Clean Slate

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Interrupting votes for another announcement: The council has decided to have short analyses written for each Pokemon in the Clean Slate metagame! We're only going to start with a select list of well-tested Pokemon to be written, and the council will be acting as a sort of Quality Control team. We highly recommend that writers have some degree of experience with the Pokemon they're writing for, but outside of that there's no restriction for reserving and writing analyses.
Each analysis should be posted as a separate post on this thread, and approved analyses will go into the OP. Maximum of 2 analyses reserved at a time.

Available:
Nihilego
Druddigon
Forretress
Tapu Bulu
Celesteela
Ditto
Lanturn
Meganium
Milotic
Swampert (Mega Included)
Flygon
Metagross
Mew
Raichu
Trevenant

(B ranks and newcomers Xurk+Gene aren't available due to being under-explored)

*Picture of Pokemon*
OVERVIEW:
*Describe the pros and cons of using this Pokemon and what its general function is*

Set: *Name*
*Pokemon* @ *Item*
Ability:
EVs:
*** Nature
-
-
-
-

SET COMMENTS:
*Describe what each move on the set does, unless it's self-explanatory (saying "recover heals half the user's HP" is a waste of time)*

CHECKS AND COUNTERS:

*List specific checks and counters to the Pokemon in question*

OVERVIEW:
Toucannon's access to Poison Heal, STAB Beak Blast, and solid defensive typing in tandem with solid defensive stats ensures its place as one of the premier physically defensive Pokemon in the Clean Slate metagame, checking dangerous physical attackers such as Metagross, Druddigon, and Mega Swampert. Toucannon also functions as a stallbreaker due to its access to Swords Dance. However, Toucannon's weakness to Rock-type means that it is easily switched in on and forced out by Nihilego, one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame, due to the threat of Power Gem. Additionally, increased Stealth Rock damage greatly hinders Toucannon's walling potential as long as they are on the field.

Set: Swords Dance
Toucannon @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Beak Blast
- Knock Off / U-Turn / Seed Bomb

SET COMMENTS:
Swords Dance allows Toucannon to threaten bulky cores and clean up weakened teams once its checks and counters are removed. Beak Blast cripples attackers such as Metagross, Pangoro, and Trevenant while also hitting neutral targets hard after a boost. Knock Off provides solid neutral coverage alongside Beak Blast, crippling switch-ins by removing their items. U-Turn allows Toucannon to scout counters early game. Seed Bomb immediately threatens Swampert and hits Rhydon for heavy damage. Defog is also an option in the 4th slot, but Toucannon should not be ran as the sole hazard-remover usually due to its weakness to Stealth Rock.

CHECKS AND COUNTERS:

Electric-types: Xurkitree, Flaaffy, Lanturn, and Vikavolt resist Beak Blast and immediately threaten Toucannon back with their Electric STAB. Raichu also forces Toucannon out but takes heavy damage from a Beak Blast due to its pathetic bulk.

Rock-types: Rhydon and Nihilego both don't care about Beak Blast's burn chance and threaten Toucannon back with Stone Edge and Power Gem, respectively. Rhydon must be wary of Seed Bomb, however.

Special Attackers: Toucannon has underwhelming special bulk and is easily forced out by powerful special attackers such as Poipole, Genesect, Cloyster, Sharpedo-Mega, and Unown.

Cofagrigus: Mummy neutralizes Poison Heal, making it that Toucannon cannot attack Cofagrigus without risking heavy Toxic damage. Cofagrigus also deals heavy damage to it with Hex and has the physical bulk to easily take even boosted Beak Blasts.

Ok please resume your planned voting

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Reserving Forretress, will edit this post with analysis

edit:

OVERVIEW:
Forretress is a fantastic defensive pivot due to its good physical bulk, solid hazard control with Rapid Spin, and Bug/Steel typing that helps it check attackers such as Raichu, Gardevoir, and Sharpedo. However, it suffers from being very passive, and Fire-type coverage can damage it greatly or OHKO it outright.

Regenvest
Forretress @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Earthquake / X-Scissor
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

SET COMMENTS:
Iron Head is its main STAB, hitting Gardevoir, Mew, and Audino-Mega for supereffective damage. Earthquake is good coverage for Iron Head and also OHKOs Raichu, but you can also opt for X-Scissor as a second STAB that also OHKOs Unown. Rapid Spin controls hazards on the field, which can support its teammates that are susceptible to residual damage or weak to Stealth Rock. Volt Switch pivots into another teammate, which is very helpful due to its very low speed protecting said teammate from taking a hit when switching in.

CHECKS AND COUNTERS:
*Fire-type STAB and coverage:* Fire Blast from defensive Meganium is a 2HKO after rocks, and Flare Blitz from Tapu Bulu is a clean OHKO. Additionally, Forretress needs to watch out for Fire-type coverage like Porygon-Z's Hidden Power Fire and Unown's Flame Plate Judgement.

*Trapinch:* Trapinch can switch in on a predicted Volt Switch and eliminate it with Fire Fang.

*Knock Off:* If its Assault Vest is knocked off, it becomes significantly less bulky, allowing it to be threatened more on the special side.

*Bulky Set-up Sweepers:* Forretress cannot touch Pokemon like Swampert, Trevenant, or Tapu Bulu, so they can freely switch in and use Bulk Up.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Probably should've closed earlier

I win with my Garchomp 2

Name of Pokemon: Kommo-O
Role: Set-Up Sweeper, Offensive Pivot, Hazards, Sandstorm Setter, Choice Scarf
Type:

Abilities:
Battle Armor | Sand Stream (HA)
Stat Distribution: 75 / 106 / 80 / 67 / 110 / 102 (540 BST)
Movepool Additions: U-Turn
Movepool Removals: Rock Slide, Rock Tomb, Dragon Dance
Justification: Kommo-O serves 3 important purposes: The obvious one is Sand Stream, which this is a fine setter of. The second one is Kommo-O is a great way to make Grass coverage not such a no-brainer over Ice coverage on Electrics, being a Dragon-type that actually blocks Volt Switch. The third one is that Kommo-O has a neat 102 speed tier, which both outspeeds Nihilego (making it a decent choice for Gravity teams) yet underspeeds Unown, which revenge kills, helping to populate the 100+ speed tier that is so sparse. As for what it actually does in battles, it's a fine Stealth Rock setting offensive pivot or a threatening Swords Dance sweeper. It can also function as a fine Scarfer, I guess.
Scoopapa wins with Cacturne (I believe, if I miscounted votes please tell me):

New Stats: 70 / 120 / 82 / 118 / 70 / 65 | BST: 525 ( +25 Def )
Justifictaion: Just patching up an achilles heal on a pokemon that didn't need it. Cacturne can actually switch in on resisted hits now.
And that's it for submissions and balancing in the forseeable future. If you haven's seen it yet, check out our Resources Thread too!

Tuthur

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Since the meta has a settled down since Cacturne's buff and Komo-o's arrival, I believe we can talk about the Pokémon that need a buff just like Cacturne did.
I) The worst ones

Porygon-Z suffers from its shitty typing which let it easily weakened by hazards damages. That coupled with its average bulk leaves PZ with a trash staying power. Bug is also a really poor offensive typing which is resisted by most wall/tank such as Nihilego, Audino-M, Forretress, Flygon, Celesteela and to an extent Druddigon, Flaafy and Toucannon. From rank S to A- there is only 2 bug weak Pokémon (Meganium and Unown) which means that Porygon-Z will often suffers to pressurize the opposing team. Porygon will also struggle to set-up with Nasty Plot, Agility or Conversion. It suffers from 4mss since it needs STAB Bug Buzz, Psyshock for Nihilego, Ice Beam for Flygon, Drudiggon, Flaafy and Toucannon, Hidden Power Fire for Forretress, Nasty Plot for Audino, Lanturn and Celesteela and Agility/Trick Room for offense. There is no real reason not to use a fast special attacker such as Raichu, Unown or Ninjask over Porygon-Z.
What can be made?
There are several ways to make PZ better since it needs to find a niche in the current metagame. Porygon-Z needs to get an unique niche that no other Pokémon can perform.
Examples:
New ability: Speed Boost as an ability to make it a better cleaner, offensive threat while still struggling with coverage, Protean to let it unwallable but still struggling with offense. An ORAS Gale Wings clone for Bug-move can turn it into a dangerous revenge killer and cleaner with powerfull and fast Bug Buzz.
Stats buff: Bulk or Speed.
Movepool: U-Turn, Heal Order (if Gale Wings), Bug-type Topsy Turvy (if Gale Wings), Fire-type coverage, Quiver Dance

Raticate-A struggles to find a place in the current metagame because Gravity is worst than other weather condition/terrains. Indeed unlike Cacturne, Ninjask or Genesect, Raticate-A is useless without its weather with a pitifull 71 base Attack and 77 base Speed. Removing Gravity isn't really hard since M-Pert and Komo-o can played outside of Rain and Sand-team, but also revenge killing Raticate under Gravity isn't hard because of it's slowness. It's hard to justify using Gravity over other weather conditions, and to run CeleRat over XurkGene, JaskPert or KomTurne.
What can be made?
We need to make Gravity more attractfull, this can be made by buffing Extreme Bulk and Faticate Speed. Raticate needs to not be a deadweight outside of Gravity and not being easily revenge killed under Gravity.

Vikavolt might be just underexplored but I feel like it's really underwhelming. In fact it struggles to break through Nihilego, Lanturn, Swampert, Rhydon and Kommo-o which are top tiers threats. Technician boosted Hidden Power are very potent but Vikavolt needs Grass to hit Swampert, Rhydon and Lanturn, Ice to hit Kommoo and Fire to hit Forretress which leaves it with a 4mss. It can't realiably click Volt-Switch because every Ground-type punishes it because of its quad Ground weakness. Vikavolt suffers from its lackluster movepool and to an extent from its bad typing.
What can be made?
Vikavolt needs to get an other coverage than Hidden Powern, Bug and Steel. Giving it Energy Ball back or an Ice-move would let it be far better. Another option I can imagine, is giving it Power Gem and an ability that allows it to bypass Electric immunity (1k arrows clone).

I want be to long with this one. Lycanroc is a glass cannon that lacks speed. It gets outsped by Kommo-o, Unown, Sharpedo, Ninjask, Raichu and Offensive Nihilego, and it doesn't have any way to touch them because it doesn't have any priority.
What can be made?
Lycanroc needs either strong priorities or a better Speed Tier. But i believe a mix of both is the good way to go.
II) The bad ones

After a few cheap damages from U-Turn/Volt Switch it's very hard to set up Musharna, add to this that it struggles with the two of the three most common Special Wall. It's also a Fairy-type that can't handle Kommo-o which kind of sucks. I suggest to slightly increase Mush's bulk.

The number of Pokémon that Trapinch can trap is very low because a lot of top tiers are ungrounded, Ghost-types or carries U-Turn. It's also a poor Electric-check because it takes a lot from Raichu's Ice Beam and Xurk's Energy Ball. I believe that Trapinch needs a buff in SpD and let Arena Trap trap Ghost-types.

Flaafy has an incredible bulk but is easily chipped because of no passive recovery, SR weakness and relying on Wish to get its health back. I believe that just giving Flaafy Roost and a Flying-type Giga Drain clone will solve all its problems.

Cloyster is hard to use in a team because its needs several boost to become threatening, is easily revenge killed (but like really easily) and is walled by Lanturn and Forretress which are really common. I believe that giving Cloyster Ice-coverage back isn't a bad idea, but also and especially turn Vicious Mockery into a Psycho Boost clone.

That was just some of my thoughts.

With regards to Porygon Z, I would like if the (hypothetical) buffed version is still designed around the ability Malware. I would make an analogy here to Pangoro, who has a similar ability: Intimidate. With Pangoro's uninvested base 93 Defense stat, it has an uninvested Def of 222. Boost that 50% to account for your effective defense on a switch in, and it's 333, or the equivalent of an uninvested 148 base Defense. I bring up this analogy because Porygon-Z still underspeeds Raichu after a Malware drop, so his +1 Speed tier is good, but nothing as outstanding as a 148 base stat. I think making Porygon Z have a ditto-esque +1 Speed tier would be a good route to go, given that it has limitations on it's ability to effectively be at that speed. It's also about as minor a change as we could do.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
I'm going to comment on Tuther's points and bring up some of my own quickly:

While I have no issue with giving this guy his Ice coverage back (honestly a Pokemon of this type should probably be borderline "unwallable" anyhow) but I'm not a big fan of making Vicious Mockery a pyscho boost clone- That would be an instant win against slower teams and especially Stall, as the only Unaware user is weak to Hydro Pump and it makes Mega Audino a much shakier check (Basically mandates Abyssal Lanturn, but that gives Raichu free reign). Personally I would be for Ice coverage and an HP buff so it can pivot in on stuff like utility Kommo and other physical attackers. It also usually beats Lanturn because most run Volt Absorb.

I'm all for Roost, idk if a Flying type Giga Clone would even be used when its so strapped for slots as is. Maybe Oblivion Wing would be more appealing.

I'm thinking a speed and/or an attack buff is in order seeing as Gravity is super easy to overwrite. Putting it into the 90-99 speed tier would make it much more of a threat to offensive teams when Gravity is up, and maybe it could get an alternate ability like Tough Claws for non-gravity usage.

Yeah Vikavolt is too limited, Tech is basically mandatory to function but Levitate is so appealing. I'm thinking give it Power Gem and Energy Ball back so that Tech sets get a cool Hidden Power type to work with while Levitate sets have interesting defensive utility.

Literally ass

I'm seeing a 110ish speed tier I think, but yeah it definitely needs more speed

I'm personally against a Pinch buff just because Arena Trap in general is super potent and I'm sure some sort of cheese offense will be found that uses Pinch and I'd rather not buff it to being a common sight

I'm all for a bulk buff

Outside of maybe Gardevoir (but that's more Nihi's fault) I don't see many more problematically bad mons, so that's it. Perhaps a balance slate soon.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Here's a quick dump of my personal favorite team that I've built:

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Fire Fang

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ditto @ Quick Powder
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Transform

Druddigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Shadow Claw
- Glare

Forretress @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- X-Scissor
- Self-Destruct

Unown @ Mind Plate
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Judgment
- Aura Sphere
- U-turn
- Explosion

I don't think I've ever had more fun with a team than with this one (outside of maybe my Mega Guzzlord webs team from MFA). It's very satisfying to tear through an opponent's team with Mega Sharpedo and Unown after taking out a key member of the opponent's backbone with Trapinch. Here's a summary of each team member's role:

Trapinch: This guy can consistently get 1-2 kills per game if played correctly, with Eject Button Forretress and Explosion Unown allowing it to get in way safer than it ever should be allowed to. Pinch's main goal is to trap Forretress, Lanturn, Xurkitree, Metagross, really anything it can get its hands on, therefore opening the way for Mega Sharpedo or Unown to clean up the opponent's team. Sucker Punch is also cool for emergency priority against something like an opposing Mega Sharpedo.

Sharpedo-Mega: My personal favorite Pokemon in the metagame, Mega Sharpedo is the epitome of "clicking buttons". Once its counters are removed, there's no switching into this thing. And Trapinch is the perfect teammate to get those counters out of the way. HP Ice is ran because Trapinch cannot trap Meganium or Druddigon, so hitting them is pretty cool.

Ditto: Speed control and spikes in one slot, great role compression. Makes great sack fodder in matchups it doesn't contribute to.

Druddigon: In my opinion, Druddigon is an essential on offensive teams. Good natural bulk, Stealth Rock, and full control of the hazard removal game makes this dragon massively useful. Not to mention it can delete a pokemon with a well played Z. Glare is also a broken move.

Forretress: Specifically designed for use with Trapinch. Eject Button and Self-Destruct both get Trapinch in safely and Rapid Spin is also cool. Regenerator means it doesn't totally lose momentum if you mess up and predict wrong when trying to trigger Eject Button.

Unown: Secondary wincon, and Psychic Terrain is nice for screwing up Ninjask (who can give this team some trouble). There's fun to be had in blowing up on a counter and bringing in Trapinch for the free kill.

In conclusion, I think Trapinch has been underestimated and has huge offensive potential. Cheese time!

Replay of the team in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7cleanslate-7504

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
In celebration of the tournament's success, we're having a buffing slate!

Here's the agenda:

Porygon-Z Buff/Rework: This duck is widely agreed upon to be the worst Pokemon in Clean Slate. This is mainly due to its atrocious STAB and coverage options making it much weaker than its fantastic 120 SpA would make you think. Not to mention that its speed is very low and only serviceable by Malware. Even then it's not anything amazing (can't even outspeed Raichu at -1, much less Ditto and the Scarfers). There is a pretty wide range of changes that can be made to fix this, so I'm excited to see where you guys take this.

Vikavolt Buff: Vikavolt faces heavy competition from other electrics (mainly Xurkitree). If it runs levitate in order to patch up its defensive typing it loses access to both its Rock STAB and good coverage options while Technician really hurts how many opportunities it has to switch in. Not to mention that TR isn't exactly a viable archetype with its partner Sigilyph finding usage as an offensive Defog user and not a TR setter. There's some pretty obvious options to buff it here (Power Gem, Energy Ball, Levitate becomes standard and quite viable), but I'm interested to see if someone can find a way to make both Levitate and Technician appealing options.

Raticate-Alola-Totem Buff/Rework: It's not easy being a rat. While Raticate's partner, Celesteela, is still a perfectly usable defensive pivot the Rat has had a harder time keeping up with the metagame. This can be attributed to how easy it is to overwrite Gravity and Pangoro or Genesect being the premier Scarfers, both of whom has no difficulty taking out Raticate. There's a fairly large variety of ways to make Raticate more consistent with the current Extreme Bulk, but there's also the option to rework how the Rat interacts with Gravity as a whole in order to make it slightly less dependent on the weather while still keeping it primarily as a Gravity abuser.

Flaaffy Buff/Rework: This thing is still so awkward to use and just doesn't offer much that other defensive pivots can't do. The Ground-type immunity doesn't mean much when it loses to both Rhydon and usually Swampert.

Additionally, there will be votes on:
Lycanroc-Midnight: No Speed change, 104 Speed, 107 Speed, 110 Speed (feel free to propose other tiers in the thread and your justification, I may add them to the vote when we hit voting slate.)
Cloyster: No Change, Ice Coverage given back

One last thing...
Submissions for a Gardevoir-Mega are also open!
Remember to make sure it doesn't eclipse base Gardevoir's role and fills a new and unique niche in the metagame. Up to 2 new moves can be added to Gardevoir's movepool if deemed necessary for your mega (I'm sure base Garde would appreciate the moves regardless). Have fun with this and please do not make it overpowered!

New Stats: 85 / 85 / 70 / 120 / 75 / 85 | BST: 520
Reasoning: I mostly outlined the reasoning in this post. This will outspeed Scarf Pangoro and Ditto at -1. It's now a unique revenge killer with a lot of sheer power at the cost of poor STAB. 85 Speed is probably enough for Download to be useable, as well, which might make Z-Conversion more viable.

New Stats:
77 / 70 / 95 / 130 / 110 / 34 | BST: 516 ( + 25 Def, + 25 SpD )
New Moves: Nasty Plot, Power Gem, Earth Power, Energy Ball
Reasoning: The reasoning for the defense boosts is simple: Trick Room setters generally need to be bulky in order to be successful. Think of it this way: there are plenty of Pokemon that can move first and hit hard without needing to set up a field condition for them ( much less one that only lasts 5 turns and needs to be set by a move rather than a switch-in ). Trick Room Pokemon hit hard, are bulky, and move first ( under Trick Room ). Nasty Plot is there to help with Trick Room's matchup against bulky teams; it may not always run it, but an "ultimate Trick Room abuser" should be able to fulfill this niche if need be. The extra STAB and coverage options help it be more of an immediate threat, an area in which I also think it was somewhat lacking.

New Stats: 122 / 71 / 55 / 40 / 65 / 77 | BST: 430 ( + 15 Def, + 15 SpD )
New Moves: Ice Fang, Seed Bomb
Reasoning:
In my opinion, Raticate's biggest issue is dying to basically everything. Rather than upping its speed and giving better sweeping opportunities, I'd rather just let it survive a hit ( hey, it worked for Cacturne ). I've already seen Raticate do well on Gravity Balance teams where it functions as a wall breaker, so this should just help it actually enter the field of battle. Ice Fang and Seed Bomb target Kommo-O and Mega Swampert, 2HKOing both in their own weathers. Keep in mind, though, that Raticate has somewhat limited room for these coverage moves.

New Stats: 65 / 35 / 115 / 95 / 75 / 45 | BST: 430
New Type:

New Ability:
Cute Charm / Fluffy | Adaptability (HA)
New Moves: Calm Mind, Trick Room, Psychic, Psyshock, Ice Beam,
Reasoning: An oddball Eviolite user that can have absurd resistance to contact moves ( in exchange for a 4x Fire weakness ), or high-powered STAB moves that might be useful on a Trick Room set. It's really damn bulky with Eviolite, especially with Fluffy, but it has a pretty abysmal defensive typing. Just as an example Choice Band Metagross' Iron Head does not 2HKO a 252 HP / 0 Def Fluffy Flaafy.

Stats: 70 / 80 / 115 / 130 / 135 / 80 | BST: 610*
Ability: Levitate
New Moves: Moonlight, U-turn,
Reasoning: Gardevoir has a fantastic support movepool including moves like Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, and Taunt, so going for bulk on the mega allows it to use these attributes in a way that neither clean slate nor real Gardevoir can. Levitate is a defensive ability that makes it a surefire Kommo-O switch in, something that's in short supply currently. U-turn is a solid option for base Gardevoir because it tends to exert a lot of pressure and yet be completely reliant on prediction, making U-turn a safe move for it to take advantage of.

Lycanroc: 110
Cloyster: Give Ice coverage back

Last edited:

Pokemon: Flaaffy
Abilities: Natural Cure / Static / Fur Coat
Stats: 100 / 55 / 40 / 90 / 70 / 60
New Moves: Roost
+1 252+ Atk Swampert Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 76-91 (18.8 - 22.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 130-154 (32.2 - 38.2%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 205-243 (50.8 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 84-100 (20.8 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy in Rain: 88-105 (21.8 - 26%) -- 5.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Rhydon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Flaaffy: 288-342 (71.4 - 84.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Flaaffy: 192-228 (47.6 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Nihilego Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Flaaffy: 210-247 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Unown Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Flaaffy: 135-159 (33.4 - 39.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Flaaffy in Electric Terrain: 171-202 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Splintered Stormshards vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 332-392 (82.3 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Lycanroc-Midnight Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 176-210 (43.6 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Fur Coat Flaaffy: 112-135 (27.7 - 33.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see, Flaaffy is hard to break physically if you aren't using super-effective attacks, but it's special bulk isn't anything special even after Eviolite, allowing it to be more easily killed.
Reasoning: Some of Flaaffy's major downfalls were it's lack of reliable recovery and inability to really benefit from Fluffy and it's interesting Electric/Flying typing. Fur Coat allows it to really become a good physical wall and pivot. I'm a little skeptical that this might be too tough to beat on the physical side and it might outclass Toucannon, let me know if you think there's a problem.

Stats: 70 / 85 / 85 / 140 / 135 / 95 (+15 Atk, +5 Def, +25 SpA, +45 SpD, +15 Spe)

Ability: Flower Flurry (Doubles Spe in Grassy Terrain)
Reasoning: Mega Gardevoir has a much better Speed tier, and in grassy terrain, outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame and most of the boosted. However, it doesn't have the raw power of Gardevoir with a boosting item. It is also frail physically, leaving it vulnerable to physical priority. It forms a nice offensive core with Tapu Bulu, taking out threats like Meganium while Bulu can kill Forretress and other threats to Gardevoir.

Lycanroc: 104 Speed
I think underspeeding Mega Sharpedo prevents Lycanroc becoming too powerful with its good STAB combo and powerful Z-Move.
Cloyster: Free Ice coverage
It might be good to go all or nothing, Contrary can be hard to handle so maybe just do Icy Wind or something

I'll edit it more later

Last edited:

New Stats: 85 / 85 / 90 / 120 / 95 / 65 | BST: 540
New moves: Quiver Dance, Heat Wave
Reasoning: I noticed there ins't a Quiver Dancer yet in the Clean Slate meta so here you go. I increased Porygon's bulk a bit too to make it easier to set up. Also Heat Wave because I hate Forretress. However, it still gets walled by either Nihilego, Lanturn, Druddigon, Forretress, Audino or Musharna depending on the coverage it chooses.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Porygon-Z
New Type:
Bug/Electric
New Movepool Additions: U-Turn, Volt Switch
Justification: Porygon-Z was bad because of its lack of dual STAB and both bad offensive and defensive typing. Now, it gets to hit Flying-types like Toucannon with STAB, and is able to pivot out like a good revenge killer.

Vikavolt
Abilities:
Levitate / Analytic / Sheer Force
New Movepool Additions: Power Gem, Earth Power
Justification: Analytic gives Vikavolt a niche outside Trick Room for extra power when forcing switches or moving last, while Sheer Force powers up its offensive presence by boosting Thunderbolt significantly. Earth Power gives it coverage against Rhydon and Forretress while still being checked by Swampert.

Raticate-Alola-Totem
Abilities:
Thick Fat / Gluttony / Extreme Bulk
New Stats: 112/111/50/40/50/87 (450 BST)
Custom Elements: Extreme Bulk: This Pokemon has 1.5x Attack while Gravity is active.
Justification: The main downside to Raticate-Alola-Totem was its bad Attack stat outside of Gravity and low speed tier. A significant increase to its Attack and a slight increase to Speed alleviates this problem, and Extreme Bulk is nerfed to compensate.
Base 71 at level 100 with 31 IVs, 252 EVs at +2: 482.
Base 111 at level 100 with 31 IVs, 252 EVs at +1: 481.

Flaafy
Abilities:
Natural Cure / Static / Cloud Nine
New Stats: 100/55/50/100/60/35 (400 BST)
Justification: Now that there are many weather users and abusers, Cloud Nine really comes in handy.
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Flaaffy: 157-186 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Raticate-Alola Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Flaaffy: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Technician Ninjask Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Flaaffy: 178-210 (44 - 51.9%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO
(both of Cacturne's STABs are walled by Flaaffy anyway)

Lycanroc-Midnight: 104 Speed (outspeeds Unown, outsped by Sharpedo-Mega)
Cloyster: Give it a low-power Ice coverage move (e.g. Glaciate)

Gardevoir-Mega
Role(s):
Revenge Killer, Hazard Control, Mixed Attacker
Ability: Excavate
Stat Distribution: 70/130(+60)/100(+20)/125(+10)/105(+10)/80
Movepool Additions: Extreme Speed, Rapid Spin
Custom Elements: Excavate: Normal-type moves become Ground-type and have 1.2x power.
Justification: A very useful priority abuser and offensive spinner, it can revenge kill the various wallbreakers in the tier. The only problem is, it barely has any physical movepool nor physical boosting moves, essentially forcing it to run a mixed set. It keeps its mediocre speed tier and is also walled by Nihilego.

Last edited:
porygon-z.gif

Pokemon: Porygon-Z
New Typing: Bug-Psychic
New Stats: 85/85/70/125/75/78 (+5 SpAtk, +13 Speed)
New Moves: U Turn
Reasoning: Porygon-Z has a horrible speed tier for a revenge killer. 78 allows Porygon to outspeed many more Pokemon after Malware, but ends up slower than unslowed Xurkitree. A +5 bonus to Special Attack gives it a similar punch to Mega Audino, although it trades Defenses for better Speed. Secondary STAB will give Porygon-Z a huge advantage over its current self. Psychic was the most fitting one I could think of that didn’t make it steal the spotlight of too many other Pokemon.

gardevoir-mega.gif

Pokemon: Mega Gardevoir
New Stats: 70/90/130/130/90/95 (+20 Atk, + 50 Def, +15 SpAtk, + 15 Speed)
Ability: Grounded (When the user switches in, the foe gains the effects of Gastro Acid)
New Moves: Aftershock, Moonlight
Aftershock: Ground type U Turn clone
Reasoning: Mega Gardevoir becomes a physically defensive Pokemon with the ability to shut down many weather abusers and Poison Heal Pokemon. Its strengths lie in disrupting more composed teams and forcing the opponent to switch. Its weaknesses lie in it being statistically inferior to Pokemon such as Mega Audino due to being average in every stat but Defense and Special Attack.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)

New Stats: 122 / 71 / 40 / 40 / 50 / 87 (+10 Spe)
New Moves: Sucker Punch
Justification: 87 base speed makes it outspeed the very crowded 70-85 speed tier (plus this thing was outsped by Poipole, a comparatively powerful breaker that could go physical or special and didn't rely on a weather, like what lol). Sucker Punch is likely balanced now with how prevalent Dark-resists are and that it makes it more threatening to offense when Extreme Bulk is active (Quick Attack has never done work for me).

New Type:

Abilities:
Static / Natural Cure | Fluffy
New Stats: 100 / 55 / 60 / 90 / 60 / 50 (+20 Def)
New Moves: Roost, Hurricane, Flash Cannon
Justification: Flaaffy will always be heavily competing with Xurk as long as it has an Electric typie so I decided to retype it (again) in order to give it more of a niche. And what I got was, well, Skarmory. But for real, 100/60 physical bulk alongside Fluffy makes it a fantastic physical check to anything that isn't Tapu Bulu or weird stuff like Smack Down Rhydon. It still hates Knock Off, faces competition from the much more threatening (thanks to SD) Toucannon, and isn't particularly bulky specially unless invested. Oh and you need to decide between hitting for 0 with Air Slash or praying to RNGesus for Hurricane to land.

Gardevoir Mega
Roles:
Hazard Control
Type:

Ability:
Magic Bounce
Stat Distribution: 70 / 85 / 120 / 130 / 105 / 100 (605 BST, +15 Atk, +40 Def, +10 SpA, +15 SpD, +20 Spe)
Movepool Additions: Ice Beam, Moonlight
Justification: An interesting Stall or Semistall pick that beats Druddigon (the best setter in the tier) handily, but still requires support thanks to its poor defensive typing. Also, it's another Ice-type, because we only have 1 so far (not that it matters, but Ice has always been an interesting defensive typing to me when played right). Also, Moonlight is a shadow buff to base Garde so that's neat.

Last edited:

Tuthur

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Name of the Pokemon: Gardevoir-Mega
Role(s): Priority Abuser, Offensive Pivot
Type:

Abilities: Triage
Stat Distribution: 70/70/110/160/120/80 | 610 (+30 Def, +40 SpA, +30 SpD)
Movepool Additions: Drain Switch
Custom Elements:
Drain Switch:
70 Base Power, 100% Accuracy, Allows the user to switch out, leeches 50% of the dealt damages (Volt-Switch+Giga Drain clone).
Justification: Gardevoir-Mega is a great support for offensive team thanks to its access to several +3 priority moves in Queen Kiss, Drain Switch and Healing Wish. Gardevoir-M might seems a bit overpowered with 70 base power priority STAB, however it still struggles against Nihilego and Forretress while now also struggling with Psychic Terrain.
Drain Switch is also a really cool move for base Gardevoir.
Finally Mega Garde doesn't overshadow base Garde which has stronger fire power with Pixilate boosted Drain Switch and Hyper Voice, moreover Choice Specs and Life Orb Gardevoir hits harder than Mega-Gardevoir.
Pivot
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
Timid Nature
- Drain Kiss
- Drain Switch
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Calm Mind
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Drain Kiss
- Earth Power
- Psyshock

Name of the Pokemon: Porygon-Z
Role(s): Revenge Killer, Wallbreaker
Type:

Abilities: Malware / Download | Analytic
Stat Distribution: 85/85/85/135/85/95 | 570 (+15 Def, +15 SpA, +10 SpD, +30 Spe)
Movepool Additions: Volt-Switch, Heat Wave, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Ember, Incinerate
Custom Elements: Malware: Steals opponent stats raises upon switch-in (Intimidate+Spectral Thief clone)
Justification: Ice/Fire gives Porygon-Z is a worst defensive typing than pure Bug, however it's a better offensive typing. I also find that Clean Slate lacks Ice-type and quad weakness to Stealth Rock (which doesn't make it bad, look at Zard-Y, Moltres and Volcarona). Porygon's biggest strength is Malware which allows it to reverse sweep just like Ditto in standard Pokémon. Tho Porygon-Z still struggles to break through Water-types (Pert, Milo and Lanturn) and Nihilego, and is weak to common priority such as Mach Punch from Pangoro and Water Shuriken from Ninjask. It also pairs well Milotic.
Choice Scarf
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Malware
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Volt-Switch

All Out Attacker
Porygon-Z @ Firium-Z / Leftovers
Ability: Malware
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Recover / Nasty Plot
252 SpA Porygon-Z Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Nihilego: 248-292 (58.9 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Porygon-Z Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Lanturn: 153-181 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 132-156 (32.7 - 38.7%) -- 91.9% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Swampert: 190-225 (47.1 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Porygon-Z Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 70-82 (26.8 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Porygon-Z Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo-Mega: 120-142 (45.9 - 54.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Name of the Pokemon: Flaaffy
Role(s): Defensive, Pivot
Type:

Abilities: Fur Coat
Stat Distribution: 100/55/40/105/60/40 | 400 (+15 SpA)
Movepool Additions: Oblivion Wing, Roost
Justification: Flaafy is really hard to wear down because of its impressive bulk boosted by an Eviolite coupled with one of the best defensive typing. However it still strugles against most special attacker and Rock-types.
Defensive Pivot
Flaaffy @ Eviolite
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog / Wish
- Oblivion Wing
- Volt-Switch
Lycanroc: 110 Speed
Cloyser: Ice coverage back

Last edited:
Just FYI, we discovered today that Gardevoir's stat spread in the spreadsheet is off. Namely, it's SpA is 5 points too low; it should be 120, not 115, and its BST is 510, not 505. Therefore, Mega Gardevoir should have a 610 BST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)