CAP 32 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

First try for this edition. Inspired by Polyphemus, the cyclops of Odysseus' journey. If I remember correctly, Ulysses pokes his eye out with a burning stick.

I'm going to wait until we define the Pokémon's ability before I continue the search.
Aboslutely one of my faves in the thread thus far. The "sheep legs" and wool wrapping around the torso like a vest to evoke Odysseus and his men escaping by clinging to the undercarriage of Polyphemus' sheep as they went out to pasture is an especially clever and elegant design choice.

https://i.imgur.com/n1MFmzF.png
Got three ideas here, wanna know what you all think and which is your favourite.

Let me know wat one you think is the best and/or any changes you'd like!

Modedit: Changing oversized image to link.
I definitely like the magnifying glass angel idea the most here. I think it'd be good if the glasses on the ring were sort of angled forwards and inwards to evoke a magnifying glass focusing sunlight on a single point to start a fire.

WIP

This is as much an update as it is a poll - as much as I've tried not to invest in any concept too much I'm not sure which would do the best, so I've taken the opportunity to refine each idea more and put them through a colour pass. As a reminder of what each concept is:

- Little Matchstick Girl hedgehog who sees visions through her fire
- Pyrotechnical circus elephant who generates fire from his trunk, headwear and feet to do tricks
- Cheese tax fondue pot "hellhound" who comes for your cheese dues instead of your soul

Feedback and opinions greatly appreciated!
The Matchstick Girl Hedgehog is delightful. I also like the elephant, it's very charming, but the Hedgehog feels like a more inspired, conceptually complex idea. The elephant as it is feels a bit more like a really well-designed Kirby enemy than a pokemon, and I feel like one more theme or concept weaved in would elevate it a lot.
The Fondue Hellhound is quite clever, but it isn't as charming or cute as your other two ideas.

WIP

Glassblower imp with "fireflies" inside their glass bubbles. Might change how the face and body's design, but probably going to wait until we're further into the process.
I really love the concept of a glassblower with floating molten glass familiars, it's among my faves so far. I think this design would really benefit a lot from the pipe being part of the pokemon's body, like a beak or proboscis. Herons, Kiwis, and butterflies come to mind as directions/inspirations in this regard.

WIP

its a heartburn thing. id like to keep this simple and have a similar appeal to like, clefable or chansey. you understand. hope the concept demands a tubby special attacker.
I don't really have any nuanced feedback here, I just felt like a "Love" react is inadequate for how much I love this boy. He's so adorable I wanna die.

WIP

witch nekomata, now a calico, still stands strong! i love calicos and that pretty pattern really does lend to fairy a whole lot, while not being ambiguously dark or ghost-y!
i also have 2 other designs here in the back just in case abilities go crazy: a chocolate fondue fairy and a porridge-based oven/pot/bowl goldilocks bear family (thanks parental bond talk)
The Goldilocks bears as an oven, pot, and bowl of porridge is fucking brilliant. I'm not being hyperbolic, it is the most inspired concept presented thus far, and there are some clever ideas in this thread. Obviously I can't tell you what to do, but I really suggest that you should prioritize the bears. They are so great.

WIP

Back again with a mild update to the proportions of the little fella along with some sketches I made when I didn't have my drawing device on hand (Chrome Canvas, please give us an eyedrop tool). I was looking at the imp and thinking the proportions were too human-like, so I shortened the legs. I also changed the color of the end of the tail because it was meant to look like shears.
I still need to think through how to more naturally incorporate the blowpipe into the rest of the design as it currently looks like it was just tacked on to link the imp to glassblowing. I'll probably wait until the initial defining moves or ability is decided before posting again.

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

This might be one of the least convoluted ideas I have, hopefully - witch/wizard's ferret familiar clinging to a broomstick of fire, with some wrap around the broom to suggest being tied to it like witches were tied to the stake and burned. Fire/Fairy, it works! Hopefully we get Levitate over Earth Eater if discussions on ability are anything to go by. It's a shame I couldn't go with an owl for this.

WIP

Here's s'more witch even though I considered burning it at the stake more than once. It's even carrying its own stick already alight for pete's sake. It is especially thanks to Mos-Quitoxe and Gravity Monkey that I haven't sent her to oblivion - I cannot thank them enough. A notable change is that the 'broomstick' mallow end acts less like an inkbrush and more like a mouth spewing flames. This is my very meager attempt to justify Earth Eater as an ability if it comes down to it.

Brown4Sides Apologies for belated response, but I've made sure to show the eye design this time!

The second design is something I've devised as an answer to Parental Bond if that ever gains any traction. Originally the egg was a baby/cherub sorta thing, but I opted for an egg with emerging wings and in doing so borked the flavour it had with the ability I was designing it for in the first place. Parental Guardian Angels, hand-in-hand protecting an abandoned egg. That's the general idea for what I was goin for. Included is a marriage theme with the rings and altar inspired motif. Their flaming heads are supposed to be like candles/torches, but also a joke on not just being filled to the brim with love, its overflowing. I guess one thing to note, the pair of angels have a single eye each - together do they have a pair of eyes (more allusions to the marriage theme with them being two halves of a whole, or maybe even it could be literal who knows)

Last edited:
WIP
CAP32_nightlightJellyfish_v2.png

Second design after messing with the firefly fairy from the first sketch; it's a nightlight jellyfish :3 its head glows and displays star patterns. I'm still working on the soot imp, though what I'll end up going with depends on what stats and abilities we get.
EDIT: Did a few tweaks to bring out the fire typing more by changing the moon to a sun, thanks to the folks in Discord~
Here's the previous version for reference:
CAP32_nightlightJellyfish.png

Last edited:
WIP

A few sketches from today of the first solid idea I've had for this round! Feeling kinda weird about how I combined two separate cultures in this concept so far, but if it doesn't bother anyone else I might not change the guilty aspects that much... Mainly I'm just wondering the right angle to display them at before I play with the shapes more. The inspiration was originally the cute way Kodama spirits are depicted in works such as Princess Mononoke and Nioh but then it somehow turned into some very spicy dumplings. Babies~

First time ever doing one of these! Hopefully my rookie run makes an impact :) This is a ballet dancer whom wields a flame in its hand that it leaps around with to play tricks and launch powerful bursts of flames.
This one's really nice - simple but gets the typing across!
Just wanted to mention since it doesn't appear you were intending this, but the hands and feet look very similar to match-heads, so rather than simply holding a flame in its hand it looks like it ignites its limbs by dancing around/hitting the opponent.
I just think that could be a neat idea to lean into going forward :D

WIP

Here is the first drawing of mine, its based on a lamp/lantern attracting fireflies! I thought of the fireflies as little fire sprites that manifest at night-time. The fire sprites are controlled by the hypnotising pull of the light, and create a link between them that turns them into pseudo-limbs. I imagine this mon can also create big constructs out of firesprites to attack with!

WIP
IMG_0072.jpg

I am trying to keep my mind open to new ideas as the conversation continues, so here's a new design - the Soup Witch! I'm fiddling around with what her implement could be, and it would largely depend on the ability and moveset. Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

Chillie - The movement is excellent, and the face gives off a lot of mischief, I really like it! Perhaps a little more pink could be brought in somewhere?

Raakshi - This is adorable. Exeggcute glow up. I am not certain if I get a lot of fairy type from the design, other than the fact that it's food. Not sure how to implement this though, since the colors are so tight.

Sunfished - This looks like a finished product, and it's so elegant.

Attachments

Last edited:
WIP

Hello! Posting for the very first time! My concept is a cute baphomet/satyr with a magic staff that it uses for both combat and mobility! I would love to receive any feedback before continuing with this! Thank you so much ^^
385C61F1-C00A-4C9A-AF32-11CF453FAEC4.jpeg385C61F1-C00A-4C9A-AF32-11CF453FAEC4.jpeg385C61F1-C00A-4C9A-AF32-11CF453FAEC4.jpeg

Modedit: Changing additional full-sized images to thumbnails.
Modedit 2: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Last edited by a moderator:
some of my favorites in no particular order.

WIP
View attachment 501199

Changed the patterns, and did a rough draft of the colors. very very messy. he nows juggles 3 suns instead of holding just one.
The shapes of the design are super pleasing and the personality you get across perfectly encapsulates what I’d want as a Pokémon friend. The color reflect that fun character and just make it look unique. My only gripes is that the patterns make it look a tad busy and I wonder how some of them translate into a sprite. Otherwise he’s just a funny dumb fren.
WIP
[image]

A few sketches from today of the first solid idea I've had for this round! Feeling kinda weird about how I combined two separate cultures in this concept so far, but if it doesn't bother anyone else I might not change the guilty aspects that much... Mainly I'm just wondering the right angle to display them at before I play with the shapes more. The inspiration was originally the cute way Kodama spirits are depicted in works such as Princess Mononoke and Nioh but then it somehow turned into some very spicy dumplings. Babies~
OMG these are so cute! I love this family of dumblings. So much, I want to eat them.
I would be interested to see the bowl shape like a volcano. Also you might want to think about how to make the design look a bit more agile, to fit the Pivot build we are going for. Otherwise, “keep it cuuuuuute”
WIP
View attachment 501424

First time ever doing one of these! Hopefully my rookie run makes an impact :) This is a ballet dancer whom wields a flame in its hand that it leaps around with to play tricks and launch powerful bursts of flames.
I do have to pick a favorite and this is it. Everything works perfectly together. The simplicity of the concept, clearness of the shapes, the Powerpuff girl villain vibe, nothing feels tacked on or dressed up. I wouldn’t change much.
WIP
[image]

its a heartburn thing. id like to keep this simple and have a similar appeal to like, clefable or chansey. you understand. hope the concept demands a tubby special attacker.
Probably my runner up just for how inspired this concept and design are and how stupidly adorable and terrifying this critter is. I want to be friends with it bc I fear it as an enemy.
WIP
[image]
oy vey, el mjau mjau
Dumb cat is Dumb. It set itself on fire.
I really enjoy this iteration more then the newer, for looking like a burnt cartoon cat covered in soot and ash. Also bc the black cat fits better with the witch aesthetic it has. But the character design is top notch for both. I imagine this being friends with Kitsunoh and doing all kinds of stupid shit.
WIP

[image]

Monk update~ made a lot of minor changes, notably refining shapes and adjusting colors. Also in addition to macaques in hot springs and incense censers as inspiration, adjusted design to better reflect inspo of Six-Eared Macaque from Journey to the West -- trickster type who impersonates sun wukong (@ infernape another fire monkey ) and is ultimately trapped under a golden alms bowl.
Perfect shapes and cool combination of conceptual elements make for an awesome design. Another one I’d love to have as a friend. Just a chill dude to hang out with. Atm I wish this would translate the fairy typing a bit more somehow but that’s just a nitpick honestly.
WIP
[image]
Back again with a mild update to the proportions of the little fella along with some sketches I made when I didn't have my drawing device on hand (Chrome Canvas, please give us an eyedrop tool). I was looking at the imp and thinking the proportions were too human-like, so I shortened the legs. I also changed the color of the end of the tail because it was meant to look like shears.
I still need to think through how to more naturally incorporate the blowpipe into the rest of the design as it currently looks like it was just tacked on to link the imp to glassblowing. I'll probably wait until the initial defining moves or ability is decided before posting again.
This guy is also just a friend and I love glassblowing as a concept for this. I gotta say I liked the initial design a bit more, but this still works really well and I think just giving it a tool similar to Conkeldurr etc is absolutely fine. P.s. I realiz that it’s probably just the pose that makes me like the OG version. But ye imo the blowing device is simple enough and fits with other tools that we have seen on Pokémon.

Modedit: Removing images from quotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna do what Amamama did and post my favorites:

Darek: Love the vibes from this one. A lantern perfectly fits Fire/Fairy. Not much more to say on this one other than very good job here.

StephXPM: I originally had concerns about the proportions, but I think the edits you made have made it better. A circus mon is a good idea for Fire/Fairy

Shadowshocker: This one is great! I would maybe adjust the angle of the flame on the back, but I think it could still work even like how it is now.

DrifblooomCF: Anything that gives off Touhou vibes is automatically a frontrunner in my eyes. I would just maybe adjust the left wing so the lines are smoother.

Of course, this isn't meant to discourage other artists. There is good stuff all around!

WIP

A really quick change but I think a big upgrade- turning my fire sprite into a creature instead of an objectmon. Its still based on a lantern, but now shaped like a sprite (nature fairy) itself. The antenna now create the lanterns handle. I drew it in paint but Ill do something nicer later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)