CAP 3D Modeling Project

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Welcome to the CAP 3D Modeling Project!

Tasks list | Source files | Gallery

We also have a private channel in the CAP discord server - use /role CAP 3D in #botspam to access it
Project goals
  • Create animated 3D models of all previous CAP pokemon!
  • Implement .gifs of these models on Pokemon Showdown.
  • Standardize our models so they look as close to the 3DS style of Pokemon X & Y as possible.
  • Collaborate on the multiple aspects of modeling, using skills from various artists: wireframes, rigging, animation, UV mapping, lighting and texture.
  • Have fun! There is no deadline or requirement for us to do these models. There is no priority list for which CAPs to create first. Pick your favorite!
Wireframe rules
  • Wireframes should be created in 3D Modeling software such as Maya, Blender (open source), 3ds Max or Zbrush. The software should be able to export to .obj or .fbx format.
  • Wireframes should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll and the Sprite Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design, but drastic deviation from the selected art and sprite designs is discouraged.
  • Wireframes should have polygon counts to mimic the style of Pokemon models in Pokemon X and Y. These models have counts ranging between 2,000 and 10,000 depending on complexity.
  • Wireframes should be created using a neutral pose. Rigging and animation will need to be done at a later stage, so keep this in mind.
  • When posting works-in-progress (WIPs), please post screenshots or renders of your wireframe in a compressed image format such as jpg. Please keep these images under 640 pixels in either dimension and under 200 kB.
  • This is a collaborative project and as such you must allow your work to be edited by the coordinator and by other artists before the final product is created.
===

Wireframe submissions
  • For each CAP, for efficiency's sake, it's best if only one person's wireframe is listed as the official WIP or finished product.
  • If you want to create a wireframe for a CAP which does not have an official wireframe yet, it's first-come first-serve.
  • To "claim" a wireframe WIP, simply post in the thread to express your interest. Some screenshots of your past work would be helpful but not required. Please show some progress of the WIP within a week in order to retain your claim. If your claim is dropped but you wish to continue later, feel free to post again.
  • After a WIP (screenshots and .obj) has been posted by the claimant, the Coordinator will let you know if your wireframe is accepted as the official WIP, and/or will give critique on how to improve it.
  • When posting links to .obj files of the wireframe, host them externally on a site such as dropbox or sendspace.
  • When collaborating with others, be explicit about who is working on which version of the wireframe when. The Coordinator will keep the version and current modeler list updated.
===
Other stages
  • Quality control - The Coordinator, wireframe submitter and other collaborators (optional) will iterate back and forth on a wireframe until they feel it is suitable for rigging and UV mapping.
  • UV mapping - Post to claim a finalized wireframe for UV mapping. When finished, post in the thread with the mapped model and an image file of the texture map to-be-coloured.
  • Texture - A texture artist will work in image-editing software (like Photoshop) with the UV-mapped model and map image. Being able to concurrently work in the 3D software to make sure the texture lines up with the model is strongly encouraged. Post to claim a UV-mapped model, then post your texture as an image file when finished.
  • Rigging - A riggist will create the structure that the mesh/wireframe is animated to. Post if you want to claim a finalized wireframe for rigging. Collaboration is possible. When finished, post in the thread with the rigged model file.
  • Animating - Using the completed rig, create an idle animation. Post if you want to claim a finalized rig for animating. Collaboration is possible. When finished, post in the thread with the animated model file.
  • Rendering - Using all of the above and the appropriate lighting setup and shaders, export an animated gif of the front and back view of the model to be used in PS!
===

Need for model sheets from 2D artists
Having model sheets from those artists who have made CAP designs in the past would be really helpful to this project. An example of what we need can be seen here for Plasmanta. These sheets should be reasonably accurate, proportionate and consistent across each view in order to be useful to the modelers. 2D artists, simply post here with your sheets if you make them, and we will keep a catalogue of them. If you would like to create a sheet for a design that is not yours, please consult with the original designer first if possible in case they would prefer to make one themselves.

===

Advice for Modelers
  • Style (Wireframe) - Simplify details (especially eyes) whenever possible. Eyes and small details can be added as a part of the texture step.
  • Style (Texture) - Where different color areas meet, there should be an outline to separate them, like in this example image.
  • Style (General) - Using PS! gifs as reference can be helpful for animation, color, detail rendering, etc.
  • Best practices (Texture) - Keep the number of different materials as low as possible. Different programs may not interpret materials the same way, so a large number of materials can cause headaches when collaborating with other artists. (See this post.)
===

Tutorials
===

Additional references for CAP designs

Last edited:
Question: Do the Pre-Evolutions get 3D models as well? Or does this project only apply to CAPs playable on Showdown?

Speaking of Prevos, there's Syclar, Embirch, Flarelm, Breezi, Rebble, Bolderdash, Privatyke, Nohface, Monohm, Duclohm, Colosshale, Protowatt, Voodoll, Scratchet, Necturine, Cupra, Argalis, Brattler, Cawdet, Volkritter, and Snugglow until CAP 20's prevo count is decided.

Feedback: Plasmanta here looks really cool, swimming happily alongside what was a Mantine and a Kyogre for comparison. I'm looking forward to the rest!

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Participation in this project is interest-based. If people want to do Prevos, then they can feel free! My guess though is that many people like the payoff of seeing their hard work used in PS. Prevos might be a good subject for newer modelers who'd like to gain some experience and practice before attempting the more complicated fully evolved CAPs. Unfortunately, many of our prevos are pretty complicated too!

First, I'd like to wait until all 20 fully evolved CAPs are finished, then I'd like to work on either Snugglow or Cawdet.

In the meantime, I'm searching for Blender myself to understand what's going on. I might want to work on the aforementioned two once I finish a certain amount of schooling, and figure out how to use Blender. Does the program work on a Windows XP?

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't work with Windows XP. I'll have to use my dad's computer to work on 3D models once I get the time to do so.

EDIT 2: Quanyails That seems like an accurate sketch of Gem. It could easily work as a base.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sketched out a model sheet for Strategem. It should be one of the easier CAPs to model, rig, and animate given its geometry and floatiness, for those who are interested in contributing. :) Note that the side view's claws are behind where they should be. I put them there so they did not obscure the body.

Edit: Added Kitsunoh. Not sure about the front/back perspectives.

Edit: Added Pyroak. This one was tricky to get right! I thank paintseagull and Mos-Quitoxe for helping me get the legs right.

Last edited:

QxC4eva

^ that looks great!

I'd like to try modelling Pyroak, but from how I think it's going to work (at least for me) is to have a front/back/side of it fully NAKED as well. Tagging Quanyails, thoughts? Not for pervy sake but for anatomy ref xP

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Oh hey, haven't been here in a while.

I'll do Arghonaut and Krillowatt since those are my babies.

First, I'd like to wait until all 20 fully evolved CAPs are finished, then I'd like to work on either Snugglow or Cawdet.

In the meantime, I'm searching for Blender myself to understand what's going on. I might want to work on the aforementioned two once I finish a certain amount of schooling, and figure out how to use Blender. Does the program work on a Windows XP?

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't work with Windows XP. I'll have to use my dad's computer to work on 3D models once I get the time to do so.

EDIT 2: Quanyails That seems like an accurate sketch of Gem. It could easily work as a base.
I'll be honest, I know the CAP prevoes don't get any use, but they would make for good 3D model warm-ups for people who may be newer or want some practice before doing a more advanced model. It'd be a good way to talk about technique without putting time into something "official"

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
QxC4eva: How is this? I went over it with paintseagull and Mos-Quitoxe. There are some imperfections, but they'll probably get fixed on the finished model. Thank you for helping out with the project!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Hi Quan that will do nicely, thanks! I made a brief start yesterday with this assumption:

[images]

One thing that confused me was how the yellow part of the skin extended to under the arm. As you can see the side view, it's looking quite weird. But it's there in the original http://cap.smogon.com/web/art/dex/pyroak_dex.jpg
Your assumptions look good to me. You are right that I missed that part of Pyroak's coloring in my sketches.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm no good with modelling and haven't contributed much to CAP before, but I'd love to try making some modelling sheets if that would be alright with you guys :)

(e.g. Voodoom or Fidgit)

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
QxC4eva If you need to alter the design to make sense in 3D or anatomically, it's definitely OK to do so (at least in my books!)

brightobject You could probably try Fidgit, I'm not sure if Cartoons! can be contacted - Quanyails, did you try? We'll give inactive artists a week or so to respond before going ahead without them. We need to check with DougJustDoug if he wants to do his own model sheets for Voodoom.

Magistrum Yes please, Caw will be a tough one, his model sheet will help very much!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, I'd like to do the model sheet for Voodoom.

Fun fact: I originally got inspired to do a voodoo doll pokemon design after seeing this amazing digital short film with 3D modeled voodoo dolls:

Sebastian's Voodoo (2008)

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Just a note on the prevos (and if anyone wants to work on those), I would suggest sticking to the ones with the outright final designs. Any of the Gen 5/Gen 6 prevos are fair game, but tread lightly with the Gen 4 prevos as a few of them have not yet been completed to the same standard as the others.

By the way, the Plasmanta model looks ace! Great work :)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
looks good guys, I added Plasmanta and readded some missing sprites that went in flames after the hard drive failure a while back (people should harass me more often about these things), so icons and sprites should be visible soon.

Let me know how things are going. Look forward to seeing old CAPS made into models.

QxC4eva

Here's a quick WIP of the Pyroak wireframe:

Sorry for the HARDCORE NUDITY I'll get to the props/clothing soon ^^;

paintseagull

pink wingull
QxC4eva oh man, that's looking great! Thanks for the update!

In the future, (and this goes for everyone) could we crop our images to a more browser-friendly size? I can see these threads getting hard to load if we put a bunch of big image files in them. Width-wise, it's ok if you make large images because the forum automatically resizes them. For filesize 200kb is a good rule of thumb. (this just applies to WIPs, previews and screenshots - for model sheets or texture maps we don't need to compromise on size) Thanks everyone :)

paintseagull

pink wingull
QxC4eva Looking great to me! I'm impressed with how quickly it got to this stage! One criticism from me: the grass skirt is a bit thin-looking, could you make it fuller, like in Quanyails' sketch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)