Rejected - Inactive change how /ds works with banlists and tiers

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
So as it stands, doing /ds <banlist/tier> will not show alternate formes of a Pokemon. For example, if I do /ds publ, it will only show base Silvally despite there being several other formes that exist in PUBL. This can be contrasted with me doing /ds nu, which yields all the formes.

This might be, however, because base Silvally isn't tiered NU. When I was looking at the results in /ds nu, I noticed that base Rotom was listed, but the formes -Frost and -Fan were not. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I wanted to post it here because I think it'd be useful for the command to yield the alternate formes. It's misleading to have /ds publ not show all the other Silvally formes that were banned; similarly, it's misleading to show only the base Rotom as tiered NU when two other formes are as well.

(my apologies if this is the wrong subforum to post this; I wasn't sure if this classified as a bug or not)

So as it stands, doing /ds <banlist/tier> will not show alternate formes of a Pokemon. For example, if I do /ds publ, it will only show base Silvally despite there being several other formes that exist in PUBL. This can be contrasted with me doing /ds nu, which yields all the formes.

This might be, however, because base Silvally isn't tiered NU. When I was looking at the results in /ds nu, I noticed that base Rotom was listed, but the formes -Frost and -Fan were not. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I wanted to post it here because I think it'd be useful for the command to yield the alternate formes. It's misleading to have /ds publ not show all the other Silvally formes that were banned; similarly, it's misleading to show only the base Rotom as tiered NU when two other formes are as well.

(my apologies if this is the wrong subforum to post this; I wasn't sure if this classified as a bug or not)
I don't think this is a bug in the sense that currently, /ds shows everything that fits with the base form as the base form.
Simple example of last gen:
/ds ice, dragon, !uber gave you kyurem, not kyurem-black, because kyurem worked. As long as kyurem works, it'll only show kyurem (since the site assumes every form of kyurem falls under the nomer 'kyurem' as long as it doesn't say otherwise)

the same with /ds levitate, electric, !OU and /ds levitate, electric, ou
https://i.imgur.com/bjPgdEF.png
It'll give you Rotom no matter what because Rotom (base) fits your /ds, and all its subforms are by default excluded because (I think) it wrongfully assumes forms will also fit.

tldr I wouldnt call this a bug personally since the /ds system simply follows the rule 'only display base form unless base form does not work, then show all forms that do work.'

I do think that this can be improved on, since for example Rotom-Heat is definitely not OU. A person searching for Rotom forms out of OU would not know this info, at all, unless they go ahead and add !ghost to their search, which is an odd thing to expect. On the other hand, I really have no need/desire to see all silvally forms whenever I /ds something, which is why I assume the system acts the way it acts. /ds ubers shouldn't give me all Arceus forms (bc I know they're in ubers, it just clogs the results); so I think it's gonna be hard to figure out what the middle ground there should be

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
I don't think this is a bug in the sense that currently, /ds shows everything that fits with the base form as the base form.
Simple example of last gen:
/ds ice, dragon, !uber gave you kyurem, not kyurem-black, because kyurem worked. As long as kyurem works, it'll only show kyurem (since the site assumes every form of kyurem falls under the nomer 'kyurem' as long as it doesn't say otherwise)

the same with /ds levitate, electric, !OU and /ds levitate, electric, ou
https://i.imgur.com/bjPgdEF.png
It'll give you Rotom no matter what because Rotom (base) fits your /ds, and all its subforms are by default excluded because (I think) it wrongfully assumes forms will also fit.

tldr I wouldnt call this a bug personally since the /ds system simply follows the rule 'only display base form unless base form does not work, then show all forms that do work.'

I do think that this can be improved on, since for example Rotom-Heat is definitely not OU. A person searching for Rotom forms out of OU would not know this info, at all, unless they go ahead and add !ghost to their search, which is an odd thing to expect. On the other hand, I really have no need/desire to see all silvally forms whenever I /ds something, which is why I assume the system acts the way it acts. /ds ubers shouldn't give me all Arceus forms (bc I know they're in ubers, it just clogs the results); so I think it's gonna be hard to figure out what the middle ground there should be
yea that's why I mentioned I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not

i do think there is improvement to be made here mostly because it's just really confusing to see the silvallys that are tiered nu to all appear but not all the rotom formes, and especially so to see only base silvally in publ

yea that's why I mentioned I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not

i do think there is improvement to be made here mostly because it's just really confusing to see the silvallys that are tiered nu to all appear but not all the rotom formes, and especially so to see only base silvally in publ
Yeah the system has worked for a good while because there haven't really been many cases of it failing, but Silvally's very different tierings do seem to make it a more relevant issue

A potential solution to this issue is to make /ds work differently when you include a tier in your /ds result.
Eg.: /ds NU, Electric, Levitate would show you Rotom-Fan, Rotom-Frost, Rotom-Base rather than just rotom base; but /ds electric, Levitate would stick

OR

As soon as a form of a Pokemon mismatches the command, all forms that don't mismatch are shown.
/ds electric, levitate, !overheat; would result in all Rotom forms and Rotom because Rotom-Heat is mismatching.

Just two ideas that might be worth considering

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)