CAP 32 - Part 1 - TL and TLT Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
This is the thread for people to announce their desire to become either the Topic Leader (TL) or a member of the Topic Leadership Team (TLT) for this creation project. Do not suggest other users. If someone wants to become the TL or a TLT member, they will post on their own, and if they don't have a strong urge to be it then they shouldn't be signing up anyway. The CAP project requires the utmost dedication and a substantial amount of free time, especially to lead, meaning that only those who have carefully considered the magnitude of their application will apply at all. If you are not prepared to fulfill all of the responsibilities to the very end, then do not throw your hat into the ring.

Before applying it is important to read and understand the following posts
Topic Leadership
CAP 5 - Policy Review Summary

We are looking to fill the following five positions to help us lead the creation of this new Pokemon:
  • Topic Leader: In the public's eyes, this is the leader of the project. Unlike past Topic Leaders, they now only make the slate for Concept Submissions. Overall, the goal of the TL is "quality control", not "project control". The responsibilities of the TL include running Concept Assessment, Threats Discussion, and finalizing the slates of TLT members.
  • Topic Leadership Team: The TLT will be leading the four major competitive aspects of creating a Pokemon. They will make slates for their respective threads and provide meaningful discussion points to their specific area. Note that TLT members are allowed to make submissions during stages of the CAP process that they are not actively leading. We are looking to fill the following four positions:
    • Typing Leader
    • Ability Leader
    • Stats Leader
    • Movepool Leader
When making your application, please indicate which position(s) you are applying for. You must identify whether you're applying for TL or TLT (you are allowed to apply for both). You are allowed to specific which position you'd like to fill on the TLT, but it is not required. Topic leaders and TLT members should have the following qualifications:
  • Deep knowledge of the game of Pokemon
  • Familiarity with competitive Pokemon concepts, strategy and philosophy, as practiced within Smogon
  • Willing to voice opinions and lead others
  • Open-minded to new ideas
  • Creative, "outside-of-the-box" thinker
  • Good writing skills
  • Level-headed when resolving disputes
  • Liked and respected by the CAP community
Once this CAP starts, the Topic Leader and the Topic Leadership Team will be the most important, most visible members of the CAP community, and they are expected to be a strong guiding force throughout the creation process. If you are selected for any of these positions, you will have a great deal of power to influence the project. But you also have a responsibility to stay on top of things. You will have forum moderators to help you, but you need to be regularly active on the project until it is complete. All potential candidates should look through both the Topic Leadership Guide and the CAP Process Archive, to get an idea of what will be expected of you, if you are selected to be the Topic Leader or TLT member.

This thread is strictly for candidacy posts and posts supporting those candidates. Please stay on topic. Below are the guidelines for posting in this thread:
  • Candidates will benefit from highlighting their active involvement throughout the duration of a recent CAP project. Involvement in multiple CAP projects is strongly preferred.
  • Do not suggest other people. If you want you encourage someone else to run, then send them a PM or talk to them on the PS! CAP chatroom or the CAP Discord channel.
  • If you are new to the CAP project, do not sign up in this thread. Instead, spend a project or two lurking, learning, and participating first.
  • Include a summary of your involvement in the CAP project.
  • Make a pitch for why you should be selected. If you can't present and defend yourself, then you can't expect to lead a project whose primary function is discussion and debate. Convince us that you are a good choice.
  • Even if you don't think you are better qualified than certain other candidates, you still should consider posting your application. Candidates not selected as TL or TLT for this project will be on the watch list by the PRC for next time around. Don't post your name if you don't intend to be active in the project, even if you are not selected, since people will be scrutinizing your involvement more closely.
  • Feel free to post support for any candidates already named.
  • Do not post disparaging remarks about any candidates.
If these rules are not followed, the offending user will be subject to moderation.

Applications will close on Friday, February 17th at 11:59PM GMT-5.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Hello friends here to throw my name in for TL :afrostar: e: also TLT XD!

Leading the movepool stage for Saharaja was very fun, getting to see the multiple different routes people thought we should/could go about to achieve our concept and maximize it as best we could. I really enjoyed it, and working with my other TLs + the community was a fantastic experience. I believe that experience also helped give me a much better idea of how I'd conduct the movepool stage (and any other!) for future CAPs, much like how doing the Voodoom buff process did.

Of course, I've remained invested in the metagame since the generation started!!! NU's recent release has had me a little less active, but I've been teambuilding and helping in CAPCL the entire tournament as best I can. In addition, I'm still a member of VR and metagame council while also leading NU and the GP team. I believe I'm well adept to lead another stage or the process as a whole, and I hope all of you agree :heart:

Last edited:

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I'm dex, and I'd like to run for any of the TLT positions.

I have pretty lengthy experience with CAP. I contributed to Miasmaw, Chromera, and Venomicon before being the Typing Leader for Saharaja. One thing that I think I did really well as Typing Leader for Saharaja was making sure discussion stayed as open as possible. Personally, at the time, I really thought that a Rock typing was the way to go, but there was a lot of support for non-Rock typings and I made sure to give each and every one their due (I'd say the non-Rock typing turned out pretty good). I won't go much more in depth on all that, but I love the conversations CAP creates and would be excited to be on the TLT again!

Outside of the process, I am on the CAP VR and QC teams and am pretty in-tune with the metagame. I regularly play tournaments and build with a pretty high frequency. I also am on OU QC and I lead Smogon's Team of the Week project, meaning that I stay pretty up-to-date on metagame developments, which I think is an important quality especially now given that OU, and CAP by proxy, are still very much developing tiers.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hey, I think I'll apply for TLT, specifically for stats.

This would be my third time on a TLT team, having done typing for Miasmaw and Chromera, and I think I'm ready to branch out from working on typing. I was a key part of re-working the offensive BSR formula, having spotted the incorrect T-value in the original BSR formula (its a long story, but the formula was assuming that every single mon's attack stat was 300, sorta). I've also submitted several slated spreads over past caps, and I would love to really delve into the maths behind this, and choosing good limits.

I'm still involved in the meta, and have been building a lot of teams as of late for just about every CAP gen, including SV, and playing the meta heavily. I don't have quite as much time as I used to, but I think I can definitely block away the 1-2 weeks necessary to run stats to the best of my abilities.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hi y'all, I think it's about time I make a run for TL!

I began participating in CAP more seriously after the pandemic hit in early 2020, and despite my best efforts to find a new hobby, I've somehow managed to get more and more involved ever since then. Process-wise, I've contributed extensively to every CAP since Miasmaw (and a little bit during the tail end of Astrolotl), as well as a slew of PRCs, buff processes, and so on. My first leadership experience was leading the Stats stage for Chromera, followed closely after by leading the Typing stage for the Venomicons. I was eventually promoted to moderator, and as a result, able to closely witness Saharaja's TLT do their incredible work from the periphery. I think I've learned a lot from being around each of these three very different processes, and I'd like to take that experience with me as the Topic Leader for the first CAP process of this generation.

It's also my view that any TLT member –– the TL most of all –– should have a strong understanding of the metagame in which their process unfolds. (This isn't to imply that you need to be a "good player," but some familiarity with the metagame is important in order to make nuanced and informed evaluations.) This is one area that I feel especially confident in; I won the kickoff tour for SV CAP, I've been playing & building extensively for the ongoing CAP Champions League, I co-lead CAP analyses, and I currently hold positions on both the metagame council and VR council. My involvement in the CAP metagame goes back far into SS as well, culminating in a second-place finish for the 2022 tournament circuit championships.

On a final note, it's not unlikely that Pokemon HOME support will drop soon after, or even in the middle of, CAP 32's process. Having been around when this happened to Miasmaw, as well as the other numerous and equally drastic SS metagame shifts, I'm optimistic about my ability to not only weather whatever Gamefreak throws our way but also make a CAP that stands the test of time (knock on wood). Best of luck to my friend Rabia and whoever else decides to apply, let's make it an exciting process!!

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
*Obligatory link to the Spider Man 2 Pizza Mission theme*

Hello, I'm Da Pizza Man, and I'm running for TLT. My preference is Stats > Ability > Movepool > Typing but I would personally be fine with any position.

My experience with CAP is quite extensive, albeit fairly sporadic. I discovered CAP during Malaconda's process and stuck around as a lurker until I finally decided to sign up for Smogon and participate right around when Volkraken's process started. Afterwards, I would continue to stick around in the community and participate in the processes for Plasmanta, Naviathan, and Crucibelle, forming a close bond with several members of the community and earning myself a Ladybug Badge in the process, until I eventually decided to leave Smogon due to having an increasingly busy schedule with school and a waning interest in Pokemon at the time. Several years later, due to having more free time on my hands thanks to my approaching graduation from college as well as a renewed interest in the game, I decided to rejoin this community that I once called home right around the time when Chromera's process was starting to wrap up. Since then, I have participated in the processes for both Venomicon and Saharaja, reacquainted myself with the community, and earned the badge that I had previously lost due to being away from Smogon for so many years. In terms of notable accomplishments I have made within the process, my biggest accomplishment would be submitting the winning stat spread for Venomicon-Prologue. Outside of that, however, I also had my stat submission for Saharaja slated, was a key player in getting Heatproof slated onto Saharaja's secondary ability poll, and have had multiple winning flavor movepool submissions in Floatoy/Caimanoe, Protowatt, and Saharascal/Saharaja.

While I don't personally consider myself to be the best player around, I still think that I have had a decent amount of success in tournaments, as I have notably made it to the Semi-Finals in Saharaja's playtest, qualified for last year's CAP Circuit Championships ranking #9 for the year where I would make it to Round 2, and have been drafted onto the Venominous Venomicons and the GholdenGODs for CAPCL 1 and 2, respectively. Outside of playing, I also hosted the SS CAP LC Revival Tour (with kjnkmjk1) and SV CAP Kickoff Tour (with SHSP), both of which were fairly successful tournaments. I have written multiple analyses in the past for CAP (ORAS CAP Slowbro, SS CAP Voodoom, SS CAP Syclant, and SS CAP Plasmanta), and I am currently running the SV CAP Victim of the Week thread.

This would be my first time being on the TLT should I be voted in, and as such, I can understand why people would have reservations about choosing me over more experienced candidates, especially for the first process of Generation 9. However, I am very active within the community, especially on Discord, and I believe that I have more than enough experience with the process to be able to take on the challenges that arise from leading whatever stage of the process I am assigned to should I be voted in.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello

I am Brambane, and I am running for TLT, preferably Typing or Ability.

I have been a member of the CAP community on and off since 2009. I have been involved in several CAP projects, including Colossoil, Krilowatt, Tomohawk, Malaconda, Volkraken, Plasmanta, Chromera, Venomicon, and Saharaja, changing usernames between Plasmanta and Chromera. I have been part of several team tours, including managing for both CAPCLs, hosted a few OM tours, and frequently partake in roomtours and the ladder. I have also partaken a fair bit in PRC, the recent buff processes, and Gen 9 updates. This will be my first run for TLT, but as a vocal and active participant in the last three processes I am confident in my ability to lead the community during the early Typing or Ability stages of the project, even with the depth of new abilities available to us in Gen 9.

I look forward to working with the rest of the TLT and inviting new participants in the project to have their voice heard on the forum.

And I promise not to give CAP32 Decorate.

Hello, I am applying for TLT particularly for the early stages of Typing and Ability.

Ive been around in CAP for about 6 years now, and through that time Ive been involved in nearly everything there is to do on the competitive, flavor and community side except for avoiding basically all leadership chances. Over the last year or so Ive taken my foot off the gas and participated a bit less, but I would still like to be involved in leadership once during my CAP career, before possibly being swept away in Real Life Things. As a contributor, I've been involved in every CAP since Jumbao, with a specialty in detailed posts and helping people squeeze the most juice out of their concept submissions on Discord. I play the ladder in my free time and Im a fan of SV, so while you wont see me in the official tours anymore you will find me in the cap room and my many alts on the ladder, running all kinds of fun sets. Outside of CAP, I am the creator of the OM Nature Swap!

Since some of you might not know me as well, in my time I have:
-Won Equilibra's official playtest tour
-Sporadic involvement in team tours with positive winrate
-Regular ladder/ roomtour player

-Won Jumbao, Snaelstrom, and Mumbao's art
-Created the 3D models for Snaelstrom and Miasmaw
-Winning concept submission for Miasmaw

-Achieved a CAP contributor badge without being TLT
-Led a thread to reinstate likes in the CAP forum
-Led a thread for restructuring of CAP Ability process (might be implemented this CAP?)
-Been heavily involved in CAP LC

While nowadays I play for fun on the ladder, focus on building with underrated mons and have a different opinion on a lot of competitive mons than others, I've been here long enough to understand the role of an unbiased host in the CAP process. I also understand the midpoint between creativity and competitive viability. I haven't lost my competitive edge or interest since winning a tour despite participating less and as TLT I would read all the arguments, pose interesting questions and urge people to delve as deeply into the concept as it allows. Even though this is a very busy time for me, I have a gut feeling that this might be my only chance to participate heavily this year and I would love to do so.

Last edited:
Hello, I’m velvet and I would love to apply for TLT, with Typing, Ability, and Movepool as preference.

I never been a part in any CAP projects before but have had interest in doing so when reading up how the process goes within each section and I just enjoy how much effort is put into it and it’s something I’d like to be a part of. I haven’t been into CAP community too long, been here since at least during the middle of COVID so around 2020. Within this time I’ve been involved in a few team tours for CAP such as snake draft, cappl, and currently capcl. I’ve been into the competitive scene even before cap but I like to think I know quite a bit when it comes to older gens, but I’m still working on doing better for current gen material. Recently became mod in the room and trying to be more involved forum wise starting with tour hosting and time will only tell what else I’ll get into in the community. This is new territory for me and I feel ready to try it out.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Signing up for TLT, any position.

I've been around for a bit over two years by now, though much of my contributions pre-Saharaja were sporadic and mostly me just dipping my toes into the water. Since then, however, I'm probably one of the most frequent posters in the subforum, including both CAP Project proper and the CAP Metagame section. CAP is where I spend the majority of my time on Smogon and, having grown to such a degree in 2022 that I earned the baby contributor badge, I feel more than prepared to tackle process leadership. My schedule is somewhat awkward, being inactive for the majority of Wednesday-Saturday, but it's not something I couldn't work around given time I have before needing to work and the breaks we get, and I'd be more than capable of contributing to the absolute fullest during my three day weekends.

Regarding past experience, although I haven't been slated for anything worthwhile as of this point, I put a lot of focus on discussion, and you've probably seen commenting on various aspects of the CAP process with my (somewhat excessively) long posts. Discussing and slowly piecing together a competitively-minded Pokemon is something I enjoy doing, and as such I feel naturally inclined to build upon the ideas of others, or express any concerns/questions I may have if something feels off. I honestly derive more enjoyment from fostering discussion than I do actually submitting stuff for polling, so being in a position where that's expected of me to an even greater extent sounds like an ideal fit for my skillset and interests. There's no question about me being active either: you've probably seen me hogging up the CAP block on the main page more than once, you've almost certainly seen me on Discord, and I'll occassionally chime in on the Showdown room as well if my internet allows it.

I'm not as comfortable with actually playing CAP as I would like, but I have a solid grasp on what's good and why, as well as fundamentally understanding how Pokemon is played. Enough people also seemed to want me on their team in some form or another for CAPCL that it's probably worth mentioning. I have been closely following games and meta developments in part thanks to other CAP mainers I'm close with, or simply by virtue of doing a lot of background tournament stuff for around a year now, so you don't have to worry about me being woefully unfamiliar with the CAP Metagame as I lead any competitive stages. If anything, being TLT would only encourage me to play more than I already do.

I'm signing up for the TLT, with a preference towards Typing or Ability.

I've been involved with CAP for a while now, lurking since Cawmodore and actively contributing towards the process since Jumbao. Although it hasn't always been this way, I believe my more recent posts and submissions to be detailed, well-informed and clear. As far as actual winning contributions go, I have made the sprite for Saharaja as well as the shiny for Equilibra (Bonus: I submitted the winning concept for one of the FlashCAPs, Shrimpanzee, as well). Other than submissions of my own, I also frequently provide feedback on other submissions, both on the forums and on Discord.

I've been pretty active on the metagame side of things as well, participating in many of the more recent individual- and team tournaments. Even though I do not play for any team for the current CAPCL, I follow the tournament closely and watch most replays to stay up to date. Additionally, I recently made it to semifinals of the SV CAP Kickoff Tour. As such, I would say I have a good understanding of the current CAP metagame, what's being used for which purpose and which gaps there are to fill. People know me for building teams around Pokémon that don't immediately come to mind as threats but fulfill a solid niche within the metagame, and I hope to bring my knowledge of the obscure to the table when the time comes to create this new CAP.

Hey everyone, I'm Darek and I'm here to sign up for TLT with a preference towards Ability.

I've been involved with CAP for some time, beginning with Astrolotl's process before starting heavy involvement in Miasmaw's process onwards. During CAP Processes I've made a number of in-depth posts and submissions, notably submitting Miasmaw's winning typing. I've even submitted art for every CAP process I've been active in, aside from Venomicon. Simultaneously, I have been engaged with the metagame side as well, participating in every major team tour since CAP Snake Draft. I was assistant manager for the Brazy Breezis during CAPCL I and was a member of the SS CAP VR team until I later stepped down on the back end of the generation. More recently I made it to the finals of the SV CAP Kickoff Tour by spamming Iron Moth Sun.

During CAP31 I acted as Ability Leader for Saharaja's process, an experience from which I have gained a lot of valuable insight into how the CAP process is run. I thoroughly enjoyed running Ability discussions for CAP31, witnessing others display their creativity in their submissions, and was ultimately able to push the discussion to create a primary ability slate that I found to be unique and varied. Then leading Secondary Ability Discussion, while discussion ran relatively smoothly, I also recognize my shortcomings in how I framed the conversation, resulting in the final result of Serene Grace where many wished to see No Competitive Ability. During Saharaja's process, I came to understand the importance of how to frame the conversation and push it into more focused directions, and hope to apply these skills during CAP32's process as well. Thank you for your consideration, and I still don't know how to end my posts lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)