Project CAP Teambuilding Competition - Week 5: Priority (Building)

Looking back, I would change the Hisuian Zoroark set.

Anyway

:astrolotl::plasmanta::great tusk::tomohawk::scizor::kingambit:
https://pokepast.es/91a7b0deae850772

I decided to make Astrolotl my Encore mon, even if it would rather have Will-O-Wisp. Plasmanta is actually pretty helpful against the Water types and books that Astrolotl can struggle with. Great Tusk gives me a Ground type and Rapid Spin support. Tomohawk gives me Stealth Rock support, as well as something to deal with Great Tusk, which the first half of this team is weak to. At this point I notice I am weak to Iron Valiant and Dragapult, hence Scizor and Kingambit. Double priority is cool too.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
:dragapult::kingambit::great tusk::scream tail::smokomodo::rotom-wash:

Part of why I chose Encore as the theme for this week was because I wanted an excuse to build with Scream Tail, the mon saw a big uptick in OU usage around the time Wake dropped but I think it's still pretty decent in CAP despite it losing a niche as a WW check. Wish support is honestly incredible in this meta- keeping stuff like Tusk/Kingambit/Rotom healthy is just so damn good, and access to fast Encore lets you avoid being overly passive in such an fast-paced offensive tier. Tail is also bulky enough to check stuff like Kril semi-reliably which is really helpful to BO builds like this that would get shredded otherwise. The other fun pick here is Smoko, felt like I needed a good Moonblast and Skeledirge switch-in that would be able to keep offensive pressure up so here we are. Could go Blitz > Morning Sun with a more offensive EV spread but that seemed to get worn down way too quickly in the one or two games I played with this team, even with Wish Support. Rest of the squad is pretty standard. Perhaps Specs Pult would be an improvement but I'm very low on that set these days so opted for the cooler WispHex.

:tomohawk: :roaring moon: :gholdengo: :grafaiai: :rotom-wash: :garganacl:

Prankster Encore is the way to go. Seriously, this monkey has such a cool kit. Encore+Knock is a really deadly combo since you can punish switches with item removal. Priority parting shot is great since all of the teammates have great defensive typing/bulk that can get supported by the stat drop. It is a pretty no-drawback lead on this team. Most ladder opponents I face don't expect the Encore either when I switch in for some reason. Cawmadore, Roaring Moon, Kingambit and Dragonite can be a headache because of priority/dark typing - but the other teammates can usually take care of these threats and prevent a full sweep. Tomohawk deserves special mention here for its great synergy with Grafaiai. I'm not sure scarf rotom is super optimal here but it certainly has the element of surprise on it's side, too bad Jumbao puts it in the blender. I like it though since offensive rotom has a more favorable matchup into Equilibra and Argho.

Last edited:

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
May or may not have forgotten to close building, but onto the next phase! Here are the three teams:

Team A
:astrolotl::plasmanta::great tusk::tomohawk::scizor::kingambit:

Team B
:dragapult::kingambit::great tusk::scream tail::smokomodo::rotom-wash:

Team C
:tomohawk::roaring moon::gholdengo::grafaiai::rotom-wash::garganacl:

48 hours!

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Team B by spoo is the winner! The Hall of Fame has been updated with all winning teams.

Week 4: Poison-types
:sv/clodsire::sv/toxapex:
1680592049008.png
:sv/amoonguss:

Everyone's familiar with Venomicon-P and Iron Moth. But what about the lesser used Poison-types that CAP has to offer? This week, build a team around a Poison-type ranked B+ or lower on the VR. You can some inspiration from OU and run AV Pex, maybe focus on the underused CAPs in Crucibelle and Venom-E, or hell, be deranged and build Qwilfish Rain. The choice is yours! Deadline is this Saturday.​

:lokix: :venomicon-epilogue: :gholdengo: :cyclohm: :arghonaut: :equilibra:

I already posted my Grafaiai team last week ... so guess that's out the window.
I'm determined to win a teambuilding comp, so I present DOUBLE TINTS! The strategy is to abuse the busted defensive/hazard backbone of Libra, Argo, Ghold, and Cyclohm and pave the way for Venomicon-E and Lokix to clean up late game. What makes Tinted Lens cool is that this strategy can actually work in reverse, since Libra, Ghold, and Cyclohm all have the offensive stats and staying power to win games after the bug and the book get big hits off on an opponents defensive answers especially when you use tera for the damage boost.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Gonna extend this another 12/24hours cause it works better with my schedule this weekend + lack of submissions

:iron valiant::krilowatt::hydreigon::skeledirge::amoonguss::great tusk:
Originally built this because I wanted to try out a more offensive Skeledirge set, but Amoong happened to be a really good partner because it checks a lot of the stuff that Dirge would otherwise answer with a traditional bulky spread. Tusk rounded out the core very nicely, compressing hazard control and providing a much needed check to Kingambit, while Hydreigon gave me an answer to opp Skeledirge, a ghost resist, and ground immunity, while still being offensively threatening in its own right. Needed something sorta fast and strong so went with Valiant - you could easily run a scarf set here imo, I'm not sure which is actually better but I enjoy the ebelt set for demolishing fat stuff. Kril made the most sense last slot as a wallbreaker + pivot + Garg switch. Four water teras might not be optimal but couldn't think of anything better to use off the top of my head, would be something to test for though.

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Better late (again) than never, woo

Team A
:lokix: :venomicon-epilogue: :gholdengo: :cyclohm: :arghonaut: :equilibra:

Team B
:iron valiant::krilowatt::hydreigon::skeledirge::amoonguss::great tusk:

It seems I am contractually obligated to vote for Team A

edit: leaving this open until sunday the 16th, busy week and i’ve fallen behind schedule

Last edited:

spoo

CAP Co-Leader
Team B by spoo is the winner!

Week 5: Priority
:sv/dragonite::sv/azumarill::sv/colossoil::sv/breloom:

And we're back! With all the HO spam going around, I figured it would be fun to explore strong priority mons for this next round. Teams should be built around (or at least feature) a mon that utilizes priority in some way –– Prankster, Fake Out, Sucker Punch, etc etc, anything goes. Given the low activity of this thread, this will probably be the last round until CAP32's release / HOME drop. So make it count!!! Deadline is Saturday morning -4.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)