C&C Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So it turns out there's been a lot more history on "he/she" vs "it" and "which/that" vs "who" when referring to Pokemon. It's mostly been a mixture for most of Smogon's history, but has been settled to use only genderless language, even for Pokemon that are only one gender, since December 2, 2016.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...writer-looks-out-for.34211/page-2#post-899384
This is the earliest post I can find on smogon discussing GP standards of any sort. It's originally done with "who"
'Pokemon are referred to as "people". Meaning, you use the pronoun "who" instead of "which" or "that".'

Later in that thread, though, there's this, questioning how using the Pokemon as "who", not "which" and more generally as people would work with gendered and genderless Pokemon
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...riter-looks-out-for.34211/page-7#post-2419891

Ultimately, new grammar standards (the first official ones from what I can tell) are compiled and posted here in 2010(?):
https://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_grammar_standards
'You may use the pronoun "who" instead of "which" or "that" and use "he" or "she" to refer to Pokemon as people if you so desire. It must be consistent for the entire article or analysis if this is done, however.'

But some time pretty soon after (still in 2010), there is a proposed rules change.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/standards-for-grammar-spelling-and-style.67445/
In these grammar standards, it says "Pokemon are referred to as "it". You don't talk about how Hippowdon uses his high Defense to wall physical hits, you talk about its high Defense."

Then, still in 2010, we have this thread, saying to use "who" and gendered pronouns
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/setting-the-record-straight-grammar.71222/

In 2011, the standards are back to using whichever you prefer:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.102407/

Still use either in the 2013 standards:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3490681/

The next standards I think were these ones from 2016, and this is the standard that has held til today. No one seemed to care about the change, though perhaps we were more focused on the many other changes of SM instead.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3588427/
Here the rule is
'You may not use the pronouns "who", "he", and "she" instead of "which", "that", and "it" to refer to Pokemon; stick with genderless pronouns.'

The reason given was:
- Gendered pronouns to refer to Pokemon are no longer allowed; only use "it", "which", and "that" from here on out. Reasoning is that gendered pronouns carry the nuance that they refer to a singular, gendered character, whereas analyses by default discuss the species as a whole, for which only gender-neutral pronouns are appropriate. This does not just cover arbitrarily assigning a gender to Pokemon like Sylveon, Gardevoir, and Haxorus; also use "it" for the likes of Chansey, Gallade, and Jynx

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere.
I wrote up a build I was going to post on the site and when reading the rules one of them is to not use other peoples work even a little. My build does take inspiration from an older build and in the build (Currently just a note pad file), I have given credit the creator of the old build even though I have rewritten pretty much everything from scratch. I was wondering if this is okay, would I need to ask the old creator for their permission or should I just tell them to post it themselves.

Thanks in advance

I’m looking to make an amcheck on an analysis, but I can’t find one with [GP x/2]. I do see quite a few analyses with [QC x/2]. Could someone please explain the difference between GP and QC, and whether I can amcheck an analysis with [QC x/2]?

Reactions: gum

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I’m looking to make an amcheck on an analysis, but I can’t find one with [GP x/2]. I do see quite a few analyses with [QC x/2]. Could someone please explain the difference between GP and QC, and whether I can amcheck an analysis with [QC x/2]?
qc checks are made by members of the respective qc team, which ensure the quality of the content that goes on the dex. gp checks, on the other hand, are there to make sure that all analyses respect the writing standards, and they focus on the grammar. they are done by gp members. you can am check an analysis under qc, but you'd have to focus on the content itself and not the grammar, while the opposite is true for am gp checks. you can find a more detailed answer on this thread. here is an example of a qc check, and one of a gp check from an analysis i wrote not too long ago. hope this helps!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I know smogon's naming conventions for mons is standardized to Species-Forme, where the "less common" forms use the suffix and the "more common" or "base" form doesn't, and that makes sense, but what's up with urshifu? Why is Urshifu-Single-Strike referred to as just "Urshifu" whereas only Urshifu-Rapid-Strike gets the suffix? The normal rules don't really apply here for figuring out which is the "base" form, so they should both have suffixes.

Reactions: ttr

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I know smogon's naming conventions for mons is standardized to Species-Forme, where the "less common" forms use the suffix and the "more common" or "base" form doesn't, and that makes sense, but what's up with urshifu? Why is Urshifu-Single-Strike referred to as just "Urshifu" whereas only Urshifu-Rapid-Strike gets the suffix? The normal rules don't really apply here for figuring out which is the "base" form, so they should both have suffixes.
They do both have suffixes. The proper forme name in analyses for Urshifu-Single-Strike is Urshifu-S, not Urshifu, making it Urshifu-S for Single-Strike and Urshifu-R for Rapid-Strike.

This was determined awhile back in TDP's post in the Spelling & Grammar Standards.
Urshifu forme names: Urshifu-S and Urshifu-R yn?

We have some other options, i.e. two-letter suffixes for both or no suffix for Single Strike which most commonly seems to be considered the "default" forme, but having one-letter suffixes where reasonably possible & having suffixes on both if there's no real good logical reason to consider either the base forme is most in line with existing precedents. Will make this official very soon if no alternate perspectives are offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: gum

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
They do both have suffixes. The proper forme name in analyses for Urshifu-Single-Strike is Urshifu-S, not Urshifu, making it Urshifu-S for Single-Strike and Urshifu-R for Rapid-Strike.

This was determined awhile back in TDP's post in the Spelling & Grammar Standards.
That's not what I see on places like showdown and the site dex though, like here it just has "Urshifu" and "Urshifu-Rapid-Strike".

Reactions: ttr

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
That's not what I see on places like showdown and the site dex though, like here it just has "Urshifu" and "Urshifu-Rapid-Strike".
Hi, I know I'm a bit late to replying, but PS does not use Smogon's grammar standards and the analyses you linked have since been rectified to use Urshifu-S; some of the earlier analyses that use(d) Urshifu were GPed before the new standard for the forme names was introduced. If you see an instance of this on the dex still, feel free to make a CMS request to fix it or let a GPer know so they can fix it themselves.

Why are moves and abilities with no competitive use described as "no competitive use" but items with no competitive use have descriptions that describe their in-game use?

Other than black Kyurem's gen 8 DOU analysis, do any of the analyses use a neutral nature? I'm sure there's a computer program somewhere out there that can automatically search every analysis ever written to answer this question.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I'm aware that using Speed EVs to outspeed a specific Pokemon that already has a specific number of Speed EVs isn't allowed, to avoid speedcreep, but is placing 4 filler EVs in Speed allowed or not?

For example, here Umbreon has its 4 leftover EVs in speed "to outspeed uninvested Scizor"... but Scizor runs 4 speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Alomomola. Is this speedcreep or not?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm aware that using Speed EVs to outspeed a specific Pokemon that already has a specific number of Speed EVs isn't allowed, to avoid speedcreep, but is placing 4 filler EVs in Speed allowed or not?

For example, here Umbreon has its 4 leftover EVs in speed "to outspeed uninvested Scizor"... but Scizor runs 4 speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Alomomola. Is this speedcreep or not?
From Eyan's thread:

"Lastly, for Pokemon like Reuniclus that would have an excess 4 EVs (assuming it's a standard 252 HP / 252 Def), it's fine to put them into Speed, although it's usually better to put them somewhere else to avoid confusion regarding Speed creeping Pokemon of the same base Speed."

Imo you don't even need to describe what the remaining four do ever, unless they legitimately accomplish something. (Ie. 4 evs would place it 1 point higher than max speed something).

Are heavy-duty boots plural (I.e., Heavy-Duty Boots are invaluable) or singular (I.e., Heavy-Duty Boots is invaluable)? I would have assumed plural, but at least this analysis uses the singular form.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Are heavy-duty boots plural (I.e., Heavy-Duty Boots are invaluable) or singular (I.e., Heavy-Duty Boots is invaluable)? I would have assumed plural, but at least this analysis uses the singular form.
Singular, as per the grammar standards:
When written as a single object, even naturally plural items are treated as singular (Leftovers is a good item choice on bulky Pokemon. Choice Specs is put to excellent use on Jolteon).

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I’m interested in writing an article for Flying Press. How do I access it? Do I DM Lumari or Quite Quiet for it or is there another method?

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I’m interested in writing an article for Flying Press. How do I access it? Do I DM Lumari or Quite Quiet for it or is there another method?
If you have an idea for an article you would need to submit it to the "article approvals" forum under The Flying Press, found here. Before doing so however, I suggest reading this.

If your idea eventually gets approved you'll gain access to the Media HQ forum where you can write your draft and get it quality and grammar checked.

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
When is it scheduled to open C&C for lower tiers in Gen 9?
There isn't really a concrete schedule for C&C in regards to lower tiers, since they're all still figuring out things like resources and making tiering decisions and such. If there's a specific tier you're interested in C&C for, then you can ask in the PS! rooms / Discord servers / forums (assuming they have a simple questions simple answers thread up). Sorry I couldn't give you a more conclusive answer.

Have a nice day!

What should someone do if their analysis thread was locked? I'm new to writing and don't want to ruffle any feathers I'm just trying to share my sets.

I don't fully understand the whole process - it's difficult for me to find a thread explaining it all.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
What should someone do if their analysis thread was locked? I'm new to writing and don't want to ruffle any feathers I'm just trying to share my sets.

I don't fully understand the whole process - it's difficult for me to find a thread explaining it all.
The reason this was locked should have been explained to you when the moderator locked your thread and moved it, but I'll do it for you now!

So it looks like you were trying to write Weavile for OU? The first part of the process that needs to be noted is that the analysis writing team is usually only accepting analyses for certain Pokemon at any one time, this lets writing focus on the most important mons that need to go up first, and tends to be released based on order on the VR.

The first thing you want to do if you want to write for something is to have a look at the reservation thread for the tier, in this case for OU this is the link.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-reservation-index.3714276/

This thread should explain the process for each specific tier, once you've read their rules and checked their formatting thread, you want to then check out the Reservations that are currently available for you to take at the bottom of the original post,

1676311622067.png

In this case there isn't any available for OU right now due to the Chien-pao suspect having just happened, and the Espathra quick ban too. When the OU team decides that they want to release more Pokemon to write, they will announce it in the Happenings Thread and/or reservation index, and you will see which Pokemon you can write for in the Unreserved section.

When you follow this process, the OU QC team will have sets in mind that they wish for you to write, you will typically only reserve one specific set from the list. If your set isn't in this list, you can make a case for including it in the OU discord's analysis channel section. You can also discuss your sets within the OU forum otherwise, making sure to follow the OU forums rules for this.

-----

On the topic of the set you posted however, you should bear in mind that with the following comment:

I don't have a second paragraph - I'm not sure what teams the set is good on, or what pokemon it goes with.
You will be expected to write a paragraph on this if you decide to write an analysis. One of the most important things for you to do is to get experience with using the Pokemon yourself, this should give you a good idea of exactly how the Pokemon's set plays, and the sort of teams you would find it on. Big things to consider for an offensive Pokemon such as this are things like,

• Does this Pokemon need support getting onto the field to break because its quite frail and unable to switch in much? If so what sort of Pokemon tend to bring it in reliably on its desired opposing Pokemon.
  • Does this Pokemon struggle to break certain walls within the tier? What other Pokemon that tend to be checked by it can help it overwhelm it and break through it?
  • Does it appreciate entry hazards to help wallbreak? What setters tend to pair best with it.
  • Does it need entry hazard removal? Choiced weavile in this case is Rocks weak so it probably does, so think about what defoggers and/or rapid spinners best synergise with it. can they also help check Pokemon that threaten it, provide it with pivoting support, put pressure on its checks through stuff like knock off / status?
  • Defensive pivots that can handle some of the offensive checks you tend to struggle with. In particular note if these provide other benefits to you such as hazards or removal, chip damage, pivoting etc.
For the format currently being used you will typically want this to be fairly concise but you'll want to cover all the important things that are particularly necessary to the Pokemon. In general having a checklist like this that you can work through will help you work out what things are most important to the Pokemon in question and should therefore be mentioned.

----

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)