Tournament CAP Metagame Forum Tournament Queue and Tournament Approval Thread

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tournament Name: SS CAP Budget Tournament

Tournament Host: Me

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will open during the last week of CAPPL VI and will stay open for another week thereafter. The tournament will likely conclude before the release of CAP 28.

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Competition, years of PS! CAP room tournaments

Tournament Description: This tournament forces participants to build their teams on a budget of 50 points with Pokémon assigned prices based upon their viability ranking at the time of the battle. Pokémon of rank S to A+ cost 15 points, A to A- cost 12, B+ to B cost 10, B- cost 7, C cost 5, and unranked cost 1. This system is based on the ZU Low-Budget Tournament.

Tournament Style: Double Elimination Bo1 SS CAP singles

Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP banlist. It should be noted that teams are allowed to have fewer than 6 Pokémon if the participant so desires.

Tournament Justification: The purpose of this tournament is to encourage the use of lower tier Pokémon in the SS CAP metagame. Currently there’s a lot of discussion surrounding buffing the weaker and less effective CAPs. This tournament presents an opportunity to provide insight in terms of what they might lack, as well as how we may have underestimated their effectiveness in the tier. Additionally, this may encourage the discovery of niche sets on standard Nintendo Pokémon, and should provide those invested in the SS CAP metagame with something to do between the end of CAPPL VI and CAP 28’s release tour.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: SS CAP Budget Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will open during the last week of CAPPL VI and will stay open for another week thereafter. The tournament will likely conclude before the release of CAP 28.

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Competition, years of PS! CAP room tournaments

Tournament Description: This tournament forces participants to build their teams on a budget of 50 points with Pokémon assigned prices based upon their viability ranking at the time of the battle. Pokémon of rank S to A+ cost 15 points, A to A- cost 12, B+ to B cost 10, B- cost 7, C cost 5, and unranked cost 1. This system is based on the ZU Low-Budget Tournament.

Tournament Style: Double Elimination Bo1 SS CAP singles

Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP banlist. It should be noted that teams are allowed to have fewer than 6 Pokémon if the participant so desires.

Tournament Justification: The purpose of this tournament is to encourage the use of lower tier Pokémon in the SS CAP metagame. Currently there’s a lot of discussion surrounding buffing the weaker and less effective CAPs. This tournament presents an opportunity to provide insight in terms of what they might lack, as well as how we may have underestimated their effectiveness in the tier. Additionally, this may encourage the discovery of niche sets on standard Nintendo Pokémon, and should provide those invested in the SS CAP metagame with something to do between the end of CAPPL VI and CAP 28’s release tour.
approved

Tournament Name: CAP Doubles Revival Tour

Tournament Host(s): Me and Airwind

Tournament Time Frame: Signups start August 23 and end a week from then on August 30th. Afterwards, you have about a week to finish your battle. It should end within 2-3 months.

Host experience: Airwind: Hosted Nostalgia for ORAS CAP tour, SM CAP Doubles. Myself: Uhh, I participated in roomtours?

Tournament Description: Its a Double Elimination (heh), single player tour. The banlist is the DOU banlist and dynamax is also banned. I feel this tour helps introduce a meta currently very primative, as the last CAP Doubles tour was in Gen 7.

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: CAP Doubles Revival Tour

Tournament Host(s): Me and Airwind

Tournament Time Frame: Signups start August 23 and end a week from then on August 30th. Afterwards, you have about a week to finish your battle. It should end within 2-3 months.

Host experience: Airwind: Hosted Nostalgia for ORAS CAP tour, SM CAP Doubles. Myself: Uhh, I participated in roomtours?

Tournament Description: Its a Double Elimination (heh), single player tour. The banlist is the DOU banlist and dynamax is also banned. I feel this tour helps introduce a meta currently very primative, as the last CAP Doubles tour was in Gen 7.
iirc Cawmodore has been an issue with past CAP Doubles, so consider adding it to the banlist also. otherwise approved, pm if you need any assistance

iirc Cawmodore has been an issue with past CAP Doubles, so consider adding it to the banlist also. otherwise approved, pm if you need any assistance
Yes, Cawmodore is probably gonna get the boot, but I have a few reasons for not banning it immediately.
#1 To see how it actually works in the meta. What teams does it fit on? What strategies can teams use to keep it from dying? What other sets can spring up besides belly drum?
#2 Prankster Tomo running haze, wether because of cawm or not, is quite good in the meta and worth running.

Yes, Cawmodore is probably gonna get the boot, but I have a few reasons for not banning it immediately.
#1 To see how it actually works in the meta. What teams does it fit on? What strategies can teams use to keep it from dying? What other sets can spring up besides belly drum?
#2 Prankster Tomo running haze, wether because of cawm or not, is quite good in the meta and worth running.
1) It pretty much would just Belly Drum most of the time with Mew's supporting through Fake Out and Transform. It could potentially set up Tailwind but it otherwise got outclassed by its Belly Drum set.

2) Is there anything else that can reliably check Cawmadore? From what I've seen, Tomohawk is pretty bad in Gen 7 with the Tapu roaming around, nobody's running Hurricane unless it has Drizzle there and its general lack of utility options there besides Stealth Rock. While Generation 8 lacks the former, I feel like Tomohawk will still be held back by the latter two issues. There's no Urshifu Single Strike to check, Volcarona is having a suspect test and checking Rillaboom can be fulfilled by other Pokemon. I suppose there's Cyclohm with Shield Dust blocking Fake Out and Whirlwind, but I don't think it would be good if there's only a limited number of options that can check Cawmadore and it can proceed to demolish most of them.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
Tournament Name: CAP UU Sword and Shield Start Up Tour

Tournament Host(s): Me

Tournament Time Frame: Signups start this Sunday and end at around 5 days give or take. Afterwards, you have about a week to finish your battle. It should end within a month.

Host experience: Hosted two different iterations of CAP UU tours in the past, a CAP Monotype one and a CAP OM Mashup tour.

Tournament Description: Single elimination tour bo3, designed with the primary intention of solidifying the CAP UU metagame. Giving the recent spike in development for CAP SS and USM, it would be good for one of the side metas to get the development it deserves as well.

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: CAP UU Sword and Shield Start Up Tour

Tournament Time Frame: Signups start this Sunday and end at around 5 days give or take. Afterwards, you have about a week to finish your battle. It should end within a month.

Host experience: Hosted two different iterations of CAP UU tours in the past, a CAP Monotype one and a CAP OM Mashup tour.

Tournament Description: Single elimination tour bo3, designed with the primary intention of solidifying the CAP UU metagame. Giving the recent spike in development for CAP SS and USM, it would be good for one of the side metas to get the development it deserves as well.
Approved, but remind me how CAP UU is defined please

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
Tournament Name: Pre-28 Regular Tour

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-ups open for one week. Should conclude before 28’s release

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Tournament, SS CAP Budget Tournament, years of PS! CAP room tours

Tournament Description: Regular old SS CAP tour. No special rules or anything

Tournament Style: Single Elimination Bo1 SS CAP singles. Playoffs and finals will be Bo3

Tournament Banlist: Standard SS CAP banlist

Tournament Justification: With the ladder being barren and official roomtours sometimes having as few as two participants, the CAP metagame lacks a real outlet for high-level play at this time. At the behest of people on the metagame council I’d like to initiate a standard CAP tour to allow for plenty of seriously competitive play before the release of CAP 28 and Crown Tundra. This will allow for exploration of the meta without the restrictions on the budget tour.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: Pre-28 Regular Tour

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-ups open for one week. Should conclude before 28’s release

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Tournament, SS CAP Budget Tournament, years of PS! CAP room tours

Tournament Description: Regular old SS CAP tour. No special rules or anything

Tournament Style: Single Elimination Bo1 SS CAP singles. Playoffs and finals will be Bo3

Tournament Justification: With the ladder being barren and official roomtours sometimes having as few as two participants, the CAP metagame lacks a real outlet for high-level play at this time. At the behest of people on the metagame council I’d like to initiate a standard CAP tour to allow for plenty of seriously competitive play before the release of CAP 28 and Crown Tundra. This will allow for exploration of the meta without the restrictions on the budget tour.
_lA8z8.gif

(To be clear, this tour is approved)

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
Tournament Name: SS CAP Crown Tundra Release Team Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups open during the first week of playoffs for the CAP 28 Release Tour. Depending on the number of participants, this may last well into the new year.

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Tournament, SS CAP Budget Tournament, SS CAP Regular Tournament, years of PS! CAP room tours

Tournament Description: Users sign up in teams of three in order to battle other groups. After each team plays each other the two with the most wins move on to the finals. I'm interested in having a restriction similar to that of sparktrain's Cyclohm Cup in which each group can only use a Pokémon once in a week, effectively applying the Species Clause to every team a group brings. However, as this might be divisive, I plan on putting it to a vote in the sign-ups.

Tournament Style: Team-based round robin with single elimination playoffs. Individual matches are best of one.

Tournament Banlist: Standard SS CAP banlist (additional restrictions may apply)

Tournament Justification: The point of this tournament is to encourage innovation in the new meta after the release of Crown Tundra and CAP 28. I personally believe players can push the meta further when they work in groups and strategize rather than through individual effort. Ideally by the time this starts the meta will have leveled out significantly after certain Pokémon are banned to Ubers.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: SS CAP Crown Tundra Release Team Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups open during the first week of playoffs for the CAP 28 Release Tour. Depending on the number of participants, this may last well into the new year.

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Tournament, SS CAP Budget Tournament, SS CAP Regular Tournament, years of PS! CAP room tours

Tournament Description: Users sign up in teams of three in order to battle other groups. After each team plays each other the two with the most wins move on to the finals. I'm interested in having a restriction similar to that of sparktrain's Cyclohm Cup in which each group can only use a Pokémon once in a week, effectively applying the Species Clause to every team a group brings. However, as this might be divisive, I plan on putting it to a vote in the sign-ups.

Tournament Style: Team-based round robin with single elimination playoffs. Individual matches are best of one.

Tournament Banlist: Standard SS CAP banlist (additional restrictions may apply)

Tournament Justification: The point of this tournament is to encourage innovation in the new meta after the release of Crown Tundra and CAP 28. I personally believe players can push the meta further when they work in groups and strategize rather than through individual effort. Ideally by the time this starts the meta will have leveled out significantly after certain Pokémon are banned to Ubers.
Cyclohm Cup 2 sounds like a good name for this, but approved regardless of what name you choose. Be sure to note what day signups end / the tour begins since it sounds like it won’t start immediately

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
Tournament Name: SS CAP Snake Draft

Tournament Time Frame: Signups for general managers will open soon(ish?) and run until we have at most 6 people willing, likely within a few days. Immediately following that, player signups will open and run for two weeks. Once sign-ups end we'll iron out a time to hold the draft. Week one will start immediately afterward. Depending on the number of participants this will run for 1.5 to 2 months.

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Tournament, SS CAP Budget Tournament, SS CAP Regular Tournament, SS CAP Cyclohm Cup, years of PS! CAP room tours

Tournament Description: This is a draft based team tournament modeled after Smogon's Snake Draft. Managers will be assigned an order, then follow that order to draft players in a snaking fashion (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). Every team then plays one another in a round robin format. The two teams with the best records face off in the finals.

Tournament Style: Team-based round robin with single elimination playoffs.

Tournament Banlist: Standard banlist for any metagames included.

Tournament Justification: Since the other major competitive event for CAP (being CAPPL) only happens once a year during the summer, I think it's imperative that we add another venue for high-level play. This is the perfect opportunity for for players to get together with their friends and compete during the winter, perhaps making some new friends along the way. It also gives an opening for new players to shine during an otherwise frozen, barren, and desolate time of the year. Hopefully this will help to push the meta forward now that Crown Tundra and CAP 28 have both dropped.

Tournament Name: SS CAP Snake Draft

Tournament Time Frame: Signups for general managers will open soon(ish?) and run until we have at most 6 people willing, likely within a few days. Immediately following that, player signups will open and run for two weeks. Once sign-ups end we'll iron out a time to hold the draft. Week one will start immediately afterward. Depending on the number of participants this will run for 1.5 to 2 months.

Host Experience: ORAS CAP Dark Horse Tournament, SS CAP Budget Tournament, SS CAP Regular Tournament, SS CAP Cyclohm Cup, years of PS! CAP room tours

Tournament Description: This is a draft based team tournament modeled after Smogon's Snake Draft. Managers will be assigned an order, then follow that order to draft players in a snaking fashion (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). Every team then plays one another in a round robin format. The two teams with the best records face off in the finals.

Tournament Style: Team-based round robin with single elimination playoffs.

Tournament Banlist: Standard banlist for any metagames included.

Tournament Justification: Since the other major competitive event for CAP (being CAPPL) only happens once a year during the summer, I think it's imperative that we add another venue for high-level play. This is the perfect opportunity for for players to get together with their friends and compete during the winter, perhaps making some new friends along the way. It also gives an opening for new players to shine during an otherwise frozen, barren, and desolate time of the year. Hopefully this will help to push the meta forward now that Crown Tundra and CAP 28 have both dropped.
Consider this approved. Expect some more details in the near future

Tournament Name: Nostalgia For SM CAP

Tournament Host(s): Airwind

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-up would start after Christmas and is going to be open for a week to people to join and round 1 starts once sign-up ends and would last 1 week per round

Host experience: I have hosted Nostalgia for ORAS and SM Doubles, and I of course have a ton of experience with tournaments playing, and being captain for CAPPL and Snake Draft

Tournament Description: Is similar to the last Nostalgia For ORAS tournament I hosted

Tournament Style: Single Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Standart SM CAP
Tournament Justification: SM CAP has always been popular and a good tier since it has been used in the past team tournaments but we haven't got a non-team based SM tournament

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: Nostalgia For SM CAP

Tournament Host(s): Airwind

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-up would start after Christmas and is going to be open for a week to people to join and round 1 starts once sign-up ends and would last 1 week per round

Host experience: I have hosted Nostalgia for ORAS and SM Doubles, and I of course have a ton of experience with tournaments playing, and being captain for CAPPL and Snake Draft

Tournament Description: Is similar to the last Nostalgia For ORAS tournament I hosted

Tournament Style: Single Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Standart SM CAP
Tournament Justification: SM CAP has always been popular and a good tier since it has been used in the past team tournaments but we haven't got a non-team based SM tournament
Approved. PM the Metagame Council if you need any assistance!

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tournament Name: Monotype CAP Tournament

Tournament Host(s): me

Tournament Time Frame: Jan-?

Host experience: Hosted NU Crown Tundra Cup and a few discord tournaments

Tournament Description: Standard CAP + Same Type Clause (Monotype)

Tournament Style: Double Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Council Voting very soon, Cawmodore, Blaziken, and Kartana are the main targets on votes but thats it.
Tournament Justification: Cap Monotype has been gaining interest and we have a Council already + VR in formation. I was told to request this here after requesting in tournaments by Mx

Tournament Name: Monotype CAP Tournament

Tournament Host(s): me

Tournament Time Frame: Jan-?

Host experience: Hosted NU Crown Tundra Cup and a few discord tournaments

Tournament Description: Standard CAP + Same Type Clause (Monotype)

Tournament Style: Double Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Council Voting very soon, Cawmodore, Blaziken, and Kartana are the main targets on votes but thats it.
Tournament Justification: Cap Monotype has been gaining interest and we have a Council already + VR in formation. I was told to request this here after requesting in tournaments by Mx
This is approved, feel free to start whenever you're ready

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
Tournament Name: ORAS CAP Revival Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will open in late February so the tour can be underway in early March. Depending on the number of signups it should last around one and a half to two months.

Host Experience: SS CAP Snake Draft, SS CAP Cyclohm Cup, SS CAP Regular Tour, SS CAP Budget Tour, years of hosting PS CAP Room tours

Tournament Description: This is a standard ORAS CAP tournament. Aurumoth is banned from use.

Tournament Style: Single elimination ORAS CAP Bo3

Tournament Banlist: Standard ORAS CAP banlist with the additional ban of Aurumoth

Tournament Justification: The purpose of this tournament, as its name suggests, is to breathe new life into a long abandoned metagame. With increasing need for an additional format for team tournaments, I believe we can sufficiently revive ORAS CAP in time for CAPPL VII. This tournament will provide an opportunity for old ORAS players to shake off the rust and for newer players to indulge in a “new” and exciting metagame, all while helping advance development of the tier. Aurumoth will be banned from use in the tournament due to its oppressive presence in the meta. By the time this tournament starts there will be basic resources available for ORAS CAP.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
Tournament Name: SS CAP Rigged Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will open at the end of April, ideally coinciding with the start of playoffs for the CAP 29 Playtest. The tournament will then begin in early May, reaching its playoffs by the time CAPPL VII and the 2021 CAP Summer Seasonal start.

Host Experience: SS CAP Snake Draft, SS CAP Cyclohm Cup, SS CAP Regular Tour, SS CAP Budget Tour, years of hosting PS CAP Room tours

Tournament Description: This is a standard SS CAP tournament with one simple catch, I decide all the brackets myself instead of randomizing them.

Tournament Style: Single elimination SS CAP Bo3

Tournament Justification: Sandwiched in between a whole series of highly competitive official CAP tournaments, I want this to provide an opportunity for many players of the meta to have fun playing against friends in a semi-competitive format. Highlight matches can happen any round, and I’ll happily have players run the gauntlet of difficult matches throughout the duration of the tournament.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Tournament Name: ORAS CAP Revival Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will open in late February so the tour can be underway in early March. Depending on the number of signups it should last around one and a half to two months.

Tournament Description: This is a standard ORAS CAP tournament. Aurumoth is banned from use.

Tournament Style: Single elimination ORAS CAP Bo3

Tournament Banlist: Standard ORAS CAP banlist with the additional ban of Aurumoth

Tournament Justification: The purpose of this tournament, as its name suggests, is to breathe new life into a long abandoned metagame. With increasing need for an additional format for team tournaments, I believe we can sufficiently revive ORAS CAP in time for CAPPL VII. This tournament will provide an opportunity for old ORAS players to shake off the rust and for newer players to indulge in a “new” and exciting metagame, all while helping advance development of the tier. Aurumoth will be banned from use in the tournament due to its oppressive presence in the meta. By the time this tournament starts there will be basic resources available for ORAS CAP.
As long as the timing of this tour finishes before for the CAPPL VII planning stages, this is approved. Perhaps consider a ruling on Cawmodore as well, if you're going to make one on Aurumoth.

Tournament Name: SS CAP Rigged Tournament

Tournament Time Frame: Signups will open at the end of April, ideally coinciding with the start of playoffs for the CAP 29 Playtest. The tournament will then begin in early May, reaching its playoffs by the time CAPPL VII and the 2021 CAP Summer Seasonal start.

Tournament Description: This is a standard SS CAP tournament with one simple catch, I decide all the brackets myself instead of randomizing them.

Tournament Style: Single elimination SS CAP Bo3

Tournament Justification: Sandwiched in between a whole series of highly competitive official CAP tournaments, I want this to provide an opportunity for many players of the meta to have fun playing against friends in a semi-competitive format. Highlight matches can happen any round, and I’ll happily have players run the gauntlet of difficult matches throughout the duration of the tournament.
Be aware of the timing as these tournaments unfold, as it seems to be sandwiched between multiple events. Otherwise approved!

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Tournament Name: SS CAP Ladder Tournament

Tournament Host(s): Me! (and maybe Lasen but probably not)

Tournament Timeline: Ideally, I see this tour starting up around when CAPPL ends (August) to give the community some lighthearted fun in the down time. My hope is that finals will wrap up around week 1 or 2 of CAP Swiss.

Host Experience: I don't have any host experience for tournaments. However, I have been very active in pretty much every tournament since Snake Draft and have been one of the more active ladder players.

Tournament Discription: Participants will make an alt to compete in the tour. The highest rated 8 or 16 (this number can change depending on the number of signups) alts on the SS CAP ladder after 2-3 weeks (depending on signups again) will then compete in a single elimination, BO3 format using the final ratings as seedings for the tournament. Each participant will only be allowed one alt, and they must declare their alt during signup with the correct prefix (this will most likely be 'CLT', as there are no accounts currently in the CAP t500 that have that prefix).

Tournament Style: SS CAP Ladder Tournament and Single Elimination BO3.

Tournament Banlist: Standard SS CAP Banlist.

Tournament Justification: My reasoning for this tour is twofold. First and foremost, a common complaint in the CAP community is that the ladder is, simply put, dead. This tour is an attempt to attract new players to the metagame while getting old and new players alike to play on the ladder again, hopefully breathing new life into it. Secondly, this tour hopefully gives the metagame community something more lighthearted to do once CAPPL has finished up. As an incentive, I was hoping that a special Room Prize Winner prefix could be given to the winner of the tour on PS.

Last edited:
hello!

Tournament Name: DPP CAP!!!!! :O

Tournament Host(s): this fella

Tournament Timeline:
If this application gets approved then I'll start it as soon that happens. I'll leave sign-ups open for a week and then from there every round will last 1 week!

Host Experience: I apparently hosted the Super special cap tournament which I'll be honest I completely forgot about ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tournament Description: Standard DPP CAP tournament

Tournament Style: DPP CAP and Single Elimination BO3.

Tournament Banlist: Standard DPP CAP Banlist.

Tournament Justification: I'd love to be able to have a proper chance to explore this potentially very interesting metagame! And who knows maybe it gets popular enough to make it into CAPTT :eyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)