Monotype Cambrian Sea (Peaked 1813)

Banner and Text by Moosical (aka torkool)

Hey all this is GoldenTorkoal with another RMT, this time about one of my favourite teams to use and i'd also say, one of the best teams i have ever built this gen. The idea this team is built around is Rockium Z Kabutops, slightly different from the conventional rain teams which can be usually found on the ladder. Sword Dance and the aforementioned Z-crystal provides Water teams a different approach to deal with massive threats such as Mega Venusaur or Tapu Bulu. I have always enjoyed bringing RMTs based on underused Pokemon so without further ado let's take a deep look into Cambrian Sea!

As mentioned before, this team is meant to be built around the Dome fossil Pokemon which perfoms as a physical wallbreaker for the team. Kabutops is a massive threats for types such as Bug, Fire, Flying or Dark, as well as an asset to dismantle Poison and Grass defensive backbone. For all these reasons, Kabutops represents an interesting choice to consider when building a rain team.

Pelipper was the obvious choice for the second slot since Kabutops can only work under rain and Pelipper is the best rain setter Water has access to (sorry Politoed). I opted for a Choice Specs set in order to have a special wallbreaker to dismantle defensive cores with the combination of Hydro Pump plus Hurricane, unresisted by most of the metagame.

The next choice for the team was the most famous rain Pokemon: Mega Swampert. Everybody who plays this game knows the reasons why Mega Swampert should be your first choice for a rain team, which go from acting as an electric immunity to being a monster under rain while being able to set up Stealth Rock.

I opted for Keldeo for the fourth slot basically because of its ability to murder Normal teams, which have the most annoying defensive core in the metagame in Chansey and Porygon2. However, Keldeo does not only fill that role since it has the power to threaten Steel, Ground, Rock and Dark teams with the combination of Secret Sword and Hydro Pump.

I did not want to be threatened turn 1 by Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko or Expert Belt Greninja, which led me to decide i need Choice Scarf Greninja as the next member of the team. The frog also helps the team to deal with Psychic, Flying and Dragon teams.

Initially, i considered Rotom-W as the last member of the team as it could act as a defensive pivot while being able to defog hazards, but after testing the team i noticed it was really weak to Dragon-types, specially Latios and Kommo-o. This was the main reason that led me towards replacing Rotom-W with another Pokemon that could perform better as the glue for the team.

Tapu Fini was the last addition to the team as it gave me an immunity to Dragon-type moves and a dedicate defogger to deal with opposing hazards (specially Toxic Spikes). This Tapu can also serve as a fighting check and a steall breaker with the help of Nature's Madness and Taunt.

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Sword Dance
Stone Edge
Liquidation
Superpower

Kabutops is not a Pokemon you are usually going to find in a Water team, but it does have a very specific niche Water teams can take advantage of. Maximum Speed investment along with Swift Swim allows it to outspeed a large amount of threats under the rain, such as Nihilego, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Thundurus-Therian and Kyurem-Black, which makes Kabutops a very valuable asset for Rain teams. The Dome Fossil Pokemon also brings to the table another important tool for rain teams, which is no other than being able to murder some of the defensive Pokemon that rain teams struggle to break: Mega Venusaur, Mantine, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Chansey and Porygon2. The combination of Sword Dance and Rockium Z allows it to become a fearsome physical wallbreaker that threatens Bug, Dark, Electric, Fire and Flying teams. Stone Edge and Liquidation are respectively Kabutops' STAB Rock- and Water-type attacks and its more powerful moves in terms of Base Power. Superpower is coverage that hits Normal-, Rock-, Ice-, Dark- and Steel-types such as Mega Lopunny, Cradily, Sandslash-Alola, Bisharp and Ferrothorn. Alongside its partner in crime (Mega Swampert) it is a monster under the rain, and not many Pokemon would appreciate switching in a move from Kabutops.

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
Hydro Pump
Hurricane
Ice Beam /
Defog
U-turn

Pelipper is the rain setter of choice as it can provide more value to rain teams than Politoed. Maximum Special Attack investment along with a Modest Nature allows Pelipper to hit as hard as possible, becoming a very decent special wallbreaker with the help of Choice Specs. Hurricane is Pelipper's STAB Flying-type attack which threatens Grass- and Bug-type Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur and Mega Pinsir. The rain pelican almost always gets a kill every time it comes in against Grass-type teams, which proves the amazing value it has appart from Drizzle. Hydro Pump under rain allow Pelipper to break some annoying walls such as Mega Sableye or Celesteela, which can be a problem for the team. Ice Beam was the the third move of choice to avoid Mega Altaria to set up multiple Dragon Dances, which would allow it to outspeed both Kabutops and Mega Swampert as they run an Adamant nature. However i feel like Defog might be a better choice to clear entry hazards such as Sticky Web and Stealth Rock. U-turn allows Pelipper to act as a pivot to gain momentum and give teammates a free switch.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stealth Rock
Waterfall
Earthquake
Sludge Wave /
Ice Punch /
Power-Up Punch

Mega Swampert is the most famous rain Pokemon for several good reasons. Its Ground typing means it can act as the Electric immunity of the team, which is one of the most important roles in a Water team. Mega Swampert can also set up Stealth Rock which facilitates sweeping for him and for its teammates weaking the opposing team with residual damage, specially Bug-, Fire- and Flying-types such us Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y and Dragonite. Finally, its base 150 Attack along Swift Swim plus maximum Speed investment allow Mega Swampert to become a fearsome sweeper under rain. Waterfall is the STAB Water-type Attack of choice to deal super effective damage to Fire-, Ground- and Rock-types such as Victini, Hippowdon and Mega Diancie. Earthquake is its strongest STAB Ground-type Attack to deal with Pokemon that Waterfall cannot such as Toxapex, Gastrodon or Jellicent. This particular move eases the matchup against Poison and combined with Kabutops lets the team have a really good shot of succeeding. For the last slot i chose Sludge Wave to have an additional check to Tapu Bulu appart from Greninja, but options such as Ice Punch to hit Dragon-types like Latias or Power-Up Punch to boost Mega Swampert's Attack seem like good alternatives.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Secret Sword
Hydro Pump
Scald
Hidden Power Electric

Choice Specs Keldeo is the second special wallbreaker of the team, playing an essential role against Normal teams. Its STAB Normal-type attack, Secret Sword, along with the increased power due to Choice Specs, allows Keldeo to threaten Normal teams defensive core formed by Chansey and Porygon2. This move also helps Keldeo to deal with Water immune Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Gastrodon and Cradily, which are the main way Ground and Rock teams have to deal with Water-types. But Keldeo does not only threaten Normal teams, but is also a key against Steel, Ground, Rock and Dark. Scald is Keldeo's primary STAB move, hitting most of the metagame for solid damage and having the chance to burn opposing foes, while Hydro Pump has more power in return of less accuracy. Finally, Hidden Power Electric hits Pokemon such as Toxapex, Azumarill and Mantine that resist Keldeo's STAB moves. Keldeo's Speed allows it to check opposing threats such as Volcarona and Nihilego, as both have access to Grass coverage.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Naive Nature
Gunk Shot
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
U-turn

Choice Scarf Greninja avoids the team going down to five Pokemon since turn one, as it can outspeed threats such as Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko and Ninetales-Alola and OHKO them with Gunk Shot. Greninja acts as the revenge killer of this team, improving matchups against Dragon, Electric, Fairy, Flying, Grass and Psychic, which are very relevant types in the metagame. Its base 122 Speed, Protean and coverage it can learn allows Greninja to excel at the role of revenge killer. As mentioned above, Gunk Shot is needed to deal with massive threats such as Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko. Ice Beam is the second move of choice turning Greninja into a wincon against Flying, Dragon and Ground teams, helping with threats such as Thundurus-Therian, Mega Altaria and Latios. Dark Pulse was chosen for the third slot because the team was really weak to Psychic, and it allows Greninja to nail Slowbro, Gengar and Mew for super effective damage. U-turn allows Greninja to act as a pivot to gain momentum and give teammates a free switch. A Naive Nature is run to be able to take an Extreme Speed from Dragonite after Stealth Rock damage.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Taunt
Moonblast
Nature's Madness
Defog

Tapu Fini is the last but not the least important member of the team. It avoids opposing Latios from spamming Draco Meteor and walls Kommonium Z Kommo-o, which would otherwise represent two massive threats for this team. Tapu Fini can also act as a stallbreaker with the combination of Taunt, Misty Surge and Nature Madness, which allow it to avoid status from opposing foes as well as recovering from walls such as Chansey and Mantine. Taunt also allows Tapu Fini not being set up fodder for Pokemon like Dragon Dance Gyarados or Mega Tyranitar while preventing Toxapex for setting up Toxic Spikes. Maximum Speed investment along with Timid Nature let Tapu Fini to outspeed Pokemon such as Breloom and Mega Altaria, which can be hit for super effective damage with Tapu Fini's primary STAB Fairy-type move: Moonblast. Defog is the move chosen for the last slot so Tapu Fini can clear opposing hazards such as Sticky Web from Galvantula or Spikes from Klefki.

This has been one of the teams i've enjoyed the most while also being one of the teams built by me that led me break 1800 on ladder, which is remarkable for an average player like me. I've put a lot of work in this team, which has been rewarded by the huge amount of fun i've had with it while laddering in Monotype. Kabutops is an interesting choice when it comes to building a Water team that has proved to be very valuable to deal with Pokemon that usually wall rain teams (btw clicking +2 Continental Crush is one of the most satifying things to do in Pokemon). I'm really happy with the final result of this team, although i believe it can be improved. Thanks for reading!

Galvantula is a huge threat for this team due to its Electric and Grass coverage, while also having the possibility to set up Sticky Web, which won't be appreciated for a team that works around Speed. Mega Pinsir can hit really hard with its base 155 Attack which combined with its high natural Speed make it a fearsome Pokemon for rain teams (not to mention Sword Dance and priority Quick Attack). Although you would almost never find it in the opposing team, Mega Heracross represents a threat for this team due to its natural bulk and high Attack as well as its coverage (Bullet Seed+Rock Blast). Despite the fact that Volcarona is weak to Water-type moves, it can sweep this team if rain isn't up and Pelipper does not hit Hydro Pump. The lack of a good Grass check makes Yanmega very dangerous, as Speed Boost plus Giga Drain forces the team to keep Pelipper with 100 % HP.

Subzero Slammer Kyurem-Black can OHKO Mega Swampert and run through the rest of the team with Fusion Bolt. Choice Band Dragonite can at least 2HKO every member of the team which added to Multiscale and Extreme Speed, make it a very dangerous Pokemon for rain teams. Mega Altaria's natural bulk along outspeeding both Mega Swampert and Kabutops under rain at +2 are also a problem for this team.

Alolan Raichu outspeeds the whole team under the Electric Terrain and has access to Electric and Grass coverage, which makes it able to OHKO every member of the team. Rotom-W is a nuisance due to its Ground immunity and Will-o-Wisp.

Tapu Bulu is the number one threat for this team for obvious reasons, which are basically its base 130 Attack, Grass Surge and Horn Leech. Tapu Koko is one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame that can run Electric and Grass coverage (although this last is not very common). Mimikyu's Disguise along with Sword Dance is a big problem for an offensive team like this. Mega Diancie can also be a problem because of its coverage (Diamond Storm, Earth Power) and its high base Attack and Special Attack.

Mega Charizard Y is one of the biggest threats for a rain team, as it can set up sun thanks to Drought and usually runs both Grass and Electric coverage in Solar Beam and Hidden Power Electric.

Flying has 3 of the most dangerous Pokemon for this team. Agility Thundurus-Therian sweeps the team after getting +2 Speed and there is little you can do about it since it can run Thunderbolt and Grass Knot. SubToxic Zapdos, although is not very common nowadays, is another annoying mon with the combination of Discharge and Toxic. You would also need to play very carefully to avoid getting swept by Metronome Celesteela, which always run Giga Drain.

Gourgeist is neither the most common Pokemon in the metagame nor a huge threat for this team, but its Grass typing along with Will-o-Wisp should take your attention if you do not want to lose.

The lack of a proper Grass check makes this team extremely week to Grass-type Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Serperior, Celebi, Breloom and Mega Venusaur. Breloom is specially threatening as its most common set runs Bullet Seed, Spore. Mach Punch and Focus Sash.

Alolan Ninetales' high Speed along with Snow Warning, Aurora Veil and Freeze-Dry are just too much for a rain team.

Choice Scarf Ditto will always be a nuisance for offensive oriented teams like this, preventing your set up sweepers for autowinning the matchup.

Calm Mind Mega Latias is one the Pokemon this team has most trouble to deal with due to its natural bulk and Speed. Double dance Mew and Mega Gallade will always be a threat for offensive oriented teams behind the screens, as they both have moves to boost its offensive power in Nasty Plot and Sword Dance, respectively.

Kabutops @ Rockium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Superpower

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Defog

Inkedpeak2_LI.jpg

Moosical for making the banner and text as cool as always. One of the nicest guys in monotype
Perish Song for helping me with the first steps of this team and always answering my doubts
Eien for all the provided help in the Monotype room in PS

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)