Circus Discord?

Asek

Banned deucer.
I think it is time we splinter from the firebot discord and got our own place. we could host real time mafia there or w.e and get proper advertisement for this section of the site in the affiliated discord section of smogon. the circus community is honestly pretty distant from whatever the rest of that server is at this point, it feels weird to have them combined in the first place

I did speak to dle about this earlier but i want to get wider community opinions (especially from the other mods) on this

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
i'm very open to the idea but want to see what people think before making a move, as i've said on discord

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One of the key advantages of having a fully fledged server is the ability to split up discussion of certain games to ensure they don’t get drowned by the more general chat, which would in particular be useful for things like live mafia etc. although im sure if you look hard enough you’ll find another game that benefits from this.

You can also assign temporary roles with a lot more freedom/fluidity which is obviously useful for things like temporary power roles/pmods etc.

Honestly circus is a 15x more active channel than the entire rest of the server so it feels odd to have it be a single channel in a larger server.

I don't know, it seems like a lateral move more than anything. Not like that's a bad thing.

I thought Isa brought up a good point in discord and the above post is good too. Although you could do all the above things in the current discord. I guess I get that splitting two distinct communities makes a lot of sense on paper but practically doesn't really accomplish much?

I think it would be important to have people who are actually active at doing all of the above. If everyone is open to experimenting and willing to change channels/permissions/whatever then I think it could be a good thing. I don't think it'll drastically change anything, but I guess it would recognize circus as being an "active" community to whoever is interested.

I can't think of very many downsides, so why not?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd fully support a separate discord channel.

I feel like what we do is separate enough and I think having our own server could let us better communicate with the different niches within circus more effectively. Roles for survivor players or for people in big smogon officials, etc could help notify people of certain games in a more organized manner (I think of it not just a channel organization, but also more effective role power pinging).

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wanted circ discord to be separate from the start, heh.

Pros: ability to compartmentalize games/discussions by channel. Makes it so that game hosts don't have to make a distinct server for games anymore (perhaps some system where the mods grant temporary role perms to hosts or something along those lines). Further customization wrt bots and shit that would be extraneous at best on the greater socforums server. More legitimacy as a distinct community rather than a weird offshoot of socforums.

Cons: Getting everyone moved over. Would probably require more active oversight from the mods (especially if the game host thing winds up becoming a thing). Requires proper advertisement to avoid making the community even more invisible than it already is.

Personally I think the pros far outweigh the cons. I think it's a lateral move at worst.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
I'm in favour but if you're going to move servers please ensure that the new server is fairly active. Live games, deadchats for forum games, w/e you want to use it for please actually use it.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Compartmentalization for games is good, keep the discussion central. I've been part of more communities than probably everyone else that have undergone this kind of move and without doubt the easiest way to kill a relatively small community is to splinter the primary locus of communication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)