Project CAP Teambuilding Competition

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Congrats to SHSP for winning this week! NMI Syclant is a demon and a half.

This week we are going with Crucibelle. Similar to Stratagem, the Flying-heavy meta has breathed new life into Crucibelle, as it remains a surprisingly solid check to Tornadus-T and Zapdos. It can be a devastating support choice in the right hands.

Deadline for this week is April 4, 12:00 AM GMT -4

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
:Crucibelle: :Tornadus-Therian: :Astrolotl: :Mienshao: :Amoonguss: :Slowbro:

BATTERY GANG

(click the sprites)

DetroitLolcat — 02/08/2022

fuck it, GOAT regenerator core:

slowbro
tornadus-therian
astrolotl
glowking
pex

Spitmore — 02/08/2022
hell yea
glowking doesnt fit
but hell yea

regular slowking?

Spitmore — 02/08/2022
no no lmao

MIENSHAO?

Spitmore — 02/08/2022
first 3 are enough
SHAO is real
i agree with that

bro torn lotl shao pex
amoonguss
or do we throw in a cruci for SR

Spitmore — 02/08/2022
sir you are evil and we need a ground type
ive got it
we use
RUNERIGUS
we wandering spirit the tornadus and get our own regen

lmao
we dont need a ground type we just use amoonguss to eat the kokos
bro torn lotl shao pex amoong

Spitmore — 02/08/2022
bro
bro
i dont like the fact that this works
i really dont
zapdos cooks us into the ground but hey

replace someone with a cruci
pex?
bro torn lotl shao amoong cruci

pannuracotta — 02/08/2022
-
Ok I've had enough

Mono-Regen squad is here! We start with Crucibelle because it's the only viable Regenerator mon to get Stealth Rock. It also provides great role compression, serving as a Zapdos check, Trick user, revenge killer, and SR user all at once. SR is necessary on Crucibelle here, and a secondary STAB like Gunk Shot isn't that necessary because Amoonguss performs so well against Fairies such as Koko, Fini, and non-CM Clefable. A common pitfall is to Trick the scarf too early - although this team is relatively fast with Astrolotl and Tornadus-Therian, without Scarf Cruci there's no way to outspeed Syclant (without a tie), Zeraora, opposing Tornadus-Therian, or even meaningfully hit Venomicon-E. Crucibelle should never take a Knock Off with Slowbro on the bench.

The next mon on this squad is Tornadus-T. While classic HDB Defog is a little out of style, it's the best set for this team. Crucibelle's weakness to Bullet Punch makes Tornadus-T my only viable Cawmodore check. This also forces Heat Wave over Hurricane. Sadly enough, with no Ghost resist on this team Tornadus becomes the default Pajantom switch-in. It's usually best to just sacrifice Tornadus to Pajantom in order to Knock it. I went with max Speed in order to get the tie against Syclant - it's a very annoying mon for this team to face and I'll take any out I can get against it.

Astrolotl's next. Encore Astrolotl really is the linchpin of this team, preventing bulky setup sweepers from running train on the squad. An interesting use of Astrolotl is as a Pyroak switch-in, Encoring the Overheat before switching to Crucibelle who threatens it out with Stone Edge. As risky as this sounds, this team - between Crucibelle, Astrolotl, and Tornadus-Therian - has PP stalled Pyroak's Overheat before. Encore is your best recourse against base Venomicon too. Astrolotl also provides Spikes support. I've considered Will-o-Wisp over Stomping Tantrum before to better deal with Landorus-T and Revenankh, but the pressure on Heatran that Stomping Tantrum provides is nice too.

Mienshao's more than just a discount Urshifu (okay, it's really not...)! It's faster and can run Life Orb thanks to Regenerator. Mienshao provides the offensive side of our FuturePort core. Stone Edge is absolutely necessary over Poison Jab or Ice Punch in order to hurt Zapdos, who is otherwise a pain for this squad. Mienshao has Zoroark-level defenses: it basically has to be pivoted in, which isn't too hard on a squad with two other U-Turn users and a Slowbro. The only damage Mienshao should really be taking is from hazards, Life Orb, and Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet. Even neutral hits, like Boots Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt, will KO Mienshao. Very little can switch into Mienshao behind a Future Sight. Just remember that Mienshao's Speed is only 105, leaving it behind Blacephalon, Kartana, and even Adamant Weavile.

Amoonguss is an absolute demon to face, checking Tapu Fini, Electric-types (even Zapdos, albeit with difficulty) and Dragapult. Assault Vest Amoonguss is very hard to kill. It can take a Timid Heatran's Eruption from full health, even with SR down on its own side. Foul Play punishes nooby Cawmodore or Garchomp users who try to set up, while Stomping Tantrum can delete a Heatran that dare switch into Sludge Bomb. It can even take an Overheat from Pyroak and try to poison it with Sludge Bomb, but this isn't recommended. Without Amoonguss, this team becomes very, very weak to specs Dragapult because there is no Ghost resist.

Slowbro rounds out the squad. Body Press with Colbur Berry was the only choice, as SD Weavile would run this team over otherwise. Slowbro protects the rest of the squad's items by absorbing Knock Off and pivoting with Teleport. Slowbro is also the only Psychic resist and should be your go-to guy against scarf Lele (if they Moonblast, you're fine - Crucibelle and Amoonguss both take it easily). Even stronger Knock Off users like Weavile and Colossoil tremble before Slowbro. Future Sight synergizes well with Mienshao, while the rest of the set is self-explanatory. Note that even with Regenerator, Slowbro greatly enjoys hazards being off the field. SR and a layer of Spikes nearly cancel out Regenerator. I've considered No Item on Slowbro before to handle Revenankh.

This is, fundamentally, a spikestack bulky offense team that claims KOs using FuturePort. It's important to keep Pokemon's HP high even with Regenerator. If you switch Torn into Pajantom, for example, you have to switch it out twice before Paj comes back in if you want it to switch in again. If you switch Slowbro into Venomicon-E's Coil to pivot in Crucibelle, you need to get Slowbro in and out again to take another +1 Brave Bird. However, with all the regenerating, it's possible to stretch the ability to its limits and PP stall Pokemon like Zapdos. If you switch between Amoonguss, Crucibelle, and Astrolotl, for example, Zapdos will almost certainly miss enough Hurricanes that you straight-up win without ever clicking an attacking move.

This team was successful in the ladder tour, peaking in the mid-1400s and finishing the week at the cutoff with 1414. Here's a replay of it on the high ladder: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1530068545

Last edited:

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sadly, DLC was the sole participator this week; however, I'll give him the dub cause I know how damn annoying his team is to face.

To spice things up a bit this week, we're going to look at our first non-CAP! Galarian Zapdos has been a terror and a half to face due to its unparalleled ability to punish Landorus-T. It's prowess as an offensive pivot with unique synergy with Tapu Koko and Zeraora make Gapdos a force to be reckoned with.

Deadline: April 11, 12:00 AM GMT -4

DetroitLolcat rn:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)