CAP 32 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CAP 32 So Far

----

Welcome all to the 32nd installation of CAP art submissions!

There are a few important changes this time around. The sections highlighted in green are new and/or updated. Please be aware of them as you make your CAP art designs!

-----

This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of CAP 32. Over the course of the art thread, CAP will decide on all competitive abilities, defining moves, and base stats. While the art thread is open now, we recommend that you follow along the competitive process and to hold off on investing heavily into a design until defining moves, competitive abilities, and base stats are decided upon.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but derivative art is not, and blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material is not permitted. The following are examples of what counts as collaborative material (this list is not exhaustive):
  • a work made by multiple artists
  • a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist
  • a text prompt by a non-artist and execution by image generation software
  • a work by an artist and style transfer by image generation software
At the discretion of the CAP moderator team, posters may be asked to prove a design is they submitted is their own. Posters that fail to provide sufficient evidence of design ownership will be disqualified.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • The sizing rules apply to the original image only. Using the forum "resize" tool will not change the original size of the image.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.
Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that.
  • Any supporting material, if applicable, must be in a section below the main design with the header "Supporting Material". Including this header gives you an additional link back to your submission post from the poll.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.
By making a final submission:
  • The artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.
  • Should the design become the winning design, the artist should be prepared to answer any flavor questions about his/her design for the remainder of the CAP cycle. This includes but is not limited to:
    • 3D model
    • Pokedex data (weight/height/color)
Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed. Pixel art is permitted, as long as it is not intended to mimic the look of in-game sprites.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image without whitespace must be at least 50% of the width and height of the canvas.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza, Ezimba.
The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Deadline

Art submissions are due 48 hours after Stat Spread Poll results are posted.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This post was automatically generated using mackerel magic!

To have your art displayed here, please begin your post with WIP or Final Submission, followed by the image to be displayed!

This list does NOT identify whether your Final Submission is valid or not.

Updated 04-May-2023
AggSandwich

Amamama

ausma

BaffleTome

Bernartik

Bloopyghost

BlorengeRhymes

BobKingOfSeagulls

Brambane

Caladbolg

caninesfan

CelesteelYaMan

Chillie

D4rk3r

Darek

DougJustDoug

DrifblooomCF

EnderTrenton

Explosion Badger

Falchion

Felis Licht

flying moose

Gaboswampert

Golurkyourself

Gravity Monkey

Hatful0fBomb

HealthGage

IronTemplar

JAGFL

KaenSoul

Kiwi

Lectrys

lucasgvc

Magistrum

Magmajudis

Marcman24

mark6870

MoCBallyhoo

Moomany

Morghulis

Mos-Quitoxe

Mova

Mr. Qwil

NoahIOTJ

paintseagull

Panic Station

pecanbegone

Pinesmoke

Pipotchi

Quanyails

Quotidian

Raakshi

Reiga

Rugi

Sawyer.

Scizivire

Screamin'Demon

Sgt.Moose

Shadowshocker

ShinyOrthworm

SillyTopplingGoose

SirinC&Kokomi

skippergamez

smokeyinferno

sneakyjeans

Stefandipity

StephXPM

Sunfished

T-Okay

Tessamon

Tommaniacal

Unsee

Weakness Policy Contrary

woah :0

XavierTheCoolDudeX

YamiTheYin

Yellow Paint

Yilx

Yokaiju

Zephyri

Last edited by a moderator:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey all! In case you missed it, I wrote up a guide on the CAP art process, based on my observations and experience. If you're new to CAP or just looking to improve your design process, I highly recommend checking it out.

I'm looking forward to everyone else's submissions!

----

With that out of the way, here are a few ideas I've jotted down. These ideas are preliminary: I will focus and change these designs as appropriate as we get ability/defining moves/stats.

As always, feedback is appreciated!

tmp1.png

Inspirations for each design:

Top left:
  • biblically accurate angels ("burning wheels")
  • hula dancing + hula hoops
  • will-o-the-wisps
Top right:
  • Gazelle (Zootopia)
  • fashionistas/runway models
  • lava flows/obsidian
  • Okoye (MCU)
  • Pegasus + winged hussars
  • this fakemon
  • zebras
Bottom right:
  • kudagitsunes
  • Mozilla Firefox (tongue-in-cheek)
Bottom left:
  • baked goods (cakes, muffins, etc.)
  • Baroness von Bon Bon (Cuphead)
  • movies (silver screen magic)
  • popcorn
  • southern belles

Bonus: Original sketch of the top right design:

tmp2.png

Edit: Bonus idea:

tmp.png

Inspiration:

• bears
  • popcorn balls
  • rat kings

Last edited:
WIP

Cyclope CAP.png

First try for this edition. Inspired by Polyphemus, the cyclops of Odysseus' journey. If I remember correctly, Ulysses pokes his eye out with a burning stick.

I'm going to wait until we define the Pokémon's ability before I continue the search.

WIP

Sketch of an Haory Hawaiian Bat

30A372B6-16C9-4833-B399-B6689D677A8E.jpeg

Fire Inspo: The Myth of Pele, “fur” made of Peel’s Hair, (a glass that comes from volcanoes), wings of Fire, molten rock as “bone structure”
Fairy Inspo: It’s one of the two native land mammals of Hawai’i, making it sorta mythical in that right

Modedit: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Some early feedback:

StephXPM: You can't go wrong with a clown for Fire/Fairy, and as a result I really like this one. But maybe change the proportions? Its feet are rather big, and head rather small. No suggestions regarding the cake mon though. Even though your second version didn't change this I feel like it works now, hard to explain why

Mos-Quitoxe: Can I ask why it has four legs? If there is something regarding its origins that explains the four legs then that's understandable, it's possible that I'm missing something. But right now I just think it would look a little better with only two legs. Fire spirit with a hot spoon is a cool idea though and I look forward to see where you take this design. nvm I understand now

BaffleTome: Love the concept of a witch, only thing is it's kind of hard to make out its face. Maybe some more distinct eyes would help it out.

These are all great so far though.

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Concept 1 (top-right): A hedgehog but with lit matchsticks instead of prickles, based on the Little Matchstick Girl who saw visions in the fires she lit from her matches. Also with some costume design from Miss Tiggy-Winkle, the hedgehog washerwoman from Beatrix Potter. A concept for both Fire/Psychic and Fire/Fairy, so thankfully it works.
Concept 2 (top-left): Circus elephant with pyrotechnics, including a sparkler on his head, a flamethrower nozzle trunk, and hollow stumpy legs from which he projects fireballs to balance on. Maybe with some pink elephant inspiration thrown in.
Concept 3 (bottom): A fondue dog in a walking cheese pot, based on a stereotypical cartoon hellhound but with a cheesy twist, inspired by Cheese Tax, which has gone incredibly viral on TikTok about dogs responding in Pavlovian fashion whenever their silly hooman takes out some cheese. This might be the most meme/supporting art-worthy idea of the lot but I'm not entirely sold on making a dog for a generation that has already given us THREE.

THE CHEESE TAX. THE CHEESE TAX. And now it's in your head, too.

Kinda dig this one, but it looks more like a prevo. I'd want something more grand for a fully evolved Pokemon.

Also kinda dig this one.

I'm digging the two on the right, though at a glance they look like they could be Zebstrika and Serperior forms. That's mostly just from the sketch, though.
Fox has my vote in the bag regardless.

Mos-Quitoxe: Can I ask why it has four legs? If there is something regarding its origins that explains the four legs then that's understandable, it's possible that I'm missing something. But right now I just think it would look a little better with only two legs. Fire spirit with a hot spoon is a cool idea though and I look forward to see where you take this design.
It has four legs for a few reasons:
1. It's ultimately based on Ukobach, a minor devil from the 1818 Dictionnaire Infernal, so it's meant to look like it's emerging from a crucible as though summoned through alchemy.
2. I like Buzzswole a whole lot and I like what it's got going on anatomy-wise.
3. Partial inspiration from Doxies, which are fairies described as having two arms and four legs - unfortunately, I didn't realise that JK Rowling made them up for Harry Potter and they have no "real" basis in myth.
4. CAP voters have in recent years been not too kind to entries that are *wholly* humanoid, so I am trying to take steps to make it more "weird".

Thank you for the question! it's rare these days to get to answer a query on the forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)