CAP 30 - Part 16 - Shiny Palette Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Read this:
  • CAP 30 shiny submissions will be submitted in pairs. This means that each final submission post should have two images: the first containing the front/back sprite for CAP 30b and the second containing the front/back sprite for CAP 30i. You may use different palettes between CAP 30b and CAP 30i.
  • When making shinies, use the sprites posted within this post, rather than ones that have been posted in previous threads. The sprites posted here have been edited to make them easier to work with when creating shinies.

The rules are listed below with changes highlighted in green.

-----

CAP 30 So Far

-----

Shiny Palette Rules
  • Shiny palettes must be submitted as palette swaps of the winning sprite entry. No other modifications to the image may be made.
  • Colors in a shiny palette must have the same relative hue and brightness compared to the corresponding color on the original sprite.
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark red
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> white
        • Dark blue -> gray
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> gray
        • Dark blue -> black
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> dark green
        • Dark blue -> light green
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark green
      [*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
  • Images must be in PNG format.
No more than three shiny palettes per forme can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the shiny palette rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, then the sprites for CAP 30b (both sprites in one image), then the sprites for CAP 30i (both sprites in another image), and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • The final submission images must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Sprites:

Temporary File 1.png

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
WIP 1

30bshiny1.png

30ishiny1.png

I made its purple ink black and changed the book color to blue to match it a little better. The pen and gilded highlights on the book also are a little bit more darker, and its pages are a bit dimmer as well. The color of the bookmark was recolored to match the color palette of the regular form's ink.

WIP 2

30bshiny2.png

30ishiny2.png

Same thing as WIP 1, but the blue on the book is a little more saturated. Tough to decide between which one looks better.

Last edited:
WIP

Trainer beware, you're in for a scare... Goosebumps! Hah, so yeah. This is based around the ink, which reminded me of the slime in the 90s Goosebumps TV show intro when turned green. I may darken some of the outline green and lighten the darker orange a bit before the final submission, but for now I'm pretty happy with this and the feedback it's gotten on the Discord server.

WIP

Venomicon.png

Venomicon-E (1).png

Thought for a double confined/unbound form shiny, gold would be perfect, as it references Hoopa's shinies. Gold also has a history of being considered toxic, even in literature. The famous British author Shakespeare spoke of gold as the worst poison to human soul, reinforcing my belief in gold being interesting. The ink's color was changed into black, to contrast with the new golden color. The head color is also golden, as it contrasts well with the black ink once again. (Advancement is left in attachments.)

Attachments

Last edited:
Final Submission

Venomicon.png

Venomicon-E (1).png

The golden palette references another two-form shiny in Hoopa. Gold also has a history of being considered toxic, even in literature. The famous British author Shakespeare spoke of gold as the worst poison to human soul. The ink being a dark color contrasts well: I chose black here since it is the usual color of ink. As an interesting afterthought, the whole golden thing could also be linked to "fool's gold", normally referring to pyrite. Pyrite is sturdier than gold, calling back quite nicely on the Stamina Ability. "Fool's gold" could also be taken literally, as no sane person would approach a cursed book such as Venomicon and this shiny's golden look is quite decieving.

Venomicon-E's head is golden instead of the more logic black too because I liked it better and because black actually makes it worse on that design to my mind. Plus, the shiny form kind of makes gold fade away into black ink on the cover of the book which feels consistent with the subject.

Last edited:
Final Submission

30A -2 copy.png

30A -4 copy.png

For this shiny, I decided to go for a new book look, which contrasts the more worn out looking original design. As a result, I went for a black cover with white pages. This simple design contrasts the unnatural bright teal smoke used to emulate poisonous gas. The gold accents are lighter to stand out from the cover more, and the red bookmark/ ribbon is the color of the original sprite's cover.

Last edited:
Final Submission

I chose the color combo of grey and red for the shiny to give it a huge contrast to the generally darker base form while still looking sinister. Grey/white and red is an underrated color combination and I think it fits perfectly with with Venomicon's basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)