CAP 31 Prevo - Part 1 - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Main Design (by Bloopyghost)

Now that we have our design for Saharaja's pre-evo, it's time to discuss what typing it should receive! Saharaja's typing, Ground, will automatically be slated. If you have other suggestions for this design's type, or if you want to support Ground, this is the thread for discussion!

You have 48 hours to discuss!

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
I might feel different if Saharaja wasn't monotype, but barring Mega Evolution, I don't believe any precedent exists in-game for a Pokemon to lose a type and become monotype upon base evolution, and removing the primary type is definitely out of the question even if we didn't care much about that. Optics aside, the design definitely just looks mono-Ground, between the sand mound and the dirtier, muddier look comparatively to Saharaja with nothing really to suggest it has another type.

Tl;dr, mono-Ground works completely fine imo and it's pretty optically sound.

I'd like to make a case for Normal type.

There's some precedence in the games for stage 1 Normal types to have a type change upon evolution. The ones that come to mind are Swablu -> Altaria (Normal/Flying to Dragon/Flying), Fletchling -> Fletchinder (Normal/Flying to Fire/Flying), and Azurill -> Marill (Normal to Water, or Normal/Fairy to Water/Fairy from Gen 6 onwards).

Edit: CAP has also had Normal type prevos that changed type on evolution, those being Scratchet -> Tomohawk (Normal/Fighting to Flying/Fighting) and Voodoll -> Voodoom (Normal/Dark to Fighting/Dark).

I think thematically it also helps convey the rags-to-riches theme. Compared to the Ground type, the Normal type feels more mundane and weaker. This fits the prevo being a poor commoner compared to Saharaja being a nobleman.

Also, it'd be the first one of a rare few Normal type CAPs. Yay!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)