C&C Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

The reason this was locked should have been explained to you when the moderator locked your thread and moved it, but I'll do it for you now!

So it looks like you were trying to write Weavile for OU? The first part of the process that needs to be noted is that the analysis writing team is usually only accepting analyses for certain Pokemon at any one time, this lets writing focus on the most important mons that need to go up first, and tends to be released based on order on the VR.

The first thing you want to do if you want to write for something is to have a look at the reservation thread for the tier, in this case for OU this is the link.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-reservation-index.3714276/

This thread should explain the process for each specific tier, once you've read their rules and checked their formatting thread, you want to then check out the Reservations that are currently available for you to take at the bottom of the original post,

View attachment 491942

In this case there isn't any available for OU right now due to the Chien-pao suspect having just happened, and the Espathra quick ban too. When the OU team decides that they want to release more Pokemon to write, they will announce it in the Happenings Thread and/or reservation index, and you will see which Pokemon you can write for in the Unreserved section.

When you follow this process, the OU QC team will have sets in mind that they wish for you to write, you will typically only reserve one specific set from the list. If your set isn't in this list, you can make a case for including it in the OU discord's analysis channel section. You can also discuss your sets within the OU forum otherwise, making sure to follow the OU forums rules for this.

-----

On the topic of the set you posted however, you should bear in mind that with the following comment:

You will be expected to write a paragraph on this if you decide to write an analysis. One of the most important things for you to do is to get experience with using the Pokemon yourself, this should give you a good idea of exactly how the Pokemon's set plays, and the sort of teams you would find it on. Big things to consider for an offensive Pokemon such as this are things like,

• Does this Pokemon need support getting onto the field to break because its quite frail and unable to switch in much? If so what sort of Pokemon tend to bring it in reliably on its desired opposing Pokemon.
  • Does this Pokemon struggle to break certain walls within the tier? What other Pokemon that tend to be checked by it can help it overwhelm it and break through it?
  • Does it appreciate entry hazards to help wallbreak? What setters tend to pair best with it.
  • Does it need entry hazard removal? Choiced weavile in this case is Rocks weak so it probably does, so think about what defoggers and/or rapid spinners best synergise with it. can they also help check Pokemon that threaten it, provide it with pivoting support, put pressure on its checks through stuff like knock off / status?
  • Defensive pivots that can handle some of the offensive checks you tend to struggle with. In particular note if these provide other benefits to you such as hazards or removal, chip damage, pivoting etc.
For the format currently being used you will typically want this to be fairly concise but you'll want to cover all the important things that are particularly necessary to the Pokemon. In general having a checklist like this that you can work through will help you work out what things are most important to the Pokemon in question and should therefore be mentioned.

----

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Thanks! I was a bit confused about the whole thing - is there any thread or forum I can post unrestricted sets?

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Thanks! I was a bit confused about the whole thing - is there any thread or forum I can post unrestricted sets?
You can discuss sets of Pokemon in the OU metagame in the OU metagame thread - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ion-see-post-6813-new-tiering-survey.3710915/. In general I would check out the rules thread of whichever tier you expect to post about in their respective forum though. When posting in the metagame thread you would also want to discuss this from a point of view of discussing said sets place in the meta and why its good etc, instead of just writing an analysis.

Am I allowed to unofficially GP check posts cause I want to gain experience/help out the GP team/ am bored want to do something productive? Obviously not an official GP check (leaving it at the current number of GP checks).

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Am I allowed to unofficially GP check posts cause I want to gain experience/help out the GP team/ am bored want to do something productive? Obviously not an official GP check (leaving it at the current number of GP checks).
In general yes you can do AM (amateur) GP checks on analyses, although the spotlights section does not allow this due to the fast pace. As you mention yourself these do not count towards the number of GP checks on an analysis unless a GPer specifically stamps your check however.

You can view more about the AM GP checking process here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-new-writers-please-read.3588923/post-7122055, which explains everything in good detail!

Once you have a few GP checks under your belt you could also apply to the GP tutoring programme here if you are interested https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gp-tutoring-info-signups-here.3714006/, and get 1-to-1 help from an official GPer on improving further.

I’m writing the analysis for defensive Tauros-F, but the set isn’t in the Smogon Strategy Dex yet. Is there somewhere else it can be found?

Estarossa

moo?
C&C Leader
I’m writing the analysis for defensive Tauros-F, but the set isn’t in the Smogon Strategy Dex yet. Is there somewhere else it can be found?
You can ask in OU Discord for the set the QC team wants you to use. I'll bring it up in the QC team channel personally now for you though so someone can post the exact set wanted in your thread for you.

In general since you should have a good understanding of a Pokemon before you reserve it you should be able to just start writing and ask the QC team to confirm your set is what they want in general though! (Also please clarify the tier in question you are asking for in general for questions in here since I had to find your thread to confirm this was for OU :o)

Edit: it actually is on the dex, but its under Tauros-Paldea-Blaze which is why you might have missed it. https://www.smogon.com/dex/sv/pokemon/tauros-paldea-blaze/ou/

Hey, so a while back May, one of the biggest contributors to RBY analysis writing disabled her account. With that a bunch of completely finished analysis have been archived; for example:

Jynx Stadium OU Mini: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/jynx-stadium-ou-mini-qc-1-2-gp-0-1.3706511/

Alakazam Tradebacks OU full: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alakazam-tradebacks-ou-qc-1-2-gp-0-2.3705110/

Lapras Ubers full: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lapras-uber-qc-0-2-gp-0-2.3704527/

Since they are fully complete and some even have QCs on them would reposting them so they can be fully implemented be possible? I do have May's permission through discord to do this as well.

Note: The aforementioned tiers have barely if at all changed since these analysis were posted; RBY Ubers, Tradebacks and Stadium had very few if any notable developments since then. Analysis on the RBY lower tiers - namely UU - would indeed be scrapped fully due to having suffered big shifts recently n such

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How many analyses do you need for the Contributor badge?
Short answer: There isn't a specific amount.
Long answer: To my knowledge, there are internal guidelines that C&C Staff uses to decide who to nominate for the badge. I do know that I was nominated for the badge with approximately 14 analyses and 15 Quality Control checks. It is important to remember however, that quality plays a huge part in if someone gets nominated for this badge. Though do note that someone with bad quality but a super high quantity can get nominated, it is more common for someone with high quality and mid quantity to get nominated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)