Partially Approved Changing Open Team Sheet decision in VGC to be before Team Preview

With the current implementation, during preview, I think seeing the opponents 6 can influence whether a person chooses to open their sheet or not. In addition, I've frequently had games where someone starts timer and then only selects OTS, in the last few seconds of preview, which doesn't lead to more informed preview stage as would happen in a live event.
My thought to approach this would be to have the OTS choice happen before preview, and ideally I think as a person locks a team in for matchmaking
I made this mock-up to demonstrate what I was thinking exactly.
If possible the checkbox could be there conditionally, only when a relevant format is chosen (i.e VGC 2023 RegA, B, C, ...) before locking in
1679013384303.png

I think implementing it this way has no impact on the existing flow of playing the ladder, it doesn't halt preview once a match was found, or other wise behave intrusively on the user experience

Mathy

i'm not chien pao
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
This would effectively split the ladder into OTS and non-OTS, which is thing we are trying to avoid in the first place with the current setup.
The choice wouldn't change the matchmaking in this case, it just affects how the room is set up, much like the spectators checkbox.

Karthik

time heals all
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
The choice wouldn't change the matchmaking in this case, it just affects how the room is set up, much like the spectators checkbox.
If the intention here is to only auto accept open team sheets, then there are also reasons to not have the checkbox. Much like I just did, players can get confused on what the checkbox actually does, and think that it will make them only match with players who also want OTS.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
If someone wants to add a battle option to auto-accept OTS on all battles (in a similar way to how automatically starting timer works), that's totally fine - the developer working on this can add it to battle options. Karthik's correct that we won't be supporting an independent "OTS-only search" for the reasons we didn't just create two ladders (which you can see summarized here). The recommendation here is in any case significantly harder to implement than just creating two ladders.

I'm partially approving this, just so that any developer who is interested knows they can work on implementing a convenience feature of auto-accepting OTS in those formats that allow OTS, in a similar way to how we implement auto-starting timer.

To clarify, I wasn't suggesting separate ladders or anything approaching that. And I acknowledge my mockup text could have been clearer to that end.
I just feel that OTS decision should happen before information from preview influences it. Auto-accepting as you describe does go some distance in enabling that in a practical outcome sense, thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)