulky Pokemon in the tier; bulky Water- and Rock-types like Blastoise, Kabutops, and Golem can relieve some defensive pressure and increase its longevity. Clefable can act as a paralysis absorber against Mr. Mime and opposing Clefable, but should not be entirely relied on to tank hits. I'd also just mention that Clefable beats just about everything 1v1 and with twave is a great check to just about every sweeper latagame if kept healthy.

Clefable often utilizes Hyper Beam in place of one of its attacking moves, as Body Slam + Hyper Beam usually results in a 2HKO against Mr. Mime and provides high damage against opposing Normal-types such as Clefable, Raticate, and Wigglytuff. Regardless of which move is dropped, however, Clefable suffers in coverage, choosing between losing the consistency of Body Slam, sacrificing its matchup against Water-types by giving up Thunderbolt, or being fully walled by Golem if surrendering Blizzard. Blizzard gives away the least matchups and is thus the safest pick for a typical team, but any move can be dropped depending on its allies' coverage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Clefable can drop Thunder Wave for Hyper Beam if you wish to use Clefable purely for damage and do not need to enable teammates via paralysis, but this often gives up critical utility for minor gain. Sing allows Clefable to utilize its bulk to attempt sleep; however, with no reliable recovery, this is a risky way to compress roles and free a slot for another Pokemon, and may result in losing Clefable for little to no value. Due to Clefable’s low Speed and Sing’s poor accuracy, it will often get paralyzed and struggle to land sleep. Counter allows Clefable to improve its matchup against opposing Clefable, Raticate, or Wigglytuff, but opposing Clefable can use Blizzard for nearly equivalent damage while avoiding retaliation; it can also be used to switch into a Hyper Beam from Charizard or Kingler before returning lethal damage. Fire Blast allows Clefable to catch an unsuspecting Pinsir by surprise, but this is extremely niche, as Pinsir is a rarity in the tier and is unlikely to switch into Clefable in most scenarios.
Mention Psychic here, much more viable of an OO than most of these as it lets Clef switch into Moth and pick it off from much earlier (Hbeam does this too but leaves you walled by certain mons). Psy is also a good click in the mirror for paralysis reapplication.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Clefable**: The most typical check to Clefable is one's own Clefable, as it is a difficult opponent to switch into for most of the tier. Barring multiple paralyses or crits, the typical outcome of this scenario is that one Clefable is KOed while the other is left low enough to be revenge killed by most foes.

**Fire-types**: Although Clefable is bulky, it is quite vulnerable to being whittled down by Fire Spin. Pokemon like Moltres, Charizard and Ninetales can take on Clefable well, with Moltres nearly 2HKOing Clefable with Fire Blast. However, none of the Fire-types enjoy getting paralyzed themselves and may not wish to risk the matchup.

**Sleep**: Venomoth outspeeds Clefable and can easily enter after a KO, forcing the Clefable player to give up a Pokemon in retaliation. Clefable rarely wants to take sleep, and switching is even less ideal, forcing hard decisions.

**Normal-types**: Wigglytuff can reliably trade with Clefable, leaving one's own Clefable healthy to check other threats. It can also use Counter to return massive damage should Clefable hit it with Body Slam or Hyper Beam. Raticate falls just short of 2HKOing with Super Fang + Hyper Beam, with only a 20% chance to succeed, but still trades well with Clefable or can Super Fang before allowing a teammate to finish it off.

**Rock-types**: Hyper Beam Clefable often leaves itself open to one of Kabutops or Golem by dropping either Thunderbolt or Blizzard, allowing these foes to freely set up or attack as it is forced out.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[phoopes, 96315], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Really good analysis, implement my suggestions as you see fit/discuss what you disagree with. QC 2/2

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
1/1 GP Team done
[OVERVIEW]
Thanks to its great bulk, excellent utility movepool, and solid attacking stats, Clefable cements itself as perhaps the most central Pokemon in NU. Its access to Thunder Wave and Body Slam enables (access to is singular) it to be an excellent paralysis inducer, enabling allowing teammates like Charizard, Mr. Mime, Nidoking, or and Kabutops to rack up damage to help clean or wallbreak. Diverse coverage including Thunderbolt, Blizzard, and Hyper Beam makes Clefable difficult to switch into and allows (parallel with "makes") it to break through both high-Special opponents foes like Mr. Mime and physical walls like Golem. Clefable also has moves such as Sing and Counter as surprise options to ensure it is never truly predictable. Clefable's defensive typing also prevents it from being paralyzed with Body Slam, allowing it to switch into opposing Clefable as well as certain Charizard, Blastoise, and even Kingler sets.

Despite these upsides, Clefable's lack of resistances and low Speed allow it to be worn down quickly and can make it difficult to switch in against faster opponents foes. Clefable is only able to outpace Golem, Exeggcute, Wigglytuff, and the rare Porygon. It is a popular revenge target for Venomoth to put to sleep (you can't "sleep" something, you "put it to leep" same with flinch/cause it to flinch), and as it is one of the central defensive pieces of the tier, its loss often makes for a difficult game. It also has difficulty fitting every move it wants, having to sacrifice utility or coverage to fit Hyper Beam to improve the Mr. Mime matchup.

[SET]
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Blizzard / Hyper Beam
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hyper Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Body Slam and Thunder Wave are central to Clefable's utility in NU. Body Slam deters many switch-ins with the threat of paralysis, deals excellent damage, and is bolstered by STAB (this is a new way to say the cursed "body slam is the stab move of choice" phrase so you could probably remove that unless its really important). Thunder Wave intimidates Swords Dance users, punishes Fire Spin misses, and slows fast opponents foes to allow other attackers, such as Kabutops, Kingler, or and Nidoking, to punish foes that would otherwise outspeed and KO them, such as Mr. Mime. Blizzard and Thunderbolt provide coverage, threatening 2-3HKOs 2HKOs and 3HKOs against most of the tier. While both cover the Flying-types of the tier, Charizard and Moltres, Blizzard additionally covers Golem, Nidoking, and Exeggcute, while Thunderbolt provides coverage against Blastoise, Kabutops, and Kingler. Hyper Beam provides a good finishing move against opposing Clefable and is its strongest move against neutral targets like Mr. Mime.

Clefable is a mainstay of most teams as both the most effective answer to opposing Clefable and as a strong attacker and status spreader after opposing sleep is out of the picture, helping offensive teammates like Charizard and Mr. Mime clean up later in the game by softening the opposing team. A healthy Clefable can also beat nearly any foe one-on-one late-game, (AC) and so preserving it should often be a consideration as well. Even with its great bulk, Clefable is still vulnerable to being worn down by Fire Spin chip damage and taking hits as it switches in, and it is often strained by the demands placed on it as one of the few bulky Pokemon in the tier; bulky Water- and Rock-types like Blastoise, Kabutops, and Golem can relieve some defensive pressure and increase its longevity. Clefable can act as a paralysis absorber against Mr. Mime and opposing Clefable (RC) but should not be entirely relied on to tank hits.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Clefable can drop Thunder Wave for Hyper Beam if you wish to use Clefable purely for damage and do not need to enable teammates via paralysis, but this often gives up critical utility for minor gain. Sing allows Clefable to utilize its bulk to attempt to put a foe to sleep; however, with no reliable recovery, this is a risky way to compress roles and free a slot for another Pokemon (RC) and may result in losing Clefable for little to no value. Due to Clefable’s low Speed and Sing’s poor accuracy, it will often get paralyzed and struggle to land sleep moves. (or whatever the move is) Psychic is an interesting option, 3HKOing Venomoth and allowing Clefable to reapply paralysis Speed drops against it and opposing Clefable, but this covers fewer matchups than most other options. Counter allows Clefable to improve its matchup against opposing Clefable, Raticate, or and Wigglytuff, but opposing Clefable can use Blizzard for nearly equivalent damage while avoiding retaliation; it can also be used to switch into a Hyper Beam from Charizard or Kingler before returning lethal damage. Fire Blast 2HKOes Venomoth and Pinsir, but this is extremely niche due to Fire Blast's poor accuracy and Pinsir's rarity.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Clefable**: The most typical check to Clefable is one's own Clefable, as it is a difficult opponent foe to switch into for most of the tier. Barring multiple paralyses or crits (:worrywhirl:) full paralysis turns or critical hits, the typical outcome of this scenario is that one Clefable is KOed while the other is left low enough to be revenge killed by most foes.

**Fire-types**: Although Clefable is bulky, it is quite vulnerable to being whittled down by Fire Spin. Pokemon like Moltres, Charizard, (AC) and Ninetales can take on Clefable well, with Moltres nearly 2HKOing Clefable with Fire Blast. However, none of the Fire-types enjoy getting paralyzed themselves and may not wish to risk the matchup.

**Sleep**: Venomoth outspeeds Clefable and can easily enter after a KO, forcing the Clefable player to give up a Pokemon in retaliation. Clefable rarely wants to take sleep moves, and switching is even less ideal, forcing hard decisions.

**Normal-types**: Wigglytuff can reliably trade with Clefable, leaving one's own Clefable healthy to check other threats. It can also use Counter to return massive damage should Clefable hit it with Body Slam or Hyper Beam. Raticate falls just short of 2HKOing with Super Fang + Hyper Beam, with only a 20% chance to succeed, but still trades well with Clefable or can use Super Fang before allowing a teammate to finish it off.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[phoopes, 96315], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)